Friars.co.uk Reviews

of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk
customer service
Read Friars.co.uk Reviews

About Friars.co.uk:

Friars is a family business specialising in luxury chocolate and unique gifts. Since 1927 the business has evolved from a gift shop/cafe to a specialist chocolate and gift store.

Our online business was launched in 2010 and more recently we have opened a second ‘Ye Olde Friars’ high street store in Ambleside to support our flagship store in Keswick.

Our gifts are designed in house so you will not find them anywhere else. We want to make it easy for you to be original, so you can give gifts that taste and look amazing and will be remembered.

We love new products (perhaps because we get bored easily!), so every Valentines, Easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas we launch a new range. It certainly keeps us entertained and hopefully our customers interested.

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy
I cannot write a review yet as the goods bought are Xmas presents and I shall have to wat until the recipients tell me what they thought of them Ronald McNeill
The marzipan fruits are really lovely. I had some last year and they are really Tasteful. I was also happy with when you picked which fruit you wanted to eat was really decorated to a professional standard.
I placed one order with Friars for over £60. I rated it as acceptable. I’ve bought before but not in this quantity. A bit pricey, considering delivery charges too, but the designs of the products are attractive and great as gifts for children. Something a bit different. Nicely packaged and arrived when expected. I had a problem with their ‘anti fraud’ policy and they kept refusing my payment. After three attempts I phoned my bank and they confirmed the transactions had all been authorised but that it was Friars who were refusing to accept my payment as per their policy. However, they eventually accepted a PayPal payment but I was just about to abandon the transaction as it was taking up too much of my time and it was frustrating. I expect others who may have had a similar problem would feel the same way. I contacted Friars and It appeared to be an issue with my address but my PayPal details are exactly the same so a bit confused still. Can’t understand why they would over-rule the security of a bank authorisation though. Surely that’s the whole purpose of requesting such authorisation. I was also disappointed that they did not offer free delivery for an order over £50. Let’s face it not many online retailers don’t offer that these days. I received four separate emails asking me to review the one order, so a bit of an issue there. I rated my experience as acceptable because of the issues I had. I could have abandoned the transaction but decided to proceed, so my own fault on that front. I think they may have some technical issues they need to address that would ensure a smoother experience. I thought they may have included, as a goodwill gesture, a small item for free or even a note of apology for the frustration I experienced, but no, not a mention of it.
Goods arrived in good time but I felt the delivery charge was far more than it should be.
Nice to have a choice of vegan chocolates but price point far too high to repurchase
Hi,
Thank you for your message, the price point is slightly higher than other chocolates due to premium ingredients used to make the handmade chocolates and the packaging being biodegradable.
Friars Customer Service
Honestly a bit disappointed. Very expensive and the chocolate tastes quite cheap - it doesn’t melt in your mouth. The flavours are quite weak and it mostly tastes of sugar. I recommend Booja Booja, not these.
Hello,
We're sorry that the vegan truffles you ordered from us weren't to your taste. All the Vegan chocolatier truffles are handmade and as a result, the flavour and texture can sometimes vary from batch to batch.
We will, however, pass on your feedback to the chocolatier so that they are aware of the issue you have highlighted.
Friars Customer Service
they taste okay but they aren’t as smooth or creamy as I expected from their marketing. I’m also puzzled by how they just launched in September but there are clearly reviews from November last year..
The gift box arrived a bit worn at the corners and the bow had loose ends which gave the present a cheap appearance. Also the chocolates arrived in plastic trays and not in their own box. Overall acceptable but not a good first impression!
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry the item did not arrive in perfect condition. The ribbon should have been pick up at our end before being dispatched we will pass your comments on to the packing team. We will also pass your comments regarding the plastic to our design team.
Friars Customer Service
I recently ordered 3 lots of chocolates and I thought they were terrible. I tried 1 of each and disliked them intensly. What a waste of money?
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the chocolates you received from us and they were not to your taste. We hope that our customers find our products enjoyable, although unfortunately they may not be to everyone's personal taste.
Friars Customer Service
Having bought the luxury coffee egg for my wife she was disappointed to find the egg didn't taste of coffee at all but milk chocolate. The only coffee chocolates were 6 little chocolates. A slight false advertising there to be fair. Will not be buying again!!!!!
The package looks nice but it's smaller then I expected. Arrived in time for Easter Unable to comment on the contents, as it hasn't been opened yet. It's an Easter gift for my daughter. But I'm sure she will love it if she can taste the gin.
The vegan chocolates are nice but the filling tastes more like an icing than a chocolate truffle filling. It also has a funny taste to it. I wouldn’t buy them again for the price.
My order was initially sent to the wrong address, to the Billing Address. However, they soon rectified the situation when notified and sent out a further box of chocolates to the correct address.
Can't really comment as this was given as a present - and she's probably saving it for Easter.
Good quality but very over priced. Fruits small but do taste nice. Having said that, had much nicer and bigger for less from well known suppliers. Had hoped these would be a bit more special for Mothers Day gift
Great chocolates, overpriced though
Hello,
We're sorry that you found our products to be overpriced. We aim to keep our costs at a reasonable level and remain competitive with other retailers in the market. We will, however, pass on your feedback to the team for future reference and we hope that you enjoy the products you ordered from us.
Friars Customer Service
I really wanted a dark chocolate coffee collection as the one that I have received was overly sweet and and size of the chocolate are way too big for one portion. The white chocolate in addition with the sickly sweet, thick coffee fillings brings it over the top and burns my throat. The only chocolate I enjoyed was the dark chocolate with coffee mousse inside as it's the perfect balance of sweet and bitter. I would definitely bag of only that chocolate.
Hello,
I'm sorry that the chocolates in our coffee collection weren't to your taste. This is one of our most popular chocolate boxes and the majority of our customers enjoy the variety of chocolates included in this selection. Your feedback will, however, be passed on to the design team.
Friars Customer Service
Product was well presented, a little on the pricey side
The chocolates are great, but for the price you pay the packaging is very lacklustre. It looks cheap, particularly the shallow white boxes that are used for the selections of 24 chocolates. The size of every box I have ordered thus far is significantly smaller than expected, and as most (if not all) product pages seem to neglect including measurements - this makes shopping with Friars a bit of a gamble. I also found that the Noel chocolate box I ordered was described as having a Christmas ornament on the front that could be removed, yet it was very difficult to separate from the packaging, and once free, was covered in large, thick splodges of glue that ruined any appeal it might have as an ornament. It also failed to include any means of identifying the flavours of the chocolates, so that too was a gamble, which was disappointing as a different box of 24 chocolates provided pictures and descriptions of them all. All in all, I feel I’d prefer to shop at more well-known brands so that I can guarantee consistent quality and feel as though I know exactly what will arrive at my door. Thank you for your time! :)
Hello,

Thank you for your review and feedback regarding the packaging of our chocolates. We do provide the dimensions of certain products but clearly this would be useful across all lines and we will look into implementing this. With regard to the Noel chocolate box, this should have had a menu included in the box and I apologise that this was not the case. We will also take into consideration the way in which we attach the decoration when designing next years boxes. Thanks again.

Regards,
Friars Customer Service
I ordered the assorted brazil nuts in a jar. There were supposed to be milk, dark, and white chocolate coated nuts in the jar. Unfortunately most of them were white chocolate coated, there were some dark and only a few milk chocolate coated nuts, totally opposite of the picture on the website. There was an option to add a gift card with a message on it. It's a joke. There was no option to enter your message in more lines so I thought it was going to be edited before printing. But it was just printed in one line, addressing, message and closing. Don't waste your money on it, you're better off buying your own gift tag and write your message yourself. As it was a gift I don't know the quality if the product.
Hello Krisztina,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were not happy with the way in which the gift message was printed, unfortunately it is not possible to check and edit the gift messages before printing. We will bring the fact that you can only enter the message in one line to the attention of our web developers.

Regards,