i-to-i TEFL Reviews

92% of reviewers recommend i-to-i TEFL

Tell us how i-to-i TEFL made you happy

customer service
"I paid over 300 pounds for the original course and an extra 100 pounds on a wasted extension for very poorly made course. Some of the questions in the quiz did not relate to anything in the training at all and using google and credible courses to find the answer would be deemed wrong by the quiz itself which is ludicrous. Only reason they have a time limit on the course is so you spend more money on an extension. Site is absolutely a scam stay well clear, much better reputable courses out there"
Hi Josh, I'm really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the course. I can see from correspondence that you were struggling with it and I know we offered assistance if you need it.
We welcome any feedback that you have about the course and sections you feel require improvement so please email us on customersupport@i-to-i.com and we'll certainly review anything that you think doesn't make sense. We generally receive very positive feedback about our course so it's really disappointing to read your comments.
I can see that you have been working through the course since July 2016 and haven't finished it yet so I've given you a complimentary extension in the hope that you can complete it in full. The time limit on the course is designed to help students work through all the content and remember details when they get to the assessment section at the end.
"To Whom It May Concern, I am writing to you in relation to my trip booked via i-to-i.com Love TEFL – The Cambodia Adventure I started this course with the intent, which i was informed at the time of booking would be met, that the required 100 hour TEFL course would provide me the tools to teach and the 5 days spent in a school environment teaching children in Cambodia would give me real exposure, a chance to put the learned skills to work and it would be structured to allow me to assess if I wanted to become a TEFL teacher before seeking a 6 month job These were the key reason i chose the i-to-i.com Love TEFL – The Cambodia Adventure. I also picked your company since booking a trip with an organisation whose purpose is TEFL courses would ensure a professional placement and a really great experience of teaching English all of which was discussed pre booking and I was assured would be the case. So I set out with high hopes soon to be dashed This tour has been the worst I have done in over 18 years of solo and tour travel. I will first mention the teaching and then the tour disappointment and why I CAN NEVER recommend your company 1 Other people on the tour not booked through i-to-i.com did not have to undergo the TEFL Teaching Course and or show any police clearance. This was a early indicator the teaching was not going to be that valuable and the TEFL qualification money and money and time spent getting the police clearance was a waste. 2. We were given no information either in advance so we could plan or at the school itself before teaching about the students, their skill level, syllabus, what they were learning or other critical elements - all of which is critical per your own training to ensure a effective lesson 3 There were no resources available to assist in teaching - no flash card, course bookS, reading books, color charts or anything even mentioned in your own training. 4 there was no teacher in the classroom at any point to learn from Instead we were given a marker and told to teach 'what ever we wished' but teach the same thing each day. This was terrible some students were more advanced that what we were teaching, some less, we had no material to use and just a whiteboard - how I was supposed to learn from this and assess if I wanted to teach is beyond me 5 this was not a school but a afterschool English program of 2 rooms so it did not reflect what we were told would be a school in any sense. 6 we were expecting a 5 day placement. But the Friday happened to be on the Chinese New Year and thus, the school was closed so we only got a 4 day placement cutting even further into the experience. In summary I was lied to by your company regarding what the placement would be like. I was sold the expectation I would be surrounded by experienced teachers in a public school with tools and a inplace syllabus and structured curriculum and would gain further teaching insight and a chance to use the knowledge from the TEFL course in a productive way to build my confidence in teaching a class and the tools to use during this teaching to engage the students if I decided to teach. Instead I was chucked into a room full of kids with no information what so ever and told to teach them. And now for my review of the rest of the tour. Having travelled for almost 18 years by myself and on tours the world over this is one of the worst run tours I have ever done. Your company or its subcontractors take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong but blame each other or strangely Cambodia itself.. This has been the most unprofessional all in it for the profit tour I have done. 1 We were supposed to be picked up at the airport. But nowhere could we see any signs stating i-to-i.com or the local partner company STARFISH. Apparently, the guide was at the airport but with the name of a totally different company on his board. 2 clearly no one has done hotel quality checks we stayed in 3 hotels and one homestay. In 2 of the hotels we had to be moved due to a combination of broken AC no water in the shower, mold in the shower and the homestay had no AC so the room was a oven each night in feb - the only other option was sleeping on a concrete pad in a three walled bamboo enclosure on a cot It looks like you book the cheapest rooms possible and have done no diligence on where you are placing people. 3 tour length is to long at the beach agin the guide can give us nothing to do for 6 nights. That shows poor planning on your part of what to give the guide and how you planned this tour. 4 our guide was not able to clearly communicate what was included, excursions for off days and seemed poorly informed about the tour itself. The only good things were the day of sighting seeing in Phnom Penh, the days in Siem Reap and Angkor Wat and the one day snorkelling and island hopping in Sihanoukville were all good. However, i didn’t book this trip for these experiences - I can do those by myself for cheaper. i booked it for the teaching experience and that gets a F failing grade in teaching The 4 days of teaching felt like a waste of time. I don’t feel as if the students got anything out of it and more importantly to me I definitely did not get anything out of it regarding should I teach- right now based on those 4 days it's a solid no. In summary I feel lied to about the teaching component, ripped off about the rest and in no way will be recommending your company to anyone."
Thank you for your feedback; we are very sorry that you have been unhappy with your experience in Cambodia with us. As you have contacted us formally we will come back to you privately regarding your full comments. This trip should be a great experience and we're sorry to hear you have not found that to be the case.
"My friend and I are on our i-to-i.com Cambodia Adventure trip which is a 21 day trip in Cambodia. It includes sightseeing in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, a 5 day placement in a school teaching English, the online 100 hour TEFL course and 6 days at the beach. Firstly, we arrived to find there is someone else on the trip who is on this trip but didn't have to do the TEFL 100 hour online course or get a police clearance which we had to do. Secondly, STEP 2 of the unprofessionalism of this organisation was the actual teaching experience in itself. As I had booked this trip through i-to-i.com which specialises in TEFL courses, I expected an amazing, PROFESSIONAL 5 day placement in a public school where I would be surrounded by experienced teachers and be teaching a class with a regular teacher – gaining experience from the teacher and teaching the course syllabus applicable to the students at the stage of the syllabus they were at, at the time we are in that school for our placement. I was sorely disappointed. What we got instead was placement in a 2 room after school programme run by a guy whose English was so bad that he couldn’t even communicate with us. The students in the school went to normal schools during the day and in the afternoons, from 3-6pm came to this after school programme for English lessons. There were absolutely no resources OR ANY other TEACHERS here during the days we were there. We weren’t even provided with a course book. We were just told – teach them whatever you want. Not even told what level the students were, what they knew or didn’t know, what they were learning the week before. No information. Just, assigned classes (by ourselves with no other teacher there) and told to just teach them whatever we wanted. This is not what I had expected. The whole POINT of doing this trip was to have guidance from the teachers already doing this job and gaining confidence in teaching a class. Not just chucked into a room full of kids with no information what so ever and told to teach them. It was seriously, a cowboy set up. Four afternoons we went to this school and basically, ended up teaching the same stuff as we were told not to introduce anything new and just repeat. This itself was fine but since it was a cowboy operation, the students levels were all varied and it was hard to determine who was learning anything new, anything at all or even if they were interested in learning in some cases. And if all this wasn’t bad enough, we were expecting a 5 day placement. But the Friday happened to be on the Chinese New Year and thus, the school was closed so we only got a 4 day placement. So day 5 was just being stuck in this little village, with absolutely nothing to do. Again, that is not a problem. But surely, if this was a PROFESSIONAL organisation, they should have known that it was Chinese New Year’s so most likely schools would be closed and factored that into the itinerary. I got the impression that there had been no due diligence down by i-to-i.com in relation to the entire experience. The only thing this experience gave me was clarity that teaching in SE Asia is a horror. And not something I would do EVER again. The worse thing is that we paid so much money for this experience. Whereas talking to other people in the country, I discovered that I could have actually come to Cambodia as I had planned, gone to a school and they would have happily welcomed us and would have loved for us to spend time in their schools and teach – WITHOUT having to PAY for the experience and/or doing the TEFL course. I met someone who was doing EXACTLY that. I am TOTALLY UNIMPRESSED WITH THIS ENTIRE TRIP FROM THE START TO THE FINISH. The 5 days of teaching felt like a waste of our time. I don’t feel as if the students got anything out of it apart from being interrupted from their usual learning and we definitely did not get anything out of it apart from an aversion to teaching. 6 days at the beach is incredibly long. There is not much to do here and just feels like the company is padding out the tour to fleece clients. This trip is definitely NOT worth the money that we paid for it. So overall, this trip is badly organised, and terrible quality. I will definitely not be recommending the trip or your organisation to ANYONE. I feel I have wasted 2 weeks of my life in the village and in Sihanoukville doing nothing productive."
"I finnished the course. You sent me congratulations and I never heard from you again. never received my certificate and cannot get hold of you again. My name Barend Petrus Le Roux ID 6001285097087. The course was great. I am busy teaching in China already. Now School needs certificate and I cannot get hold of you. I look like a fake teacher to the school. Luckily I am a qualified graduate teacher with many years experience but my goodness why not send my certificate?"
Hi Barend, we're really sorry to hear about your certificate not arriving as planned. I can see that we have been in touch with you by email and a replacement has now been re-ordered. If you need anything else from us please send an email to customersupport@i-to-i.com and we'll get straight back to you.
"It's very boring! Very tricky sales people, interested in sales. They hardly bother to teach something properly, very sad! There needs to be videos and images. Highly Boring Course!"
We're very sorry that you have found the course to be boring; there is a lot of content to get through but we do include plenty of videos and interactivity and feedback tells us that most people find it very enjoyable. I've had a look at your course and can see that you haven't been through every section so perhaps you have missed some of the content?
"I was very interested in the Vietnam paid internship and spent a lot of time on the phone to an adviser at I-to-I who was very helpful patient and kind and rang me up on regular occasions to reassure me and to answer the hundreds of questions that I had about the internship so that I felt confident enough to cough up the £750 fee which pays for accommodation and the orientation over in Vietnam. One of my questions was about my appearance, I told them that I’ve got very neat, clean dreadlocks and facial piercings and an arm tattoo which covers a scar- but along with this I also mentioned that i intended to wear my hair back in a neat bun and that I was happy to take my piercings out and would obviously cover all tattoos. In response to this I got laughed at, and told not to be silly and that this was absolutely fine as long as I took my piercings out and covered my tattoos as intended. One other question was about the accommodation Surprisingly I-to-I were not able to provide me with any example photos of what the accommodation was going to look like and considering you are making a home there for 5 months you'd think they'd have that covered. Anyway my friend and I painstakingly make the decisions to leave our homes, partners, friends and families to make this massive exciting step towards our new careers. I am already qualified with a 140 hour TEFL qualification and have a degree in English literature so am more than qualified enough for this position so was confident that I was going to accepted and that his was the beginning of a new life for me. I was shocked however after paying £750 to I-to-I to have absolutely no further contact from them after all of the reassurance, not a single word to tell me what would happen next or to congratulate me on my decision. I was handed straight to the partners in Vietnam who sent me an application form to fill out - which I did to a very high standard - I was very confident in the fact that I had all of the necessary qualifications and also had lots of other great qualities necessary in a teacher. I included details of my previous work experience working with children with disabilities. I sent all of this information off very promptly because I am a competent and organised person. It came to sending my documents off which I did once again very promptly. We were asked to send a signed contract which made the entire experience sound awful. On reading the contract I was filled with doubt because it sounded so awful and I was left awake all hours of the night worrying that it was going to be so horrible that I didn’t want to go anymore. It stated that we may be expected to work over 6 days, that we were not allowed to plan trips, that we had to pay for a $75 mandatory invasive health check (which was not made clear by I-to-I it is in the terms and conditions but this should be should stated very clearly as an added cost!!! ) Also had to send them a picture which I did of course including the facial piercings I intended to remove on commencing the internship (not 3 months beforehand) and it was a very lovely photo too. I didn’t think this photo was very consequential I thought it was just to match up to the passport- wasn’t aware it was the main method of deciding on the success of an application. Confident that I’ve got all the qualifications, reassured that my appearance isn’t an issue, I go ahead and tell my landlord that I’m going to be leaving in January to which he replies "that’s great I’m selling up then". So a couple of days later I get an email very bluntly explaining that I have been rejected from the internship and that they refuse to give me any reason for this so that I should get in touch with i-to-i to organise a refund or to see if there is any other experience I can take part in. Excuse me? I am more than qualified and more than competent as I have proven and I have been entirely discriminated against because of my appearance? Which I made clear from the very beginning and was willing to comply with the dress code. Had a very lucky escape because speaking to my teacher friends around the world i-to-i are renowned for messing people around and not sending them their certificates or ripping them off in one sense or another. So I go ahead and ring i-to-i about this and there was absolutely no sympathy, no compassion and I was treated and made to feel as if this was my fault in some way. I was not offered a refund I had to ask for it, I was not offered any other experiences I had to ask about them they did not try in any way to accommodate for the situation or to try and make it less stressful. Now I have to move out of my home for absolutely no reason, am absolutely emotionally drained by the whole experience made to feel like less of a person because of my appearance? I’m sorry but what kind of joke is this ? This is the 21st century !? I understand cultures vary and that this was a professional job but when I’ve already made it clear about my appearance and my intentions to conform, i-to-i have a duty to inform me at least why I was rejected – But of course they can’t because they know this decision is not based on any fair grounds. The girl who talked to me basically laughed and said it’s all cultural and had a "what do you want me to do about it" attitude. A little compassion goes a long way when you’re dealing with human beings. I am absolutely gutted to be treated like this but I’m so relieved that I-to-I or sly-to-sly decided to mess me around BEFORE I got over there for 5 months ! Thanks for the emotional roller coaster sly-to-sly it’s been a blast! Luckily I’m a positive person so used this experience to grow, I’ve learnt a lot about myself in the process. I’ve reinforced in myself that I am more than what I look like, that I am a competent, organised, compassionate, enthusiastic, dedicated, qualified, educated, intelligent, kind, funny and above all interesting person with so much to offer to the right people so I think your partners in Vietnam have missed out on a great opportunity to have me teach their children so I'd like to offer my apologies cause its genuinely their loss. In closing - communicate with people after they've paid you £750 - don't lie about appearance not mattering because it clearly does and make this very clear to anybody out there with a personality a bit more interesting than a wet flannel. - don't treat people like it’s their fault they got rejected - have a bit of compassion - be a bit more polite -dont make people who get rejected ask for a refund, you should be the ones to contact them- offerings support – advice and of course that refund!"
Hi Anneli,

I know that we spoke on the phone to go through the issues you had with our service and have hopefully sorted everything out for you now. If not, please do let me know.

Firstly, we’d like to apologise for the poor advice you were given when you signed up to the internship in the first place. We should have explained that the photos you give are used by our partners in Vietnam to introduce you to possible schools so that your application could be accepted. As a teacher in a school, professional appearance is very important and unfortunately the photo you submitted did not give that impression, hence your rejection. We have recently increased the amount of information we provide before booking to hopefully avoid the same thing happening to anyone else.

Secondly, I am sorry that the person you spoke to when phoning us about your application was not helpful or understanding. When you called back and spoke to me I hope I was able to explain things in more detail and fully resolve your issues, including a full refund of your money paid. If that hasn’t been the case then please let me know.

Best wishes,

Jo Bearcroft
Operations Manager
"I really would like to experience it"
"If you like to go it alone fine but remember there is no dedicated tutor support, e.g when you need clarification."
"Purchased the 120 hr TEFL course which included a 5 month 'internship' in Thailand. Can't express how horrendous, badly planned and not followed up this company insists its products and services on being. I returned in March and still haven't heard back from my tens of emails and it is now September. Biggest waste of money, waste of trust and nearly ruined my whole Thailand experience"
"You can read all the emails I have written in, basically I have been told a bunch of lies by Petar the guy who signed me just to get his commission. If the issues around resolved I will be requesting my money back."
"I signed up, and was not able to complete it as soon as I wished. I had no notice that my course was going to expire, and then I tried to log in and my course had expired without my spending another pretty penny to renew my course. I don't think they should be able to discontinue the course on someone due to time as I paid for the course. Not satisfied with any customer service I received about the matter either."
"Good afternoon. My name is Michelle Ryan of Limerick Ireland. I purchased an i-to-i TEFL UK Course recently and unfortunately was unable to make the classroom practical course DUE TO POOR HEALTH! I had purchased YOUR COURSE for 199 EUROS. Now I was asked by you to write this review, and I would like to request that I be PAID BACK the money that I paid you. I suffer with Mental and Physical Illness, and because of this, I did not manage to make the course which I PAID FOR. SO PLEASE, I AM BEGGING YOU, I AM IN DIRE STRAITS HEALTH-WISE AND FINANCE-WISE. IT IS MY RIGHT, MY ENTITLEMENT THAT I BE RETURNED THE MONEY CAN YOU DO THIS FOR ME? I AWAIT YOUR REPLY, MICHELLE RYAN BRU NA NDEISE, LUIMNEACH EIRE"
"I passed the TEFL course, but have been unable to find a positon, as the countries are asking for a degree, which I have not got. This should have been stated before taking the course."
"Taught it was very unfair that a family member became very sick and couldnt do it and i sent a email explaining and i would of realy appreciated a refund very poor"
"Waste of Money - Purchased over 3 years ago and still havent completed it as some of the questions are far too hard for most people - and I'm English!"
"I purchased this course and started 4 weeks later or more - however the day of purchase was considered as a start course date for 90 days limited duration that wasn't even mentioned on the phone before the purchase. It was just highlighted in the receipt instead sent by email. It still doesn't make sense to use date of purchase as a starting day regardless of the course start date. I am now put in a position to buy extension and requested a phone call to discuss options - nobody called!? My concern is around course start date again as I am not able to re-start the course now but don't want to miss the opportunity to complete the course that I have paid back in January 2014! It is regrettable that you stop dealing with students after the product was purchase - strange and not professional!"
"I LIKED THE MATERIAL AND FOUND THE FEEDBACK USEFUL, WAS MADE AWARE THAT HAVE 90DAYS TO COMPLETE COURSE, WAS AWARE THAT AN EXTENSION WAS POSSIBLE, WAS NOT AWARE THAT EXTENSION COST SO MUCH, HAD A FAMILY CIRCUMSTANCE IN FEB THAT MEANT I HAD TO TRAVEL, DECIDED NOT TO EXTEND AND LEAVE THE PROGRAM"
"The only thing that really got to me was that i wasn't given enough time to complete the course. I only completed 80hours. It would be nice if you could finish the course in your own time."
"I was in a foreign land having a really hard time and asked for my time to be extended and I was told after a certain short time I would lose all my money...and did...I would never recommend it to anyone EVER!!! total RIP-OFF 250 pounds down the drain.. There is no lee way for difficult times an absolute shameless business of a company..very poor does not justify how uncaring this company behaves...it is an online course and should be open for extended periods of time if you have paid for the course..when I paid I did not forsee the difficult situation ahead and asked repeatedly for empathy but to no avail DISGRACE!!!"
"Poorly structured course, material is poorly presented. Web learning pages are different from each other without continuity. Not enough time given to learn the course - you can get an extension, but you have to pay another ridiculous amount of money. Video examples are very poor and amateurish to the point of embarrassing. In all honesty I would NOT recommend this course to anyone. I firmly believe this course very amateurish in its construction and its delivery. It's also 'hugely overpriced' for what is being presenting, and for the manner of its delivery. Very poor, NOT recommended!"
i-to-i TEFL is rated 4.59 based on 2,781 reviews