i-to-i TEFL Reviews

Read i-to-i TEFL Reviews

georgie.smith@i-to-i.com

Suite 2
Chantry House

Tell us how i-to-i TEFL made you happy
This course gave me a lot of practical ideas that would be very useful in the classroom, though the 120 hour course that I took did not provide constant feedback from a teacher. The only feedback is at the very end, when I turned in my final lesson plan.
The course is completely based on solo learning via the computer - no support from a tutor! The course material is reasonable and good for most, especially (I would think) for those with little or no experience, as it really puts a lot of emphasis on planning and teaching styles - which is very relevant. I think, though, that more examples in the form of video clips or comments on on-line material would have been beneficial for understanding of what was actually meant in the material. Personally, I often got that understanding from my vast experience, more than from the course that actually often did not match what my experience tells me is right. I found this annoying and confusing, but a novice might not notice (he/she will later learn it the hard way from doing classes, though). Overall, the course material was good, and the online references plenty and at times almost overwhelming; (such un-commented "dishing out of links" is actually in itself bad teaching, though, which I don't hope any student will pick up for personal use in class!) The downfall was the multiple-choices tests. They had too many questions (more than 10%) that were ambiguous and could be misunderstood, because the reference was poorly explained, or they were even plain meaningless when you took more experience and knowledge into account than what precisely was covered in the course material, and not an iota outside it. Even the final test was flawed with such bad questions for such a test. Those bad questions generally took up about half of the margin for errors that the students have for making errors, in reality significantly increasing the demands for perfection in the course material in order to pass the various tests. Maybe that's relevant, but it is not a genuine way of achieving such an intent. However, the final task about making a detailed, personal work for evaluation (by a HUMAN) was relevant and delightfully realistic, and the feedback from a tutor (although it really was too late...) was valuable and inspiring, probably especially for someone who did not pass first time.
HI Mogens, thanks so much for giving us such detailed feedback on the course, we will definitely use your comments when reviewing improvements. We do have an academic team here in the office to support our students but perhaps you didn't need to use it?
Alexa
Academic Head
I am enjoying this course and learning a lot, I appreciate the fact that they are very detailed and give links to sites, PDF files to keep with the same or more information. However, I am disappointed in how unspecific some of the questions in the tests are. Overall I am happy and look forward to continuing.
Hello

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you are enjoying the course and you are finding it informative. We appreciate every kind of feedback and we are sorry you have found some of the questions unspecific in the tests. If you could please send us an email with the particular questions I will look into them.
Good luck with the rest of the course.
Alexa
Academic Head
it is teaching me about how to teach english to others.
It was quick.
they didn't. How am I to print off my TEFL certificate? They didn't send me any certificate in the mail and they didn't attach a link so I could print a copy off. How am I to show any potential employer I have a TEFL?
Hi Jesse, I'm really sorry to hear you are having problems with your certificate. You should have received details straight after passing your course so we've just sent that information on again to you now.
Very confused, Have I done all the tests required? I dont know if I have. The structure is not that clear
I completed the 120 hour course recently. The course was fine but then I would not know the quality of the course or how to compare with other courses available these days. The interface of the course could be friendlier. An example is that if you log out or leave the module at any moment and want to log back in later it does not take you to the page where you left off. Also, some of the questions can be long and the drop down menu (answers) are designed at the top of the page. So, you have to move up of the page to look at the drop down menu for selection and back down to the questions in the lower half of the page. I also purchased specialist modules through a 'bundle' and completed that one of them. Note to others: the certificate does not carry the "Ofqual" logo and I was disappointed with that. I-to-I did not mention this on their website (maybe it 's not their fault but they could have had a sample certificate on their website or made this clearer ?) and at the time of enrollment I assumed it did. I was wrong ! The only reason I took i-to-i was the accreditation by Ofqual.
i-to-i provides a cost-effective way to achieve basic certification in ESL teaching and opens the doors to initial employment opportunities.
help me improve my english,english is very important for my job
It offers a great experience,easy to navigate through the website and very eye opening.
I am still in the process of taking this course, yet sometimes feel frustrated when taking the exams. Some of the exams ask questions about material that was not mentioned or covered in the sections. Also not everyone that is taking this course is going to be working at a school. I am living in Brazil and offer private English classes, this course seems to assume everyone will be going to another country to work at a school which will supply you with guidance and a support system. Other than that I am finding this course quite helpful in my English teaching career. Thank you.
Hi,
Thanks for your comments. The quizzes are designed to review the knowledge acquired through each section of the course. Even though you are teaching private classes the materials and approaches are largely the same. If you need any advice on teaching one-to-one classes, or any other aspect of teaching, please contact us at customersupport@i-to-i.com.
The content and teaching methods are decent, although, they could set-up more activities that allow the student to practise the material being taught. One thing I found interesting was the amount of grammar mistakes in the text of the material being taught (60 hour online). Here is a copy and paste example: "Teach the vocabulary you will need for the reading task, using the techniques we covered in the Vocabulary module." Correct me if I'm wrong, but that comma between task and using is completely out of place!
It's teaching me interesting material.
TEFL has provided material and that I had before.You helped me only to systematize the knowledge on teaching English.It would be usefulto widen the techniques on teaching grammar especially for teaching adults.
So far So good
The course caters to British English. If you use American English you will lose points on quizzes. Some quizzes do not grade correctly even when giving the correct answer.
QUIZ PRIZE
Good teaching. Although very slow at times, especially on day 1. Sometimes it was frustrating to pretend to be a student of very young age because simple words would be 'drilled' for what seemed like hours but overall good insight as to what makes a good lesson.
I took the 140-Hour Combined Course...overall I thought this was a decent course. For someone like myself who had no prior experience or knowledge of teaching, I think it's a very useful course to partake in. However, I did have a few issues with it. For one, there were numerous typos and grammatical mistakes littered all throughout the course. I find this quite odd considering the course's purpose is to teach people how to teach proper English. It just makes the course look sloppy and unprofessional. I also thought the self-check quizzes were at times irrelevant to the material that was presented in the course. Some of the quizzes had questions about things that were not even taught or included in the course, which I found to be frustrating. For the 20-hour practical portion of the course, I thought the directions for the Chicago location could've been much clearer (they told me the course was located in a restaurant when it was actually in a hotel), and there definitely should've been signage noting which floor and room number the course was in. Other than that, I think it was a decent investment, their customer support was pretty fast at responding to me when I had issues and the tutor who graded my final lesson plan was also very expedient. I was told it would take up to 7 business days to get my feedback and final grade, but the tutor responded the very next day, so that was awesome.
i-to-i TEFL is rated 4.61 based on 3,247 reviews