Barker and Stonehouse Reviews

Tell us how Barker and Stonehouse made you happy

Own Driver, Courier
Over a month
Over a week
"Hi there, To whoever reads this review please take it seriously as I have never received such disappointing service before. This is actually the very first bad google review that I have ever written. Their stores look beautiful but that is it I’m afraid. I’ve spent nearly £3,500 with Barker and Stonehouse and wish I hadn’t. Here is my experience. 1. The delivery guys simply dumped my dining room table and couldn’t be bothered to install it as agreed in store. I live on my own and cannot lift up a solid oak table on my own. Also it’s not your everyday tools required to put it together. I had to give up another afternoon off work so that they could come back and assemble it. 2. 4 out of the other 6 items which were delivered that day were damaged. Rather than send replacements, they sent somebody round to just touch it up with paint. Shocking considering this is brand new furniture. One of the problems is a dining table bench which clearly has not been lacquered in the same way as the other bench. This has been confirmed from the furniture specialist they sent round who agreed something’s not right. I have not heard anything back from Barker and Stonehouse on this matter. 3. I am missing 4 metal prongs which should have come with the shelving unit I ordered. These are to support the shelf. On the phone, they surprisingly had no idea which ones I needed and I’ve been sent the wrong ones twice. I still have not received them. 4. Also, one of the items that was initially delivered was incorrect. They sent me a replacement today and guess what…. it is damaged. This has been going on for weeks now and wasted 4 days off work so that I could be in for them to keep coming round and fixing their many mistakes. They are also very non-flexible with long distance deliveries (even if you do only live 2 hours away!). There is something seriously wrong here and I really do urge you to NOT order from Barker and Stonehouse."
Are you Barker and Stonehouse? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Ordered an wardrobe 10 months ago, they deliveries it after 3 months of waiting, with demanded and missing parts. Then the sales people passed us over to their useless customer service, who ordered the replacement parts, waited another 3 months, they claimed replacements damaged during the delivery, so need to order again. Went to talk to the sales, they took no responsibility, but says customer service is the only channel to resolve the issue. Ok, waited another 3 months , the replacement parts delivered, but it was the wrong part. Wooo, how this company operates is a mystery. Now asking for refund, they do not give any compensation, no reply of refund, just waiting . I hope this is the worst buying experience of my life. And please avoid yours"
"Dreadful aftercare. Damaged flooring whilst delivering furniture. I would have done a better job than the delivery drivers. I would not recommend and I have now lost trust in the company. I certainly won’t but from them again."
"The worst company I have ever had contact with. 9 months without the correct bedside tables to match wardrobes and failed deliveries (not turning up/ damaged replacements). The product was bad the customer service was on a whole other level. Broken promises, being hung up on just to name a few. It’s been a terrible experience and one I hope one I never come across again. Safe to say we will never order from barker and stone house again."
"If it was possible to give 0 they would get it.My leather reclining sofa has failed to function almost since the day it was bought.Now on my second 5 month wait for parts,part has now been misplaced and no one seems to be able to shed any light on where it is. Staff at store do not answer the telephone and do not bother to call back if you leave a message. Customer service poor. Goods not fit for purpose."
"Absolutely substandard Quality. Coffee table 10 months old and edges flaking. Customer service dire. Do not buy here"
"I seem to be in good company here saying this company is full of lying rude arrogant individual who have no idea abiu customer service or delivering the product they sell."
"Terrible experience; was rung up and told there was slight damage to my order of a glass side table, glass console table and glass nest of tables. I had to ring up three times to get the delivery - originally promised within a couple of days; finally arrived 4 weeks later. One of the nest was completely smashed. The other two BOTH had chips in them. The glass side table had a 2.5 inch piece of glass broken off - and the console table was scratched. I sent to lot back. I have had three conversations with their customer service people and have yet to be refunded despite promises after 6 weeks. No apology - central people blame the store"
"Worst company ever!!! Ordered a rug and was informed there was a three week delivery period, which was fine. However, three weeks elasped and not heard a thing so contacted Barker and Stonehouse only to find rug was discontinued so I would not be receiving it. Why was availability not checked at the time of ordering? Company breached contract of sale but happy to gain interest on my money for 4 weeks. No apology or compensation offered. Buyers beware!!!!!"
"Worst company I have ever dealt with had bad experience a few years ago said I would never shop at your store again but saw a nice coffee table I liked thought I would give you another try could not be as bad now surely how wrong was I you have gotten worse coffee table legs have lots of paint missing offered 10 pounds what an insult ignored texts promised to get in touch never do I wonder if you have anybody working in your store as every body you are told to speak to is not at work today takeing the table back to morrow as looked like I found it at the bottom of a cliff"
"RE: NAVAJOS RECLAIMED WOOD PANELLED BED FRAME, CHESTNUT We bought this bed a year ago when we moved house, we have spent an absolute fortune at B&S on furniture for a 5 bed house. I'd agree with other posts that B&S charge a fortune, which to be fair I don't mind paying if you get a quality product, unfortunately you don't and its just marketing hype! The bed is not fit for purpose, it looks great however the slat system comes undone all the time and slats pop out. The more annoying thing is the central support is far too flimsy to support the weight of the slats, a superking matress and two people. The central support ended up bending! Far cheaper Ikea beds are better designed and sturdier. I've had to buy a central support and fixings from Ikea and modified the base. It's now sturdy and doesn't creek waking me up every time I turn over! In summary, overpriced badly and badly designed. engineered!"
"Awaiting my third replacement for damaged bedroom furniture. The store gives the perception that this company sells high end products but really they are no better than some of the cheap stores that you can get similar furniture from at less than half the price! I spent a fortune on this order, and I have to say it is the worst experience I have ever had when buying furniture. My advice is to avoid B&S like the plague!"
"Store looked good. But when two wardrobes come opened 2 packs and both badly damaged. Delivery drivers weren’t exactly careful. To be fair we got full refund and after reading reviews we cancelled all of £6.5k order"
"I recently spent £4000 in Barker & Stonehouse in Gateshead. On the day that i received my 2 sofas (1 high back & 1 scatter cushions) i rang up to ask if i could possibly change the scatter cushions to high back as immediately did not like them in my living room. I was told that they would contact the manifacturer and call me back. No call back, this happened 3 times within the week following. Spoke to the store manager twice who insisted that they could only contact the manufacturer via email. Then every time I called back they said no response and they would email again. Staff were rude and not helpful. I still have not heard anything 2 months later. They were quick to take my money but you better hope your happy with your order as the after sales is very bad. I will never shop there again and would NOT recommend to anyone."
"Unfortunately the same as everyone else. damaged wardrobe base delivered in November, still waiting for a replacement. Have to chase customer services, who fob you off each time you ring them with an excuse. Still no replacement date and reading the reviews not much hope of resolving this. For the price you pay for the furniture its very disappointing"
"Disgusting customer service. Ordered our items in July- it’s december and still not here! Today we were finally expecting our delivery and they haven’t showed up.called the store and they don’t know where our order is!! Don’t go to Hove branch of barker and stonehouse. Also as a side note, dining room table we bought stains when you put anything on it- it’s a dining room table!!!! Totally useless piece of furniture and cost over 2k. In summary; poor service, expensive and defective items, terrible communication. Will NEVER use this company again"
"The worst customer service I have received.we spent £6000 on a table and buffet only for them to be delivered a month late with chips in the buffet and a table that was totally different colour from the original order.2 months later we are still waiting for replacements.the ceo ignores all emails as well as the head of customer services Paul Bates.he did say there email system was down,yet I received an email off them today. I wanted to cancel but they have me stuck.we can’t buy anything in time for Christmas. I would advise great care in parting with money to company.they are not customer focused and have drastically let my family down.i will never buy anything from here again and I will be letting friends and family know what they are like."
"We’re very upset and in dismay about the delivery of our furniture. We made an order on 27th Oct as based on their promise of pre-Christmas delivery and because we were told that items would be ready mid November. We then received a voicemail, which we still have as proof, saying that the furniture arrived to their warehouse and to call them back to arrange a delivery date. We did and the delivery was scheduled for next week, 22nd November, and we have a confirmation email from them. Today, we received an email saying that actually the delivery won’t take place until after Christmas as the furniture isn’t due to arrive in the UK until 15th December?! But they told us they had it in their warehouse ready to be delivered! So now we’re moving to our new house with no furniture: beds, mattress, wardrobe, bedside tables, chest of draws, coffee table. We went to their lovely looking shop in Leeds on two occasions, with our newborn baby, made two orders for over £4,000 and are they just lying to us now? (As new parents moving house we do have much better things to do than waste our time choosing furniture that won’t be delivered on time). We’ve lost confidence in them as a company, and it’s a shame as the furniture looked lovely and we were going to go back for more to furnish our new house! We’ve also recommended the shop to our friends who also just moved house but will need to now warn them that the company can’t be trusted!"
"This is the 3rd lot of sofas we’ve had from the Newcastle upon Tyne branch, each lot were a different lot due to poor workmanship by manufacturer. On the 1st lot the woven material started fraying within itself after a short time, the 2nd lot was leather and lasted just over a year when I decided to freshen it up by using the leather care kit given by Barker and Stonehouse, following the care kits instructions by the letter. No sooner I had gently rubbed the initial cleaning stuff off as per instructions the colour started to come off onto the cloth. I tried another piece to find the same thing happening, then another. I then give up and contacted the store. They asked me to send a photo of the problem and of the cleaning cloth, which I did. They then sent a technician out who also took photos and told me they’ll contact another party to help find out what had happened. It works out that the manufacturer hadn’t sealed the colour in and they’re surprised it hadn’t come off onto our clothing, which it hadn’t. We were told to visit the store to select another suite, which we did and now find on buying Natuzzi sofas, supposedly a good make, the colour has come off the end of the arm and seats have sunk, this is just after 1 year of use! That’s 3 lots of 2 sofas and everyone has had problem, not of our making. Barker and Stonehouse have sent a technician-we were told it would be a Natuzzi technician but was from their own maintenance side and was very curt with us and more or less calling my husband a liar saying he didn’t change seats when sitting, which he did every time. We are both pensioners and are angry at Barker and Stonehouses’ attitude with us, hinting it’s our fault this has happened! They are, however, as a course of goodwill going to paint/colour the arm end and plump the seats up again. I now wish I’d never heard of Barker and Stonehouse as through their rubbish quality merchandise and attitude problem, we’re stuck with inferior quality goods. Also I will add that their CS is shocking once they’ve got your money as they don’t want to know, so avoid at all costs."
Barker and Stonehouse is rated 1.60 based on 43 reviews