Ashwood Nurseries Reviews

4.9
Based on 5,446 reviews
Read Ashwood Nurseries Reviews

About Ashwood Nurseries:

We are a traditional plant nursery and garden centre. Plants are our passion and we offer one of the finest selections in the UK, including our speciality plants: hellebores, hepaticas, cyclamen, Primula auricula, salvias, hydrangeas, conifers and snowdrops. Our record of 53 RHS Gold Medals is a testament to our impeccable standards and traditional values. We pride ourselves on our fast delivery service, attention to detail and friendly personal service.

01384 401996

Jack O
Ashwood Nurseries 5 star review on 3rd June 2022
Ashwood Nurseries 5 star review on 31st May 2022
Sharon F
Plants arrived in good condition. I have since seen the same plants cheaper in a local store.
Unfortunately, the courier used by the nursery didn’t deliver when scheduled and the day after the scheduled delivery, I saw the courier drive past my delivery address and I ran down the road after him. He had left the Ruby wedding anniversary rose I’d purchased in his van in a sealed box for two days, the box slightly damaged and on opening the box, the rose was showing signs of deterioration and stems broken off. Considering the courier knew it was a live plant, he was very flippant when he admitted he should have delivered it the day before. Had I not chased after him, I know I wouldn’t have got it that day either because he had driven past my delivery address and was heading away from it and being city centre location, it’s one way only so he was driving away without stopping. It’s not the nurseries fault but I would use another courier service.
plants arrived but they are tiny! I was hoping to remove a corner and have them for this year but I will be growing them on for another year before they can go in the spot I have them earmarked for :(
plants were fine, but the carrier did not carry out the instructions you labelled on the outside of the parcel, ie he left the parcel on the wet painted doorstep and never bothered to ring the bell, one out of five for carrier regards; Keith Davis
The plants were in excellent condition but very small. Expert packed but expensive for the size this year.
Thank you fir my delivery. Very satisfied with the skimmia x2 and hellebores x2?although some of the cyclamen at least 5 crumbled and broke up altogether as l attempted to removed from their tiny pots making it difficult to replant. I only hope they survive?
Shrub arrived amazingly quickly. Was a bit surprised that it was in it’s autumn foliage stage and that the leaves were droopy despite compost in the pot being moist. Due to my concerns I took a photo before planting and hope that it grows as expected next year.
A slightly disappointing experience sadly. The plants that arrived were beautifully grown and well packaged. Two were without labels but as they were Hellebores or Cyclamen it wasn't difficult to sort that out. Not good though. One of the Hellebores I ordered specifically because it is described by , virtually, all sources ,including Ashwood, as being strongly fragrant. This one wasn't, not even in a cold greenhouse, which was disappointing at nearly £18 a pot. I contacted customer Services and ,basically was told that I was wrong. I replied but had no further communication. As an ex nurseryman I appreciate that all seed grown plants can vary and scent is one such variable. Helleborus foetidus Miss Jekyll is one that can be scented or not. My point being that if you pride yourself on growing "the Best Hellebores" (and they are lovely plants) and they are seed grown - I don't know if they are hand polinated - then mention should be made of the potential for variation, i.e the plant you receive may not look/smell like its description. I do think that there are aspects of the business that could be reviewed and maybe altered. To keep hellebores true to type normally requires vegetative propagation. They are notoriusly promiscuous. Would I buy again ? Probably but with reservations.
No problem in placing the order online and plant received in good time. However, was rather disappointed with the camellia plant itself. It’s rather small compared with 2 other camellia plants in same 3 litres pot size that were purchased from 2 other different nurseries.
I am a big fan of Ashwood and have collected many helebores from the Nursery over the years. I ordered online for the first time, choosing the latest one based on the photograph and description to really 'perk up' a semi shady border with beautiful white flowers. The plant arrived safely, well packed. However it is very pot bound and there is absolutely no sign of any flowers to come in the near future, this winter/spring, so I am disappointed!
Heathers arrived in good condition but barely in flower. I am going to have to work out how to bring them on quickly as I purchased them to put in tubs on my porch as I am bringing the begonias in now. The cyclamen hadn't enjoyed the journey. The flower stems were bent and the flowers have withered. I think you should look into a more sophisticated form of packaging-maybe purpose made cardboard holders- I realise plastic is not environment friendly but soggy newspaper isn't really doing the job. I'd hoped they would be more in flower.
The cyclamen plants arrived on time well wrapped in paper, but upside down, so the flowers were damaged, but otherwise OK.
Plants were Damaged when they arrived & alot branches snapped off which was shame.as delivery was £8.
Ordered 5 litre pot of salvia armane. Arrived well packaged and in good time. Plant a bit sad and has yet to recover.
We purchased an acer palmatum 'taylor' from you recently (Your Order #100022039 placed on 26 June 2020 15:17:35 BST). The dispatch and delivery were prompt and efficient but we were a little disappointed with the condition of the plant when it arrived. It looked a little sad with many of its leaves slightly scorched and only three new bright green leaves. We have planted it in a pot and it appears to be doing ok. However we don't feel it is up to your usual high quality.
Rose was slightly damaged when it arrived and some of its leaves are now yellow despite a lot of water.
I ordered 11 plants and they all arrived well packed with minimal damage. I was disappointed only with the dahlia tubers as 3 out of 4 were rotten; everything else looked well and were now successfully repotted. Regarding the online system, there was no notification about the expected date of delivery until the day when they were delivered. I didn't know even if the order was processed.
Reasonable plants for the money. One or two branches needed pruning out as they were rubbing. Recently potted ? the root ball could have fitted into a smaller pot. It hadn't rooted out into the 10 litre pot it was supplied in.
I've had two orders to date, the second being much better than the first. This is partly because the dispatch date of the first order meant the plants were with the distributor over the weekend, and therefore a bit wilted when they arrived, but also because the shrubs (cornus alba 'Sibirica') were pot-bound. They have needed extra care, but are looking much better after a couple of weeks in the ground. We have had no problem with the plants in the second order, which were delivered promptly and in much better condition overall.
I purchased 2 plants which did arrive quickly despite the Covid-19 lockdown conditions being in place. However, there were no fragile stickers or any indication that the parcel contained plants therefore the courier apparently did not take any particular care with the parcel and when unpacked, the plants looked like they had been used as a football. Both were out of their pots and covered in soil. Leaves and flowers were broken off. Despite sending an email to Ashwood on the 28th April 2020 I still have not had a response as at 05th May 2020. All this being said, the plants looked to have been of great quality and after being repotted appear to be ok i.e. they have not died as yet, so I am hopeful they will be ok and be a great addition to my rockery.
Ashwood Nurseries is rated 4.9 based on 5,446 reviews