“I wouldn't recommend this company. They failed to complete the work on my chimney and failed to spot asbestos in the chimney. I had extra expense as a result of there poor survey and was left with a large hole in my chimney that had to be repaired by another company. They removed the wrong chimney pot and refused to replace it. The company also demanded 80% of the cost upfront.
Most of the work was done by subcontractors but the managers really didn't know what they were doing.”
Posted 2 years ago
Firstly thank you for taking the time to review us and for your constructive comments. Obviously the service you feel you received did not live up to our usual high standards and it would appear that when we dealt with your concerns previously, we may not have been as clear as we could have.
To try and help a little I’d like to explain the chain of events that lead to this. You asked us to carry out a sweep and survey to reline you flue that you had previously had tested by a chimney sweep and had informed you it had failed a smoke test. When we swept the fireplace you wanted lining, the sweep rods went up and at what felt like a bend (very common occurrence) they continued going up the rest of the way and coming out of the chimney pot second from front on your stack. This lead us to believe that this was the flue that needed to be lined, especially after smoke was seen coming out of the second and third pots. We quoted for and you accepted for us to reline this flue. The sweep and test carried out is a very common test and unless there is an obstruction or major reason to carry out a CCTV survey, this would be the normal procedure for finding out which flue needs re-lining.
As you are aware, when we came to line the flue (we had previously lined another flue without issue in another part of your property) we found that from the top down that there was an issue inside, and because your property is under full renovation we made an inspection hole in the chimney breast on the first floor, in the area we were having problems with. This was when we saw there was an asbestos sleeve that had been fitted at some point in the past and was causing an obstruction in the flue we were lining and another flue that ran parallel to it. Our operatives have all completed Asbestos Awareness courses and know the procedure is to report this immediately and not to break into or disrupt further the asbestos which is what we did. We recommended you contact an asbestos removal company for a quote to remove it, before we could continue the work.
We returned when the asbestos removal company had been and removed the blockage and continued to line the flue although it became apparent that the flue next to it was the original one that serviced the fire we were lining. You then told our engineer that we were to brick up the void that had been made by the asbestos removal company to compensate for the cost to you for having to contract them, unfortunately we were unable to carry out your request, then we found that they had also broken one of your chimney pots off which you also expected us to replace free of charge.
I believe that every effort was made to try and rectify the situation other than to carry out the additional building work free of charge, which although we had offered to discount the normal cost as a gesture of good will you did not want to entertain, so we continued to carry out the work we had been originally contracted to do and completed it the same day.
Although it is a great shame when a job does not go perfectly to plan, we do have procedures in place when we find something in an old property that is not normal and I believe our engineers carried out these procedures to the letter. We only use our own employees and do not subcontract work out so you only ever would have dealt with our own engineers from start to finish, and although we were unable to carry out the other building work for you free of charge, the jobs we were employed to do have been done to a high standard.
I am sorry you have felt the need to mark us with one star, but rest assured the service and work that we were contracted to carry out and completed was done to a 5-star standard and I hope that we can prove this again if the same set of circumstances occur.
“My experience of Enviro-Flame was disappointing and fell far short of their promise of reliability, quality and peace of mind. They failed to show up to their first appointment, damaged several items in my home including my prized TV, and fitted a different gas fire to the one I had ordered. The installation stretched over three months and was a catalogue of problems from start to finish. Their response to rectifying this lamentable turn of events was flat-out denials of either responsibility or liability and a paltry 4% reduction in bill. The denials will doubtless continue in their response to this review, so for the record: Damaged flat screen TV - I had not moved the TV table because I was the fireplace break-out would not start until the gas run was completed. The installer unexpectedly decided to crack on at the same time, and took a pneumatic hammer to the old concrete fire surround less than two feet from the TV, with just a sheet over it. The chipped screen could not be repaired and the TV had to be replaced. Incredibly, and despite being supplied with pictures of the chaotic work scene, the firm both denied they had caused the damage, and also claimed they are not liable for damage to movables and warn all customers as much. In fact, they don't, as their Ts and Cs when eventually supplied revealed. The wrong fire supplied – the company claim they told me that they were switching makes of fire for supply reasons, but I have absolutely no recollection or record of it. The fire was fitted without trim, and when the trim eventually arrived, it was very different from that ordered, and entirely unsuitable. They replaced it with the right trim, but that did not fit the supplied make of fire. I have had to settle for a compromise mixing both sets of trim. I won't give chapter and verse on the other issues that came up – central heating power cut off by a blowtorch, and the damage blamed on a "blown fuse" (blown by what?), badly sawn floorboards left unsupported, and hallway décor damaged chasing a gas leak – but suffice it to say I cannot recommend this firm.”
Posted 3 years ago
Dear Jackie, we always take all feedback very seriously and yours is no exception, and we are very sorry that this particular job did not run as smoothly as you would have liked. As we made clear at the time of installation, there were challenges that took a lot longer to overcome, but none that we did not make every effort to solve quickly and solve to a high standard. We maintained open communication throughout this process and did not undertake any work without your prior approval. Indeed, the majority of the initial work was done under your observation, including the fireplace breakout, and your input was sought and considered at all times during the installation process.
We always advise our customers to move any valuable items from the immediate area while we are working and our engineers take great effort and care to cover areas with dust sheets and minimise mess while working. There was a leak in your gas supply that our engineer took several hours to locate and rectify, and the incident of your boiler breaking down which we returned the next morning to rectify too. Both of which had no relation to the fireplace work we carried out, but the installation team took upon themselves to put right for you. I would have hoped that this might have been considered.
After careful consideration, we did not believe that our engineers caused damage to your property, and that in fact we went outside our initial remit to resolve any unforeseen issues to do with your fireplace, boiler and gas system that we encountered along the way.
I believe we have left you with a fully functioning, beautiful new gas fire which works safely, and the installation was carried out professionally. I understand the office had much communication with you throughout, and barring the issue of the wrong frame being delivered, the work was carried out to a high standard. With this in mind, we are satisfied that all of our customer service protocols have been adhered to, and that the work we carried out for you does not warrant the one star review you have left.