The Stone and Garden Company Reviews

89% of reviewers recommend The Stone and Garden Company
Jonathan Sanderson
"Great customer service. However disappointed to learn delivery service required “solid ground” for a gravel driveway delivery. I can’t think of many places that put gravel on a solid ground. Although I am happy with the product delivered it was not as red as the picture on the website made out."
Michael Maguire
"Stone & Garden helped me complete my landscaping project. We were going on holiday to Malta when I ordered the heavy load, but S&GC made the delivery at my requested date/time on our return."
"Very pleased. Communication over the phone was clear. Good value for money. Delivery man was punctual and very friendly and helpful."
"Easy company to deal with and make online purchase but don't be fooled when it comes to delivery the worst I have ever had driver could not even get my delivery of the vehicle x6 1 ton bags on pallets double stacked and a pump truch. Was never going to work !!! Ended up splitting the bags and shoveling it off lose"
"Had the gravel delivered two bulk bags approx 850kg per bulk bag and only had a maximum of 600kg! Turn up on two different days rip off never again will I buy from this company"
Hello Steve,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review. Please accept our apology for the delay with your delivery, when you brought this to our attention on the 30th November that you had only received one bag we called the external haulier straight away and was told your local depot had not received the second bag but it was in transit and they would deliver to you on the 1st December. The second bag was then delivered on 1st December, we are working closely with the external haulier to ensure this does not happen in the future but again please accept our apology for any inconvenience this may have caused. In respect to your comment regarding the weight of material you received, we use oversized bags, they are never filled right up to the top of the bag so we can allow manoeuvrability for the haulier and customer. Our bags are mechanically filled and weighed, all bulk bags we send out are weighed to 850kgs, I have also confirmed with the external haulier the total weight of both bags was 1700kgs – 850kg each.

Kind regards
The Stone and Garden Company
"I had 40mm plumb slate They tell me in the small print it says it contains some dust. I would estimate the bulk bag container 40 if not more percentages of anything but 40 mm stone This is by no means anything like the sample on the Webb sit it is almost quarry waste Did not want to give any star rating but this review will not send without"
Hello Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. You called the office and told us there was a percentage of the bag that was small chippings, it was explained to you that there can be dust content due to conditions, you told us you would send a photo over which was welcomed so we could investigate. Upon receiving the photo of your bag we agreed this was not to the standard we set for our material and we immediately offered to collect this bag and send a new one out or refund for the percentage of smaller chips in the bag. We received a reply from you a few days later to say you would like another bag sending out which is currently in transit for the date agreed. We hope you will be happy with the new bag sent and would like to apologise again for the inconvenience this has caused.

Kind Regards,
The Stone and Garden Company.
"Absolutely diabolical, sent the wrong thing then tried to charge me £360 for a return journey"
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, every review is crucial for us to better the service and company. I have looked in to your comments, we sent a confirmation email to you the day your order was placed – 9th October, we also sent a dispatch email when your goods were dispatched on the 10th October and both contain details of the product purchased. When speaking with the management team about this complaint you informed us you did not check these emails and realised it was the wrong product when delivery was attempted on 10th October. As delivery was attempted the external hauliers charge us to return, we have to pass this charge onto the customer.
The Stone and Garden Company
"Very bad won’t be using again"
Every review is crucial for The Stone and Garden Company in order for us to better and improve on our company. We’d like to thank you for taking the time to reflect on our service and give us feedback.

The Stone and Garden Company
"Poor delivery service. They delivered the order without calling me to ask where to unload and that cause a lot trouble! That's not all.... when I rang for solution they said will call the driver to come back but no one turn up and even no one call to explain. Sorry but I won't use your services any more"
"Ordered a sample of some stone and to this day it still hasn’t arrived. Very poor Would not recommend to anyone"
"The bag of gravel was dropped right in the middle of my entrance right at the road edge! We couldn't get in the drive so had to park at road until my friend had to use his landrover and shift gravel with his bumper out of the way!"
"I ordered two samples of Scottish pebbles None have arrived within the 5 days specified. I wanted to compare your stones with Gravelmaster. Gravelmaster delivered their sample the next day. Sadly I have nothing to compare their sample with"
"Ordered 4 samples. 2 arrived. No replies to my emails. Lovely slate samples though."
"We purchased a bulk bag of 'black ice' containing 2 different coloured stones, black basalt and blue ice. We have previously used this product, although from a different supplier, to cover our front garden and the product from the Stone and Garden Company is only vaguely similar. You would think that 2 different stone types mean a 50/50 mix, which is certainly what our 3 previous bulk bags have been, but the product from Stone and Garden Company contains a majority of black basalt so looks nothing near to what we have previously used. When the delivery came I initially sent it back as it looked like a whole bag of black basalt. I had to wait several days for the pictures to be sent showing that it was indeed 'black ice'. This caused me having to pay a redelivery charge of £18 for a product that I am not completely satisfied with. We have had a small area done now for a month and a half, as well as the open bag being left on our driveway but despite all the rain that we have had ,the 'dust' that the company said was the cause of it looking the way it did has remained. Please see the photos that accompany this review; the first one is a screen grab from their website, the second is the bulk bag not long after it had rained and the third photo is the small area we have done showing the older product to the front of the photo and the product from the Stone and Garden Company in the background. THINK TWICE BEFORE ORDERING BLACK ICE FROM THIS COMPANY."
"Buyer Beware! I should have known better as the price was at least 30% cheaper for Moonstone than local supplies - and that is two pallets coming from Yorkshire to Gloucestershire - which actually costs quite a lot. OK they are covered by explaining that there are natural variances and by offering samples however this was just plain rubbish with lots of sharp slivers, broken stones and foreign aggregates and hardly any white pebbles. Nothing like Moonstone that is generally available. Pay the extra and see what you are buying."
"Having seen your advert on line , we liked the look of the plum slate. I ordered a bulk bag of 40mm. I was not happy to receive another colour especially as I had arranged help to wash and spread it. Having sent a picture of product sent to me , your office staff agreed and arrangements were made for the return and a new batch of "plum" sent. I received the new batch last Friday and unbelievably it is not plum either. As I can't wait any longer I am using this load when I have got help on hand. I will be emailing pics of this load as well and will expect some recompense. Needless to say I will not be using you're company again."
"The driver destroyed a grass verge."
"Waited in all day for delivery which did not turn up. I had to phone the haulage company myself to be told that the driver had run out of driving hours. Promised the next day delivery between 11 and 1 and had to wait until 2.15"
Good afternoon

Thank you for your feedback. All feedback is important to us and is taken on board to make our service a better service. Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. I have spoken to our delivery company and we are working hard alongside each other to reduce the risk of this happen in the future.

The Stone and Garden Company
"The slate I purchased was just what I wanted, however your delivery leaves a lot to be desired. as the primary supplier the responsibility is yours to ensure I get my goods on the specified delivery day. I wasted a complete day waiting for the carrier to deliver my slate, only the be told it was arriving between 6.30 and 7.00 pm that day. It didn't arrive of course. Nobody contacted me the next day and without warning a carrier arrived with my slate. The driver knew nothing about the previous days saga. What a way to run a company, you and the carriers are absolutely useless and I wasted a complete day at your expense. I have asked for some reimbursement but that has been typically ignored. A.Greenway"
Hi Mr Greenway,

The Stone and Garden Company
"Where to start? What a appalling company. 5 star review for taking our money 1 raspberry for service. Initially refused to deliver to the drive despite drop kerb and easy access. Then failed to deliver the correct material. Despite phone calls no initial response, I had to phone three times before I could speak to a manager. Then a "slopey shoulder"response. No responsibility taken for the behaviour of the delivery man because he was a contractor. Denial that in incorrect delivery could be possible because "it's all computerised" Eventual recognise photographic evidence of their error but refuse to replace the goods unless the goods delivered in error were replaced on their pallet. I am 67 and do not consider this a reasonable request. No apologies, no compensation and I have paid for goods I do not want and did not order. A company characterised by appalling customer service, weak and arrogant management and an inability to undertake the simplest logistical task. A commercial joke."
Mr Wakefield
Thank you for your comments. As a company we encourage all our customers to write reviews in order for us to develop all areas of our business. Obviously upon reading your review we would like to take the opportunity to ensure you we have taken every step to rectify any issues which have arisen. Firstly the delivery was not refused as you have stated and was completed and signed for on the date of delivery you requested, all be it with a little help as you wanted the material placed on the drive way which is not part of the delivery terms. Obviously upon inspection you had noticed that the incorrect material was delivered, you then took the material out of the packaging and then moved it else where ?. Then contacted our head office and proceeded to use foul and abusive language to one of our advisers and was told on numerous occasions if you continued using abusive language the call would be terminated.
One of our managers requested photo images to ensure we could proceed with collecting the material and replacing with the material you actually ordered which is part of our company policy. Upon receiving the images our manager then called you again immediately to arrange delivery and collection at a time which was convenient to yourself, however you was not willing to return the goods in the condition they were delivered i.e. on the pallet and declined for us to arrange the swap.
We are here to address any of our customers issues and do not as you say "slopey shoulder" any responsibilities. As discussed on numerous occasions this can be simply rectified by us collecting the material and re-delivering the correct material at no cost to yourself. If you would like to proceed please call our offices and we will gladly assist.
"I was expecting a whole day delivery so 8am-5pm - very cold (freezing conditions) no delivery but instead around 4pm very short information that a company lorry was broken??? No excuses no any compensation - the worst service I've ever experienced - very unprofessional customer service Highly non recommended for all my customers and for other traders"
Thank you for your comments. As a company we encourage all our customers to write reviews in order for us to develop all areas of our business. Obviously upon reading your review we would like to take the opportunity to ensure you we have taken every step to rectify any issues which have arisen. Obviously as you had stated you had booked an 8-5 economy 2 to 3 day service, however unfortunately en-route to delivery the vehicle broke down, one of our advisers contacted you immediately to let you know there had been an issue with the vehicle and to apologize for any inconvenience caused and re-arrange delivery at a time which was convenient to yourself. We do endeavor to deliver at a selected time however certain instances can arise which are out of our control. The material was arranged for delivery the next day and completed as you requested. We would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for you further orders which you then placed and had delivered without issue.
"I placed an order with Stone & Garden Company for goods totalling over £300.00. Soon after placing my order, I realised I would not need one item (polar white stones) and called them to ask if it were possible to cancel this part. Unfortunately, I was told the shipment had already gone and it was too late. Fortunately, I have a large garden and decided I could easily adjust the design and use them anyway. When my order arrived, the pebbles I received were covered in mud, the ton of bark I received was in one jumbo bag and nowhere near the weight advertised at the time and it was evident that the polar white stones I received were substandard grey ones. I contacted them almost immediately and asked to return the polar white stones. AND THE SAGA BEGINS. I and was asked to send photos and for comparison I sent a photo of a sample of the existing 2 tons of polar white stones I had purchased online from Decorative Aggregates and the individual sacks I had purchased locally from B&M and B&Q alongside a sample of their stones. I also discussed the lack of bark and the dirty pebbles; the former they agreed to collect from me and the latter, I agreed to keep. When I called regarding the photograph of the polar white stones, I was informed the colour of stones differed between quarries which surprised me as I had already purchased from 3 different sources and all of them were white except these. I was told that irrespective, I would have to pay another £50 + VAT (on top of the £119 already paid for the inferior product they sent me) before they would collect them. I tried to negotiate with them offering to pay £25 towards the cost of collection but they would not budge, neither would they pick them up alongside the bark. A third party contacted the company on my behalf and a representative of Stone & Garden Company claimed I had put the stones down and lifted them back up which made them grey. A great trick for me to achieve in less than an hour especially as I am disabled!!! Obviously, I would never order from this company again; neither would I advise anyone else to do so. Thank goodness I paid on my credit card and received a full refund."
"Ordered golden stones after sending multiple photos of existing driveway stones. They sent grey stones. Asked for a return and was told to pay another £50 on top of the £100 of the wrong product they sent to me. Avoid like the plague. Awful service and terrible people."
Thank you for taking the time to place a review. At the time of ordering a significant amount of care and time was spent in trying to ensure that the product was suitable. We spent time to explain that the gravel shown on the images you sent to us of your existing material was potentially from a different quarry to our source and that due to the natural quarrying processes there would be some variation in colour/size. After hesitation from yourself, we strongly suggested that you ordered a sample of our gravel so you could have some assurances and peace of mind that this would be the correct item to purchase. You decided not to order the sample and went ahead with the order of the Golden Gravel which is what was sent to you, and certainly not the 'grey stones' you mentioned above. In our telephone call we did state that you could return the gravel to us at your expense (as stated in our terms and conditions), or we could arrange a collection at a fee of £50 plus VAT.
The Stone and Garden Company is rated 4.56 based on 601 reviews