Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care Reviews

of reviewers recommend Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care

About Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care:

Established in 1938, Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care is a family-owned and family-run business and today we have over 175 branches. As we continue to grow, we’ve made sure that our core focus has remained the same… “Providing our customers with excellent service and clinical excellence.” Our branch teams are trained to become customer champions, and we’re always working to improve the experience we offer.

Tell us how Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care made you happy
My Mum had a hearing test in June with Scrivens. She only has hearing in one ear due to an acoustic neuroma so wanted to ensure that the hearing in her other ear is ok. She was told by the audiologist that she did still have some hearing in that ear, which could be improved with a hearing aid. Obviously, she was happy about this and was looking forward to being able to hear with both ears again, as she finds it very difficult in noisy environments to have conversations. She paid a deposit for her hearing aid. She went back on 26th July and was told that the audiologist that had assessed her had made a mistake with the hearing test. She was re-assessed and was told that she only had hearing in one ear and that a hearing aid wouldn’t help. Obviously she was upset about this. Scrivens had given her false hope that she would be able to hear fully again, and haven't done anywhere near enough to make up for this. This is completely unacceptable. They could have contacted her to inform her of this, rather than her going to the shop and expecting to pick up her hearing aid. She was told that she would get a refund for the deposit that she'd paid ‘as soon as possible’, yet she is still waiting - three weeks later. Customer service contacted her today but refused to give any indication when this would be provided. She has, so far, not received a proper apology from Scrivens head office. If Scrivens staff disappoint someone in this way then an apology, from head office, should be provided immediately. The refund should also be provided immediately. Scrivens have, through their failures, upset my Mum and continue to do so. This should’ve been sorted out already and, as it hasn't, it shows the lack of interest it has in its customer’s welfare. We will not be using Scrivens in the future!
Hi Chris, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We're going to investigate your feedback further so if you could email customercare@scrivens.com with your mother's details we will look into this for you.
Had &250 glasses bi focal couldn't read and distance was terrible blurred told they will get better absolute rubbish 1 experience was enough
Thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
I had a hearing test today at Altrincham Medical Practice, Scrivers staff never showed up nor bothered to let anyone know that they don't have plans to come. So all the people in the waiting room spent and at least hour and a half waiting for nothing... I would have put zero stars if allowed...
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to read you had such a frustrating experience, but we really appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. Please be assured that we will be passing this on to the appropriate department for you.
I cannot begin to vent the frustration with the hearing centre from poor service, poor hearing test, poor fitting of equipment, lack of staff and bookings available at each centre, being told the next nearest branch is 6 miles away (if you can walk on water) when actually its 19.1 miles away. It seems that they just really don't care and therefore it is little wonder that they are such a small enterprise never to grow big.
Hi Ivor, we've responded to your message that came in via Facebook and have passed your comments onto our customer care team.
The only reason I put 1 star is for the sales advisors. The manager ruined my experience. I have been coming to the Ripon branch for years and seen managers come and go. The current one I believe to be over powering and very intrusive. In appropriate comments regarding her personal life which I deem to be wrong in the workplace as well as pushing expensive disgner frames. I will return when I am next due but would prefer to just be dealt with by the other staff if possible. Ripon
I’m in shock at your Kingstanding branch. My mom went into the store today. She purchased some prescription sunglasses spending £189. With her was my 6 year old niece who became desperate for the toilet. When my mom asked if my niece could use the toilet in the store she was told “no, go up the road to the dentist”. What an absolute disgrace, where is the customer service, no concern whatsoever. 😡😡😡
Hi Scott, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
Went to Scrivens today,. I have asked if they could replace a missing screw on my glasses, they had to phone the lab and I was told it would cost £25 and they had to send glasses to the lab as they are designer. The same thing happened in the past very expensive and uninterested Scrivens, service below 0 on both branches I went, the assistant was more interested to make me an appointment for an eye test.
I would score 0 stars but that it not a option! I had 2 eye test with Scrivers and both were incorrect. I was left with glasses I could not wear as they made my vision blurry, gave me blood shot eyes and headaches. When I complained they refused to give me my money back! I have given them a second chance to correct the prescription still incorrect! Pleased do not go to Scrivers bad service all round. I when to spec savers and first time correct prescription. Please do not go there a waste of time and money.
Hi Helen, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
Branch manager was intimidating and felt peer pressured into buying. Would told she 'wasn't their to upsell' but wouldn't talk or explain anything about lower price range of specs/lenses. Wouldn't let her colleagues speak to me as a customer properly, kept interfering. Ripon Scrivens
Thank you for letting us know know about this. Your feedback helps us get better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com, we will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
I have used specsavers for years but they are getting expensive. I decided to try this company and to be honest never again. I paid for their top varifocals and they are totally useless. I will now need to go back to specsavers
Hi Nick, thank you for letting us know know about this. Your feedback helps us get better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com, we will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
Too expensive for glasses.
Thank you for letting us know know about this. Your feedback helps us get better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with your details, we will look into this issue for you.
Very unhappy with the level of care I received during my recent visit to the palmers Green branch. Totally unacceptable experience. I plan on moving to another optician as a result.
A letter and two phone calls to hustle me to the shop. Two and a half hours for the eye test. Three weeks wait for glasses. Pressured into buying extras which I had to return. And I am still waiting for a refund, been two weeks so far, told 5 to 7 days, go figure.
Hi Keith, thank you for letting us know know about this, your feedback helps us get better. We will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
It's always a pleasure to visit Scrivens in Poulton.Lisa and all girls are warm, friendly and very helpful.Opticians are very professional and courteous.
Hi Marie, thank you for your wonderful review! We’ll pass your comments onto your local branch, and we look forward to assisting you again in future.
I am really disappointed. I am thinking of what to do as i don't like the vision provided. I have terrible headache with these even after 1 week. I know that feeling you get when you wear new glasses, it takes 1 hour to get use to the new lenses. It's been 1 week and still not use to them.
Thank you for letting us know know about this. Your feedback helps us get better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with your details, we will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
When my husband had his eye test in January the optician referred him to the eye hosp because he had cataracts, he has had one done and came to see him again for glasses to be told he couldn’t give him glasses until he had the other eye done that was in March.He was sent an appt for the 25th June but got a letter this week cancelling it we have now got to wait for another date . This is after 18 weeks .My husband still will be wanting glasses if he needs them after the second operation . This is the reason why he’s hasn’t been to order glasses and such a shame that he will miss out on the half price offers you have .
Worst eye test I’ve ever had. The optician was constantly surprised by my answers to his questions about the lenses he was adjusting and the end result was worse than my existing prescription. The lens-holding frames used during the test wouldn’t sit on my face properly. At the end of the exam, the optician told me I had “weird” optic nerves (but didn’t say what that meant) which required a one year recall instead of the standard two. I was so unconvinced by the exam that I went to a different optician a week later, who said they had no idea why Scrivens’ guy had said my optic nerves were weird. The wait between my main exam and supplemental tests (peripheral vision) was ridiculously long and the examination room is far too small, requiring me to shift around for the optician to be able to get to my eyes.
Thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we’ll do better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with more information, we would love to make things right if you give us another chance.
I purchased 2 pairs of glasses 11 weeks ago. I was treated so nice with the manager and her staff no problems .on collecting my glasses 5 days after order I was delighted. but both pairs had a problem with the ear pieces coming off so I went back the following day. The manager fitted new ones but with the same problem. She said she would send them back to the supplier. They were returned with both lenses scratched and supper glue all over the frames to the point they had to be replaced. again they came back with transmissions lenses. Sent back again. came back with bog standard lenses not what I paid for. Sent back again but not arrived as yet.so I asked for a refund ,I was told to e mail and they will consider. After paying £800 for 2 pairs of glasses I am totaly disgusted with scrivens,I spoke to two people one was disrespectful and the other said he would e mail me but did not. You want a review imagine the reply yours mr m hayes.
Scriven sold a hearung aid to my 89 year old mother-in-law. A short period later her local service closed, asking her to make a long journey for check-ups to the next town. The opening hours are very limited (1 day a week). We are now facing additional bills of hundreds of pounds for finding another after care service. very disappointing and would not recommend.
Hi Sabine, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your mother's experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with more details, we will look into this for you.
I visited the Brandon branch of Scrivens because I knew there was a problem with my sight in one eye, unfortunately you never seem to see the same optometrist when visiting and so it was on this occasion. After explaining that I knew something was wrong the optometrist carried out the examination on both eyes, he wanted me to return in order to carry out further tests (no appointments available for about 3 to 4 weeks) but assured me that he could see nothing wrong and that I had nothing to worry about. Not convinced by his manner nor conclusion I visited a popular high street opticians for a second opinion about two weeks later, the optometrist listened carefully to my concerns and then gave my eyes the most thorough examination I have ever received. He referred me directly to the hospital where AMD was diagnosed in the eye that I was concerned about and treatment began soon afterwards. How one trained optometrist can spot this easily and another not is beyond me, do they not realise that people’s eyesight is precious and checks should be thorough whilst listening to the clients concerns? I have no faith in Scrivens at all now and am aware that the wrong diagnosis and therefore delay in getting this treated has cost me some of my sight in one eye, however I have nothing but praise for the professionalism of the optometrist at specsavers. Further to this nobody from Scrivens has made contact to offer an apology nor help of any kind.
Thank you for posting your review. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further, if you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will investigate this for you.
Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care is rated 4.55 based on 3,525 reviews