i-to-i TEFL Reviews

1,284 Reviews

tefl@i-to-i.com

Fathima Fasla Ilyas
Unverified Reviewer

For a newcomer to the I-to-I courses it is an encouraging eye-opener to 'teaching the TEFL way' and it presents a recommendable journey with an excellent service and interesting new stimulus. The wide range of options regarding where, how and who to teach is a fantastic bonus and I definitely will engage with more course work as it is a wonderful way to review, refresh and broaden the own knowledge. Thank you for making learning and teaching more accessible!
I'm thanking I-To-I TEFL forever and ever.
Thank You.
Josephine Lehrwyn
Verified Reviewer

The course caters to British English. If you use American English you will lose points on quizzes. Some quizzes do not grade correctly even when giving the correct answer.
Estelle Du Plessis
Verified Reviewer

I registered for the 120 hours online course, with a weekend practical training. The course material is very well presented with so many video clips of teaching - from young children to adults. The various quizzes after certain sections also help to put the theory in perspective and is a very useful tool to gauge one's progress and knowledge.

The weekend practical training in Cape Town the last weekend of January 2017 was brilliantly presented by Annie and Francesca, who really challenged and stretched all of us. The quality of their training was outstanding. They applied all the theory in those 2 days of practical training. It was amazing to see the theory in practice in the way they presented the training. When we had to present a lesson (in groups of 3 or 4) their comments (not criticism!) were so well structured as to point out the weak points but more so pointing to the reasons why we should change and adapt our way of presenting. It was a most helpful weekend and I wished we could spend another week with those 2 ladies, learning from their experience and wisdom. They are indeed professionals and presented the training in that way, although maintaining a very approachable and friendly attitude towards all the students. Their experience in teaching is quite phenomenal and it comes so naturally to them. Indeed the result of years of training and teaching. I would recommend this course (as I have already done) wherever I go. I am looking forward to enrolling for the next course, as I realize I have only just started on the journey of teaching. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Thank you!!
Jutta Marion Greim

Withheld For Professional Reasons
Verified Reviewer

I am a 32 y/o journalist who needed this course for a visa.

As someone with extensive teaching experience I heartily recommend this to anyone wishing to start a career in ESL. The course is clear, provides worked examples and reasoning and provides you with the information to actually understand the reason for questions asked and how to complete them.

Definitely better than a CELTA! See you all in China!
Ralph Tattersall
Verified Reviewer

An impressive course. Very well written, supported by a fast and easy Moodle platform. A decent amount of work, but such that you know the qualification was worthwhile getting. Very good online support too from the consultants, when needed. Generally I am not at all keen on on-line courses but this one was excellent. I did the 120 hour course which had the two-day weekend face-to-face course and that too was very well facilitated and absolutely worthwhile. This is a sound foundation as an introductory course and I highly recommend it.
Ralph, Brisbane
Michael Corcoran
Verified Reviewer

Very useful course. Gained very practical teaching experience.
Melanie Diana Hall
Verified Reviewer

A good introduction to teaching and what is required to become effective at it.
Malte Christensen
Verified Reviewer

The 120 hour course is very easy to follow and frankly quite interesting. After only 4 weeks I felt ready to face the three assessment tests and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I passed in my first attempt.
Michelle
Verified Reviewer

Yippeeee, :))) I'm on my way. Thank you I-to-I.
Kelly Edwards
Verified Reviewer

The 20 hour teaching course was really useful and gives lots of practical exercises and useful tips to use in the classroom. Theresa was a really engaging teacher, with lots of energy and enthusiasm. She kept us all motivated, even though there is a lot to learn in a short period of time.
Michiel P.
Verified Reviewer

I purchased the 120 hour TEFL course and was able to go through all the content in 2 weeks ( this includes days of 10hours+ studying and taking notes).
The content of the course was well written and clearly explained the subject and will definitely come in handy when teaching English.
I saw some previous reviews complaining that the content is boring but I wholeheartedly disagree. You have to know with what you start and commit to it. There were plenty of examples, videos etc. to make the content more enjoyable.

After a lot of note-taking those 2 weeks I took a 2 day break before I started the big assignment. Once completed I received proper feedback on my work, what areas to look out for, some extra tips and hints.

I am now waiting for my certificate to drop in my mailbox but I will start my jobhunt with extra motivation and confidence having completed this course.

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to you in relation to my trip booked via i-to-i.com Love TEFL – The Cambodia Adventure

I started this course with the intent, which i was informed at the time of booking would be met, that the required 100 hour TEFL course would provide me the tools to teach and the 5 days spent in a school environment teaching children in Cambodia would give me real exposure, a chance to put the learned skills to work and it would be structured to allow me to assess if I wanted to become a TEFL teacher before seeking a 6 month job

These were the key reason i chose the i-to-i.com Love TEFL – The Cambodia Adventure. I also picked your company since booking a trip with an organisation whose purpose is TEFL courses would ensure a professional placement and a really great experience of teaching English all of which was discussed pre booking and I was assured would be the case.

So I set out with high hopes soon to be dashed

This tour has been the worst I have done in over 18 years of solo and tour travel. I will first mention the teaching and then the tour disappointment and why I CAN NEVER recommend your company

1 Other people on the tour not booked through i-to-i.com did not have to undergo the TEFL Teaching Course and or show any police clearance. This was a early indicator the teaching was not going to be that valuable and the TEFL qualification money and money and time spent getting the police clearance was a waste.

2. We were given no information either in advance so we could plan or at the school itself before teaching about the students, their skill level, syllabus, what they were learning or other critical elements - all of which is critical per your own training to ensure a effective lesson

3 There were no resources available to assist in teaching - no flash card, course bookS, reading books, color charts or anything even mentioned in your own training.

4 there was no teacher in the classroom at any point to learn from
Instead we were given a marker and told to teach 'what ever we wished' but teach the same thing each day.
This was terrible some students were more advanced that what we were teaching, some less, we had no material to use and just a whiteboard - how I was supposed to learn from this and assess if I wanted to teach is beyond me

5 this was not a school but a afterschool English program of 2 rooms so it did not reflect what we were told would be a school in any sense.

6 we were expecting a 5 day placement. But the Friday happened to be on the Chinese New Year and thus, the school was closed so we only got a 4 day placement cutting even further into the experience.

In summary I was lied to by your company regarding what the placement would be like. I was sold the expectation I would be surrounded by experienced teachers in a public school with tools and a inplace syllabus and structured curriculum and would gain further teaching insight and a chance to use the knowledge from the TEFL course in a productive way to build my confidence in teaching a class and the tools to use during this teaching to engage the students if I decided to teach.

Instead I was chucked into a room full of kids with no information what so ever and told to teach them.

And now for my review of the rest of the tour. Having travelled for almost 18 years by myself and on tours the world over this is one of the worst run tours I have ever done. Your company or its subcontractors take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong but blame each other or strangely Cambodia itself.. This has been the most unprofessional all in it for the profit tour I have done.

1 We were supposed to be picked up at the airport. But nowhere could we see any signs stating i-to-i.com or the local partner company STARFISH. Apparently, the guide was at the airport but with the name of a totally different company on his board.

2 clearly no one has done hotel quality checks we stayed in 3 hotels and one homestay. In 2 of the hotels we had to be moved due to a combination of broken AC no water in the shower, mold in the shower and the homestay had no AC so the room was a oven each night in feb - the only other option was sleeping on a concrete pad in a three walled bamboo enclosure on a cot
It looks like you book the cheapest rooms possible and have done no diligence on where you are placing people.

3 tour length is to long at the beach agin the guide can give us nothing to do for 6 nights. That shows poor planning on your part of what to give the guide and how you planned this tour.

4 our guide was not able to clearly communicate what was included, excursions for off days and seemed poorly informed about the tour itself.

The only good things were the day of sighting seeing in Phnom Penh, the days in Siem Reap and Angkor Wat and the one day snorkelling and island hopping in Sihanoukville were all good. However, i didn’t book this trip for these experiences - I can do those by myself for cheaper. i booked it for the teaching experience and that gets a F failing grade in teaching

The 4 days of teaching felt like a waste of time. I don’t feel as if the students got anything out of it and more importantly to me I definitely did not get anything out of it regarding should I teach- right now based on those 4 days it's a solid no.

In summary I feel lied to about the teaching component, ripped off about the rest and in no way will be recommending your company to anyone.
Thank you for your feedback; we are very sorry that you have been unhappy with your experience in Cambodia with us. As you have contacted us formally we will come back to you privately regarding your full comments. This trip should be a great experience and we're sorry to hear you have not found that to be the case.
Yogi
Verified Reviewer

My friend and I are on our i-to-i.com Cambodia Adventure trip which is a 21 day trip in Cambodia. It includes sightseeing in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, a 5 day placement in a school teaching English, the online 100 hour TEFL course and 6 days at the beach.

Firstly, we arrived to find there is someone else on the trip who is on this trip but didn't have to do the TEFL 100 hour online course or get a police clearance which we had to do.

Secondly, STEP 2 of the unprofessionalism of this organisation was the actual teaching experience in itself. As I had booked this trip through i-to-i.com which specialises in TEFL courses, I expected an amazing, PROFESSIONAL 5 day placement in a public school where I would be surrounded by experienced teachers and be teaching a class with a regular teacher – gaining experience from the teacher and teaching the course syllabus applicable to the students at the stage of the syllabus they were at, at the time we are in that school for our placement.

I was sorely disappointed. What we got instead was placement in a 2 room after school programme run by a guy whose English was so bad that he couldn’t even communicate with us. The students in the school went to normal schools during the day and in the afternoons, from 3-6pm came to this after school programme for English lessons. There were absolutely no resources OR ANY other TEACHERS here during the days we were there. We weren’t even provided with a course book. We were just told – teach them whatever you want. Not even told what level the students were, what they knew or didn’t know, what they were learning the week before. No information. Just, assigned classes (by ourselves with no other teacher there) and told to just teach them whatever we wanted.

This is not what I had expected. The whole POINT of doing this trip was to have guidance from the teachers already doing this job and gaining confidence in teaching a class.

Not just chucked into a room full of kids with no information what so ever and told to teach them.

It was seriously, a cowboy set up. Four afternoons we went to this school and basically, ended up teaching the same stuff as we were told not to introduce anything new and just repeat. This itself was fine but since it was a cowboy operation, the students levels were all varied and it was hard to determine who was learning anything new, anything at all or even if they were interested in learning in some cases.

And if all this wasn’t bad enough, we were expecting a 5 day placement. But the Friday happened to be on the Chinese New Year and thus, the school was closed so we only got a 4 day placement. So day 5 was just being stuck in this little village, with absolutely nothing to do. Again, that is not a problem. But surely, if this was a PROFESSIONAL organisation, they should have known that it was Chinese New Year’s so most likely schools would be closed and factored that into the itinerary.

I got the impression that there had been no due diligence down by i-to-i.com in relation to the entire experience. The only thing this experience gave me was clarity that teaching in SE Asia is a horror. And not something I would do EVER again.

The worse thing is that we paid so much money for this experience. Whereas talking to other people in the country, I discovered that I could have actually come to Cambodia as I had planned, gone to a school and they would have happily welcomed us and would have loved for us to spend time in their schools and teach – WITHOUT having to PAY for the experience and/or doing the TEFL course. I met someone who was doing EXACTLY that.

I am TOTALLY UNIMPRESSED WITH THIS ENTIRE TRIP FROM THE START TO THE FINISH.

The 5 days of teaching felt like a waste of our time. I don’t feel as if the students got anything out of it apart from being interrupted from their usual learning and we definitely did not get anything out of it apart from an aversion to teaching.

6 days at the beach is incredibly long. There is not much to do here and just feels like the company is padding out the tour to fleece clients. This trip is definitely NOT worth the money that we paid for it.

So overall, this trip is badly organised, and terrible quality. I will definitely not be recommending the trip or your organisation to ANYONE. I feel I have wasted 2 weeks of my life in the village and in Sihanoukville doing nothing productive.

Michelle Felton
Verified Reviewer

Being taught by the best I-to-I trainers and setting a firm platform to start a new experience in the teaching profession.
Anshu
Verified Buyer

I liked the content of the course and the way it has been explained in simple terms making it understandable quickly.
Barend Petrus Le Roux ID 6001285097087
Verified Reviewer

I finnished the course. You sent me congratulations and I never heard from you again. never received my certificate and cannot get hold of you again.
My name Barend Petrus Le Roux ID 6001285097087.
The course was great. I am busy teaching in China already. Now School needs certificate and I cannot get hold of you. I look like a fake teacher to the school. Luckily I am a qualified graduate teacher with many years experience but my goodness why not send my certificate?
Hi Barend, we're really sorry to hear about your certificate not arriving as planned. I can see that we have been in touch with you by email and a replacement has now been re-ordered. If you need anything else from us please send an email to customersupport@i-to-i.com and we'll get straight back to you.
Judith Payne
Verified Buyer

I really enjoyed the course and it was great to get to know and work alongside other TEFL students. Our teacher was very well prepared and demonstrated excellent teaching through us doing which was very inspiring.
Nicholas Smith
Verified Reviewer

This course is a perfect alternative to the CELTA, you get out of it what you put in. i worked on this for 6 days solid and have now passed. I was skeptical at first as I am a kinaesthetic learner (hands on) and doing a 120 hour online course was a new concept of learning. Now looking back, the course is structured in a way that you can't go wrong. It is supported throughout and the online tutors are there to help if needed. If i was to sum up the course in three words it would be, Amazing, Amazing, Amazing !!!
Heath McIntyre
Verified Reviewer

The 120 hour online i-to-i TEFL course is brilliant! Everything is well-structured and easy to follow, there is a ton of useful information and further reading, and I was able to submit my own lesson plan that was marked within a day! I received extremely helpful and personalised feedback, and I have completed this course feeling a lot more confident about my skills as an English teacher. I would recommend this course to anyone wishing to teach English overseas!
i-to-i TEFL is rated 4.40 based on 1,284 reviews