John Charcol Reviews

of reviewers recommend John Charcol
Read John Charcol Reviews

About John Charcol:

John Charcol is an award-winning team of independent mortgage experts who provide friendly and professional advice both over the phone and in person. We help thousands of people each year and have become one of the top mortgage brokers in the UK.

Tell us how John Charcol made you happy
Hopeless, slow to respond, just keep passnig me from one advisor too another. No follow up.
I asked for a call back today 19Mau20 at 18h00. As a First Time Buyer I wanted to get some advice on how to get the best mortgage.
To my surprise I got very disappointed.
The advisor who called me back was rude and very unhelpful. He gave me zero information and made me feel like I am stupid.
Hi, we’re really sorry to hear that you were left disappointed with the service provided by John Charcol. We take every review and all feedback seriously and we’d very much appreciate the opportunity to give you the support that you need. Are you able to email me at marketing@johncharcol.co.uk with your reference number, so we can book in a call with you to ensure you’re offered the best advice and support.
Many thanks, Alice Colmer
Hi
I dealt with Steve Molina and Katy Swift. Steve did a great job of walking me through options to refinance. As a team, they were exceptionally well informed and took me through the process thoroughly, dealing promptly with questions. Quick follow up and call back when I had queries or needed to send further information. Would definitely work with them again.
Absolutely awful, advised my mother into an abusive financial situation with a new partner after my father died. Advised her to give up a mortgage with only £10'000 outstanding so that her new abusive partner could go onto the deeds of her property whilst she took out over £100'000 in a bridging loan to fund his own personal endeavours. Failed to ask my age and if I was a contributor to the home, their advice lost us our entire inheritance from my father's estate. Avoid at any and every cost. We will never recover from their interference and enabling of a physically abusive, financially abusive and coercive man. I am shocked beyond belief by the lack of care of two vulnerable women. Their emails and correspondence fail to address these issues even when raised and they accept a person with no legal relationship to my mother borrowing money against her property to which he has no claim. I am disgusted by this company and their employees
Hi there,

We are extremely sorry to hear that your family have been left disappointed with the service and contact they've have had whilst using John Charcol.

We take every review and all feedback seriously and will use it to prevent this from happening again. As this is a review on behalf of your mother - we would like to better understand what happened and how we can resolve this for them.

Are you able to email me at marketing@johncharcol.co.uk with your mothers reference number and who they were speaking to?

Katherine Sellwood
Terrible experience using John Charcol. The process took 3 months. My advisor booked 3 calls - then didn't turn up for them (apologised later). My advisor booked a further 2 meetings which were each pushed back a week because they had decided to take last minute annual leave.

I had previously remortgaged myself from start to finish in 2 weeks. I went to John Charcol for professional advice. They took 3 months from start to finish and were incompetent at most steps including double charging fees.

I paid the valuation fees for my mortgage illustration from John Charcol and the lender. The advisor then called back later to say the illustration I had been offered was no longer on offer and they would change it.

After completing and paying the fees to John Charcol via the new mortgage - I was sent a 14 day demand to pay the £995 fee again. This was very stressful and I was pressured to pay.
Subsequently John Charcol apologised for their mistake and refunded me the second fee that had already been paid.

Because the process took so long using John Charcol the interest on my credit card consolidation meant it would have been cheaper to use a faster more efficient broker.

I would strongly advise against using John Charcol based on my experience.
Right at the last moment there was a shortfall in the mortgage of £2000 which meant my having to find that amount at very short notice. I complained and just keep getting offered a telephone conversation to discuss things when what I want is the official complaints procedure to make a WRITTEN complaint - not get fobbed off by some bland telephone conversation. At the moment I am busy at work but eventually I will get round to complaining to the financial ombudsman.
The service I received throughout trying to organise 2 mortgages was dreadful! Having used John Charcol 2 years ago I was really happy with the help and service I received. This time has put me off using them ever again I am sad to say! When your account manager leaves and doesn't tell you is never a good start!
Hi Sara,

We are very sorry to hear that you have been left disappointed with the service you have experienced with John Charcol.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback and we will use it to prevent this from happening again.

One of our team will be in touch with you later today to discuss this further.

Marketing Manager
I will never use the mortgage department of John Charcol again. I asked when taking out a re mortgage to pay the fee to the third party up front, it was added on to the mortgage and it is not the first time it has happened. I have not had great response to my complaint and in the end had to sort out with an added charge. I will never recommend John Charcol and will in fact discourage people from using them. I am going to seek advice from the financial ombudsman as being ignored is not professional, but it is the best way to hope that someone is going to give up on the complaint.
Hi David,

Sarah Best our Head of Sales and Quality will be in touch with you later today to discuss this further.

Senior Marketing Executive
Ignorant agents who do not respond to email enquiries or honour meeting commitments, i.e. non-attendance.
We are extremely sorry to hear that you have been left disappointed with the service you have experienced at John Charcol. Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback and we will use it to prevent this from happening again.

We would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. If you are happy to, please send your contact to our Chief Commercial Officer, Luke Somerset: luke.somerset@johncharcol.co.uk.

Senior Marketing Executive
I have been using John Charcol for more than 30 years. Their team is always clear and easy to work with and they always get me a great deal.
Nine months of excruciatingly slow and non-responsive dealings with this specific broker. Although the outcome was positive in that eventually they delivered a decent rate, the painstakingly poor experience is one I wouldn't like to repeat again. The money we lost during the whole process (which from experience could have been completed in a more reasonable 4 months) of transferring our mortgage across was hefty.

I can only put this down to the particular broker, and not JC as a company, as we had dealt with other brokers at JC in the past who had been positive, efficient and helpful.
I expect someone quoting for a mortgage to use the facts i supply them with not my current payments.
They Pay Vero cover to mass market spam everyday. My email server full of their junk spam. And vero cover themselves are a hidden company
Had great communication in the beginning regarding a mortgage renewal and then nothing. My point of contact was celeste Harris who then just stopped replying to my emails. I emailed to see if she had left and was told she still worked for the company and that she would be in contact but still nothing. Completely let down as they come recommended.
I did the full phone call to remortgage (nearly an hour), emailed all the paperwork, emailed after a month to ask what's happening....no response.
Seems I have completely wasted my time with JC. Pointless.
Pravin Varsani took ages to contact me, was too busy to be very interested and ended up advising me to take what I now realise is a very poor deal. He did not tell me that a second lot of solicitors would be required by VIDA for a debenture and this would cost me a further large fee in addition to my main solicitors. I find it ridiculous that, at the age of 69, having had various mortgages for 45 years and with £1.5million in equity in my property investments, I have to pay for 2 solicitors to appraise me of my responsibilities on taking out a mortgage. I would not use you again and would advise others against John Charcol. I am paying your fee VERY RELUCTANTLY.
From the beginning Cathy was hard to reach. We have been working with her for five months now, without success, and have given up. She doesn't answer her phone, instead you get a recorded message to send her an email. Except that she doesn't give her email address! She said right away that our best route for refinancing would be to roll over with the existing lender ... but never told us the endless series of additional information that would be needed. Her excuse always was "they've never been this bad", or "I didn't know they would ask for this". Surely a professional broker should verify what is needed, tell us, check it's all in order, and proceed to the finish, not muddle through hoping for the best. I used John Charcol for my first property years ago and had great service ... now I will think twice before using them again.
Parvin took ages to return my calls and emails
(London) - Posted 3 years ago
We have been trying to arrange a buy to let mortgage for some months now. We need less than 50% funding for this purchase, we have 6 other properties (small studio flats) none with mortgages. At the start of the process we had all the usual hassle with the anti money laundering rules, not least of which because they only drip fed us what proofs they required. Each time the requested proofs were sent, they wrote sometimes weeks later to request yet more information and proof. Their explanation is that they don't know what the mortgage provider will want until they ask for it, so it would appear that either they have no knowledge of the mortgage provider or they just don't care.

We finally got an offer of sorts only to be told today that the solicitors we use were not on their panel and we would need to use a different one. They have known from the outset who are solicitors are, they had everything ready to go two months ago to be told now that we need to use a different one is beyond belief. We have run up a bill with our solicitors of around £1000 and they now wish us to change. We have never used John Charcol before and have been apalled by the service they offer as "The country's Largest Mortgage Broker". They never keep us informed of what is going on, as usual with these sorts of organisations, only endless badgering by us produces results, not too bad if they were doing this for free, but they aren't. We certainly won't be using them again, a thouroughly bad experience.
Very poor customer service. Expensive and limited service which lacks sufficient contact with the customer.
(Southampton) - Posted 4 years ago
It was frustrating for us to hear about the service issues you’d faced with the lender and solicitors during your remortgage. As per our recent email conversation you said you were happy with how we fulfilled our role as mortgage broker for you but if you have anything further that needs addressing please come back to us.
John Charcol is rated 4.85 based on 1,871 reviews