FreeAgent Reviews

91% of reviewers recommend FreeAgent

How would you rate FreeAgent?

Nigel Harrison
Unverified Reviewer
"Made a mess of trying to correct a problem of my making on my account. Having tried to correct the error I made the situation worse and my account was totally messed up. After contacting support, Gary Shand gave me a list of operations to perform and this put all my problems with the account right. Many Thanks Gary. Regards Nigel Harrison"
Thanks, Nigel! I've shared your lovely review with Gary and the rest of the team.
"Excellent software with a really good support team who respond to queries very promptly."
Reyiadh Mahbub
Verified Buyer
"Providing excellent services."
"I am an accountant for a client who uses FreeAgent. I am unbelievably appalled that I cannot add new balance sheet accounts or accounts with a numbers greater than 399 (I think it was). Additionally the nomenclature is peculiar. Categories for the word accounts. for instance. What 's wrong with the word account. Navigating around the site I have found/find that nothing is very obvious/clear.. Although I know they have very many clients I would absolutely NEVER EVER recommend this programme to anyone. I know that sounds harsh but you stated that you want to know how I feel, so I've told you. Additionally the lack of telephone support is, in my view, inexcusable. Some of us out here like to actually speak to a person rather than endless emails. Emails are so impersonal. I am tempted to say "I hope this helps" but I fear it will just be dismissed. Such is life. Please feel free to telephone me on 01785 819677."
Hi, we're very sorry to hear you're so unsatisfied. One of my colleagues at FreeAgent will give you a call tomorrow to discuss these issues with you.
"Great service, extremely helpful 🤗"
That's great to hear - thanks Jeffrey.
"Having spent a number of years contracting and doing my books with accountants using manual systems, I am very impressed by how much easier FreeAgent is to use, and now have no problem keeping all my books regularly up to date. Very impressive."
Thank you Tim!
"Been using for 1 year, at it's core it works and provides a nice alternative to keeping your data in a spreadsheet and the online integration with self assessment is nice; but there are 3 huge flaws I am struggling to get over and looking to alternatives. 1) No ability to download or export your invoices OR expenses. This is criminal, it's sensible to have an offline copy of these vital documents (even FreeAgent agrees) but there is no way to do this. All the invoicing & cloud accounting packages I have tested have this basic ability but FreeAgent is the only one who can't (and won't) add this feature despite it being requested on the support forums since 2012 *see note 3. 2) Design. The branding and the invoicing are not very nice. Send a client an invoice with online payment and you get a massive "JOIN FREEAGENT" logo plastered all over it, which is a bit unprofessional and I have had raised eyebrows. Worse still, many things have their mascot - a cartoon cat in a suit and tie - everywhere. 3) Feels like development stopped 5 years ago. If you read the support forums there are many basic features people have asked for and it's apparent that people have been asking for the same things since 2012 and nothing ever seem to get done. On the positive side: 1) Easy to use, the app works well for creating expenses on the fly 2) Integrates with Stripe / Paypal / Bank's well 3) Provides a few more tools than invoicing services like FreshBooks 4) Very good customer support. 5) UK based, so better geared for UK tax system."
Thanks for your feedback and sorry you’ve been frustrated with FreeAgent. I just wanted to touch on a couple of the points you’ve raised.

You can currently export invoice and expense data in .xls format. We are working on improving this feature over the next couple of months, including export of receipts and attachments.

We recognise that we’ve not had loads of product releases this year, mainly because we’ve been focussing on some larger pieces of functionality which will be released soon. In the last few months we’ve also redoubled our efforts on addressing smaller feature requests and improvements, and I’m confident you’ll see these soon.

Roan
Product Director
"Just does what it needs to do"
Robbie Mills
Verified Reviewer
"To start with, the software is clear and straight forward. Of course, there is a learning curve as with any new programme but it went smoothly for me. Secondly, the staff at FreeAgent are excellent, wether it's the receptionist on the end of the phone or an advisor - they are friendly, polite and really know their stuff. I'm in my fifth month and have spoken to several advisors multiple times to the point where some of them now know me (!) and they always guide me to a solution and are endlessly patient with my idiotic questions! They are busy people and occasionally the receptionist will arrange for an advisor to call back but it's always very prompt and they make themselves available as soon as possible."
Sarah Cox, Freelance Web Developer
Verified Reviewer
"FreeAgent is marvellous and I REALLY regret not going though with signing up last year -- or the year before -- OR the year before that! I've trialled it and a couple of other similar services over the past few years, always right around the time I do my self-assessment tax return. Then, every year, right after I've filed my return at the eleventh hour using calculations I've made during an all-day-and-nighter with a spreadsheet, I've gone back to doing nothing. After evaluating (again!) the same three services this year, I've taken the plunge with FreeAgent and I'm already almost ready for April! Not only that, I've discovered that I've almost certainly overpaid my taxes in previous years, due to horribly incomplete accounting of my outgoings. Never again, thanks to FreeAgent. Best business decision I've made in years!"
Terry Acker
Verified Buyer
"The software is very functional and user friendly The help section is very well done and found the answer to my questions quickly"
Alberto, Edgeryders
Verified Reviewer
"FreeAgent is the right mix of user friendly and sophisticated. We are hugely impressed. We have been using it for three years now, and have used both the UK and the Global versions. The UK one has more functions, but even the Global one is perfectly adequate for a small – but global and data driven – business."
Piers Gibbon Ltd
Verified Reviewer
"We looked at pretty much all the online accounting packages before choosing FreeAgent...and I am really glad we did. The software just works - I run a company providing voiceover services worldwide (piersgibbon.com). Most importantly FreeAgent have real accountants on the end of the helpline to sort out your issues. I have gone from paying a bookkeeper every painful VAT quarter...to doing it all myself. Excellent product, excellent company."
"It is easy to use."
"Without question the best decision I made for my business. Makes accounting enjoyable! Easy to use, a pleasure to use in fact, plus wonderful support. For anyone who asks my advice about what they need to do when starting a small business, my first response is to use FreeAgent!"
"I would like the webinars to be longer. Not enough on banking and reconciling the bank"
Hi Liz, thanks for the feedback. Can I just check with webinars you're referring to? And would you like banking as a webinar topic?
"FreeAgent is a good program to work with, but has some failings.I think FreeAgent is very good on helpline, and always try to achieve a resolution to the issue. I think the program could be great with some minor improvements that the company are aware of but don’t seem to be in great hurry to implement."
"FreeAgent simplifies sending out invoices, keeping track of work, expenses, and which invoices have been paid or need chasing. Support is prompt and clear - vital to a novice with no accountancy training!"
"prompt service"
"The software is excellent and so easy to use and the support is the best I've seen, cant ask for more really. Highly Recommended"
FreeAgent is rated 4.62 based on 188 reviews