Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care Reviews

of reviewers recommend Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care

About Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care:

Established in 1938, Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care is a family-owned and family-run business and today we have over 175 branches. As we continue to grow, we’ve made sure that our core focus has remained the same… “Providing our customers with excellent service and clinical excellence.” Our branch teams are trained to become customer champions, and we’re always working to improve the experience we offer.

Tell us how Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care made you happy
if i could give no stars i would, this company only wants your money, i had an eyesight test and was provided with glasses two weeks later i had to return ( the glasses seemed blurred) after another eyesight test a new prescription was issued which cost even more money, again after a week these seemed blurred as well. could not be bothered to return but went to the eye hospital instead and was informed that i needed cataract operations and was told that my optician would have clearly seen this, but instead went for the money option (not cheap).
Hi Phill, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
Appointment cancelled less than 24 hrs before...staff seemed to think it was OK, talking as if she had just given me good news. Needed that appt urgently so NO it wasn't ok!
Hi Sonia, thank you for letting us know about this, your feedback helps us get better.
After both my wife and I had received an over- strong prescription for a total of 3 glasses from a previous visit I decided to give Scrivens another chance -my wife went elsewhere. In a recent re-examination a new prescription was found to be necessary and a pair of new glasses chosen and paid for with 10 days given for the delivery period. I rang today for an update since it is nearly 3 weeks since my check-up and was told that no order had been placed and could I call in to chose my frames! Having a debit card receipt I queued at my bank for 30 minutes to get their written confirmation of payment which went through 18 days ago. I have now returned to Scrivens with these written details and have subsequently been told that my money is being refunded but these two experiences would fall well short of "providing our customers with excellent service and clinical excellence". I won't be returning although the staff did try their best to resolve the situation.
Hi, thank you for your review. We’re sorry to read you had such a frustrating experience, but we really appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention.
My elderly mother, who currently has a broken bone in her back, made her way to her post cataract operation examination to be told that the optician doing the exam wasn’t qualified to do this. This was because your Rotherham branch had rearranged the appointment but had not taken into account the nature of the appointment. She is massively distressed by the whole experience and now has to make another journey next week.
Hi David, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
Used Skrivens Opticians at 212 Hoe St, London E17 3AY to get Coopervision's Biofinity Toric Multifocal contact lenses because Specsavers and Vision Express, where I usually go, don't offer them just yet. They ordered trial lenses based on my most recent prescription from Vision Express. After the first fitting session, I was charged £25. When I mentioned that I was claiming JSA and shouldn't be charged a fitting fee, I was told that it would be deducted from my first order of lenses. I had two more fitting sessions after that because the "add number" needed to be increased. When I popped in again - a couple of days after my last fitting session - to order my lenses, I was told it would be £255(!) for three months, even though I was quoted £170 by two different members of staff before. The reason for that was apparently the FITTING FEE OF £85 CHARGED BY THE MANUFACTURER (?) and I would have to pay it every time I order my lenses. I complained to Coopervision, the manufacturer of lenses, explaining that £255 every three months is £1020 per year, and for that, I can have a laser eye surgery for one eye, so I would be better off sticking to the glasses for next two years, and then have the surgery. I presume that Coopervision has contacted The Scrivens because today I had a call from their Head Office. The £85 fitting fee is apparently a one-off fee charged by Scrivens rather than the manufacturer but I have to pay it even though I'm on benefits because that's their policy and that's what they charge their clients. Well, for me, this is a pure corporate greed no matter how much they try to advertise themselves as "family business". Anyway, popped in to a tiny private Opticians down the road from where I live and they can order these lenses for me for £161. Instructed my bank to reverse the payment of £25. Bye Scrivens!!!
Hi Rad, thank you for letting us know about this, your feedback helps us get better. We’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you.
I have been a client of Scrivens Opticians in Wimborne for some years, as a result of examination by your optometrist both eyes have now been operated on and cataracts removed ,my right was operated on 22 July2020 with no problems,the second operation for cataract removal on my left eye was on the 1st March 2021,during the period July2020 and February 8th 2021 no operations were scheduled because of Covid.At this time the sight in my left eye was deterioting,I made an appointment with Scrivens to seek advice. I was informed that an option was to have a pair of interim glasses which I collected on the 11 February 2021 and having having paid £339 for my new glasses that are are not fit for purpose.So me 18 days later I received a call from Bournemouth eye hospital asking me to attend for a cataract removal which was duly carried out.it was at the time of collecting my glasses on March 1st 2021informed that as the problem with my right eye had been rectified,and and that my left eye when the cataract was removed,it would just be a case of changing the left lense for a lense post op corrected,and all we would pay for was the changing of the lense if deemed necessary.Today I was informed I would have to pay for both new lenses at a cost of£201.75 for lenses and reglaze,so a total all together including original charge of £339 So total £540 .75 for one pair of glasses,value fo money I don’t think so
Hi, thank you for letting us know about this, your feedback helps us get better. We’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you.
Trying to book appointment for 4 days trying on line apparently I don't know my own date of birth!!!!!!
Hi John, thank you for letting us know about this, we’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you. You can book an appointment either online, or by contacting Customer Services on 0800 626 427.
I be with scrivens over 15 year and now it will be my last. As it nearly be over 2 week and I not got my glasses not happy at all
Hi, thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance and we’ll do better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com with more information, we would love to make things right if you give us another chance.
Got my prescription completely wrong still waiting for my glasses
Hi, thank you for letting us know about this. Your feedback helps us get better. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com, we will look into this issue and hope to resolve it promptly and to your satisfaction.
What went wrong! Mistake after mistake, error after error. A lesson in how to flannel customers. Lack of customer care and a blatant policy of preferring not to book you with an audiologist if at all possible; clearly a money-saving exercise, and a problem I never encountered before they got involved with the NHS. 90% customer satisfaction? Where do they get these figures? Now a month and my problem still hasn't been resolved, which means it is impossible for me to lead a normal life inasmuch that I cannot enjoy the quality of hearing that I could easily expect if they took my problem seriously and rectified it, which should take five minutes. Not only that, they couldn't even put the correct address on the envelope, which took a week to reach me. Having said that, when you eventually manage to see an audiologist, they are extremely good and very professional.
Hi Ian, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
It wont let me make appointment... Keep saying my date birth invalid
Hi, thank you for letting us know about this, we’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you. You can book an appointment either online, or by contacting Customer Services on 0800 626 427.
My local opticians relocated and decided to use Scrivens. Phoned up to make an appointment, gave my details, and one was made for me to attend two days later. Turned up on time, having taken half-day leave from work, only to be told I didn't have an appointment. Yet all my details were there on the system. No explanation and an apology that was, at best, half hearted. I was given a card to phone back to make another appointment. Sadly, this customer service failure has marred my perception of Scrivens and will not be returning.
Hi Chris, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
It was good to hear from you about my eye test and new glasses, only problem with that is I havent actually had an eye test for nearly 2yrs.
My husband,Ray Mather I both attended your clinic and we were very satisfied by the care and attention we got from your staff, very efficient and very pleasant
Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us such a nice review!
I went into your Witney branch on Thursday 8th April and the lady who was working was absolutely useless. It’s like she didn’t know what she was talking about and making things so much complicated then what they were. I asked her the prices of Nikon Varifocals and it was like it was so much hard work, I have been your customer for a quite a few years and felt like my needs wasn’t met.
As requested, I have tried to contact you on 0800 626 427 (several times over five days), no one answers. And, despite leaving my number, no one calls back. Very bad service.
Hi Roger, thank you for letting us know about this, your feedback helps us get better. We’ll pass your comments on to the appropriate department for you.
I had been with Westgate opticians Peterborough for 40yrs and no complaints,today I went into scrivens who I believe took over, as I had broken the arm of my specs,to be told as I knew anyway, that it could not be fixed,I asked if the lens could be put into a new frame,No they dont do a frame to fit that lens she said,my complaint is the way she reacted,she then went on to say I had bought them at westgate not there,in the end i have had to purchase a new pair of glasses and was told it would be 2weeks as its busy around easter,I have never had any problem with any staff in westgate or scrivens, today as changed my view,she was not at all helpful,I felt like I should walk out but I do need my glasses.
Spent £300 on a new pair of varifocals that I can't get to focus for me. They tried again but just as bad 2nd time. Not happy....the staff are friendly but the product isn't good at all.
New varifocals...barely useable, £300 wasted. Lovely staff in the shop, but the product is no good to me. Waste of money.
Had my hearing aids just under 4 yrs and both broke, when I asked about repair, because hadn’t taken out cover and were out of warranty they scammed me for £25 to send then away for repair, and then asked for a further£175 to repair it. When I bought them they cost £495, which means I could buy a new one for £45 more.
Hi, thank you for posting your review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could email customercare@scrivens.com we will look into this for you.
Scrivens Opticians & Hearing Care is rated 4.55 based on 3,588 reviews