Award-winning and affordable lifestyle, commuter, urban and road bikes, hand built in the UK.

sales@mangobikes.com

Mango Bikes,The Mallards,Gloucestershire

Verified Buyer

Great service from you, even though all contact was by email you knew that you were in contact with a real person!!
Bike is awesome too!!!
Very pleased thank you.
Steve smith
Verified Reviewer

I've had my Mango single speed since 2012 when the company launched. it's still running on the original wheels and components and in fact the only thing I have changed is the tyres. Solid bike for flying around the city.
Verified Buyer

Firstly would like to say, thank you very much for a great bike & that I'm very pleased with it.

Ok, so lets get the slightly negative bits out of the way...

When i first received my bike, it was sent with the wrong size seat post. The seat post that was sent was too small in diameter & could have caused damage to the bike if i had tried to tighten the seat post clamp around it, luckily i spotted it soon enough. I purchased the correct size post & fitted it & your team refunded me the cost of the new post. Which i was extremely happy with - so no real problems there, hope you have resolved that easy mistake to make.
Secondly, the gears were not really set up and tuned correctly. The bike may well have been bench tested before it was sent out to me, but i was certainly not road tested as the gear were pretty far out. I had to take it to my local shop to get tuned at a cost of £15.
Another slight issue, was that after pumping my rear tyre up to 100psi (120 psi is max) my inner tube burst. This was caused by the inner liner that protects the inner tube from the spoke ends being, quite frankly no use at all, so i had to get a new inner tube and new lining at a cost of £8. Though this is down the Chasewood who make the wheels and I'm guessing supply the tyres also?
Other than those minor hiccups, i am extremely pleased with my bike. Im a serving member of the armed forces and i use the bike for fitness training after work, also travelling around the base where i am stationed. Its a Point R model, in the fluorescent yellow & certainly catches the eye.
I have spread the word around to my colleagues about mango bikes & they are all very intrigued, as the bikes you are producing are fantastic value for money and i wish you all the success in your business.
I think it is great they you have innovative designs that can allow people to purchase a bike with a customised feel about it for a reasonable price.
Jon M

Where to begin…

I heard of Mango bikes a few years ago and have always fancied getting myself one. After thinking about it for a while I finally ordered one in early June 2016 under the finance package offered by one of their partners.
When I placed my order I was really chuffed with my design and could not wait to finally get my hands on it. Unfortunately to my disappointment, the problems seemed to start not long after I placed my order.

It was stated on the website that the bike would be delivered to me within 10-12 working days. Happy days. 10-12 passed and I heard nothing from Mango. I contacted them and they explained that they had sent out the order through the courier service DX, and I was provided with a tracking number. I traced and tracked my parcel through them and unfortunately it was found that it had been lost by DX. Not Mango’s fault I know. However, it was left to me to do all the running around to find out this information and was told by Mango, ‘you seem to know more than us’. This continued for over week or so and Mango kindly offered to build me a new bike and send it out post-haste. Marvellous. The bike arrived a few days later and I was absolutely made up with it, it was finally here.

A few rides in and all was well. Within a few weeks I noticed that the brakes were extremely loose and the gears were locking and reluctant to move into a high gear for me. I took my bike into ‘The Hub’ in Swansea and they rectified these changes for me for a fee of £15. I felt I should be reimbursed for this and informed Mango of the problems. They replied and said if I could provide them with a copy of the receipt they would be happy to refund me the money. I gave them a copy and my refund was issued, not in the lump sum I paid, but was refunded to me over the course of the finance package. For example, around £1.70ish was taken off my direct debit at the end of each month. Not what I was expecting as I paid the £15 up front for the work and should have received the same in return from Mango.

Since the work was carried out on the bike, it has been fine again. However, in the last few weeks I have noticed that rust has appeared on the chain of the bike. I have only had the bike around 6 months and there is no way this should be starting the appear this early into me owning the bike. The bike is kept in my flat in Swansea and is regularly oiled/lubricated and generally cleaned after each ride. Due to the amount of problems I have faced with the bike, I felt enough was enough and wanted to send the bike back and receive a refund. I again voiced my concerns to Mango and wanted a refund for the amount I had already paid. Given that I had already faced numerous problems with the bike, I was expecting the refund procedure to be fairly straight forward. Absolutely not. It explains on the website that all bikes come with a 3 year guarantee and if you are experiencing problems then to please contact Mango directly. I contacted them and after a long while they replied asking to see photos to show the faults. After providing numerous photos and a video showing these, they immediately dismissed the idea of a refund and gave me further advice of how to correct the problem and that it was no big issue. After correcting so many problems myself and taking it in and out of bike workshops I felt I was passed this point. I feel that my request of a refund was not a big ask. I was not happy with the bike and feel like I have been totally let down by the service. You have to send sometimes two or three emails to get a response and the phone lines do not seem to be working (either that or they have blocked my number). There are constant obstacles put in place from themselves and a total reluctance and cooperation to help.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mango are one of the worst companies I have ever faced in regards to general customer service. After facing so many problems I feel like I was more than entitled to a refund. I have explained to them many, many, many times that I would be willing to send the bike back to them and have provided them with more than enough evidence to warrant a refund. I have sent one final email to them explaining that I will be contacting Trading Standards if nothing further is done, or if my emails continue to be dismissed.

I am hugely, hugely disappointed as I was delighted when I first received the bike. My experience could be a one off, but the way my (surely straightforward) enquiry has been handled is appalling.

Who knows if I will get a refund or get any further with Mango. I won’t hold my breath.

Taylor
Verified Reviewer

I recently bought a Point R taking advantage of their £180 pound off the full 105 set up, I personally was very impressed with their regular communication and build updates via email, the bike was built a day in advance of their original target which impressed me and so delivered a day earlier.

Having received the bike and ridden it my opinion is still very positive, the value for money is great and although a little bit heavy it makes for a great winter road bike and would suit as a beginner bike, though this is the intended market anyway so no surprise there. The only negative I could mention if being picky was that you have no say as to when the bike will be delivered, I was lucky my neighbour took it in as it was delivered whilst I was at work. Overall though I'd have to say 10 out of 10 ????
Lynn O
Verified Reviewer

Ordered a customised bike from Mango for my son Rory's 21st birthday. There was a slight hold-up with delivery but when I explained it needed to be here for the big day, Noah pulled out all the stops to get the bike pushed forward in the queue and the bike arrived special delivery at 8.30 on birthday. It's now fully assembled and he loves it – cheers guys!
Paul
Unverified Reviewer

I have just bought a custom classic fixed bike from Mango. I went to visit them first as not all reviews have been great. I did order on line, interesting experience but did manage in end to get the right price in the basket. The bike was built on the agreed date, no issues at this stage and good replies to my various questions. On the day of pick up they had built wrong bike - however by lunch time I had right bike bought to my place of work. These things do happen. Took the bike out for 50 Miles of fixed hard work. For £361 the bike ran true, the wheels soaked up the poor Wiltshire roads, the brakes worked well and overall it should make an excellent winter bike.
Martyn
Verified Reviewer

To start things off, I absolutely love the bike - point AR, in the gorgeous and manly gunmetal, Shimano Sora groupset / FSA crank. Looking forward to takeing this bike out for long rides on British potholed ridden roads, for which my previous bike could not handle but this bad boy seems to be the answer.

So delivery was a little slow as I ordered on the 22/10/16 and took delivery on 10/11/16 but hey good things come to those who wait. And the wait was worth it.

I received my new shiny bike in the new fully built delivery box which takes seconds to fully assemble, just a few Allen key tightning here and there, my only criticism was a flat front tire, which turned out to be due to a slow puncture, ok easy enough to fix, In fairness to Mango they responded very quickly and said they would send me out some more innertubes to compensate. (Yep happy with that)

All in all I would have given 5 stars if only for the few small issues - I would recommend Mango as a company and builders of great bikes and look forward to seeing great things from them in the future.
Ralph G
Verified Reviewer

I recently bought a Point AR frameset and Point R Sora version with Vision wheels upgrade.
Frameset delivered in the Netherlands after 5 days, complete bike within 3 weeks. Excellent packed, great bikes! I build the Point AR myself as a fast commuter and really love it. Point R complete bike is just in for a few days. I only put one extra layer of gel bartape, a set of fenders and swapped Conti 25mm tires for Michelin 28mm endurance tires for this winter. Excellent build, after putting seatpost, front wheel, dropbar and pedals in place I could ride it for over 40km testride without any adjustment!
Great service too, "Noah" answered E-mail questions next day with very valid information.
I have bought and build quite a few bikes last few years, but these bike have excellent ride qualities, look very good and are amazing value for money.
Verified Buyer

I placed an order on the 11th September 2016 and today is the 21St. I emailed them twice, twittered them and I got no reply. My patience has run out and that has led me to public announcement. On the verge of cancelling my order and wanting a refund.
Roberta
Verified Reviewer

I ordered a lady classic bike (chic cream colour) online this summer and I had to wait more than one month. No problem I was told that. When I received it, the bike was scratched and....the colour was completely different from what I chose and awful! Well..they told me that they changed colour recently and that they don' t do chic cream anymore. The website is still not updated! You can choose a chic cream bike and you would receive a coffe one.
The worst..they let me send them back the bike which they received two weeks ago and NOT A TRACE OF REFUND YET!
Roland
Verified Reviewer

Having a dreadful time with Mango at the moment. Tempted by a good discount through O2 Priority, I ordered two bikes on 16th August utilising the attractive interest free credit option on both. When I found out that the wait time was longer than suggested when I ordered (5th Sept shipping), I emailed to cancel one of the orders (21st August) and received a relatively prompt reply (23rd) saying that 'I have now cancelled your order and issued a refund for you. I'm so sorry we weren't able to meet your expectations for this order' which seemed straightforward enough.

Having checked the website regularly, I was concerned that the order was still in the 'processing' stage according to the website and emailed (29th) to say that this order was still live. Ironically, it was also being dispatched earlier than originally scheduled on 1st Sept. I asked that they would ensure that the order been cancelled as agreed and that the finance agreement was cancelled. The next day (30th), I received a response ('I've just checked this out and your order has been cancelled and removed from the build queue. Do you have a screenshot you could send through for me to investigate?') and sent the screenshot across, pointing out that had not been credited back the deposit from the finance company either. Again, I had a swift and encouraging response, even if it contradicted the previous claim that the order had been cancelled ('Leave this with me. I'll get this processed right away').

Latest episode of the saga was the email I received on 1st September telling me that the bike I no longer wanted and the order that I had cancelled had been dispatched. I have now written to cancel the other order too but will not hold my breath for the length of time it takes to action that and look likely to have the inconvenience of returning two unwanted bikes and pursuing two credit agreements that will need to be cancelled. Very poor and disappointing.
Trixie R
Verified Buyer

In general I am very pleased my two Point AR bikes, however after a few weeks I have had to carry out repairs to my gear cables as the steel outer works its way through the plastic end ferrule. I have now replaced the supplied cables with more robust types with metal ferrules. I'm either unlucky or this is a weakness in the overall build quality.

Bike is awesome too!!!
Very pleased thank you.
Steve smith

Steve H
Verified Buyer

Appalling service all the way.

Ordered a single speed from Mango, two delivery dates agreed weren't kept to by Mango as they were busy. Bike turned up unannounced when I wasn't in, courier communication was just as bad as Mango's service.

Requested refund on a number of occasions which was ignored. Bike eventually arrived missing parts despite requesting the bike being sent with everything included.

A trail of broken promises by Will at Mango led me to consulting trading standards. They promised a refund for the missing items and delivery charges weeks ago ..... nothing. Ridiculous, expect good service until they have your money.

Latest e-mail unanswered, will go down the official route now.
Hi Steve, we've let ourselves down with this one. It was initially a stock failure on our part with the seatpost that you wanted, and then unfortunate courier problems that made your experience worse. Obviously we've sorted all of this with you now but we just want to reiterate that we don't wish any customer to have anything but a great experience with us.
Neil L
Verified Reviewer

It's seems that one star reviews get removed from this site so I will try again, but this doesn't seem to be particularly ethical.

Bought my bike in January, on arrival looked nice but on assembly it was apparent that the headset was tight which was confirmed on my first ride when I nearly came off due to the problem with the headset. Number of punctures do to the inadequate tyres provided with the bike and then the spokes on the front wheel started to come loose. One eventually came out. The gears hadn't been set up correctly which I had to sort myself.

Mango agreed I could take it to a bike shop to get the headset sorted out. They confirmed it hadn't been assembled correctly and it was dangerous. The paint had chipped off around the headset due to the tightness. Mango did provide upgraded wheels due to the spoke issue which were better for a short period.

After a few more weeks bottom bracket went so eventually I was sent a new bike which was fine but recently the rear hub bearings have gone in the rear wheel (water ingress) which I accept can happen but on top of everything else means I have no confidence in the bike. On the new bike the front derailleur was twisted on receipt which I had to sort myself again.

The bike is actually great when it works, looks really good and rides well but the constant problems have meant I wouldn't buy a Mango again. This is a shame as I wanted to support an emerging British firm, others have no doubt had a good experience but mine has been pretty frustrating and disappointing.

No doubt this one star review will disappear again.
Hi Neil, we're really sorry that you had a bad experience with the bike. We hope that the solutions we have now provided for you are adequate.

We take a lot of pride in the design and operation of our bikes, and take all feedback very seriously. We have a Point AR rider in the Transcontinental Race this year and another rider travelling over 3000 miles on his Point R.
Simon B
Verified Buyer

The bike is excellent, and the desire to solve an issue caused by delivery is also good, the whole experience was let down by the courier service. My wife is excited to get out on the prom on her new green ladies classic! the bike arrived with minimal work left to get it operational, and helpful videos on the website, I am strongle considering the classic singlespeed but also the point r!!
Harry B
Unverified Reviewer

Where do I start?
The amount of problems I have had with mango bikes is insane. I'll attempt to go through them all.

Firstly the bike took over a month to arrive. I understand they are busy however during this time they changed their website, removing the feature to track orders before the change.

Secondly the bike arrived with a flat rear wheel, which it's not that big of a deal however the bolts used to hold it in place are so so low quality and over tightened that the metal just bends making it unable to remove.

Upon purchasing a new inner tube and fitting it, I discovered that it wasn't a simple puncture , but the inner rim of the rear wheel was manufacturing so poorly that the rough bare metal was actually popping the inner tube.

I contacted mango bikes about this and they agreed to send me a new rear wheel, or so I thought. I waited a few weeks after the date they had claimed to ship my replacement wheel and I got an email from them saying something along the lines of " Hey, can we see some more pictures of the wheel" and they had never been bothered to ship the other one. It then took another week to come.

Fast forward to around 2 months after I ordered the bike. I am unable to replace the faulty back wheel with the new one because of the problem
With the previously mentioned bolt problem and I have had a non functioning bike for about 2 months.

And the cherry on top is that the new wheel they sent me looks to have exactly the same bare metal as the other one so it's not just a one off.

Customer service is ok when you actually speak to someone but aside from that it is a joke. It's a shame because the bikes look so nice but I wouldn't reccoment this experience to my worst enemy. Don't put yourself through this , buy somewhere else.
Hi Harry,

I'm sorry to hear that this is still an issue for you. Could you please get in touch with Customer Service so we can address this for you?

Best

Mango Bikes
Jan-Erik L
Verified Reviewer

For some reason my first review was removed from the site? Anyway, I ordered two custom 16 geared versions for my sons. The bikes arrived about two weeks late. I had to email and call several times, as there was no information about the delay. Having read some of the reviews, the two week's delay does not seem like much now!

After the bikes arrived, I immediately noticed some shortcomings. The first bike, black with an orange fork, arrived with a black fork. In addition, the logo "chasewood" was made with stickers on the cranks and they had moved and some were missing. On the other bike the logo was painted and looked much better. I had to tune the gears a bit and tighten the brakes. Mango Bikes promised to send a new fork and a crank, but so far I have not received them.

The second bike was even worse. The delivery was ok, no shortcomings, but the someone had clearly missed quality control on the bike. The gears and brakes were totally not tuned and I had to learn how to do those from the net. After about 200 km, the wheels started making clanking noise. The spokes on the wheels were loose (could be moved by hand) and the front wheel had something rotating inside the tyre. Perhaps a broken spoke end or something? Also the bottom bracket needed tightening. Mango Bikes promised to refund the costs for repairs and tuning at a bike shop.

Overall, the product and concept seem like a good thing, but major improvements should be made in quality control and customer connections. The response (if any) time is just too long. I was looking at a Point R for myself also, but now I am looking elsewhere also.
Hi Jan,

We have replied to another separate review requesting you get in touch with the customer service team. Thanks for your patience.

Mango Bikes
Verified Buyer

Ok, so lets get the slightly negative bits out of the way...

Lloyd S
Verified Buyer

Overall very happy, I had an issue with the freewheel but Mango kindly sent out a replacement part at no cost - Thanks again for that!
I would say that the bike was let down somewhat by the brake blocks which capture grit very easily, this has lead to the rim material being stripped causing chaff to build up in the blocks further exacerbating the issue -- however, I have switched to brake blocks with a different compound (KoolStop salmon) which is a simple fix. I suspect this would be a non-issue for riders keeping to only riding in the dry.

I won't fault it too much for my heavy use in rain or shine :)
Verified Reviewer

I bought a Docklands Green Point Blank some 4 months ago. It's my first single speed and I love it. Now it's set up for me I am very happy and use it for the south London commute every day. Who needs gears ! It is described by friends as a 'thing of beauty' and attracts comments such as 'funky frame mate'. I had initial problems including a defective free wheel hub (factory fault not Mango's) and a series of punctures on the inside of the tubes which was quickly corrected by additional tape supplied by the guys at Mango. Any additional cost incurred by my local bike shop was quickly reimbursed. The bike is man enough for the crazy & potholed conditions in London so go ahead and buy with confidence. I am loving my single speed although the flip flop to Fixie is deffo not for me in London but the choice is always there. Whoever answers the phone at Mango is friendly and helpful so keep up the great work and the value for money.
Mango Bikes is rated 3.86 based on 95 reviews