L&C - London & Country Mortgages Reviews

of reviewers recommend L&C - London & Country Mortgages
Read L&C - London & Country Mortgages Reviews

adam.jones@landc.co.uk

Beazer HouseLower Bristol Road

If I could put 0 stars I would.. trust me. So this seems like a good idea, the form is straight forward to fill in. Got a call from an “experienced mortgage broker” within 10 minutes who ran through the details of my form. Took all the details including height and weight. And promised a callback Monday at 4.30. Low and behold, I got a call back exactly as I was promised. Again. Great experience so far. So Tuesday, I emailed my mortgage broker. No response. I then called and proceeded with my agreement in principle application. I heard nothing from my broke & then got email confirmation yesterday from Atom Bank (suggested lender) . I received contact from my Case worker today when checking I noticed the property price and deposit amount did not match what was discussed. So I called to query this stating I did not want to speak to my mortgage advisor so I was due a callback from his supervisor Dan. My phone rang shortly after with my mortgage broker explaining he had applied to a company that doesn’t lend under a certain property value. My offer was accepted in writing on Tuesday and he was informed of the amount but still signed me up for this company. I then asked what to do and he confirmed I would need to increase my deposit amount and potentially increase my offer. WHY WOULD I SPEND MORE THAN WHAT MYSELF AND THE SELLERS ARE HAPPY WITH? I then called and spoke to someone from the switchboard who assured me I’d get a callback to discuss my complaint. An hour later, no callback. I called again spoke to another switchboard agent called Amy who I told I did not want to speak to the mortgage broker I was dealing with originally. She assured me that she would escalate this. Then phone call from Sean the mortgage broker to ask if I wanted to proceed with another lender. I told him I did not want to proceed with L&C and requested my details are removed and my application is cancelled. I also advised that this is due to his error, falsifying figures just to make some commission at my expense. Will not deal with this company or Sean Bohill ever again.
Hi Rayhannah

I'm sorry to hear this and understand Sean's supervisor has already contacted you to clarify the situation. If there is anything else we can do to help please let us know at socialmedia@landc.co.uk. Thanks , L&C
I am currently In the process of using L&C. I would avoid at all costs.

The communication is non existent. More a case of persistent mis-communication. Mortgage approved with post office. House sale agreed. Given date for completion. Mortgage is then audited by post office. Absolutely no feedback from L&C apart from, "it'll be complete in 2/3 days". 4 weeks later, still waiting and still being told the same thing.

Despite suggesting looking at alternative providers, the advisor simply said no, we expect it to be completed in 3 days. Generallly dreadful service and clearly focused on commission not best interests of the mortgage applicants!

Avoid.
We're really sorry to read this, Shane. If you can email us your case number - along with the name of your adviser to socialmedia@landc.co.uk we will chase this up for you. Thanks L&C
Wrong product
Really slow to do anything took over 3 weeks to not get us a mortgage dip, approached another broker had dip within 6hours. So after 3 weeks of no urgency and lots of stress finally got to deal with a company and a person that was actually bothered and got us what we needed. Yes they did charge a fee they were not free but they knew what they were doing and didn't waste our time. Don't waste your time here there are much better options out there. Just because something is free doesn't make it a good deal. In this case you get what you pay for or don't in L and Cs case definitely avoid.
Thanks for taking the time to review us. We're really sorry to read about your experience.
We had a terrible experience before the mortgage was even arranged! The girl that we spoke to was very friendly and seemed very helpful to begin with. We managed to get an agreement in principal very quickly, so felt confident that they would be a good company to go through. Wrong. Once we had an offer agreed on a house we wanted to move forward and get the mortgage set up the problems started. After missing several agreed times to talk on the phone and ignoring several emails she finally got in touch with a mortgage that she felt was the best option for us. However, as it was a fairly unknown bank we wanted something to compare it to, so asked to compare the rates to that of a high street lender (just felt that it may be easier to pop in branch if there was ever a problem) however she didn't take too kindly to this. Said she would go off and get some other quotes, but then it was the same old story... not calling when agreed, not responding to emails, finally got in touch one evening but didn't have any details as 'the computer systems were down' but will phone tomorrow - surprisingly that never happened! Tried calling half a dozen times, sent a few emails chasing it up but then just gave up. and went elsewhere. After about two weeks she started calling us, asking us to get in touch immediately as she is back in the office now. If this is the kind of treatment you get as a potential customer, I can only imagine the problems you will have getting any kind of contact once the commission is in the bag. I would deflnatly avoid. We ended up wasting weeks just waiting around and getting no where, and no one likes being lied to, or arranging to be free for phone calls only to be ignored.
Thanks for getting in touch, Siobhan. We're sorry to read your review... If you'd like us to investigate your experience, please do email us at socialmedia@landc.co.uk with your full name and case number. Thanks L&C
Don't waste your time with L&C! I have never written a review of a company ever in my life however we were dealt with so poorly that I feel I need to warn other potential buyers. We are first time buyers and had heard positive things about L&C. We had initially approached them prior to getting an offer accepted and had been impressed by the service; we had given them our details and were informed to get back in touch once we had an offer accepted. When we got back in touch (on a Saturday)- we were first told that our advisor/nor any of his team were available and we could start again with a new advisor or try on monday. We opted to start again with a new advisor as we were keen to get on with the application. We were told they would phone us back- They never did. Later that day I phoned back myself and was then told actually mortgage applications could not be done on the weekend anyway and to phone back on Monday. On phoning on Monday we realised that the intial advisor was actually on annual leave and were forwarded anyway to a new advisor. He then asked us for huge amounts of information which we provided. We already had an idea of the mortgage we wanted to take with HSBC and we told him this. We were then told that he needed to go away to get potential mortgage offers 'approved' before he presented them to us and he would contact us the next day. When we heard nothing by lunchtime the following day we contacted him- we were told he was still waiting for approval. This process then took another 24 hours before he presented to us his recommended mortgage offer. This was with a building society we had never heard of and we were not happy to go ahead with. On asking him why he had not presented a few possible options to us we were told this is not the policy and they only offer one quote and if you don't like it that pretty much the end of it. So after 5 days of wasting our time we left in no better position that when we started. After complaining, he did tell us he could do another search for us to try and get the HSBC offer we had previously asked about- however this would take another 24 hours and the process would have to be approved again. The entire experience from start to finish was extremely unprofessional. They do not phone back when they tell you they will. They do not inform you at the start of the process that they will only present to you ONE mortgage recommendation, which had we of known we would not have bothered. Please BE aware and don't waste your time.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, Erin. We're so sorry to hear that it was a negative one. If you would like us to investigate your experience, please do email your full name and case number to socialmedia@landc.co.uk. Thank you
Poor customer services - being calling the company for over 4 days without no luck. Get through to someone many time, I was told they will connect me to a mortgage adviser and at the end, no one is available. This being going on for over 4 days. I want to talk to mortgage adviser to go through my application I submitted online on their website. Its very disappointing. Poor services. Avoid this mortgage company.
I'm sorry to hear you've had such a disappointing experience with us and we'd really like to work to get this fixed for you. If you could please email your customer reference number or full name and post code to socialmedia@landc.co.uk I will arrange for an adviser to give you a call ASAP. Best wishes, the L&C Team.
Fantastic service! I have used L&C a few times now and I will always use them whenever I have to re-mortgage my property. Highly recommended service!
Thanks so much for your recommendation! We're really pleased to hear you're a returning customer and look forward to helping you with your mortgage needs again in the future. Best wishes, the L&C Team.
Staff were not helpful, they did not know what they were doing advisors messing up and case managers. Worse mortgage brokers in the world.

Absolutely disgusting
We're sorry to read this Andrew. If you could email us at socialmedia@landc.co.uk with your case number and postcode, we would like to investigate your experience. Thanks L&C
Awful service with unprofessional advice. Was advised to apply for a mortgage despite advising that I wouldn't meet their lending criteria. The service was also arrogant and rude; my requirements were not listened to. I have since found another fee free mortgage broker that has found be an excellent deal!
Thanks for taking the time to leave your review, Pete. We're sorry to read this. If you would like us to send this to our complaints team, please email us at socialmedia@landc.co.uk. Thank you L&C
I have a number of buy-to-let properties and made a mistake of using L&C to remortgage one of them. Their inefficiency is shocking. I am being passed back and forth between different case managers who keep asking for bits of information which they already have, which is extremely frustrating; they will not give you an update unless you ask for it; the online system is useless as all info I have put into the online case tracker they have asked for again in an email, I can go on. Overall, I have a very straightforward case of remortgage which has so far taken over two month and is still far from being completed. I have just got off the phone with them again, responding to yet another request for information, to point out that they have it - and magically the guy at the other end did find it! Very disappointed, this has been a waste of my time and I will never use L&C again.
We're really sorry to read about this experience. If you would like us to look into this on your behalf, please do email us at socialmedia@landc.co.uk. Thank you, L&C
Fantastic service from Sam and Mary. We could not have asked for anything better when buying our first home.
Hi Alexander, thanks for leaving us such positive feedback! Best wishes, L&C.
Using L&C made the process of getting a mortgage much easier and without a direct fee. It was my first time applying for a mortgage but by using L&C it made sure I didn't make any mistakes that could have prevented me being issued with a mortgage offer and I was given my first choice of mortgage. The only downside I would say is that you often get asked for the same documents by different people in the organisation which was a little frustrating.
Broker never called me back, so chased up again with no success
We're sorry to hear this. If you could email us at socialmedia@landc.co.uk with your case number, postcode and full name, we'll locate you and look into your case. Thanks L&C
After arranging our first mortgage flawlessly, we thought we'd use L&C again for the remortgage. Sadly, it's been far from flawless.

Shortly after the offer was issued, we got a letter from the solicitors stating there would be a shortfall of nearly £2k, which we would need to pay before completion. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, it's not exactly a pleasant experience receiving such correspondence.

Basically we hadn't been informed that the last payment to our existing mortgage provider would take 10 days to clear, meaning we hadn't borrowed enough on the remortgage to cover the existing one. The "advisor" seemed perfectly willing to accept how we worked out how much we'd need, and definitely didn't mention any such risks. Or offer any advice come to think of it.

So I emailed our "advisor" and "case manager" and told them of this error. I get no response. So I chase up, and the "case manager" says she has handed the issue over to the "advisor" who would sort it out. And of course we never heard from either of them ever again. Such amazing "case management". Honestly I'm not sure what these people actually do. Absolutely no idea.

Anyway, after a few emails and phone calls directly to the solicitors, I eventually managed to resolve the issue by pushing back the completion date. Would have been nice for L&C to have stepped in and actually helped, but obviously they couldn't give a crap after offers are issued.

I'm not going to bother using them again. I could forgive the initial error, but ignoring emails and basically being unresponsive when we needed help is unforgivable in my opinion. Will feel more comfortable doing the work myself in future.
We're so sorry to read this - and we'd like to look into your experience with your team. As you chose to review us anonymously, we've no record of your name, case number or postcode. Please could you email us at socialmedia@landc.co.uk and we can start our investigation. Thank you
I was trying to source a buy to let mortgage for a couple of cottages and had been wondering the most effective way of doing this. As I work a away for my job, I was considering that my partner and I could move into one of them, therefore having one on a residential mortgage and then renting out our mortgage free house in Kent. However, on asking for advice from Perry, he immediately seemed to jump to the conclusion that I wanted to commit mortgage fraud, and when I told him my father lived next door, he grew even more unwilling to help. I had spoken to him a couple of times on the phone, prior to this, and he came across as unhelpful and unfriendly. I wished for him to come back with some potential figures from lenders and an agreement in principal, but he told me no lender would do this until the freehold of the combined cottages had been split. How is it that I have managed to obtain an agreement with a different lender then? Perry's attitude was appalling and he made me feel like a common criminal when all I was doing was asking for his advice. I know you must be a very busy and successful company who doesn't need my business, but I work in a customer care roll for a big corporate company, and I would never treat my customers in this manner. If I did, I wouldn't keep my job. I would be glad for some feedback from yourselves. I am still waiting for a vendor decision on the cottages, as he is trying them on the open market at a higher price first. If he doesn't sell, then he may accept my offer. I have an agreement in principal with another company but would still consider a more competitive quote from yourselves. Perry suggested that I look elsewhere...I clearly don't want to deal with him again. I look forward to your response.

Fiona Griffiths
We are first time buyers and needed help navigating our first purchase. I called L&C to get an idea of what we needed to provide and I was bombarded with questions about our income/expenses/deposit without any official numbers in front of me which i explained several times. I also explained I was just calling to find out how to get the ball rolling...I felt rushed through and we were offered a mortgage in principle that night. We worked with the figures suggested and made an offer on a house which was accepted. Following up with the underwriting our case worker was very impatient, he didn't allow me time to ask questions and personally made me feel like we were unlikely to get a mortgage (he was very negative & not encouraging at all). We felt totally out of control but pushed on with L&C because we feared losing out on the property. Our broker told us he would only be able to provide us with one quote so we have to decide if we wanted a 2, 3 or 5 yr fixed without seeing any figures. He also only gave us one quote from Skipton (who have very good customer services btw) so we felt like it was a 'take it or leave it' situation. I honestly do not feel like the broker had our best interests at heart nor do I think we got the best deals/rates. The application was delayed because the advisors did not tell us we needed our gift letters on Skipton's official forms (which you can download straight from their website)...an avoidable delay!

Following on from the application, communication was terrible. Our second case worker only spoke to us briefly and would not return emails/calls for over a week. The main contacts we had were sales calls for us to purchase life insurance & home insurance. I also had an issue with the sales tactics....'I hate to think what you will do (my name) if anything should happen to (partners name)'...it was disgusting.

We actually found out our mortgage offer had been accepted directly from a letter from Skipton with L&C phoning me three days later to let us know the same news.

We will not be recommending L&C to anyone and I will be making sure this review is seen on other sites too. However I cannot fault Skipton or Premier Property Lawyers who have been wonderful and a huge relief to work with after the customer services of London & Country.
We're sorry to hear this Faye and we would like to investigate this experience. Please can you send us your details (including your full name and postcode) to socialmedia@landc.co.uk? Thank you and our apologies again for this experience, L&C
Hard selling of insurance products
Whats going on. They try to sell you their other products and will not give you any interest rates until you havr made an offer on a house. Told to use the internet to find the rates. Wasted an hour on the phone to get this info. How do we know what toboffer on a house if you wont give the interest rates and monthly payments! Ridiculous!!
We're sorry to hear that you were not given an indication of typical repayments Lee. We've spoken to your adviser and their supervisor who will be in touch this afternoon to rectify this. Thank you for letting us know and giving us the chance to read your feedback. L&C
Seen as though my first review has been deleted & ive now received a letter trying to excuse L&Cs poor customer service & effort of a mortgage application, i'll write another one.
First of all we where passed onto 3 different people in the space of 9 weeks. Non of which would EVER answer their phones & only 1 of them I actually spoke to directly.
We where constantly chasing them trying to find out where our application was at & what was going on.
When we decided to take matters into our own hands & we called the lendsers direct they told us that L&C hadn't been in touch with them for 3 weeks. When we told our mortgage broker that the lender had told us this, he laughed down the phone.
Rude email replies when asked what is taking so long, now after telling them to no longer contact us, we are still getting letters trough the door excusing their poor service.
Leave us ALONE!
Thanks for taking the time to send your review, Holli. It would appear that your original review was moderated, as it specifically named members of staff. Our compliance team has been looking into your case, after receiving your complaint. As you wished, we have contacted you following our investigation and all replies have now been sent. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve been unhappy with the service.
L&C - London & Country Mortgages is rated 4.66 based on 1,435 reviews