Friars.co.uk Reviews

of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk
Read Friars.co.uk Reviews

About Friars.co.uk:

Friars is a family business specialising in luxury chocolate and unique gifts. Since 1927 the business has evolved from a gift shop/cafe to a specialist chocolate and gift store.

Our online business was launched in 2010 and more recently we have opened a second ‘Ye Olde Friars’ high street store in Ambleside to support our flagship store in Keswick.

Our gifts are designed in house so you will not find them anywhere else. We want to make it easy for you to be original, so you can give gifts that taste and look amazing and will be remembered.

We love new products (perhaps because we get bored easily!), so every Valentines, Easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas we launch a new range. It certainly keeps us entertained and hopefully our customers interested.

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy
Very prompt service. Unfortunately, the sell by date 31st March, 2020, had a label stuck over it, 2nd July, 2020, they were a Birthday gift, for 14th July!
Hello Mrs Godsmark, thank you for your review. We are sorry you were disappointed with your purchase. The products were on sale due to the short date which was on our listing on our website. As explained, the supplier had used packaging that they had left over which had the date of the 31 March 2020 stamped on and they put new labels over with 2 July 2020. The individually wrapped chocolates inside the package were all dated 2 July 2020. Again, we do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. Kind regards Friars Customer Services
Ordered a Friars novelty chocolate IPhone and games controller for grandson’s 8th birthday. Very disappointed with size of both and the personalised card. Even the packaging looks cheap - would have been better off spending the money elsewhere. Won’t be ordering again.
Hello Shelley, we’re sorry you were disappointed with your order. We will pass your feedback to the packing team and take your comments on board. If you would like to return your order, please contact the sales team directly via telephone or email. We apologise once again for any disappointment caused. Kind regards Friars Customer Services
Butter Tablet NOT as described. Very hard - nothing like fudge.
Hi Ann, thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were disappointed with the Butter Tablet you received from us. The description does say it is similar to fudge but with a firmer, crumblier texture. We hope that our customers find our products enjoyable, although unfortunately they may not be to everyone's personal taste. Kind Regards Friars Customer Service
Order confirmed 26th May, ‘Dispatched’ 28th May - still not received. Have emailed Friars with no response
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your review. We did respond to your email from the 6th of June on the 8th of June at 9.33am, we would advise that you please check your spam folder if the response is not showing in your inbox.

Unfortunately the postcode on your order was incorrect which is why the order was being moved between different delivery offices, however, we have tracked the order again and can see that it has now been delivered.

Kind Regards,
Friars Customer Service
Very expensive for the small amount unfortunately I didn’t realise just how little as I would never have paid the price
Lesson learnt ,
£15 for 500g or sweet is scandalous
Chocolate half eggs obviously left over from Easter and fruit and nut that was just Brazil nuts.Disappointed receiver of this birthday gift.
Hello,

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the products you received in your lucky dip, however, the listings of these products did state that may get a mix of products or just one type of chocolate. Again we are sorry you were disappointed. Kind Regards, Friars
Fab website, and the boxes look amazing. However the chocolates are very expensive for a product I'd never order again, they were so horrible. I don't understand why they had sweetener in and sugar. An expensive box should just be sugar unless it's for diabetics or has some sort of isomalt sugar work on. All I could taste was the sorbitol. I was so disappointed, it was my big treat. I gave some to my husband but he really didn't like them either. Sorry I really wanted to like them, but each one was worst than the last. Won't order again.
Hi, We are sorry that you were disappointed with the chocolates you received from us. We hope that our customers find our products enjoyable, although unfortunately, they may not be to everyone's personal taste. The sorbitol used in those chocolates is to preserve the chocolates as opposed to sweetening them, however, we will pass your feedback on to Vegan Chocolatier. Kind Regards Friars Customer Service
Items arrives completely smashed to pieces
Just like picture. Very well packaged. Arrived very quick
The star is for service only. I was so disappointed in my very expensive order. With the exception of their fruit box I was very disappointed in their signature and ginger selection chocolates. We found them distinctly average and overly soft. From the reviews I couldn't believe we were eating the same chocolates. Sadly they are nothing special and for that price I would not buy again.
Hi,

We are sorry that you were disappointed with the chocolates you received from us. We hope that our customers find our products enjoyable, although unfortunately they may not be to everyone's personal taste.

Friars Customer Service
Since my last review is nowhere to be seen ill review again.

Placed an order for two baileys and truffles sets - nearly £20 but looked a decent size.

Tried calling up to add something else to my order but they said i wasn't able to until the original order was despatched! For some strange reason!

Got an email saying delivery would be 4th December. I was out in the morning but someone else was home as delivery was meant to be between 9.02am - 12.02pm! Called my mum who was home, at around 12.20 to see if it had been delivered she said nothing came. I checked tracking at it said it was with the royal mail.

I got home at 12.45 and was home until 2.45 (school run) still nothing came. I checked my emails only to find an email at 1.56pm saying that 'someone tried to deliver but noon was home' i never even got a royal mail card through the letter box even though i was home at that time.

Called Royal mail to question it and they said that nobody could get into my area and asked if i had any restrictions - get mailed delivered constantly even parcels by royal mail. I live in a main door at a main road with plenty of parking spaces so no restrictions.

He said delivery would now be 5th december and i told him i was out that day but when i came home i eventually got the royal mail slip so asked for redelivery on 7th december.

6th December i gotten an email from them saying my parcel was to be collected even though i stated for it to be delivered to my home address on 7th.

7th came and i got the delivery but when i opened the box up i received two of the tiniest little things that i was able to hold in one hand AND also have a remote control in the same hand. A rip off. £20 for tiny little things!

Never buying from here again its a rip off of money for the items, then delivery charge for delivery to be messed up!
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, unfortunately when you rang to add to your order it had already been packed and sent for dispatch. We're sorry you were disappointed in the size and price of the product. We do ensure that the items included within this gift sack are listed in the description on our website along with the size of the Baileys bottle and the chocolate lipsticks. We don't however list the dimensions which we will review for next Christmas.
With regards to Royal Mail, we will pass your feedback on to our account manager.
Friars
I feel conned I bought these chocolates for my mother in law for Christmas as they are her favourite I received 6 chocolate caramels costing 3.95 I didn't see the cost of delivery which was another 3.95 so very very annoyed that I paid 8 quid for 6 sweets it will never happen again
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback and sorry you felt disappointed, however, this is one of our taster packs and we do state the number of chocolates within the product description on our website. We also have a set cost for delivery which we try to keep competitive.
Friars
The Vegan chocolate soft centres are really bad. The texture inside is all wrong. It was hard and not smooth at all. Ideally soft centres should not be chewy and they should be smooth. I think you need to revise the fats you use within the soft centres, it needs to be more fluid, and also if you are adding rice flour to replace milk then you need it to be ground extra fine.
Hi,
Thank you for your review, sorry you were disappointed with the chocolates. Due to the process, it is harder to get the centres as smooth as standard chocolate, we understand that every chocolate is down to personal taste and preference, we'll pass your feedback on to the Vegan Chocolatier.
Friars
Ordered 4 packs of golf ball chocolates as gifts, only 1 box is pristine, the other 3 are too bent/bashed to be given as gifts. Also chocolate sprinklings have come out of one box so pretty sure broken inside too, my first order with Friars pretty disappointing.
Hi,
We believe this has now been resolved directly with our customer service team.
Friars
My order was delivered to someone else who contacted me themselves this man will not stop messaging me and the same day I received their order!!! Telephoned Friars they resent my order quickly with a small chocolate animal as an apology !!! absolutely disgusting service I will never purchase from them again and I would not recommend them
Debating between 1 or 2 stars.

Ordered two baileys and truffles sets thinking for the price they woll be decent size - they arrived tiny.

Was due to be delivered on Wednesday 4th December i was tracking it as well and definitely meant to be delivered on 4th - never arrived.

Gotten an email at 1.56pm wednesday stating they tried to deliver but nobody was home for it - i was home and they never left a card.

Called royal mail to complain that i was home yet i got that email - they said they never tried delivering because they could not get to my door - my house is a main door at a main road with plenty of parking and easy access as millions of parcels gets delivered to the same street each day.

Was due to be 'attempted' to be delivered on the 5th december - i was not home but they left a card.

I booked for a redelivery for 7th when I knew I'd be home for it even gotten the confirmation email saying it was getting delivered on 7th to my home address - email from them on 6th saying its ready for collection at nearest post office which is cambuslang when carntyne is closer to me than cambuslang is but that's the way it is - meaning I was to go and collect it.

It eventually got delivered on 7th and was disappointed about paying nearly £20 for two baileys that looked decent size only to be far too tiny that it was smaller than an infants hand - got robbed there.

All in all i will not be using this company again as my first time using it was disappointing.
Hi,
Thank you for the review we are sorry that your order did not arrive on the date as expected. Unfortunately, we have to rely on a third party for our deliveries and although they are usually very reliable there can occasionally be delayed beyond our control.
We do state the size of the Baileys and quantity of the truffles with the description of this item, please contact us directly if you would like to discuss your order in further detail.
Very expensive for 3 Lindet chocolate tiny golf balls Cost over £7
Hi,
Thank you for your review, we are sorry to hear you are disappointed in the size of this product we do state the dimensions of the box and weigh within the description of our website.
Friars
The photo looked like a normal-size bottle (which you can buy for £16 elsewhere), but it turns out to be much smaller, which is deliberately misleading. I didn't see the 20cl written further down the page or I wouldn't have bought it (a 20cl bottle is £9 elsewhere). Product is overpriced in my opinion, although it is a nice box.
Hi,
Thank you for your review, we are sorry to hear you are disappointed with this product, we do state the content and dimensions of the gift on the product description. If you would like you are welcome to return this item to us for a full refund.
Friars Customer Service
Very disappointed size of bottle won't be buying from you again was going to be s gift would of been embarrassed giving it
Hello,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you are disappointed in the size of the gift box however, we do state the volume and dimension of the product on the listing, to give an idea of the size of the product.
Friars Customer Service
Still no response to the email you asked me to send and no replacements as promised! Let down again.
Dear Paul,
We are very sorry to hear that you have not received a reply to your email, you now should have received a response. Your replacement toffee has been dispatched today with Royal Mail 24. Sorry again for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Friars.co.uk is rated 4.80 based on 5,348 reviews