Waggel Reviews

of reviewers recommend Waggel
Live Chat, Email
Read Waggel Reviews

About Waggel:

We hate nasty surprises as much as anybody, whether it’s on the carpet when we get home or hidden away in a pet insurance policy. Waggel’s all-inclusive, lifetime pet insurance has been designed to give you everything we think you’ll need and more!

* One comprehensive, lifetime pet insurance policy (we even include dental).
* Designed by pet owners and vets.
* Save thousands over your dog’s lifetime.
* No more hassle, no more hold music, no more hating your insurance company.
* Backed by over 15 years of insurance experience.

hello@waggel.co.uk

Waggel Limited, WeWork, 131 Finsbury Pavement

Tell us how Waggel made you happy
I don’t agree that you only appear to support dog charities and your vet helpline again only mentions dogs and not cats. Please confirm that you will be able to help my cats if I need to call?
Hi Tina,
We support a number of different charities, including Pet Savers who provide funding for research into the prevention, treatment and cure of illnesses affecting pets which also includes cats.
Our 24-hour vets will be more than happy to help you with your cats, and it will be a pleasure to have you as part of the Waggel community. Kind regards, Mareia
There are a lot of things I like about Waggel...and yet we will be moving on to another insurer.

Waggel has many positives: fairly priced, great 24/7 veterinary phone calls, the community surrounding it feels lovely and warm. Plus, when we did our first claim we received the payment within a month and with absolutely no fuss.
What's not to love?

Well... time came for our second claim, and things began to go wrong. Now perhaps I am thick, but for me (and for the dictionary) a condition is a 'state' rather than a one off occurrence. So when we read that the contribution towards the claim was 'per condition, per year', we thought it referred to actual conditions rather than for each accident.
Now, I find that incredibly (and purposefully) misleading. A dog eating something off the street and becoming sick once is not a condition. If two months later my dogs vomits all through the night because of a one off gastritis, that's not a condition either. By its very definition, it would be a condition if it was long-standing, wouldn't it?

Anyway, that's exactly what happened: my dog was sick for eating something off the street and we got our first claim no problem. When he had gastritis and now we have to pay our contribution again? That doesn't work for us, especially because we have a (touch wood) very healthy little pup, so unless something catastrophic happens we rarely pay more than £250 at the vet. (We never paid more than that). Now I am well aware that vet bills can be very expensive - in the thousands, even, and that's why I believe insurance is fundamental and I recommend it to everyone.
However I do think that we will be switching to another provider, one that is a little more transparent about its pay outs and the conditions behind them. Right now it feels like we pay our £20 each month, and then we pay 80% of vet bills on top of that, so it just doesn't feel worth it. Someone with a dog that requires more expensive treatment would love Waggel. At the moment, we do not.
Hi Gigi,

Thank you for your feedback. We define a Condition as an Injury sustained during, or resulting from, a single Accident or any manifestation of an Illness having the same diagnostic classification or resulting from the same disease process regardless of the number of incidents or areas of Your pet’s body affected.

We would class your dog eating something off the street as a ‘condition’ and it would be accidental Toxic Ingestion. Your dog vomiting all night would be classed as a different condition of Gastritis. The excess would need to be paid for each of these conditions, however say if you claimed for Gastritis again you would not pay for the excess.
The Claim Contribution (Excess) is only paid once for each condition.

How the excess works is explained with examples when obtaining a quote and further in the policy documents which are provided. You also have the option to not pay any excess at all if you wish.

If you would like to discuss this further you can contact us via our online chat platform and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards, Mareia
There are some problems with navigating around the web site, amending policy details and overall it was quite a struggle to sort things out. Also I don't like recurring payments on credit cards and would prefer to pay by direct debit. This nearly caused me to go elsewhere.
Hi Stephen,

We are sorry to hear that you was having difficulty navigating around our website. We are always here to help if you are struggling, you can give us a call or talk to someone through our web chat.
You will be happy to hear that we are working on offering our customers the option to pay by direct debit. This option will be available soon.

Thanks,
Mareia
Claim process seeemed pretty slow compared to previous provider
The application form was simple to complete but I wanted to add pre-existing conditions but couldn’t find where to add these.
I had to call the next day to ask how to add these and the person I spoke to, said she’d ‘pin’ the information to the file and was told pre-existing conditions are only requested if a claim is made.
I think this information should be make more clear during the application process.
Claim process was really easy but took longer than I expected to receive the payment. Granted, this was because Waggel we’re waiting for details from the vets but I wouldn’t expect to have to chase this up as many times as I did
Sorry can’t give 5⭐️ As we haven’t had to contact you, and hopefully that’s the way it will remain. It’s the last thing I want is our dog being injured or unwell.
The website seems very prone to problems. It doesn't fill me with confidence.
I signed up to insure my puppy today, because I was adertised that the first month was free via https://wildatheartfoundation.org/one-months-free-insurance-and-50-donated-to-dogs-in-need/1-2/ - however my first month was charged... wasn't happy about that

the site is really easy to use and looks good though
Hi Keith, sorry to hear that your discount didn't go through. We've applied your next month as your free month. Your next payment will go out in January. Regards, Waggel Team.
It’s ok but I was supposed to get a special 1 month free when I join Waggel. It seems I already paid for the first month.
Hi Graham, sorry to hear that this didn't work for you. I have applied your next month payment in November as free. Your next payment will be in December.
Okay - but there are issues with the policy that make it worthless at times due to the extent of exclusions etc

Plus - if I buy house insurance I expect my house to be insured from the e date the policy starts - not 2 weeks later. In this case for my pets I should expect the same My dog took a fever 7 days after the policy began and was not covered for the treatment he required. If he had been hit by a car, or attacked by another dog - same thing. Us as he is already over 8 but generally in peak condition, many things are not covered. Not even disposal in the event of his death. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m wondering what’s the point now
Hi Alan, sorry that the clause took you by surprise. The 14-day warm-up period is a standard fraud prevention clause across both medical and pet insurance to stop people from purchasing a policy only once they have found out their pet has a condition. We pride ourselves on being human enough to judge this on a case-by-case basis and if you would like to submit a claim we would be happy to assess this for you. Regards Andrew, CEO & co-founder
Thank you for settling my claim it is a shame we had to go through so many hoops to get there.
Had problems using my card with your app. Going back to begining
Every time I tried to make the payment. Used visa in the end.
Waggel 3 star review on 11th September 2020
I have tried to contact you by telephone but no one was there to answer my call.
I am concerned that I was unable to retrieve my original quote and obtained another which was completely different and could not understand why.
I have left my telephone number and have been told on your automated system that someone will phone me back.
I hate your website - its difficult to navigate and there is no info for my pet - just products you're trying to sell me.
Great so far, nice and easy!
You send emails with links in them and they nearly always don't work, it's very frustrating. I just had one about a claim that's been successful so the link was so I could look at the final figures but if course it doesn't work. Also I rang in Monday about a query on a claim you have already paid but one item is missing and not paid. Also when you go on the website the menu doesn't have what you look for like claims that have been paid. I just don't understand how your company works
I wanted to pay the whole amount in one go & couldn’t work out how to do this.
Liked the online setup and modern feel of the website. Downside was that the price of the quote mysteriously increased from the point of starting to complete my details, to the point where I confirmed payment. Only by £1 but felt like it had been done at a point where I was unlikely to cancel the transaction. Left a slightly negative first impression about how trustworthy the company is - hope my fears are unwarranted!
Hi James, we’re really sorry you encountered this issue. I can assure you it’s not something intentional and we’re looking into this as our top priority right now. I’ll get in touch with you personally with an update, but in the mean time, do know that we’re on top of it and you can trust us to resolve this and continue to look after you going forward.

Ross, Co-Founder
Had sone website problems earlier today trying to purchase the insurance
HI Clare,

Sorry to hear you had some issues - I see you were able to buy a policy the same day so I'm glad you managed to overcome whatever issue you experienced.

If you get 5 minutes, would you mind jumping onto Live Chat to let your Customer Champion know what the issue was, so that we can fix it if it's at our end?

Thanks,