Friars.co.uk Reviews

of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk
customer service
Read Friars.co.uk Reviews

About Friars.co.uk:

Friars is a family business specialising in luxury chocolate and unique gifts. Since 1927 the business has evolved from a gift shop/cafe to a specialist chocolate and gift store.

Our online business was launched in 2010 and more recently we have opened a second ‘Ye Olde Friars’ high street store in Ambleside to support our flagship store in Keswick.

Our gifts are designed in house so you will not find them anywhere else. We want to make it easy for you to be original, so you can give gifts that taste and look amazing and will be remembered.

We love new products (perhaps because we get bored easily!), so every Valentines, Easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas we launch a new range. It certainly keeps us entertained and hopefully our customers interested.

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy
Could not fault the service or choice of chocolates. I was disappointed in the Peanut Butter chocolates though. There was no peanut butter in them just peanuts which were bland and tasteles. The other items were Christmas gifts so cannot comment on those.
Hello Susan,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the peanut butter chocolates you ordered from us. As the chocolates are handmade in small batches, the flavours can vary from time to time and may not be to everyone's taste.
I will, however, pass on your feedback to the chocolatier to make them aware of the issue you have highlighted.
Friars Customer Service
These were a present so I don’t know what the chocolates tasted like but the delivery was prompt and packaging was lovely.
ordered chocolate dinosaurs ,,,, processed and delivered with no problems ,,, however the price for a tiny box of chocolate dinosaurs was a tad expensive ,,, with delivery it was over 7 pound ,,,,, bit pricy
Hello, I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your purchase from us. However, the dimensions of each chocolate dinosaur and the average quantity of the contents inside is detailed in the description on our website so that our customers are fully aware of what they are purchasing. If you wish to return the item, please contact us directly and we will be able to advise you on how to do this. Kind Regards Friars Customer Service
Website, placing the order and speed of dispatch and delivery were all great! However, as I ordered these for my daughters christening it was a shame to see them turn up with a lot of the meraingues broken...in fact, there were peices of them in the cardboard delivery box. Hopefully I will be able to save a few for the day :-( It might be worth putting fragile stickers on certain items when sending out for delivery?
Hello Hannah,
I'm sorry that your meringues were broken on arrival. We always like to know if our items don't arrive in the perfect condition we would expect them to. If you wish, I will send a replacement out for you via first class post and if you contact us directly, I can arrange this for you.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Friars Customer Service
Disappointed to be honest. Bought three snowman hot choc spoons these are ok but look a little bashed. Also bought 3 Santa spoons, one arrived broken the others look bashed and packaging looks photocopied compared to the snowman spoons. I wouldn’t recommend ordering from you.
Hello Carys,
Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry that your products didn't arrive in the perfect condition we would expect them to.
We are not responsible for the packaging on the products, as the hot chocolate spoons are a product we buy in from our supplier. I will, however, pass on your comments to them so that they are aware of your disappointment.
We are happy to replace the broken hot chocolate spoon for you and this can be done by contacting us directly where we will arrange this for you.
Friars Customer Service
The truffles were bit sweet for me but the bar of chocolate was good.
Good customer service. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the chocolates as my order paid for as next day delivery never arrived which was very disappointing. But when I called they refunded the order in full.
Delivery was fine - chocolates received in good condition. Nevertheless they weren’t to the recipients taste who wasn’t very found. The chocolate was nice however the cherry liquer filling was a bit insipid. When ordering I wasn’t aware that the cherries weren’t stoned. Also thought the stalks were not real ones. For the price thought they’d be better -Sorry.
Thank you for your review. I am glad that the chocolates arrived in a good condition but am sorry to hear that the recipient did not enjoy the chocolates. With regard to the stones in the cherries, soaking the whole cherry is the best way of producing these chocolates and means that they keep their unique shape once dipped in the chocolate. We do state that the stone is included in the description on the website and also on the back of the chocolate box.

Kind Regards,
Friars Customer Service.
Cherries 🍒 are a sinful delight. Boxed assortment disappointing.
Hello Rachel,
I'm glad that you enjoyed the cherries and I'm sorry that the milk assortment wasn't to your taste.
I will pass on your feedback to our team.
Friars Customer Service.
Alot smaller than expected. No sweets included. Packaged in a larger box only to open and realise the actual size was disappointing.
Hi Caroline,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the jelly bean dispenser you purchased from us. The listing on our website does state that jelly beans are not included and the full dimensions of the dispenser are also listed to avoid any confusion.
If you would like to return the item for a full refund, please contact us directly and we will be able to advise you going forward.
Friars Customer Service
Quick delivery but smaller than anticipated
Truffles were great compared to any other but not a hint of gin in it. Fairly disappointed about that.
Hello Kevin,
Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the truffles you received from us. As the truffles are handmade, there will be occasions where the flavours may vary from time to time. However, I will pass on your comments to highlight the issue you have raised.
Friars Customer Service
It was the perfect gift for my daughter however the presentation wasn’t great as the chocolate frogs were all marked and looked as though they had been piled in a box
Hi Maria,
Thank you for your feedback. Due to the shape of the frogs, we packaged them in the best fitting box to keep them secure; however there is a chance that they have moved around in transit which could have caused the marks. We will bear your comments in mind when sending orders of this nature out in future.
Friars Customer Service
Daffodils chocs looked great not so happy with the fishing chocs they didn’t look as good as advert air bubbles in most of it and looked cheap although they were not
Hello Karen,
I'm sorry that you were unhappy with the fishing kit you received from us. Air bubbles can occur from time to time due to the nature of the product. The figures are produced using a mould and the filling can often create air bubbles. Although every effort is made to avoid this, occasionally air bubbles can still be present.
I got a full refund
The item I purchased was well packaged and arrived quickly, however I do not feel the product was as good quality as pictured on their site or as expected. Described as Belgian chocolate on site, but not on the product and when queried I had to research the product by following links to qualify the description. Seemed a bit over the top. I was going to return it, but I did not have time to before Valentines day, so I decided to risk giving it is a present and I hoped my fella wouldn't be disappointed.
Hello, I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the product you ordered from us. All of our chocolate kits are made with Belgian milk chocolate but I will pass on your feedback to the factory and see if we can have this made clear on the packaging. Kind Regards Friars Customer Service
Receptionist on the phone was extremely helpful and there were no errors in spelling or punctuation on the gift tag! I have not been offered the option of suggesting improvements. The coffee flavour could definitely have been stronger in all our coffee selection chocolates. In some, it was barely discernible. Also I felt the chocolates were not 100% fresh. They appeared slightly 'tired'. Perhaps you don't sell many of this selection?
Hello Lucy, I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the chocolates you ordered from us. The Coffee Collection is our most popular chocolate box and we sell a lot of them. With regards to the flavours, the chocolates are handmade so the batches may vary in flavour during production. I can assure you that all of our chocolates are fresh as they are produced on a regular basis, due to the popularity of this box. Kind Regards Friars Customer Service
Disappointed at the presentation quite expensive chocolates bought as a gift came in a bag. Sure they were boxed when I ordered last time. They arrived I damaged as had cardboard delivery box. Arrived quickly after order so pleased about that
Hello Mrs Tanner,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your puchase from us. We do sell boxes of the dark chocolate cherry liqueurs in sizes of 8 or 24 chocolates. However, the chocolates you ordered from us were the taster packs which contain 6 chocolates in a tray and are covered with a cellophane wrapping.
With regards to the packaging, all of our orders are dispatched in cardboard boxes and we try to pack them so as to avoid any damage in transit but this obviously hasn't happened with your order and I will pass your comments on to our packing team so that they are aware of the issue you have encountered.
If you wish to return the chocolates for a refund, please contact us directly and we will arrange this for you.
Friars Customer Service
For my 94 yr old Mother they were a bit too large and hard !
Hi Pamela,
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the truffles you ordered from us.
Our truffles are handmade which means the size can vary slightly but they are made to a standard truffle size. The chocolate shell can also vary in thickness due to the nature of production but I will pass your comments on to our chocolatier so they are aware of the issue you have highlighted to us.
Friars Customer Service
Unfortunately I am unable to review my sweets as the postman who delivered them decided that leaving the package on my doorstep on the wettest day of the year was a sensible idea!! The packaging had completed disintegrated in the rain and the contents were also soaking wet. The New Berry Fruits box was saturated and the bag containing Jelly Belly jellybeans also contained rainwater! The only thing I could do with the whole lot was throw it in the bin. Not really your problem but I just thought I should let you know.
Hello Kim,
I'm sorry that your order didn't arrive with you in tact as we would expect.
Unfortunately, as we rely on a third party to deliver our orders, we can not control what happens with the orders once they have left us. If you have any photographs of the order you received from us, I would be grateful if you could send them to us so that we can follow up on the issue with Royal Mail.
I can send out a replacement or refund your order for you, whichever you wish.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Friars.co.uk is rated 4.79 based on 4,174 reviews