Friars.co.uk Reviews

of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk
customer service
Read Friars.co.uk Reviews

About Friars.co.uk:

Friars is a family business specialising in luxury chocolate and unique gifts. Since 1927 the business has evolved from a gift shop/cafe to a specialist chocolate and gift store.

Our online business was launched in 2010 and more recently we have opened a second ‘Ye Olde Friars’ high street store in Ambleside to support our flagship store in Keswick.

Our gifts are designed in house so you will not find them anywhere else. We want to make it easy for you to be original, so you can give gifts that taste and look amazing and will be remembered.

We love new products (perhaps because we get bored easily!), so every Valentines, Easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas we launch a new range. It certainly keeps us entertained and hopefully our customers interested.

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy
Unfortunately I am unable to review my sweets as the postman who delivered them decided that leaving the package on my doorstep on the wettest day of the year was a sensible idea!! The packaging had completed disintegrated in the rain and the contents were also soaking wet. The New Berry Fruits box was saturated and the bag containing Jelly Belly jellybeans also contained rainwater! The only thing I could do with the whole lot was throw it in the bin. Not really your problem but I just thought I should let you know.
Hello Kim,
I'm sorry that your order didn't arrive with you in tact as we would expect.
Unfortunately, as we rely on a third party to deliver our orders, we can not control what happens with the orders once they have left us. If you have any photographs of the order you received from us, I would be grateful if you could send them to us so that we can follow up on the issue with Royal Mail.
I can send out a replacement or refund your order for you, whichever you wish.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Friars Customer Service
I was very happy with the fast delivery, but these new berry fruits are not the same as the ones I remember from years ago so that was disappointing. You have the same name but not the same sweet. The difference is the liquid centre. Some of the fruits did not have liquid centres at all, some just very small liquid, nothing like how they used to be. These sweets used to be so good, I wish I could find the same thing now,but everything has changed.
Hello Brenda,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the quality of the New Berry Fruits you received from us. I will pass on your comments to our supplier so that they are aware of the issue you have highlighted, but as we do not make the New Berry Fruits ourselves, it is not guaranteed that the quality will improve.
Friars Customer Service
My one disappointment was that I could not place multiple orders to different addresses at one time.
Hello Mandy,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with not being able to order for multiple addresses at one time. Unfortunately, our system does not have this facility but we are currently looking into it to see if there is a way around this issue. I will, however, pass on your comments to our internet team.
Quick delivery
Wouldn't have bought the product of I had known how much the postage was
Hello,
Our delivery prices are clearly stated on every product page and on the 'Delivery & Returns' page. We charge a flat fee of £3.95 per order which is in line with other online retailers.
Friars
Good quality chocolates
Chocolates look scrumptious but the personalised card I have to say was a bit naff regrettably
Hello Kathy,
I'm sorry you were disappointed with the gift card provided with your order. I will pass your comments on to our design team for them to review.
Friars Customer Service
I'm sorry to tell you that that the coffee chocolates hardly have the taste of coffee.
Hi Christina,
We're sorry to hear that, all reviews on this product to date have been exceptional. Please contact us if you require any further assistance.
Kind Regards
Product good but postage high
Hello Lee,
I'm sorry that you found our delivery charge to be high. We set our delivery charges at a competitive rate to other companies and our standard delivery charge of £3.95 is set per order.
Friars Customer Service
Good product but postage high .
They were very good! Something in the order was damaged but Friars quickly replaced it. They were great. Thank you
The chocolates are delightful and good value. My only complaint was that I bought two boxes of different chocolates and the smaller box of orange creams was protected only by a soft see through lid and the chocolates were squashed on the top which didn't make them look very nice.
Hello Terri,
I'm sorry that the orange creams you ordered from us were damaged on arrival. We pride ourselves on packaging our orders to ensure all items arrive in perfect condition and this hasn't been achieved on this occassion. I will pass on your feedback to our packing team and make them aware of the issue you have highlighted to us. Please contact us directly and we will arrange for a replacement box to be sent out to you.
Friars Customer Service
Classic Treacle Toffee arrived as promised. I was surprised at the small size of box as looked bigger on the website. Toffee has good colour, though not as dark as the toffee I make at home. Taste was about 8/10 as took a while for taste to come through which is surprising as dark treacle is a strong flavour. Texture 8/10 seemed smooth and didn't have a powdery feeling in mouth. Smell 6/10 as didn't have a strong smell of treacle when at room temperature. Overall, I would put this at 7/10 as I am comparing this with the one I make at home, which the children seemed to go for at the community fire work display. Thank you for the treacle, we enjoyed it.
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed review. Your comments will be helpful to our other customers.
Friars Customer Service
I purchased your salted caramel chocolates for a friend and therefore I don't know their quality.
we received a big box of chocolate items that we ordered for xmas they were delivered very quickly .we ordered quite a bit as there was a few free items being given away however these didn't arrive.on enquiring we were told we hadn't put the code on our order.we were certain we had but couldn't prove it.So we were left without.
I purchased Friars chocolates as a gift for my daughter and her family but they were disappointed by the sweetness of the chocolates which they felt spoilt the enjoyment of the chocolates.
Hello Alexis,
I'm sorry that your daughter and her family were disappointed with the sweetness of our chocolates. White chocolates are generally sweeter as they don't have the same level of cocoa solids as the milk and dark varieties to balance out the sugar in the same way.
Of course, personal taste is also a factor; but we will pass your comments onto the manufacturers.

Friars Customer Service
The violet creams are delicious. The only problem was that they did not arrive by next day delivery, in fact they took several days. At least the cokmpany refunded my postage, so that was good. Product fine though.
Hello,

I am sorry the violet creams did not arrive the next day as expected, unfortunately we have to rely on a third party for our deliveries and although they are usually reliable we do occasionally have the odd delay beyond our control. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the violet creams.

Friars Customer Service.
Delivery was prompt and packaging no beautiful. The Friars chicks were good, unfortunately the bag of jelly beans may have been exposed to a little moisture as some were stuck together, which was a shame.
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for your review. I would just like to assure you that we store the jelly beans in a dry environment, just as we do all our products. We have found that certain flavours do sometimes end up sticking together, such as blueberry and red apple and unfortunately Jelly belly have recently changed the colourings that they use in the jelly beans (hence the dramatic change in colour of some flavours) and this has caused this to happen a little more frequently.

Friars Customer Service.
I think VAT is wrong as it includes Postage price as well as goods price
Hi Sofia,
Thank you for your review. There is VAT added to our postage costs, so this is reflected in the VAT amount on the invoice received with your parcel. Therefore, the total VAT amount is inclusive of both goods and postage prices.
Friars Customer Service
Sadly my order was incorrect - I ordered violet creams and violet and rose creams were sent. I had paid the extra postage as I needed the item by a certain date - and Friars offered an excellent selection and they looked good. When my incorrect order arrived via Royal Mail in the afternoon I immediately telephoned and, to their credit, the correct item was sent together with a paid return label for the incorrect item. It did mean a trip to the Post Office to send off the incorrect parcel - but the new delivery arrived in time for the occasion. The recipient was thrilled with the chocolates and remarked how difficult they are to find. So all was well.
Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for your review and again I am sorry that the incorrect item was sent to you. We are in the process of implementing a scan and pack system to try and avoid these incidents happening in the future. I am happy to hear that we managed to rectify the issue in time for the occasion and that the recipient was pleased with the chocolates.

Jackie