The Tax Refund Company Reviews

Refunds Process
Very Easy
Read The Tax Refund Company  Reviews

Tell us how The Tax Refund Company made you happy
Wondered why I wasn't entitled to anything
Hi, don't worry, if you weren't entitled to a refund it just means that you have paid the correct amount of tax. At least you now have that peace of mind and it didn't cost you a penny to find out. Kind regards
Wondered why I wasn't entitled
I have taken the time to complete the online form but it will not accept my signature at the end.

I had to click send me the documents in the post to sign.
Thanks so much for choosing to use us to look at your tax situation for you.

The signature issue is very strange, thanks for letting us know. We are still getting hundreds of signatures through every week so it may just be one of those software compatibility issues...or we had had so many at the point you were doing it that it needed a lie down!

Seriously though, thanks for letting us know, it really is appreciated, I'll pass the info on to our web developers to look into.

Kind regards
I have had numerous emails from the TAXrefund Co saying that I had not finished filling in the form. I do not understand why this keeps happening and I would be most grateful if someone could look into this for me and let me know if I am actually due a tax refund.
Regards...........Kathyrn Bolton
Hello Kathryn, Please you email me with your client reference number or post code so I can see what information we are short of? Thanks, mel@thetaxrefundcompany.co.uk
I have just filled in the tax form so will wait to hear from them.
Hi, thanks for taking the time to give us a review, just wondering why you only gave us 2 stars - could you give us some feedback please? Many thanks
Not heard anything back for over 10 weeks no update what so ever only 2 star's
Hi Craig, thanks for getting in touch. Do you have your reference number so that we can look into this for you?
I'm not quite sure why you have only retrieved £180 when the tax people had told me I should be due 300 ? Have you really just charged me £120 for your services ???
Hi Mark

When making an application with us, our fees are laid out on our website for you to read and before we can even begin working on your behalf, you have to agree with the fee and authorise us to work on your behalf. That being said, you should have been aware of the percentage we charge and that you did agree to pay it.

We have, on the other hand, secured you a successful refund which you may not have got by yourself. As well as adjusting your tax code for you so that you will now be paying the correct amount of tax, which will save you money in the long run.

Thanks for your review, wishing you all the best in 2020.

Mel
Filled in all the paperwork a few months later they asked me to phone HMRC had to give HMRC all the info I filled out on the paperwork. So they want money for me phoning and sorting it myself.
Hi Daniel

When you spoke to us on the phone, we advised you that HMRC had no record of your date of marriage. They would not accept this information from us considering it would need to be delivered to them by you personally. At which point, you were advised to call HMRC and provide them with the details of your marriage so that we could continue with your claim.

By the time you were advised to call HMRC, we had already reviewed your details and done the work on your claim and were waiting to see if HMRC needed anything further from us. I'm sorry that you feel our fee was not deserved, but as I've explained to you here, we still did the work on your behalf and the call you made to HMRC was only to provide your marriage details.

Thank you for your review, wishing you all the best in 2020.

Mel
Overall, I am displeased with the service the company has provided me with. Not only is the percentage, which you take, undeniably extortionate, my experience was inadequate. My original cheque got 'lost' in the post and I had to wait several months for a new one to be reissued. Which then delayed the process even further. HMRC did the correct thing on their end when I spoke to them. No one could provide me with an adequate reason as to why the cheque had been lost. Please can I ask, as per the privacy policy on your website, that all of my details are deleted from your system as I unfortunately will not be using the Taxrefundcompany again.
Hi

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment. There was indeed a delay in the time it took for you to receive your cheque, but in your review you seem to be suggesting that the delay was due to the service that we offer (my apologies if that's not what you're suggesting) - just to be clear, the events were as follows:

You applied to us originally in mid July. We contacted you on a number of occasions throughout the weeks after in order to get you to complete your information and sign the form we require to be able to act on your behalf. We received this from you on the 6th September and began work reviewing your application, submitting your claim just 7 days later on the 13th (it's worth noting at this point that HMRC can take between 6-30 weeks to process a claim - this information was included in the email we sent you at the time).

On the 31st October we were made aware that a cheque was due but hadn't yet arrived, so on the same day we arranged for HMRC to issue a second cheque, and advised you that it can take them up to 7 weeks for this to happen (they have to check that the previous cheque has not been cashed and ensure that it has been cancelled before they will re-issue a new one).

Once we received the cheque from HMRC it was processed and issued to you the following day (the banking process usually takes 14 days).

As you hopefully can see from what I have outlined above, we have delivered a prompt and professional service at every stage of your application - any delays that you have experienced were unfortunately due to circumstances outside of our control.

With regards to removing your details, we can ensure that you are removed from any further marketing communications but as you have received a refund we have to keep a basic level of detail for accounting purposes (we have to be able to show where the money went).

I hope you enjoy your refund regardless of the delays, and don't forget that due to our service you will now be paying less tax and saving money each year from now on.

Mel
My tax refund was calculated from 2015 - 2018 and the total overpaid tax was £398.49. To my surprise, the tax company only send me a check of £164, therefore, I think the service was just not good enough.
Hi Oluseun,

Thanks for raising this.

The cheque we received for your refund from HMRC was for £265.62, not £398.42 so you have been charged the correct fee

When HMRC write to you with calculations covering refunds across a number of tax years, they tell you how much is due back for each of the tax years separately, but when they do this they include the previous year’s amount in the following year in a cumulative manner, which we appreciate can be a bit confusing:

For example, let’s say you are owed £50 for 4 separate years – 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 – so £200 in total.

• When HMRC write to you they will give you a calculation for 2015 which will say you are owed £50.

• For 2016, although you are only owed £50 for that year, they will give you a calculation which includes the previous year as well and say that you are owed £100

• For 2017, again although you are only owed £50 for that year, they will give you a calculation which includes the previous 2 years as well and say that you are owed £150

• For 2018, yet again although you are only owed £50 for that year, they will give you a calculation which includes the previous 3 years as well and say that you are owed £200

• However – this is where the confusion lies, customers then think that they are owed a refund of £50 for the first year, plus £100 for the second year, plus £150 for the third year, plus £200 for the fourth year, so in this example a total of £500 when in actual fact, as explained in the point above, the total figure is actually the £200 illustrated on the final year’s tax calculation.

I hope that makes sense, if you require any further information please don’t hesitate to give us a call on 0161 968 7345 or alternatively you could also contact HMRC directly and they will confirm their process too.

Mel,
The Tax Refund Company
Once the Refund was identified by HMRC and Cheque issued, 3 weeks until I received the cheque for my refund from Taxrefundco. Poor excuse as to the reason why the funds were held for such a period and unable to answer my question when challenged. Will advise colleagues via social media of the relatively easy way people can get refund and not pay for the privilege (would have had no issue would the company have released my part of the refund immediately).
Hi Lee, sorry to hear you weren't totally happy with the time it took for us to process your refund. We do state that it can take up to 28 days in the FAQ section on our website, but aim to have everything processed within 14 - which yours was.

There are 2 main reasons that we allow this time - when we receive cheques from HMRC we bank them immediately and do nothing for the first 7 days. This is deliberate as HMRC can make mistakes and process refunds that aren't due / they think are wrong and will ask for the refund to be returned. As you can imagine - as a customer, if you received a refund and were then asked for it back, you wouldn't be very happy.

We allow the second 7 days for us to then check that we think HMRC have got it right - we are making a claim due to them not having your tax code correct after all and we often come across cases where they still have not corrected it in full. We then challenge these cases and continue to work with HMRC until we have received every penny the customer is due.

Obviously dealing with the hundreds of refunds that we do week in week out, it can take some time to get through them all - (hence we quote 28 days on our website). I believe this was all explained to you on the telephone when you raised the issue last week.

Again, sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the time it took, but I hope you were happy with the refund you received.

Kind regards

I didn’t get a refund
Hi Stephanie

Sorry to hear that you didn't receive a refund this time, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This usually means that you're paying the correct amount of tax and everything is in order.

Mel
I have been in touch with the tax office today as although I have received letters from the tax office advising me of my refund I have not received a cheque. The tax office have advised me that this was sent to a 3rd party TRC. I have not received any refund from TRC ???
Good morning Clare,

Sorry to hear your cheque hasn't arrived yet...

Looking at our systems, I can see that we posted you the cheque on 12th September, so I'm not sure what's happened there.

I can also see, however, that the cheque has not been cashed yet.

A replacement cheque will be in the post to you tomorrow - so you can expect to receive it in a few days! :)

Apologies for any delay - if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime, do please let us know.

The Tax Refund Company
Although the outcome was successful, I was disappointed by the fees involved in a straight forward claim. I have shared and discussed this already.
The reason for the, 2 stars is because of the, 38% that you take from the refund.
I understand that there is admin fees etc,but at 38% that is outrageous.
My tax, refund, was almost £800 when I received it, it was just under the £500 mark.
You should state that you take 38% in the, forms and, that you are 3rd party company.
I didn't know, this until I phones up 3 weeks after I received a letter from DWP saying I'd receive my check with 14 days of that letter. Which never happend.
It was almost a month before I got mine.

The lady who I spoke to in your team, on the, phone was very polite and very helpful and, she speeded up the, process to get my cheque to me.

I would, 100% use your company again, but on one, condition.. You drop the percentage down to 20% and state at the top of every form that you are, a 3rd party company and that you take a percentage.
The process took a long time. In my opinion, charging 38p for every £1 recovered is very expensive and doesn't match the service on offer, particularly considering that it would be far cheaper, and possibly be quicker, to approach HMRC direct.
Letter from HMRC stated that I was owed £361.59. Cheque received was for £224.19.
The Tax Refund Company is rated 4.45 based on 672 reviews