Ashwood Nurseries Reviews

of reviewers recommend Ashwood Nurseries
Read Ashwood Nurseries Reviews

About Ashwood Nurseries:

We are a traditional plant nursery and garden centre. Plants are our passion and we offer one of the finest selections in the UK, including our speciality plants: hellebores, hepaticas, cyclamen, Primula auricula, salvias, hydrangeas, conifers and snowdrops. Our record of 53 RHS Gold Medals is a testament to our impeccable standards and traditional values. We pride ourselves on our fast delivery service, attention to detail and friendly personal service.

01384 401996

info@ashwoodnurseries.com

Ashwood Nurseries, Ashwood Lower Lane

Shrub arrived amazingly quickly. Was a bit surprised that it was in it’s autumn foliage stage and that the leaves were droopy despite compost in the pot being moist. Due to my concerns I took a photo before planting and hope that it grows as expected next year.
A slightly disappointing experience sadly. The plants that arrived were beautifully grown and well packaged. Two were without labels but as they were Hellebores or Cyclamen it wasn't difficult to sort that out. Not good though. One of the Hellebores I ordered specifically because it is described by , virtually, all sources ,including Ashwood, as being strongly fragrant. This one wasn't, not even in a cold greenhouse, which was disappointing at nearly £18 a pot. I contacted customer Services and ,basically was told that I was wrong. I replied but had no further communication. As an ex nurseryman I appreciate that all seed grown plants can vary and scent is one such variable. Helleborus foetidus Miss Jekyll is one that can be scented or not. My point being that if you pride yourself on growing "the Best Hellebores" (and they are lovely plants) and they are seed grown - I don't know if they are hand polinated - then mention should be made of the potential for variation, i.e the plant you receive may not look/smell like its description. I do think that there are aspects of the business that could be reviewed and maybe altered. To keep hellebores true to type normally requires vegetative propagation. They are notoriusly promiscuous. Would I buy again ? Probably but with reservations.
No problem in placing the order online and plant received in good time. However, was rather disappointed with the camellia plant itself. It’s rather small compared with 2 other camellia plants in same 3 litres pot size that were purchased from 2 other different nurseries.
I am a big fan of Ashwood and have collected many helebores from the Nursery over the years. I ordered online for the first time, choosing the latest one based on the photograph and description to really 'perk up' a semi shady border with beautiful white flowers. The plant arrived safely, well packed. However it is very pot bound and there is absolutely no sign of any flowers to come in the near future, this winter/spring, so I am disappointed!
Heathers arrived in good condition but barely in flower. I am going to have to work out how to bring them on quickly as I purchased them to put in tubs on my porch as I am bringing the begonias in now. The cyclamen hadn't enjoyed the journey. The flower stems were bent and the flowers have withered. I think you should look into a more sophisticated form of packaging-maybe purpose made cardboard holders- I realise plastic is not environment friendly but soggy newspaper isn't really doing the job. I'd hoped they would be more in flower.
The cyclamen plants arrived on time well wrapped in paper, but upside down, so the flowers were damaged, but otherwise OK.
Plants were Damaged when they arrived & alot branches snapped off which was shame.as delivery was £8.
Ordered 5 litre pot of salvia armane. Arrived well packaged and in good time. Plant a bit sad and has yet to recover.
We purchased an acer palmatum 'taylor' from you recently (Your Order #100022039 placed on 26 June 2020 15:17:35 BST). The dispatch and delivery were prompt and efficient but we were a little disappointed with the condition of the plant when it arrived. It looked a little sad with many of its leaves slightly scorched and only three new bright green leaves. We have planted it in a pot and it appears to be doing ok. However we don't feel it is up to your usual high quality.
Rose was slightly damaged when it arrived and some of its leaves are now yellow despite a lot of water.
I ordered 11 plants and they all arrived well packed with minimal damage. I was disappointed only with the dahlia tubers as 3 out of 4 were rotten; everything else looked well and were now successfully repotted. Regarding the online system, there was no notification about the expected date of delivery until the day when they were delivered. I didn't know even if the order was processed.
Reasonable plants for the money. One or two branches needed pruning out as they were rubbing. Recently potted ? the root ball could have fitted into a smaller pot. It hadn't rooted out into the 10 litre pot it was supplied in.
I've had two orders to date, the second being much better than the first. This is partly because the dispatch date of the first order meant the plants were with the distributor over the weekend, and therefore a bit wilted when they arrived, but also because the shrubs (cornus alba 'Sibirica') were pot-bound. They have needed extra care, but are looking much better after a couple of weeks in the ground. We have had no problem with the plants in the second order, which were delivered promptly and in much better condition overall.
I purchased 2 plants which did arrive quickly despite the Covid-19 lockdown conditions being in place. However, there were no fragile stickers or any indication that the parcel contained plants therefore the courier apparently did not take any particular care with the parcel and when unpacked, the plants looked like they had been used as a football. Both were out of their pots and covered in soil. Leaves and flowers were broken off. Despite sending an email to Ashwood on the 28th April 2020 I still have not had a response as at 05th May 2020. All this being said, the plants looked to have been of great quality and after being repotted appear to be ok i.e. they have not died as yet, so I am hopeful they will be ok and be a great addition to my rockery.
Ordered 4 plants, packaging very good. Supply only given a 3 star rateing as one plant was supplied in poor health. Made a claim to renew but as yet no acknowledgement.
Plants look very good packaging less so.label was on side of box and nothing to indicate which was the top. I ended up opening it upside down. Box was also badly dented.
I ordered two climbing roses, sadly the box was damaged on arrival and one of the roses had a branch broken. Bit disappointing
The service and plant itself was very good. However, your delivery courier never actually delivered. He left the parcel at a different address. I did contact the courier, but they never came back to me or apologised. I was very lucky that the people who received this plant actually new me. I feel this was not very acceptable.
i ordered 4 plants - erica Kramers red. Three were as ordered one was not - a different red. Too much trouble to complain so planted all 4.
I have purchased many things from Ashwood, and they are always of a high quality and health upon arrival. My last experience was a little frustrating, ordering some winter cornus, that was sold as "in stock", only to discover 4 days later, that it wasn't, and two weeks later for it to be delivered. I was updated by the team during the process, but if you know you don't have something in stock, just say so, as there were many places I could have gone instead that were holding stock. I appreciate you must have high turnover of your stock, but assume this is automated. Your loyal customers, like me, will come back, but up front honesty is always preferable I believe, were you can. The plants were delivered in a good and healthy condition Thanks
Ashwood Nurseries is rated 4.90 based on 4,765 reviews