Crunch Reviews

81% of reviewers recommend Crunch

About Crunch: Crunch is a groundbreaking online accountancy firm for freelancers, contractors and small businesses. By combining accredited, award-winning in-house accountants with internally-developed cloud software, Crunch delivers a complete business accountancy service for a flat monthly fee. No costly extras, your own personal account manager, and maximum tax efficiency.

Crunch’s monthly fee of £69.50+VAT includes:

- Unlimited access to your own account manager and a team of accredited accountants
- Access to our simple, real-time online accounting software to help you stay on top of your finances
- Year end filings, Corporation Tax and VAT returns all included in your monthly fee
- Our team will handle the taxman for you with our Registered Office service
- Mobile apps for on-the-go bookkeeping
- RTI-compliant payroll included for two company directors
- A hand-picked range of additional business services

To learn more visit Crunch.co.uk

review@crunch.co.uk

Telecom House, 125-135 Preston Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 6AF

Category:
Accountants

Tell us how Crunch made you happy

Would Work With Again yes
"Two of Staff at Crunch - Alexis and Mina - to me have been exceptionally kind and helpful and an absolute pleasure to speak with, even though I asked a lot of questions, and I appreciated their detailed knowledge and availability - which went beyond what I would have expected. Thank you."
Would Work With Again no
"When this service launched it was outstanding. They added a few features, it got even better. It was the best accountancy product for a while, but their velocity of impovement has slowed to a snail's pace with the recent "improvements" being about a new logo and website and not improving the app which is their core product. The site (app.crunch.co.uk hosted on amazon) often has poor latency. The UI is clunky with having to wander around the screen needlessly. Look at GDS standards and key obvious action buttons. There is no site search on the app so you have to look around for where things are. There is no facility to quickly grab a screen shot to show crunch the problem (compare with Google maps). There are UI issues with menus appearing off the screen. There is a quarterly spam problem with VAT returns where you can't just tell crunch you pay by direct debit, you get spammed every quarter with being told your payment is late even though it's under the control of HMRC. You cannot (on a Saturday) mark a payment as paid on the Monday because Monday is in the future, even though it's already in the bank account. My "invoice to" list is over 20 long, including companies no longer customers. I need an "archive" list so that I just get recent relevant customers. My "expense payment to" list is also similarly long and has entries no longer relevant. This needs to be tidied up, the longer you are with crunch the worse it gets. There is poor UI standards. Sometimes the action buttons are blue, sometimes white (pay yourself dashboard - two buttons do the same thing but are different colours). There is an utterly irrelevant dashboard that you get by default and have to ask to be turned off, telling you when everybody's birthday is. There is no way to itemise out particular line items in cumulative expenses (e.g. you put in a weekly expense claim some of which includes mileage allowance). this means you can't easily compute your total mileage for the year based on actual claims. All simple basic stuff, yet their recent focus has been a new logo. It's also time the VAT Spam stopped. I pay by direct debit. My payments aren't late. Stop the spam. A binary flag saying "Customer pays by direct debit and does not need to be spammed" would take a few hours to implement and adequately test. thanks"
Would Work With Again no
"I have mixed reviewed about Crunch. In my first year I had poor service from my account manager and after a mistake was made I was automatically swapped over. I have recently had some great customer service by an accountant Mina Beshara. She was extremely efficient and was able to sort out my accounts and save me a lot of money in one day. I am very grateful for her help as I was lacking faith until her help."
Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback, my name's Luke and I'm the Client Experience Coordinator here at Crunch.

I'm sorry to hear that the service has not been up to the standard you were expecting. Please email me on support@crunch.co.uk to discuss this further as I'd like to ensure that we learn from your experience and are doing everything we can to provide you the best service possible.

Thank you for your kind words about Mina, I will make sure to forward this on.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Would Work With Again yes
"I've been with Crunch on-and-off since 2012 and have recently started up with them again. I must say that they were better in 2012 as their service and advice was better and the customer service team was more responsive. They have still prompted me for all the important things which has saved me a lot of grief with HMRC in the past. However, my recent account manager has been making an effort to get things done and it is early days for my new company, so we'll see how things go this year. The referral feature is helpful for small businesses like myself, so that can be helpful. I've noticed that the software hasn't improved much since it came out. For my self-employed work, I use free software which links to my bank account - for free - and it also provides a free app that allows unlimited logging of expenses - for free. The Snap app that Crunch provides is limited to 15 uploads a month and requires you to pay £5.50 per month for Unlimited. The app doesn't look like it has been updated since it first came out and the reviews seem to reflect this. Their accounting software still doesn't allow you to create an estimate or quote from scratch that can later be converted into an invoice while my free software can do this with no issues. I can also accept card payments with Stripe with no monthly cost with my free software. I hope Crunch update their features soon as it just bumps up the price of their subscription beyond what it's worth. I'll update this review later this year."
Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting a detailed review of the Crunch service although I'm sorry that you feel the service aspect has dropped in recent times. If possible I'd like to understand more about this so I can review your concerns in more detail. If it's OK with you, I'd like to drop you a quick email today or if you would prefer a call, please let me know and I'll be happy to chat.

I'd also be interested in finding out more about the software you're using for the self employed elements of your work as it sounds really interesting - we've recently formed a partnership with Freeagent specifically for Sole Traders and so it would be a good opportunity for us to review other software for this market.

With regards to the estimates / quotes feature, we implemented this a couple of years ago. It was requested by some of our clients and so we developed a simple, easy to use, tool that allows you to do this in Crunch Platform.

Stripe is a very handy method of taking payments online and this is something that we would like to see considered for a future release. We have created a basic integration with GoCardless however there is a clear need to expand our features to accommodate all Payment Processing accounts.

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and it's fantastic to see that you have been a customer of ours for so many years.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks
Would Work With Again No
"Potentially an outstanding service but they are consistently let down by an unwillingness to listen to users and implement even small development changes. Couple of examples: I pay VAT by direct debit. I have no control over when this money leaves my account, but every quarter I get an email telling me my payment is late. This email is of no interest and is frankly spam. HMRC takes the payment and the payments are made on time. Can I opt out of this spam by telling crunch I pay by direct debit? No. Have they implemented this change MANY YEARS after being requested? No. Why not? 5 minute change. Other example, they have a timeline feature that reminds me of my birthday, my FORMER employees birthdays and they cannot remove birthdays from my corporate timeline. Guys, this isn't facebook. Stop this nonsense immediately. I don't need accountancy software reminding me of the birthdays of people who left the company 6 years ago. The software also isn't scalable. If you've been with crunch for a while you will see an ever increasing list of people you can pay bills too. I hired a flat in 2010 and they are still on the list. Can they be removed? no. Can they be archived? no. Can they be hidden? no. So the list just keeps on growing. Simple UI changes that would make a huge difference. Considering leaving unless they invest in better software."
Would Work With Again No
"The staff are courteous and helpful - which is the only positive. I was disappointed with the opaque pricing structure (odd fees pop at various points of time), inability to meet filing deadlines (which they had committed to) - which makes things really challenging for me. I would not recommend using these guys. For these prices (and the additional fees that they keep throwing at you), I think it's best you work with a smaller accounting firm."
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your invaluable feedback and I'm sorry to hear that you have found our pricing structure unclear and that you feel we've missed deadlines.

We are very open and upfront about our fees and will always advise that closing company fees are not covered as part of the monthly subscription.

I've looked through your account and agree that there was indeed a filing deadline that wasn't met. On review, I can see that we contacted you with emails and calls on multiple occasions ahead of the deadline and we made it very clear what was required in order to file the return in question.

Unfortunately we cannot be held responsible for this as it required your direct involvement and permission.

If you would like to discuss this further, please let me know and I can arrange a call.

Kind regards
"While the technical issues that slowed the site down earlier in the year appear to have been solved, it shows how fragile the service can be. Now a risk for my business. This combined with the charging for services that were free or at least hard caps put on them is really disappointing and could be a slippery slope to charge more."
"Good service, yet slow clunky and inflexible accounting software"
Crunch is rated 4.25 based on 275 reviews