GEM Motoring Assist Reviews

of reviewers recommend GEM Motoring Assist
Live Chat, Telephone, Email
Read GEM Motoring Assist Reviews

About GEM Motoring Assist:

Originally established in 1932 as the Company of Veteran Motorists to combat the increasing number of road accidents, GEM Motoring Assist is the UK’s leading driving based Road Safety association with around 70,000 members. We bring our members dependable, rapid round-the-clock breakdown recovery assistance, and because our schemes cover people rather than vehicles, you’ll find us a whole lot more flexible than other breakdown providers.

enquiries@motoringassist.com

Station Road

Was disappointed that I could not commence my policy at the point of leaving my existing supplier, so have a 24hr period of lapse of cover not great on holiday!
Problems with the website when paying, not a convincing start.
Dear Mr Kunduh, Thank you for posting your comment. We are sorry that you had a problem when making payment to join. We can see that everything has gone through for you. Can you let us know if you had an error page and no confirmation following clicking to pay and if you have since received our confirmation email. Many Thanks. Kind regards The GEM Team.
The App works okay UNTIL I joined then STOPPED working and has NEVER worked since. A bit of a con suspected here just to get people to join then make it IMPOSSIBLE for members to open the App. Hence IF you breakdown there is not. A hope in hell they will know where you are. I think I am considering CANCELLING membership and join a more reliable breakdown service. NOT A GOOD WAY TO WELCOME NEW MEMBERS IS IT ?
Dear Mr Kidd, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are sorry that you appear to be experiencing issues with the GEM app. Please could you contact our customer service team on 01342 825676 (Mon – Fri, 9am to 5pm) so that we can take details from you on the device you are using to enable us to investigate further as we are not aware of any current issues. Please note that if you do have the mis-fortune to breakdown when you call the 24hr helpline the operator will take as much information from you in regards to where you are in order to help locate you. These can include road numbers, names or landmarks. Kind regards The GEM Team
It is very disappointing that even with only one car in the family, two memberships are required if driving is shared between husband and wife. This makes it much more expensive and less competitive.
I was sent my Direct Debit scheme in an unsealed envelope, which means anyone could now have access to my bank details, name and address. Was not happy.
Dear Member, We apologise that you received your paperwork in an unsealed envelope. We have an automated system which seals and counts the post, of course this is spot checked but I'm sorry your envelope slipped the net. We will continue to do our best to prevent this from happening in the future. Kind Regards, The GEM team.
AA Membership expires today and I want to join GEM from midnight tonight but it has to be midnight tomorrow. I haven't broken down, I am not in need of assistance I just want to join today. What a load of tosh.
As an existing customer, who hasn't actually used the service yet, I was expecting a renewal at the cheapest possible price. In fact the renewal was over £10 more than the cost of joining by the website.
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on Reviews.co.uk. Attracting new members to GEM is something we have to work very hard at and we have found that having an introductory offer in year one improves recruitment significantly. This in turn enables us to keep our renewal prices at a rate that we believe befits the quality of our breakdown service. In fact you would have benefited from an offer when you first joined us. We wish you safe motoring. GEM customer service team
It would not accept me joining as my Dad's membership is associated with my email. It would not let me set up a diirect debit.Hard work!
Always irritating when you have to rejoin as a new account to get the best deal.
review asked to quickly !!! just received email...
I searched on Moneysupermarket.com and clicked i wanted to insure 2 drivers for breakdown cover. vut when i went through to pay it was only covering one driver.
Good Afternoon We are sorry that you encountered problem. We have tested the process of joining via Moneysupermarket but were unable to find a problem, The same price is available on www.motoringassist.com. or please drop us an email with your contact details and we will call you back and join you over the phone. We apologise for the inconvenience. The GEM Customer Services Team.
Query not answered
Could not get my engine running. Basically a fuel supply problem. Over cranked my starter which now does not work and will be have to be removed
They treat existing customers worse that existing customers by offering so called introductory offers. This is just marketing jargon for we get you in but will hike the price next year, how about just one price for new and LOYAL customers!
I have yet to use/need your services, so cannot give a rating. However, concerned to find such a hefty increase in fees for the forthcoming year. How can you justify such a rise? Having pressed the submit button I find that I have to leave a rating, which is annoying in the circumstances. Hence a poor one!
This was the first time that I have renewed my membership with GEM. The online payment system didn't work and when I rang the number provided on the Website the lady told me I had got the wrong number and that I should ring head office which I duly did. I rang at 08:55 only to get an automated message to say that the offices opened at 09:00 which seems rather late in this day and age. At 09:05 a helpful lady took my credit card details and explained that there had been problems with the on-line system since the previous day. GEM is not cheap and I chose a premium priced product thinking that the service roadside would be good. Fortunately I haven't used the roadside service yet but based on the above I will carefully think about renewing again next year.
We do appreciate the feedback we get from our members. We are extremely sorry that on this occasion your experience with GEM did not live up to the high standards that we set when it comes to Customer Service. We immediately corrected the error that you pointed out to us with regards to the phone number we were showing for assistance for members renewing online for which we sincerely apologise. There was an issue with our online payments system which took longer to fix than we had anticipated but was soon back up that day. We do thank you for renewing with us and would like to reassure you that we value our members and we will work hard to make sure this experience is not repeated. GEM Customer Service Team
Happy with the breakdown service and other benefits of the GEM policy but not happy that it cost £88 to renew it as an existing policyholder when the website price for new customers is £81.
I'm not sure why I have to pay a larger yearly premium than new customers, considering the amount of time I have been a member. I begrudgingly paid the inflated price to save myself spending money on the phone to you to rectify this. I will not be renewing again next year if this stays the same.
I am afraid that you did not score very well this year for membership renewal, as your staff appear to have adopted a disregard for the customer in the form of "lets not listen too carefully as to what they are saying!" . I e-mailed your company to explain that I could not get further than your Home Page when I logged on to renew. This occurred every day for 5 days. Though I did manage to procure the overseas cover through your site. In frustration I went next door to my neighbour to attempt access beyond the home page, alack and alas, no joy. I received and returned you staff's phone call in offering assistance, BUT! the good lady did not listen carefully as to what I was saying, she just kept on reciting a prepared speech, no good!. I was then passed on to IT who proceeded in the same vein. Now when I say very clearly that I cannot get beyond the home page, I do not want a lesson in how to log on when I cannot get there!!!. He then made a statement that the browser I choose to use may not be compatible with your systems. I came very, very, close in abandoning my membership with you. I am infuriated with the first two members of staff with their attitude, but because I believe in your company, I demanded to pay over the phone, something simple that someone could get their head around. Your second lady member of staff retrieved the day for you. But I hasten to add, if you will not be utilising certain web browsers, then please let it be known to unaware parties like myself. I remain disillusioned with GEM and will think twice next year. One hitch and I'm off. Regards Mr A Westron. membership no. 001500048880
It annoying that you can find the same cover from GEM but they are offering £20 off for new customers.How does the build brand loyalty ? if there is a a promotion this should be available to existing customers without them finding it on a price comparison web site .
GEM Motoring Assist is rated 4.69 based on 2,429 reviews