Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care Reviews

of reviewers recommend Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care

About Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care:

Established in 1938, Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care is a family-owned and family-run business and today we have over 175 branches. As we continue to grow, we’ve made sure that our core focus has remained the same… “Providing our customers with excellent service and clinical excellence.” Our branch teams are trained to become customer champions, and we’re always working to improve the experience we offer.

Tell us how Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care made you happy
Couldn’t get my wife’s or my glasses correct and have changed to a new opticians
Hi Martin, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
Do not use this business , avoid at all costs. See their shamelessness on FB before making an appointment. If like us the NHS send you there , be aware that this business is not helpful and pretty heartless. After looking at their reviews ask the NHS to send you somewhere else.i wish someone have given us this advice..
Hi Edwina, thank you for letting us know about this, your feedback helps us get better. We’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you.
my superb varnals was taken over by scrivens after being a client of varnals there for 30 years.it turned into a faceless,corporate non-entity.member of staff opened a letter i handed in in front of me!! later i received an abrupt phone call concerning my letter saying its not as simple as that!! had a major problem with a lensplan,which was never explained clearly to this day leaving me out of pocket for £240!! little offer of help.the store manager never contacted me once even though i complained direct to head office in birmingham. a shocking example of dire customer care,poor communication and total contempt for their clients.i will NEVER walk through their doors again-thank god. WARNING-DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MORE IMPORTANTLY YOUR HARD EARNED CASH ON THIS GARBAGE COMPANY.FIND A PLEASANT INDEPENDENT BUSINESS WHO HAS THEIR CLIENTS AT HEART. HAVE A MINUS 10 SCRIVENS-PATHETIC.
Hi David, thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we’ll do better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with more information, we would love to make things right if you give us another chance.
My husband was given an NHS appointment with Scrivens and has been poorly served and we have been left £100”s out of pocket..He was told he needed new hearing aids and that these would be compatible with his recently purchased Oticon streamer which he so desperately relies on :sadly it was not so upon seeking advice from Scrivens he was then told he would have to buy a Bernafon sound gate 3 : which he did even though it was very expensive but sadly again he could not connect to his phone so he again contacted Scrivens for advice who quite bluntly told him “that as he had not brought the equipment from them they could not help”. At no point was he even told they sold such equipment so now having spent a great deal of money which we can I’ll afford he is left isolated as he can’t even connect with his phone. He has contacted customer services who sent an automated response saying we would get a reply within 48 hours but sadly we never did. Simple kindness totally lacking .
Absolutely poor service at the Bolton branch. My Mum had an eye test and was given the wrong prescription. She had glasses made up at another opticians with this prescription. When Scrivens was asked about prescription they admitted their mistake and issued another prescription, which was also wrong! In total my Mum had 3 pairs of glasses made up with the all the wrong prescription supplied by Scrivens. When asked about some compensation due to all the messing about and inconvenience she was told, ‘no compensation’ as she’d not spent any money with them recently. She’d always bought her glasses with them previously. Really poor service, terrible attitude from the manager. I asked to speak to someone above her and she said there is on one, but had previously told me this decision had come from her manager! They kept changing their story when asked about the reason why the prescription had been incorrect! Just making it up to cover it up. DO NOT SHOP HERE! You have been warned. Also, when I contacted them to complain it took 2 weeks to get a response and I only got one then because I rang to chase it up. I’ve had to give 1 star but they don’t deserve that. My Mum is 82 and didn’t need the distress.
Hi, thank you for your review. We’re sorry to read you had such a frustrating experience, but we really appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention.
I booked a appointment with this company for an eye test and they cancelled it infront of me and gave it to someone else and I got time off work for nothing . Thanks for nothing I guess
Hi, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
Poor service, didn’t answer phone had to pester to get refund as they didn’t do what I asked for
Hi, thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we’ll do better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with more information, we would love to make things right if you give us another chance.
Good service on the day I had my eyes tested and was selecting new frames. However when I went back with a problem to resolve, not helpful at all, very unhelpful. I wanted sleeves on the arms of my frames, due to an allergic reaction. This is something previous opticians have always done for me in 35 years of spectacle wearing. The response this morning in your branch was to look on Amazon and do it myself! Not good service at all, won't be coming back and will advise friends not to.
Had my eye test done to get my new prescription glasses. Asked the lady for help to choose two pairs of glasses and she chose 2 for 100 pounds each not even pointing out the price beforehand. Ended up with 2 pairs of glasses which I cannot use as they give me blurred vision even after I went back to have them re- checked. Before I used Spacesavers and they done my glasses without any problems.
I purchased two pairs of glasses some month ago I could not use them one a pair of reading glasses and a so-called special set. the fames are good, but I could not read from either pair, I had a proper eye test in you store ...! waste of time and a lot of money £566 for two pairs of glasses, so I had to go buy some locally. the others are still in their cases with their recite, they were meant for me to read small print as that's what i need to work, there useless , there are more than 40 people on my village fourum who agree.
Hi, thank you for letting us know about this. Your feedback helps us get better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com, we will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
This is the second attempt to get a pair of glasses for my computer work. The first pair were useless as they did not focus properly. I strongly object to having to pay all over again. Further more it is extremely annoying to be charged extra for the lenses to be fitted into my own original frames from the first pair that were unusable. This is a total unnecessary overcharge. I am 100 dissatisfied.
Fed up with my appointment being pushed back for regular eye test followed by diabetic eye screening. I have used your services for a few years now but having my recent 14 January 2022 appointment cancelled again and now you can’t fit me in until March/April is becoming a real nuisance. Think I’ll use a more reliable company now.
Hi Bernie, thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we’ll do better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with more information, we would love to make things right if you give us another chance.
went to the fleetwood branch but could not open the shop door. Thankfully your kind staff came to my aid. Please do something with the door Stuart
Hi Stuart, thank you for letting us know about this, your feedback helps us get better. We’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you.
Good Morning I have just got off the phone with Lucy one of your advisors My 87 year old father has waited since November for a replacement hearing aid. My 85 year old Mother has tried and tried to get an answer on the telephone number when she eventually did get answer which has been twice the first one was no follow up and the second was the one which I took over in which Lucy just continually repeated herself when I asked to speak to her line manager I was refused every time even when I said to escalate the call . Lucy then went off to speak to her Manager and came back and said again no point in speaking to the Manager he will tell you the same thing as I am . Scrivens you take Government money paid in by us to provide a service previously provided by the NHS and you have failed badly shame on you. I am sure my Parents are not the only people who had this issue . Customer service clearly do not have enough staff to answer calls and do not have anything in place to follow up on complaints and queries . Maybe they just wait until the problem resolves itself ! Maybe you should realise the elderly people can’t sit on the telephone or hold a receiver for thirty Minutes plus while waiting for an answer. If I could I would give them no stars ! Shame on you !
I had my Eye Test at Scrivens milton keynes I have my glasses for a few months now but i am still very unhappy with them They re-made them with some adjustment but I STILL cannot uae them i dread my next appt with my consultant opthalmologist as i will noy be able to read a chart I cannot see in distance and i fear walking out doors wearing them I wish they had just copied my OLD Glasses which I am having to use for me it was a waste of money staff were very nice and caring M Beharry
Scrivens in St Giles Norwich have cancelled THREE appointments , at short notice, one with no notice! This might be a family-run business and family-owned but certainly NOT family-orientated. Customer service does not even warrant 1-star!
Hi, thank you for letting us know about this, your feedback helps us get better. We’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you.
I have hearing aids 4.5 years old and was told I could not have new ones, old ones to be sent off to be mended. 2 weeks later was told they could not be mended and I would need new ones. First available appointment due to shortage of staff was in 8 weeks time. Which was going to be this Thursday 2 December. Reminder sent from Scrivens Saturday 27th November. Then on Monday 29th November a call from Scrivens cancelled appointment indefinitely as they had no qualified audiologist and couldn't say when they would have one. So after nearly 3 months having to start process all over again. I have a terminal illness very poor hearing, which makes my frequent visits to hospital very difficult. This all happened at Plumstead Road Norwich branch.
I was told my glasses would be ready in two weeks It is now into the fourth week I have visited the branch in Crewe on two occasions now and been told that the glasses have been dispatched but still not arrived not happy m
I accompanied my Mother in law an 85 year old lady, to the Peterborough branch, we arrived 15 minutes early for a 16:30 appointment, she was called in for her eye test at 17:00 and came out at 17:40. When she asked if she could possibly use a toilet, she was told no we don’t have customer toilets. HELLO SHE IS EIGHTY FIVE YEARS OLD AND HAS BEEN KEPT WAITING 90 mins, then to be told try the Bull Hotel. Not good enough, won’t be back to choose anything.
I visited Thirsk Branch to buy glasses & they arrived 3 weeks later. However, I had asked for thin lenses and the glasses I was given were not thin. I was told that I would have to pay another £170 to have the lenses replaced. I did that but when I collected the new glasses I could not read with them & was told that the prescription had been altered when the lenses were changed . I said I wanted a refund & its taken 4 weeks of phone calls to Thirsk & Customer Services but refund has now arrived without a phone call or e-mail to let me know. I would not recommend Thirsk Branch, when there is a problem only the Manager can deal with it & she is hardly ever there & when she is doesn't follow up as she says she will. I still need new glasses but will not visit Scrivens again
Hi Anne, thank you for letting us know about this, your feedback helps us get better. We’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you.
Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care is rated 4.55 based on 3,779 reviews