The TEFL Org Reviews

of reviewers recommend The TEFL Org
Read The TEFL Org Reviews

About The TEFL Org:

Established in 2008, The TEFL Org is the UK's most experienced and accredited TEFL course provider offering classroom, online & combined TEFL courses.

info@tefl.org

The TEFL Org 5 star review on 24th May 2021
Bastian B
The TEFL Org 5 star review on 6th March 2021
Doaa B
Hey Alan, I haven't done much so far (I am in the middle of grammar module), but it is not as challenging as I thought it would be. Some exercises are very easy and I don't feel like I have learnt a lot of new things. The exercise where you have to choose between "was" and "were" according to subject should be for students not for the feature teachers... And I am pretty sure every person who wants to be an English teacher can distinguish between present and past tenses so I really do not understand what is the point of this kind of exercises. I hope it's going to get better in the next modules.
I just hope this program can get me work after I graduate
There were a lot of misspellings on your courses. It would be a good idea to go over your courses one by one to make sure that all words are spelled correctly. It would surely give a more professional vibe(:
Online English teaching practicum course: a good experience overall, I'd be more careful to read the descriptions of the course in the future though (I was expecting a more advanced course), we had a nice tutor, our goals were realistic and the course very practical. We got relevant feedback during the course, but since it was only face to face the feedback was all positive, I was a bit disappointed not to have feedback on areas to work on I'm afraid. But again, the rest was worth the time and the money, just be sure to read the description!
There’s a lot of information to take in, and if you don’t take notes it’s far too hard to remember everything that is being “thrown” at you. The videos are far too staged (the explanation ones), and honestly I feel like I’m being taught GCSE English again. The classroom videos are far more interesting to watch because they are teaching the student how to teach English, the other ones feel as if I am sitting in an English classroom all over again.
The explanations and quizzes are helpful and aid the learning of the content. I find that the videos of the examples of teaching are poor and I wouldn’t use these teaching methods with students.
I found the courses very easy to navigate. One thing I found extremely difficult was communication with the tutor. I found it extremely difficult when I was confused with a question and couldn’t find anything relatable on the forum. Communication is key and I really think you need to work on this between student and tutor. I became very upset and frustrated especially when I was nearing the end of my 7 day add on and thought I may run out of time and need to buy more due to the tutor not being clear.
It is a very informative course. However, four weeks is not enough, especially if you don't want to extend the course. Furthermore, by the time I received the recommended grammar books for the handbook, I was three weeks into the course.
I am still in the grammar course which can naturally get a bit boring as i have to go through the whole basic stuff which i might already know. Other than that I do have some teaching experience. But I am still motivated to complete the course and get certified.
Although I do enjoy the course and feel it performs as hoped, it has the very annoying problem of constantly going back to the course overview screen when I click to the next page. This tends to be rather disruptive to the flow of using the site and the learning experience in general. I'd also suggest putting a little more emphasis on 'the schwa sound' perhaps. There was next to no explanation given on this. Not a real big problem as I simply googled it of course.
The program is very outdated or simply poor quality in video. Maybe it has to do that my primary job is in Film but it really turns me away from watching any videos. It seems like it was recorded in 2002. I also think there are unnecessary amount of modules. One module might just be a 30 second video saying what we will be discussing. That can be one sentence in the larger portion.
Some quiz questions in Grammar seem unnecessary. Too simple, repetitive, and perfunctory. I mean, for example, practicing present continuous form is necessary for actual ESL beginner students but not for TEFL students. What's crucial is when to use the form as opposed to other tenses, right? I suggest that you review the quiz questions, cut them off or replace them with more meaningful exercises. Thank you.
Hello Hyojung, Thank you for taking the time to review our course. I'll pass your feedback on to our academic team which will help develop future courses. Kind regards, Alan, TEFL adviser
Hi, I have generally appreciated most of the modules on teaching. However, I think the grammar course is tedious and treats you as if you are the esl student. Perhaps that's the point, but it feels infantilizing and drab pretty much the whole time. Second, you should definitely have one of your people go through the whole course because it's littered with grammatical and spelling errors. This is not a particularly good look for an english teaching program.
It's an easy course to navigate, however I feel some of the quizzes are too easy to just get the right answer even without understanding.
I like Kelsey - she's the best part of the course (I'm only on the grammar portion so far). I don't understand why some of the videos have the other instructor (the male) appear intermittently. The half hour video sessions are tedious to watch and not helpful. I also think the video quality is sub-standard (bad micing and low resolution). I'd review all content to make sure it flows a little better and in a few years redo the entire course with better production to make the experience more seamless. Watch the LinkedIn Learning videos for inspiration. That's the kind of quality production and content TEFL is capable of and needs to be. I do like the course and am looking forward to completing it. Thank your for your time.
Reviewers/tutors need to be more aware of the course work questions when marking a written assignment. I should not have to correct and resubmit an assignment because my assignment is “missing” a specific part of the lesson, that was never listed in the original question/rules of the assignment. Also, a reviewer/tutor needs to become more aware of the differences between “there”, “their”, and “they’re”, when submitted a remark on my assignment.
The course is good enough however I find my self getting bored very quickly while watching the videos. Maybe this is because I am already training to be a teacher so a lot of what is being taught is second nature to me. One thing that I am finding frustrating is that all sample lessons are videos of a really advanced class. There is no variation in levels or abilities. I found it strange that i was expected to do a lesson plan for elementary lesson in which students have only a few words when all sample videos of are students who can hold a conversation.
The questions of the Assignments are poorly structured and to be honest having Assignment with similar questions ie PPP etc really complicate the situation.
Course was harder than I anticipated. The tutor assistant was in no way helpful.. Too few examples re the assignments. I would not recommend.
I would rather give it a score of approximately 65%-70%, but the five-star rating system doesn't allow that. (It would approximately be 3.25/5 to 3.5/5.) There is some good stuff to be had with TEFL.org indeed. Videos are generally clear, texts and charts are generally clear, tutors respond quickly regarding your written assignments, chat employees respond quickly, an employee responded quickly to an e-mail, the prices don't seem very bad, etc. But sometimes the videos and texts could use some improvement: sometimes there were errors or vagueness. Sometimes there were nasty trick questions or vague questions on tests. Sometimes information was unnecessarily repeated. Sometimes there could have been much better coherence and progression of information. Sometimes there was no response from the company when asking a question. I wish the resulting TEFL certificate would look better: the way it looks now, it kind of looks cheap. Yes, I am somewhat critical, but have good intent and wish to be fair and truthful. I would still recommend TEFL.org, because they give you very good ideas regarding metholodogy in different circumstances with pretty clear and pretty good content. It's just that, if you are critical/serious about things, you might spot errors or missed opportunities. Overall it's still worth it, if you want to get a TEFL certificate and get some good ideas. You must of course put as much into it as possible, and try to immerse yourself in their methods and so forth. That together with their course should work just fine. I would say, "Go, and take their TEFL course."
The TEFL Org is rated 4.5 based on 5,264 reviews