Waggel Reviews

of reviewers recommend Waggel
Live Chat, Email
Read Waggel Reviews

About Waggel:

We hate nasty surprises as much as anybody, whether it’s on the carpet when we get home or hidden away in a pet insurance policy. Waggel’s all-inclusive, lifetime pet insurance has been designed to give you everything we think you’ll need and more!

* One comprehensive, lifetime pet insurance policy (we even include dental).
* Designed by pet owners and vets.
* Save thousands over your dog’s lifetime.
* No more hassle, no more hold music, no more hating your insurance company.
* Backed by over 15 years of insurance experience.

hello@waggel.co.uk

Waggel Limited, WeWork, 131 Finsbury Pavement

Tell us how Waggel made you happy
My experience with Waggel has just proven that insurance is a lot like betting. They bet my pet will not need their services while tempting me with stories of how they saved the day and I bet my pet will need their services to cover medical care that may be very expensive.

My claim with Waggle, (incidentally the only insurance claim I have ever made over 40+ years of having a pet), began in September and took two months to be denied. All through the process, it was up to me to chase up Waggle and the vet. Waggel blamed my vet for taking so long to send the paperwork but never bothered to chase them up. I had to call Waggle to get them to do the chasing.

In the end, because I had taken her to the vet for a new pet check up 11 days after adopting her, my claim was denied and any further claim associated with her entire respiratory system will be considered a "pre-existing condition". Also, because my dog is adopted and the two vets I use have differing opinions as to her age (one says she is about 4 and the other says she is about 5), it has been implied that I have lied to Waggle and thus my premium will now be increased.

What I find the most interesting about Waggel's claim to be different and their multiple five star reviews is that the press you very, very hard to review them as soon as you have purchased a policy. Selling me the policy and taking my money was indeed 5-star easy. Leaving me thousands of pounds of essential medical treatment (which, contrary to their text message I did not see coming) and increasing my premium rates a 1-star experience.

Don't be taken in by their cute terms for things such as "customer champion" or discount offers on buying luxury dog jumpers, Waggle is an insurance company first and foremost. They make their money in getting you to buy premiums and denying you coverage. Before you say but they paid for my dog's life saving surgery....think about Vegas. Of course casinos have to let people win now and then, otherwise it would be bad for business, ultimately they make such a profit that paying a few claims to encourage more customers is how they work.

So, my experience has been disappointing. Had I waited three more days then maybe they would have paid the claim made eight months later.... maybe not. Either way, I think my monthly premium is best kept out of their pocket.
Hi Marian,

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review - although of course we're sad to see you're unhappy.

I understand that the situation can be frustrating, all the more so given how much we love our pets. I would like to stress however, that there are various rules and regulations when it comes to insurance (that are all detailed prior to purchase and in follow up documentation) that we - as an insurer - obliged to abide by. This includes things such as the 14 day warm-up period which is an essential step in fraud prevention. This warm-up period basically means that a condition cannot be - in the opinion of your vet - present in an animal within 14 days of taking out a policy. This prevents people from taking out insurance purely to cover the cost of a medical bill they've encountered, as if insurance companies let people do this, every pet owner would be paying massively higher premiums to avoid every insurance company handing out free money and going bust immediately. The important thing to note here is that insurance is supposed to act as a safety net, or security blanket for you - protecting you from unexpected big costs. The 14 day warm up period, and pre-existing conditions help to keep your price down by limiting your coverage to these unforeseen costs - it isn't just free money that anybody can claim - however lovely a free NHS for cats and dogs sounds!

To be clear - I'm quite sure nobody is suspecting you of lying - we just need to take the latest information from your vet and if your vet has specified that in their professional opinion a dog is older than claimed, we simply need to update our records, which can affect the price (up or down). It isn't about attributing blame or accusing anybody of lying, it's just us taking the latest professional opinion and correcting our details to insure you're covered and that we ourselves are acting appropriately and in accordance with the regulations we are bound by.

Anyway, my intention isn't to tell you you're wrong - I am just trying to give you some insight into how we - and other insurers - make decisions around claims. I truly believe we at Waggel (as genuine pet owners) have done our very best to offer a quality product at a great price and we do have a lot of 5 star reviews from members specifically calling out how happy they are with how we've dealt with claims. In order to keep that price great, we need to keep things fair.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel free to give us a call and I would be happy to speak with you personally.

Ross - Co-Founder & CXO.
I have two mini dachshunds insured with Waggel and can’t recommend them enough. As a dachshund owner, there are so many grey areas involving insurance for their backs but insuring with Waggel has been completely straightforward (it’s fantastic that they do dachshund specific insurance!).

One of my dogs was attacked by an aggressive Rottweiler recently and had to stay at the animal hospital for 4 days, resulting in a huge vet bill. Waggel were brilliant and not only covered the bill within a week, but checked up on us to see how our pup was doing! It’s nice to have a personal touch, especially when you’re going through the stress of one of your pups being ill. It’s also great to have access to so many discounts on essentials such as dog food, so we really feel like we benefit from the insurance even when our dogs aren’t ill.

Thank you Waggel for taking such good care of our dogs - we no longer dread contacting our insurance company!
Waggel has made everything from the signing up to claiming Ridiculously simple, clear and straight forward. I have recently made several claims and within a few clicks I have completed my part of the claim - gone are the days of faffing with paper forms and outdated processes. I have complete confidence that my beloved doggo is protected and should anything happen they have got her back.

I have also really enjoyed receiving discounts on food and other products which have saved me loads of those bills.
Very impressed with your company profile. My only concern, and maybe you may want to review this, is your “standard clause” about not covering any claims for the first 14 days. While this is understandable and probably desirable to stop fraudulent claims, your competitors (Bought By Many) waive this clause on condition that there is no gap between insurance.
I have decided not to go with Bought By Many as it’s hopefully a lifetime commitment to a lifetime policy and I want to choose my dogs cover carefully but, I would rather be without risk for 14 days. Maybe, when taking new (puppy) clients who have had breeders 5 week cover you could try and match Bought By Many for dogs less than 3 months.
There are a lot of reviews here that talk about great sign-up experience and a lot of people wondering what is claims process like. Well... I know now :) It is equally smooth. No need to do any paper forms, scanning invoices or anything like that. You simply provide description of the condition, date, amount and vet. practice. They take care of the rest. Very transparent. Just awesome.
And if you have got any question there is a nominated person for each claim you can chat to.
From initially purchasing what we viewed as good value and comprehensive lifetime insurance(you never know until you have to make a claim!) for our puppy through to superfast verification of claim with our vet and settlement..... just awesome service & support
Second handled as first, BRILLIANTLY
Behavioural Consultation with Junior Hudson extremely useful & the fact we can use the service again is a real bonus
He delivers advice clearly and precisely
Thanks again Waggel & Junior
Bit confused with Waggel. The website says it covers dental, behavioural issues, pre-existing conditions etc. It's one of the first things highlighted on their homepage. But now I've signed up and paid, the small print seems to suggest that it doesn't really cover these things. Dental treatment won't be covered unless a recent vet check (must have been done in the last 12 months) shows there were no dental issues. I don't think my dog had dental problems 12 months ago, but it is essential that i have proof from a vet to show that. Waggel say they cover treatment for behavioural issues, but again the fine print says that a vet must show that it is a recent change of behaviour that needs treating, and the behavioural issue is not how the dog would have acted 'normally'. I'm a bit concerned that it will be impossible for me to ever claim anything successfully, and that they lure customers in with shiny (but hollow) promises.
Hello,

Thanks for becoming a Waggel customer, although it's unfortunate you have experienced some confusion. We understand there's a lot of anxiety around whether or not insurance companies will actually pay out for a claim which is why we pride ourselves on being fully transparent, so you can feel confident you know where you stand - hopefully I can clear things up for you. This might be a little wordy, but I'll do my best to keep it as short as possible!

The way policy sub-limits work is that within your vet fees coverage (the amount you can claim per policy year) you are able to claim up to the amount of that sub-limit. This includes, as you pointed out, dental and behavioural issues. This means that even if you have £10,000 vet fees coverage, you can only claim up to £1,000 for dental treatment for example. We do this in order to keep your monthly premium affordable and our sub-limit amounts are chosen so that the majority of our customers never reach them.

Separate to sub-limits there are "pre-existing conditions". These are conditions that have occurred prior to you getting pet insurance with your insurance provider. For example, a dog or cat is treated for a damaged tooth and you then take out insurance, that insurance policy won't cover that tooth. The reason for this is that monthly premiums are calculated according to the likelihood of that particular dog encountering a new issue within the period of the policy.

In your particular case, as you highlighted above, we do require a vet to have checked your dogs teeth within 12 months prior to a dental claim. This is in order to establish the onset date, so that we can be confident that it occurred during your policy period and therefore we can pay the claim. This is pretty standard across pet insurance (and human health insurance again).

Anecdotally, as a dog owner myself I discovered when I asked my vet for a dental checkup on my Golden Retriever, Sailor, for the same reason as you highlighted above, it turned out every time we've gone to the vets they've performed a dental check - for free - and put it on record so that I'm able to claim for any dental treatments. You may find your vet has been doing the same, and if not you can ask them to. If it turns out there's no pre-existing dental conditions then you can feel happy and confident that you're covered.

The same goes for behavioural - it's really not there to screw customers, it's purely there to ensure that our customers treat us as fairly as we treat them. If there's nothing on record showing a dog has behavioural issues, then your vet won't have a problem specifying that in the event that you need to claim.

All of this information is available prior to purchase - I can assure you there is no luring in of customers or smoke and mirrors being deployed to hide the above. In fact, all of the above can be easily accessed by clicking "Find out what this covers" during the quote process - at the step where you choose your vet fee coverage.

I hope that's provided the clarity you hoped for, if not we do proudly offer the ability to cancel any time if you're not happy and please do feel free to contact us via live chat or phone if you'd like any further information - ask for me personally and I'll be more than happy to speak to you directly.

Ross
Co-Founder & Chief Product Officer
If our puppy has a litter one day does that mean I cancel the insurance with Waggle?
Hi Ieuan,
The policy would not get cancelled, but we would not cover anything pregnancy related. For example, if your dog needed a c-section or got mastitis when feeding the pups we would not cover for it. However anything not relating to the pregnancy we would still cover. If you have any further questions please let us know. You can email us on hello@waggel.co.uk or speak to someone via our online chats. Thanks, Mareia
They charge a large price and say they embrace innovative treatment for pets but when it comes to paying out THEY SUCK
The proof of any good insurance company is when you come to claim. I had a ridiculous renewal quote from another firm, so I decided it was finally time to shop around.
Waggel offered a sensible price, with a lifetime policy. Obviously, pre-existing conditions were excluded, but I wanted some form of insurance.
After only 4 weeks into my new policy, my greyhound needed investigations for breathlessness and coughing. He's 9, and I was very worried about him.
After blood tests and xrays, nothing sinister was found, much to my relief.
I put in a claim on my new Waggel policy.
Such a simple process - I just wrote down briefly what was wrong, entered my vet's details, that's it! Quick and easy, and online.
Waggel kept in touch with me throughout, and my claim was paid.
Both staff I spoke to were helpful and polite, and a pleasure to deal with.
Changing insurers is a bit daunting, especially as Waggel are pretty new, but I've been really happy with my experience with them.
Waggel 5 star review on 21st July 2020
Hello Waggel,

I just wanted to give you a review to say thank you! We had to put a claim through for our dog Taz as he fractured is tooth. Luckily we have never had to make a claim before and we really didn’t know how the claims process worked. Thanks to Mercedes we were able to focus on what really mattered, and that’s Taz. Mercedes kept us up to date and informed the whole way through, even when we hit a little bump in the road with retrieving his medical records. I’m over the moon with the customer service we received and I think Mercedes deserves some recognition for this.

Waggel you’re brilliant. I’m pleased that both of our dogs are insured through you.
what amazing service, am getting a new puppy and wanted him covered from the get go, it was simple and easy to understand and amazingly the cheapest, but what really sold it was i had a question phoned the number, no waiting, answered by a lovely lady who kindly answered all my questions - with no hard sell - won me over! and now i discover all the members benefits - Brilliant will definitely be recommending this to everyone i know.
responsive customer support team! very helpful
Joining Waggel was very easy, quick and simple. I prefer having an online account and love the competitions that are so easy to enter.

I researched dog insurance extensively as my last provider was doubling the monthly cost each year which made it unaffordable in the end. With my dog being nearly 13 it does limit insurance providers as most are unwilling to insure this age.

Thankfully Waggel was willing to provide insurance for my dog and I went ahead with the quote in February 2020. Since then I’ve had to make a claim, actually 3 claims from 3 different vet practices (out of hours vet, regularly vet and referral vet) but for the same condition.

Waggel were fantastic with communication and customer service which made a stressful time a little easier. There was one downside which was due to the veterinary practices I visited not having heard of or dealt with Waggel Insurance before so they were unwilling to go forward with a direct claim. I’m sure this will change as Waggel builds up business and reviews and practices become more familiarised with the company but it may currently cause an issue with some pet owners If they don’t have the money to pay vet bills there and then.

A few weeks on and Waggel have sorted out all 3 claims and paid me all money owed back. From working in veterinary practice as a qualified nurse for over 16 years I can tell you this was definitely one of the a fastest settled claims I’ve seen!

So thumbs up from me for Waggel 👍🏻
Waggel have been wonderful, and supported me every step of the way. My Customer Champion has been fantastic- the communication is swift, very clear and all around brilliant. I've been recommending Waggel to my friends because of how happy I am with their service.
Had a policy with them for my 2 year old cat. Never made a claim. My renewal was 15% higher! I contacted them and they said based on my cats age (now 3) and vets are charging more. Not to be believed. Cancelled my policy.
Absolutely amazing! We made to make our first claim and it was very easy to do online. Then, someone from the Waggel team called to explain everything in great detail. Also, with the current situation right now, having a vet who's able to video call us through FirstVet, has been great! Thank you so much! :)
Hi Jenna, happy to hear you're making use of your membership! Will pass on your feedback to Tarren - your personal Customer Champion if she hasn't already read your review.

All the best to you and Juno, who looks beautiful by the way. I wanted a Husky myself but realised I'm too lazy to give it the exercise it needs, so got a Golden Retriever instead.

Glad to have you both onboard.
Ross - Co-Founder
Not had to claim yet and hope i never do so this is for ease of set up, and importantly, communication. When i read my documents the wording suggested claims would only be honoured if dogs were vaccinated annually. I, like a lot of people, believe this to be unnecessary and potentially harmful and am tired of feeling bullied and spoken down to as if i don't care about my dog by insurers. When i contacted to clarify, i was answered immediately, reassured that my boy is insured for everything other than conditions that annual boosters supposedly protect against (which i fully understand) but more importantly the lovely girl who answered me said she understood my concern and that they would never aim to force a pet owner into a choice they believed to be wrong or harmful. Very understanding and i am happy now that my boy is insured.
Excellent service paid out for our claim without any problems. Were easy to contact and answered the phone immediately. very happy
Wow ! This process was so quick, clean and easy, you almost think there's a CATCH ! Super, well designed and well thought through platform. Really excellent ! Thank you SO much :-) Well done to everyone who came up with this product and all the concepts around it - for example the built in charity donation idea. Thank you to you guys at Waggle !
Waggel is rated 4.76 based on 1,196 reviews