Friars.co.uk Reviews

95% of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk

About Friars.co.uk: Friars is a family business specialising in luxury chocolate and unique gifts. Since 1927 the business has evolved from a gift shop/cafe to a specialist chocolate and gift store.

Our online business was launched in 2010 and more recently we have opened a second ‘Ye Olde Friars’ high street store in Ambleside to support our flagship store in Keswick.

Our gifts are designed in house so you will not find them anywhere else. We want to make it easy for you to be original, so you can give gifts that taste and look amazing and will be remembered.

We love new products (perhaps because we get bored easily!), so every Valentines, Easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas we launch a new range. It certainly keeps us entertained and hopefully our customers interested.

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy

customer service
"The gift box arrived a bit worn at the corners and the bow had loose ends which gave the present a cheap appearance. Also the chocolates arrived in plastic trays and not in their own box. Overall acceptable but not a good first impression!"
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry the item did not arrive in perfect condition. The ribbon should have been pick up at our end before being dispatched we will pass your comments on to the packing team. We will also pass your comments regarding the plastic to our design team.
Friars Customer Service
"I recently ordered 3 lots of chocolates and I thought they were terrible. I tried 1 of each and disliked them intensly. What a waste of money?"
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the chocolates you received from us and they were not to your taste. We hope that our customers find our products enjoyable, although unfortunately they may not be to everyone's personal taste.
Friars Customer Service
"Having bought the luxury coffee egg for my wife she was disappointed to find the egg didn't taste of coffee at all but milk chocolate. The only coffee chocolates were 6 little chocolates. A slight false advertising there to be fair. Will not be buying again!!!!!"
"The package looks nice but it's smaller then I expected. Arrived in time for Easter Unable to comment on the contents, as it hasn't been opened yet. It's an Easter gift for my daughter. But I'm sure she will love it if she can taste the gin."
"The vegan chocolates are nice but the filling tastes more like an icing than a chocolate truffle filling. It also has a funny taste to it. I wouldn’t buy them again for the price."
"My order was initially sent to the wrong address, to the Billing Address. However, they soon rectified the situation when notified and sent out a further box of chocolates to the correct address."
"Can't really comment as this was given as a present - and she's probably saving it for Easter."
"Good quality but very over priced. Fruits small but do taste nice. Having said that, had much nicer and bigger for less from well known suppliers. Had hoped these would be a bit more special for Mothers Day gift"
"Great chocolates, overpriced though"
Hello,
We're sorry that you found our products to be overpriced. We aim to keep our costs at a reasonable level and remain competitive with other retailers in the market. We will, however, pass on your feedback to the team for future reference and we hope that you enjoy the products you ordered from us.
Friars Customer Service
"I really wanted a dark chocolate coffee collection as the one that I have received was overly sweet and and size of the chocolate are way too big for one portion. The white chocolate in addition with the sickly sweet, thick coffee fillings brings it over the top and burns my throat. The only chocolate I enjoyed was the dark chocolate with coffee mousse inside as it's the perfect balance of sweet and bitter. I would definitely bag of only that chocolate."
Hello,
I'm sorry that the chocolates in our coffee collection weren't to your taste. This is one of our most popular chocolate boxes and the majority of our customers enjoy the variety of chocolates included in this selection. Your feedback will, however, be passed on to the design team.
Friars Customer Service
"Product was well presented, a little on the pricey side"
"The chocolates are great, but for the price you pay the packaging is very lacklustre. It looks cheap, particularly the shallow white boxes that are used for the selections of 24 chocolates. The size of every box I have ordered thus far is significantly smaller than expected, and as most (if not all) product pages seem to neglect including measurements - this makes shopping with Friars a bit of a gamble. I also found that the Noel chocolate box I ordered was described as having a Christmas ornament on the front that could be removed, yet it was very difficult to separate from the packaging, and once free, was covered in large, thick splodges of glue that ruined any appeal it might have as an ornament. It also failed to include any means of identifying the flavours of the chocolates, so that too was a gamble, which was disappointing as a different box of 24 chocolates provided pictures and descriptions of them all. All in all, I feel I’d prefer to shop at more well-known brands so that I can guarantee consistent quality and feel as though I know exactly what will arrive at my door. Thank you for your time! :)"
Hello,

Thank you for your review and feedback regarding the packaging of our chocolates. We do provide the dimensions of certain products but clearly this would be useful across all lines and we will look into implementing this. With regard to the Noel chocolate box, this should have had a menu included in the box and I apologise that this was not the case. We will also take into consideration the way in which we attach the decoration when designing next years boxes. Thanks again.

Friars Customer Service
"I ordered the assorted brazil nuts in a jar. There were supposed to be milk, dark, and white chocolate coated nuts in the jar. Unfortunately most of them were white chocolate coated, there were some dark and only a few milk chocolate coated nuts, totally opposite of the picture on the website. There was an option to add a gift card with a message on it. It's a joke. There was no option to enter your message in more lines so I thought it was going to be edited before printing. But it was just printed in one line, addressing, message and closing. Don't waste your money on it, you're better off buying your own gift tag and write your message yourself. As it was a gift I don't know the quality if the product."
Hello Krisztina,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were not happy with the way in which the gift message was printed, unfortunately it is not possible to check and edit the gift messages before printing. We will bring the fact that you can only enter the message in one line to the attention of our web developers.

Friars Customer Service
"The presentation and delivery was fine. What let Friars down was the spelling mistakes on 2 out of 3 personalized gift cards which had spelling mistakes. More care needs to be taken."
Hello,

I am sorry that 2 out of the 3 gift cards had spelling mistakes, unfortunately the messages are printed automatically and so cannot be checked by ourselves before printing.

Friars Customer Service
"I think there expensive 4.50 for 6 chocolates and then pksage on top of thar"
Hello Joseph,
I'm sorry that you find our chocolates to be too expensive. We try to keep our prices competitive but I will pass on your comments to the team.
Friars Customer Service
"Wasnt too impressed with the taste, great presentation, postage and packaging though."
"Can't say what it tastes like as it is a Christmas gift"
"Chocolate arrived and the packaging was not great . Box was all squashed"
Hello,
I'm sorry that the box your order was packaged inside was damaged on arrival. We try our best to ensure our products are packed adequately to ensure the products inside are well protected as we have no control over how our parcels are handled once they leave us for delivery.
Friars Customer Service
"The quality of the chocolate was pretty good, but the addition of the prosecco and champagne flavours kind of ruined it for me! A hazelnut praline would be great, or salted caramel, rum and raisin; I kind of expected to see these in a truffle advent calendar - not a jellied ginger or any fondant chocolates. I think it’d be great if we could choose the contents."
Hello,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the Advent calendar you purchased from us and the chocolates weren't to your liking.
I will pass on your feedback to the design team but unfortunately, it is unlikely that an option to select the the contents would be possible.
Friars Customer Service
"Purchase is for a Xmas present so haven't tried the actual sweets. Delivery was prompt and it was well packed, I was quite disappointed at how small it was and therefore I think it was quite expensive so I would not buy again."
Hello Vanda,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed by the price of the product you ordered from us. We try to ensure that our customers are fully aware of what they are purchasing by listing the weights and/or quantities of the product supplied on our website listings.
Friars.co.uk is rated 4.79 based on 3,107 reviews