FreeAgent Reviews

91% of reviewers recommend FreeAgent

How would you rate FreeAgent?

"I'm a small retailer, and picked up on FreeAgent only because NatWest offered it for free. Wow, was I lucky! Although it is not really built for retail (none of these things are) the solutions to problems I'd had with other software were really quite obvious, the support was first class and I was up and running live, with six months history loaded up, in only eight days. While working full time, plus while concurrently trialling other software, plus while actually having a life. That contrasts *very* sharply with the trial I had until then been running with some geezers called Q***k**ks for about three months and with no end in sight. To be fair, I haven't always agreed with the advice offered by your support, and have sometimes done my own contrary thing. But the end result is a system that works for me and puts all the numbers in the right places. And it is all much easier than I had ever thought possible. Since then, it's taken a bit of time to tweak my regular routines to fit with Freeagent, to work out where and how to best check for errors, and I've fallen back on using the API to deal with my six years of sales history (which I recognise isn't for everybody, but is really easy to use - happy to share code if it is of any use). But, yeah, it is more fun than any accounting system deserves to be, and definitely more fast, fun and useful than the Q***k***k* thing.. Top marks. Even topper marks if you can find a decent way of putting in historical fixed assets, which is the only bugbear I got left. Oh, and multiline bills - I only get one a month, but it irritates me!"
"Very intuitive software, that makes accounting fairly easy. The automatic bank feed is a great feature. Customer service is very friendly and helpful."
"Response helped me resolve my query but it wast the "clever" solution I had hoped for. More of a manual edit."
Hi there,

We appreciate you sharing your review of FreeAgent. We're always working hard to improve our customers' experience, so if there's any additional feedback you'd like to give us, please let us know!

The FreeAgent Team
"Freeagent meets our company needs at a price that works for us."
"I am the treasurer of a couple of charities, one being a small choir. We use Free Agent for managing the finances of both charities and I find it clear, easy to use and versatile. I sometimes have to adapt something that is there for a business and change it slightly to accomodate our needs (monthly subscriptions, expenses for concerts we are putting on, and lots of cash instead of cheques and bank transactions) but i can usually find a way to adapt it and the support team are always very helpful indeed."
"I like FreeAgent a lot. It's easy to use and most functionality is designed for a business owner rather that an accountant. The only weaknesses are i) in some of the basic 'error correcting' functions that some alternatives provide - for example an 'Undo' and an Audit Trail, and ii) in some more mature functions like expenses sheets. They are developing Year End reporting for HMRC and CoHse which will be a big advantage. Customer support is generally excellent. They could do with creating a few more 'manuals' to consolidate all the information on the website."
"When I started using FreeAgent I found it really great and useful, until it came time to file my taxes, then I discovered the limitations of FreeAgent. Not only was I unable to manage that from the website, but the categories they had used didn't match to the categories I was asked to fill in on the Government online tool, which made the process much longer and more painful than it needed to be. Additionally when I need to close payroll this was yet again a feature they did not support. So I am afraid it hasn't lived up to my expectations and I'll be looking for a different tool for the future."
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that FreeAgent didn't live up to your expectations and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We've passed it along to our dedicated product team to review in more detail. We are always developing the FreeAgent software to support different scenarios for customers – which is especially relevant right now as we’re building towards Making Tax Digital – so your feedback is extremely valuable to us. If you have any additional context or details you'd like to share, please contact our support team at support@freeagent.com and they can pass it along to our product team.

The FreeAgent Team
"I have spent literally years trying to find the right accounting app for me, as a freelancer. At this point, I've used about all of them. I tried QB Freelancer in it's first year and it had far too many bugs. I used Harvest but it didn't have all the features I needed. I tried Freshbooks but it just didn't work and it lacked features. These other platforms all want to just be an expensive cog with a million addons or are just too case-specific or just plain buggy. Frustrated to the point of just using good ol' excel sheets, I found FreeAgent. These guys do just about everything perfectly. It honestly is hard to express that. They had a slightly older UI when I started, but they're already working on a new one (I'm in the Beta, and it's awesome). I have my invoicing, time tracking, expense tracking, and all the important stuff right in front of me. I have the usual big-options for getting paid, paypal & stripe, plus banking details for check-payment on the invoice. It will automatically match bank transactions to payments where possible. You can link 1 huge payment to multiple separate invoices (and it keeps track to make sure you don't get underpaid). There is multi-user support, so I can have employees/contractors work within my business to track their working hours and manage invoicing smoothly and efficiently. I can rebill expenses, with markup to clients. There's reports, which I use all the time to get a quick glance at what the next round of invoices should look like. I can get account statuses/summaries for any delinquent clients, and it is just amazing. No other platform I've worked with had all of these features. None of them were this affordable. And none of them were working this hard on improving their product."
"I felt heard. The first person I spoke to found the specialist to solve my problem but also stayed in touch. So I didn't feel as if I was being passed around. It was a seemless, simple & pleasant experience!"
"FreeAgent has really helped me keep track of everything. However, I would love to be able to do the following: - Upload multiple files simultaneously when attaching files to Invoices. - Ability to delete files automatically in single-use scenarios (Receipts for Invoice etc.) - Connect Expenses to my Bank Accounts - Ability to connect Expenses stated on an Invoice to my Expenses in general"
"This software is easy to use, even for a novice like myself. The customer service is excellent, the staff are friendly and informative. Great software and amazing customer service!"
"Excellent software and even better customer service"
"Excellent online service that can not be faulted."
"So simple and easy to use!"
"Really good accountancy software that enables me to run my business faultlessly. App is good however a few bits still missing."
"It works as stated, it helps me run my business.. a great program."
"Great app, bit slow with feature releases"
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear you feel like we’re slow to release new features. You can find all of our latest releases on our product timeline. We’ve got a number of new features on the horizon, which you can see in our depot so keep an eye out for these in the near future: https://www.freeagent.com/depot/

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to improve your experience!

The FreeAgent Team
"Very good system, easy to use. But limited in the current globalized world. Two examples: - You dont allow multicurrency bills, but most of our trading in international not only for clients but for providers, freelancers etc. most of them don't bill in pounds, which creates a lot of hurdles to add their bills. - Related to that, we have revolut multi-currency accounts. While their integration is super good, I cannot pay an euro bill with my euro account and settle automatically, as you don't allow it as the bill is not in euros."
Hi Gorka,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and understand your frustrations. We fully appreciate the value in adding multi-currency bills and handling those better in FreeAgent. I’m afraid these improvements aren’t on our current roadmap, but I’ve passed them along on to our Product team to consider. If there's anything else we can do to help improve your experience, please let me know!

The FreeAgent Team
"It works well, but updating or changing information on the Freeagent App is very limited...you can't even click when an Invoice has been paid... it could do with lots more basic editing features.. The biggest thing that annoys me is the 3rd Party bank feed link, which always seems to have issues and I loose accounting data periods that then have to be manually input! I'm an HSBC customer...."
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it. We've also shared your feedback and suggestions with our Product Team to review. We appreciate your frustration with bank feeds, and please rest assured that the team is working to improve that experience for our customers. If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know!

Thanks again,
The FreeAgent Team
"The best thing about Freeagent is the tax return and the simple interface. The integrations and API could be a lot better to allow more automation with other apps and processes - opening this up for many more triggers and actions for tools such as Zapier would massively increase my satisfaction with the product. Also on the app, specific functionality and improvement to the UI when sending invoices would help as I am never sure if when I send an invoice in the future has sent or scheduled. I'd really like to be able to link expenses and hours to invoices on the app. I'd also like a better way of linking photos of receipt items that take sometimes up to 5 days to show on the bank statement Being able to forward invoices to Freeagent to be scheduled to pay would be really helpful. I'd love to have more insight in projects and see how they are performing at a top level."
Hi Ed,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback, we really appreciate it. We've passed your requests along to our Product Team to review as they're always eager to hear our customers' suggestions. The good news is that we do have new features and updates in the pipeline, so keep an eye out for those in the near future. If there's anything else we can do to help improve your experience, please let us know.

Thanks again!