Friars.co.uk Reviews

of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk
Read Friars.co.uk Reviews

About Friars.co.uk:

It all started back in 1927 when William Long had the fabulous idea of opening a luxury chocolate shop in the picturesque town of Keswick, in the heart of the Lake District. He probably never dreamed it would still be in the same family nearly 100 years later.

In those early days the shop only opened during the summer months and it is believed William chose to winter in the Madeira sunshine. As you would expect the business has evolved in many ways since then, however certain principles remain since those early days.

Innovation – We were the first to make a prosecco truffle and then shortly after we followed with our fabulous gin truffle. More recently; although Easter eggs are synonymous with Easter, we decided to move away from the main stream and invented our famous hot cross bun truffle.

But all this only scratches the surface; we are also one of the first chocolate makers to start transitioning to 100% biodegrade packaging, among other things.

Quality – Any new chocolate must meet certain requirements to get past our strict tasting panel. If one of the panel gives a score below 9/10 then we simply won’t offer the chocolate to our customers.

Longevity – We are immensely proud of our historic routes and in this fast moving, ever changing world, we take pride in our tradition and heritage. Our rose and violet creams are the same ones that William sold on that first day of opening, back in 1927. We have survived and prospered over the last 90 years and with the launch of our Ambleside store and an online service, we fully intend to be around for the next 100 years.

After all life is too short, so why settle for ordinary chocolate?

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy
Friars.co.uk 5 star review on 20th February 2021
Linda OBrien
Friars.co.uk 5 star review on 30th December 2020
margaret Campbell
Friars.co.uk 5 star review on 29th December 2020
The chocolates were not as flavourful as I'd like. Very mild flavor.
Dear Suzanne, We are sorry that you were disappointed with the Butter Tablets you received from us. We hope that our customers find our products enjoyable, although unfortunately, they may not be to everyone's personal taste. Kind Regards Friars Customer Service
Lacked taste
Received in good time, unfortunately the chocolate had metled, so was a little disappointed.
Beautifully wrapped eggs. The chocolate is a little too sweet for our liking. Champagne truffles very disappointing flavour. Other filled chocolates were acceptable. Really wanted your products to rival Hotel Chocolat but sadly they don't.
Hi, We are sorry that you were disappointed with the Champagne truffles you received from us. We hope that our customers find our products enjoyable, although unfortunately, they may not be to everyone's personal taste. Kind Regards Friars Customer Service
Quite nice chocs, especially liked the dark chocolate marzipan. I'm vegetarian so very disappointed that I couldn't eat the Violet & Rose creams as they contain cochineal. Is this REALLY necessary with all the vegetarian alternative colours available. Luckily there are plenty of other brands that are vegetarian so I will spend my hard earned money with them. Would have rated them 4 or 5 star otherwise.
Easy to order, but package did arrive a day late, even though I had requested and paid for next day delivery.
Sorry to say that we were not entirely happy with the sugar free chocs. All tasted much the same and not a very nice taste.
Hello,

Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear that you were not happy with the no added sugar chocolate box that you purchased from us. We hope that our customers enjoy the products they purchase from us however they may unfortunately not be to everyone's personal taste.

Kind Regards,
Friars Customer Service
cranberry bombe not so good too many too large,marzipan v good,would prefer smaller choc size
It wasn’t delivered to me.to sign but just left downstairs..anyone could have taken it.
But chocolate is good.. therefore only 3 stars..as it might have got lost.
Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you for your review and we are sorry that your order was not delivered to you directly. We will bring this issue to the attention of our Royal Mail account manager. Glad you enjoyed the chocolate though.

Kind Regards,
Friars Customer Service.
According to the website the coffee creams should be fondant when in fact they are more of a truffle and not very coffee tasting at all. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback and sorry you were disappointed with the taste of the chocolates. The centre of the chocolate is a sugared cream rather than a ganache which is why we describe this on the website as a fondant. We will, however, pass on your feedback on the coffee taste to our chocolatier.
Friars
Expensive and not noticeably better than M an S equivalent.
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, the Asbach Brandy Liquers are a premium brand and the price reflects. We do our best to keep all our prices competitive.
Friars
Ordering and delivery very good and uncomplicated.
Fairly good taste-wise. A little disappointed with the quality of the chocolates themselves. Filling bland and at a cost of over £1 (inc postage) per chocolate I would have expected something better. Have had superior quality from other sources.
Hi,
Thank you for your review, sorry you were disappointed with the taste of the chocolates. We understand the taste is down to personal preference but we always like to receive feedback and we will pass your feedback on to our chocolatier.
Friars
A lot smaller than I thought!
Hi Tracey,
Thank you for your review and sorry you were disappointed in the size of the product.
Our website lists the dimensions of the box for this product and the items included within the gift box.
Friars
Received vegan chocolates which I bought as a stocking filler for my daughter in law who is a vegan, so I cannot comment on the chocolates myself. I was hoping they were going to be in a little box for a better presentation, but never mind. I'm sure she will like them as they are. thank you
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, we're sorry the website does not include a clear image of the packaging. This is something we're looking to rectify in the new year.
Friars
Have always loved friars chocolates, and that has not changed. But ordered some small chocolates online for Christmas, and they came with so much plastic packaging! Please reduce the plastic!
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, we are looking into reducing our plastic packaging in the new year.
Friars
I was disappointed in the way they were presented as I was giving them as presents and I thought they would be in a box
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, we're sorry you were disappointed with the packaging. We are aware that the packaging isn't clear on the image on our website - this is something we will be rectifying in the new year.
Friars
The Chocolate football kit x3 all arrived well packaged and intact!
But cannot comment on the quality of the chocolate. All three were for gifts to my three football crazy Grandsons!
One of the items had a few dints in the packaging but don't want to return it as it was needed for a present..
Hi,
We're sorry your order didn't arrive in pristine condition, we'll pass your feedback on to our packaging team, so hopefully, this won't happen in the future.
Friars
The candles arrived quite quickly but we're far too small for my 40+ year old Christmas Carousel. (Those illustrated must be much smaller). Consequently I was very disappointed. I had to be very careful setting them into wax in the much larger diameter holders, and lighting only 3 at a time they were all used up in less than 3 hours at our little Christmas party. They needed to be twice the height and diameter - is it possible to obtain these anywhere please?
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, we're sorry you were disappointed in the size of the candles. The product description on our website includes the dimensions for the height and diameter of the candles. These are produced to fit our Christmas pyramid.
We're are unsure who would sell candles to fit yours.
Friars
Delivery on time but packaging for expensive chocs could have been better
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, we'll pass this on to our packaging team.
Friars.co.uk is rated 4.80 based on 7,892 reviews