Allied Vehicle Rentals Reviews

of reviewers recommend Allied Vehicle Rentals
Read Allied Vehicle Rentals Reviews

Moulsham Lodge Garage, Gloucester Avenue,

Tell us how Allied Vehicle Rentals made you happy
I booked a 7.5 ton lorry for the 14th December as I was moving house on that day. When I arrived I was told that it wasn’t back yet and they can’t get in touch with the person whose got the truck. I explained that I needed it to move home and that any delay would cost me money and she said “it’s not my fault. She said to give her 10 minutes to see if she could sort something out. When I went back in to the office she said that after speaking with the person that had the truck he would bring it back by 12, this wasn’t good enough and I asked for a full refund which they gave me. This is the 2nd time this has happened with this company but the last time they gave me 2 Luton’s so that I could move.Thankfully I managed to sort another truck out with auto express. If you want a 7.5 ton truck then don’t use this company they will let you down with zero customer service.
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your feedback.

We apologise for the inconvenience. This was due to the previous hirer not returning to the vehicle to us on time. Unfortunately, the hirer had kept the vehicle and was in Birmingham so there was not a way we could retrieve it from them. Our branch manager offered alternative vehicles but this was not accepted. We apologise for the inconvenience, however, this was out of our hands on this occasion.

Thank you.
After picking up the van, I found a pair of used clinical PPE gloves in the dash compartments and door. Clearly the vans are not cleaned before hand over, which is especially important during a Covid pandemic.

Speaking as a Covid test site Manager, I was shocked to say the least. I believe the department of health needs to investigate.
I hope my opinion does matter, here is the feed back on the Luton I hired on the 12th Nov 2020.

In summary the worst van I have ever hired ! Even your employee said when I complained to her when I returned it “It’s had a life that van and probably needs throwing away”

So what was wrong with the van ?

It was absolutely filthy inside and out including being covered in soil in the back that I had to sweep out first. See the attached photos.

The left hand indicator has a bulb out.

No washer fluid

No indicator on top of the gearstick, not very convenient when the first time I had to reverse was when a dust cart was coming the other way ! See photo

The gearbox is very stiff and the only way to change down quickly was to double de-clutch.

The tail lift is wired the wrong way round, lower is raise and raise is lower.

The overall height sign was missing.

All in all a very poor experience
Slow service. Vehicles in need of repair. Would not recommend
I advise people not to hire their 4.5 ton truck as the one we had was very stiff to get into gear, 1st and 2nd required 2 hands and reverse almost needed 2 people. Truck was also very dirty.
Thank you for your feedback i am sorry you have not had a good experience, regarding the 7.5 ton truck. If you would care to contact us so we can identify and check the vehicle. However all the Mercedes trucks can be a little stiff as it is a large truck. Getting them in to reverse can be a knack, if you are not used to driving a truck. We run a mix of both auto and manual 7.5 tons and all have been going out back to back over the last few weeks, no issues have been reported, all the trucks are inspected as per the 6 weekly PMI inspections as per the requirements of VOSA
After booking a while ago, we were let down on our booking at the last minute by Allied which really messed us up for a pre-arranged delivery. It cost us an afternoon trying to sort it out and also cost us financially to have to sort something out at the last minute. Not great customer service from our point of view.
Thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately, the previous customer did not return the vehicle to us so we were unable to provide this to you. This was due to a late completion on a house sale and the customer had their belongings in that vehicle. As soon as we were aware of the situation we contacted you and offered an alternate vehicle. We apologise for the inconvenience but sometimes things are outside our control.
The owner is rude over the phone when trying to make a booking. Just because he woke up wrong side of the bed. This has happened on numerous occasions. So in the end I stopped hiring.
Brakes failed - narrowly avoided an accident. Luckily at 30mph and not on the motorway!

My father in law hired a car for us on 18 July from the Brentwood branch.
The next day I drove the car to Norfolk. I could hear a grating noise and it got very loud when braking. I could feel the vibration on the brake pedal.
I called Allied on the 20th and advised them of the noise. As I was in Norfolk for a week on holiday, I was told that a mechanic would call and come by. No one called.
I called Allied again on the 27th morning. I was told that the manager would call me back. No one called.
On the 29th I drove to Lincolnshire. Still no one called.

On 4 August, I was driving in Marlborough. I was braking for a pedestrian crossing in a 30mph zone. The car didn’t slow down. I did an emergency stop with the brake and saw (and felt) something fly out of the tyre. The car did not stop. It went past the pedestrian crossing. I had to pull the handbrake to stop the car.
The pedestrians were scared. My wife was screaming and my children were crying.
I was braking on amber. If I had arrived later and braked on a red light people would have been crossing the road. I would have hit them.
I had been driving on motorways and country roads for days. The brakes could have failed then. My family and I could have been involved in a major accident.
I drove to a safe place using the handbrake and called the AA.
The AA repairman was shocked when he saw the brake pads and discs. His exact words were “who the hell serviced this car!”.
He had to drive and get replacement parts. He came back and took of the brake pads. It was down to the metal. He had to hammer of the discs as they had eroded and were stuck. The disc was heavily grooved due to metal on metal contact I.e. pad had been worn down for awhile.
The brake fluid container appeared empty. He had to push the fluid all the way back. This was a sign that the fluid had not been topped up. Also a proper service would have picked up the empty brake fluid container and replaced the pads and discs accordingly. The repair took 3 hours in total. Time I could have been on holiday with my family instead of waiting for a repair and counting my lucky stars that no one got hurt.
Just after calling the AA I called Allied - no answer. I wrote an email detailing what happened. No response or a call to date.

The car was not road worthy. The service has been non existent. I had to give one star in order to write this review. If I could, I would have given negative stars.

I hope this is a one off incident for them. It could have been a deadly incident for my family and I.
Absolutely disappointed. Was greeted Thursday morning at Brentwood by a miserable guy (Paul) who gave the impression he didn’t want to be there!, only to be told there was no van for us as it was dropped off at Chelmsford! NOT my problem. was told I would have to wait or go to Chelmsford to collect. I booked the van 3 weeks in advance to avoid any problems on the day of our move. Fortunately managed to find a local company willing to help us out at short notice. Will never use ALLIED again! What an unprofessional approach to logistics and customers.
Dear R. Paddock,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with Allied Vehicle Rentals.

We regret that you were not prepared to wait a short while for a member of staff to fetch the van from our other premises and thus went elsewhere.

Following your feedback we will endeavour to improve the efficiency of this particular service.

Kind regards,
Allied Vehicle Rentals Ltd
The car was delivered extremely dirty, both inside and outside, particularly inside it was filthy and I did not realise how bad until I had driven the car away.
The petrol policy I don't find acceptable. The car is not delivered full as with most car rental agencies and you are expected to return the car at the same level. In my case the car was marked as "two bars" but immediately I drove away it gave a tank empty warning. I put two much petrol in the car and so when I returned it, it was still half full, so basically Allied got a free half tank of petrol.
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear your experience with Allied Vehicle Rentals was not satisfactory. Following your feedback we will see if any changes need to be made to our petrol policy.
Our cars are regularly cleaned - we understand that a dirty car negatively impacts your trip. We will look into the matter to make sure this won't be repeated. Kind regards, Allied Vehicle Rentals
The worst rental company! Hired a van for 1 day. Broke down within 15-20 minutes of driving away and had to return to change van over. Upon return of van not even 24 hours later found they had killed the battery on my car so it would not start and have had a collision causing damage to my front bumper, number plate, grill and badge. All staff including the owner/boss had denied that it could have been them and all damages were caused by myself. PATHETIC! AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!

Shortly after leaving the above review and a review on their website I was called being abused and having my car called a "sh*tty little car" and have had accusations of leaving "b*llsh!t" reviews trying to make money when at no point did I try to claim for money but just wanted the truth. I also mentioned that all I wanted was an apology and nothing more. Conversation started with a very hostile and defensive tone I was being told that I am "chatting crap" rather than trying to resolve the issue at hand which would have been achieved by a simple apology. They also threatened to contact all other hire companies they are linked with and blacklist me due to this review being left. Phone conversation is recorded! Again just to make it clear, I never claimed for any money all I asked for was for them to admit to the truth and apologise - instead all I received was abuse.
Gave me much larger van than I wanted, Van driver door didnt work, cigarette lighter didnt work so couldn't use satnav and worst of all one of the front lights didn't work. Picked up van at 11:30 am, returned it next day 10 am and got charged for 2 days, never got called back my managing director as promised. By far the worst rental experience I've ever had, firm is a bunch of mediocre cowboys.
Allied Vehicle Rentals is rated 4.63 based on 364 reviews