Performance Direct Reviews

40% of reviewers recommend Performance Direct
Matt Brumpton
Verified Reviewer
"I am another customer who was treated to a revised quote following a telephone call. Similar to others on this site a £350 additional premium and then despite the insurance not being active they charged £55 for returning my money. Its a nice earner they have my money for 5 days and charge me for the privilege without providing any service. I read the negative reviews before going ahead with the purchase but unfortunately ignored them - to others reading this please do not make the same mistake. This company is associated to another provider with similar reviews on GoCompare so beware and avoid"
"I'm another customer who has been caught with a £55 cancellation charge within minutes of buying a car insurance policy. During the telephone confirmation they found a need to correct the given info which they said would need a requote. After several minutes they came back with a 'best-they-could-find' quote of ANOTHER £250! That's on top of the £200 I had already paid them. I decided to cut my losses and say no thanks. I went back on to Money Supermarket and got a very competitive price using the corrected info."
"FRAUDS I made a payment online to confirm car insurance with performancedirect.co.uk. on GoCompare - in order to confirm it they sent me an email with a number to ring. when I eventually managed to get through to them they told me one of the items I had noted on the form was incorrect (for a parked garage) they said this meant I would need a different insurance policy and I asked them to get me another quote they said the only quote they could get was £2000!!! the initial quote was £316. They then told me they would charge my card £50 for making the mistake on the form (stating my car was in a garage - which it is and other insurers accept) because I did not want to go with the £2000 insurance. This is clearly a rip off service never in my life have I had this experience with an insurance company. This is fraud!!! BE CAREFUL Edit"
"Offered a good price but be warned, the administration fees are a little high compared to other insurers I have used. I also sold my motorbike part way through the policy and the cost to cancel was nothing short of extortion. Not only was there a high exit fee, but they would also claim 25% of any refund due to you, as well. In the end I got a new bike and just had to pay a crazy admin fee to swap bikes. I was also harassed at the start of the policy, I bought online, provided NCB proof via email yet would receive around 5 missed calls per day for at least two weeks - I couldn't answer due to my working commitments, then I got a voicemail saying they had cancelled my policy. Eventually had to make time to call, then they reinstated my policy after me basically giving them everything I already had online. Felt like they were looking for an opportunity to make the policy more expensive somehow. Good annual price but poor elsewhere."
(Motorbike Insurance) - Posted 6 months ago
"Wished I had read some of the reviews before I used them, as when I wanted to change my insurance to another vehicle they quoted me an additional £158 for the remaining term which is about 8 months or £50 to cancel. I told them it was daylight robbery and canceled, I went on line and got 12 months insurance for £182. Do not use this insurance company."
"Very argumentative and unhelpful staff. Very rude and made a lot of charges that I eventually argued down to a smaller figure. Not at all happy with their service. Avoid at all costs."
"I didn't have a problem, just answer all questions correctly. I have received documents via e-mail by return on confirming by telephone exactly as required. Very helpful young lady on phone a credit to them. I can understand some customers being upset if the quote changes upon speaking with them, but did they tell the information correctly. Most insurers would give a get out without a penalty charge of some £50, however I was happy plus the company I'm insured with is a division of L & V who I have had other cars with in the past."
"Gave me a great price on my Porsche 911 and seemto be all ok but asyet have not needed them for anything only a quote for my everyday car and that wasnt at all competetive"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 8 months ago
"Never been with these before and found them to be ok."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 8 months ago
"Absolutely disgraceful company, they are cheap but like anything it's when there are issues that you find out what a monumental mistake you made having insurance with Performance Direct. My advice is AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE."
"Most un-professional insurance company. It is quite clear that the staff are on very low commissions otherwise they would take the job more seriously. Staff tell blatant lies. Beware as you may end up having your insurance policy cancelled due to their incompetence."
"Having sent all the information requested, they failed to read it properly. Insurance cancelled."
"AVOID AT ALL COST Performance Direct increased the initial quote by more than £200. Once purchased we moved to a different postcode and PD wanted additional £200. we cancelled the policy expecting a refund of at least £170 (which included deduction of admin fees and 20% off premium , which is a rip off in itself) but were told by Emma (extremely rude individual) that as it is a classic car, the underwriter is keeping the full premium. This is not stated anywhere in Performance Direct T&Cs which were issued to us. Performance Direct agreed to refund £13 which is a joke. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID. Bunch of cowboys and scavengers."
"Straight forward but some what difficult process to follow as my car was a classic car i think that is to be expected , but very helpful and explained everything"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
"I did an online quotation, for my 20 year old car. Nowhere in the quotation process was I told that I had bought a Classic Car policy. Classic Car cover is not suitable for me or my vehicle. No problem, I thought, the risk has not even begun yet. However, after talking to them, I am being forced to either pay £60 for a non-Classic Car policy, or a £55 cancellation fee! Rip off!"
"I found performance direct complicated and difficult to deal with. Changes are hard to make and will incur huge fees the customer service was long winded and not friendly or helpful. I will not be using these again, Hastings direct who I was previously with for several years I found to be excellent in all the areas performance direct are terrible I would recommend them instead."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
"did not stick to original quote. refused to acknowledge my level of no claims and consequently increased my premium. the service and price i ended up with was not what was originally offered."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
"They have recently cancelled two policies now I'm stuck with two debts by default which I don't need. After selling one car they wouldn't cancel my policy and so I was left with the remainder of the balance to pay off, really helpful!! This has happened in succession and being out of work currently this has put me in an awkward position, in future I'll go elsewhere for my classic car insurance, I'd rather pay more than be stuck with a policy I no longer need, they really adhere to the customers needs, NOT. I've used them on and off for years no loyalty for returning customers what so ever really angry right now, that's an understatement. The customer relations officer was useless and she achieved nothing I will escalate this matter further, I remain unsatisfied. I've just found they have blocked me on Twitter how childish the truth hurts does it? I noticed on here I'm not the only one who has been left liable for the remainder of the policy how disgusting!!! I'm going to highlight this further it's wrong to rip so many people off. Im not the only person this has happened to, look at the review sites and google the company this is widespread and you could be next..."
"I would like to make an official complaint. I am incredibly disappointed with your customer service. As your client I trusted you and your offer but I lost all my discounts for a year, as a result of the bankruptcy of the insurance company. This is my first insurance for this car and now I have to pay a higher insurance for a next year. Another outrageous thing it's your offer of the new insurance for me. My previous insurance was £600, however you offer me £1700 or above that. I wish to emphasize that insurance on moneysupermarket.com oscillate around £600."
"the policy taken out with performance direct was made very easy by the staff they were a pleasure to deal with nothing was to much bother for the staff to deal with i wish i had heard of performance direct years ago"
(Van Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago