Hastings Direct Reviews

50% of reviewers recommend Hastings Direct

How would you rate Hastings Direct ?

"Waited half an hour only to be cut of, twice. After an hour and half of waiting on hold finally got through to someone about my renewal price, which was considerably more than last year. Told them a quote I had which was £100 less and they couldn't even match it and came back with another price that was £100 more than my renewal price. Can safely say I turned that down and won't be using them again as there is no loyalty towards existing customer"
"Waited an half an hour to be put through to someone only to get cut off, twice. When I did finally get through after an hour and half of waiting the spokesperson couldn't have been any less helpful. Glad to say I chose not to renew with them and never will I insure my van with them again"
"I have had the most terrible experience with Hastings direct. Following accepting a renewal quote, Hastings accidentally cancelled my policy leaving me with no insurance. I was told they were unable to rectify the problem despite taking whole responsibility for the error. They told me I would have to pay double the original renewal quote. After 5 days with no insurance and being told that it is illegal if I drive my car and that there is nothing they can do to rectify the mistake. I logged a complaint and after 5 days I am still without car insurance and I am yet to hear anything from the complaints team. The customer care is atrocious. By far the worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with. If you want a good quality insurance company with good customer care, do not insure with Hastings direct!"
"Update. Well I have returned for another vent regarding the allegation that I modified my vehicle, even though I had my car fixed last year after an accident that wasn't my fault. No reply to my email I sent to the underwriters (surprise, surprise). Then yesterday, I received a notification on the website about my upcoming renewal. So the underwriters are unable to offer me a quote! Funny that! Hastings Direct, you are a bunch of cowboys! I'll be calling the ombudsman in the morning. The bad reviews about this company are going through the roof. What are you going to do about all these complaints Hastings Direct?"
"worst van insurance ever ! avoid at all costs!"
Hello there,

I'm sorry to see you have had such a negative experience dealing with our Van insurance. I do apologise for any inconvenience we have caused you.

Emma Whysall
Verified Reviewer
"young drivers. Do not get insured with this company, they cost me hundreds of pounds by cancelling my daughter's insurance. complete nightmare. read the reviews don't do it!."
Hi there,

I'm sorry to see you have had such a negative experience with your daughters insurance. Having to cancel your policy must have been very frustrating for you and we do apologise for any issues caused.

~ Jamie
"Been trying to get through on the phone to cancel my renewal, complete joke, after going through multiple menus and listening to a load of legal jargon you get put on hold forever, you don't know where you are in the queue or how much longer you might have to wait. The phone line no. They give you is a chargeable rate, so while they keep you waiting forever they are charging you. Certainly won't be using or recommending them at any time in the future. Will keep trying to get through, fingers crossed."
Hi there,

I'm sorry to see you have been having so many issues getting through to our team. I can only imagine how frustrating this has been for you. We do have a free phone number that you can call us on if you haven't managed to get through to us which is 0333 321 9790. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

~ Jamie
"Absolutely atrocious service!! Cancelled my policy before it had even started! Got a letter through saying ‘we tried to send you a document, it didn’t arrive so we’ve attached it to this letter’ ... and there was nothing attached to the letter. So I rung up to say ‘hey haven’t got it, can I please have it?’ That was call 1... got hung up on. Tried again... call 2 (said the same thing) got hung up on. Then I was in a queue so I tried online chat... she rung me when I asked and I got to talk to an extremely nasty woman who told me ‘not to speak to her like that as it’s not her fault’... yet she works in complaints. Told her I wanted my Money back... got sniggers and nasty comments. When I told her she needed to sort her attitude out SHE LAUGHED at me!?? What the hell customer service is that!? Full refund coming back, I have 2 days to go elsewhere. DO NOT GO TO HASTINGS DIRECT."
Hi Lauren,

I am very sorry to see you have had a poor experience. We always strive to deliver excellent customer service here at Hastings Direct, so it is always disappointing to hear we have fallen short of those expectations. As the case has been in the hands of our complaints department, I can hope we offer you a satisfactory resolution to your concerns. If not, the nest step would be to contact the Financial Ombudsman. Once again please accept our sincerest apologies for any distress caused.

~Connor
"Absolutely the biggest rip off ever!!!there fully comprehensive insurance is basically third party fire and theft it has no windscreen cover even though every other fully comprehensive insurance does as standard and you can not drive another vehicle either be aware it is not fit for any purpose ..... stay clear policy cancelled"
Hi,

we offer windscreen cover on all of our policies, except for Hastings Essential. This policy is our "bare-bones" and cheapest policy on offer, with the required cover, but no added benefits. We do have a wide range of other products on offer which may be more suitable for your needs.

Paul Phillips
Verified Reviewer
"Having big problems with windscreen claim Nationwide Motor Glass have fitted wrong windscreen and cut through the microphone for my hands free Parrot phone and now Nationwide wont do any thing and cant get in contact with Hastings by phone or email to get this sorted"
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you have had issues regarding your windscreen. I can only imagine how frustrating this must have been for you. Just to make sure you have the correct contact details they are: 0333 321 9665 and email address is help@hastingdirect.com (they can take up to 72hrs to reply).

~ Jamie
"Had my first RTA the 3 days ago. Phoned to report it and not even asked if myself or anyone else was ok which thought would of been nice. Details given over phone then then passed to auxillis. They are a joke. They sorted garage out only for garage to say no we got no courtsey cars. It was then referred to the location team to find alternative garage. That was another day. Found garage called phoenix. They send estimator out and they reckon it could be a write off. Yeah right. Car still at my house. Anyway im paying for a policy which gives me courtsey car which I still have not got. I am unable to go to work until stuff is sorted out as I cant sort stuff out at work on mobile. Will not be renewing next time"
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you have had problems whilst dealing with our claims team. I completely agree with you though that compassion should have been shown in your circumstance. Auxillis are our approved repairers and sometimes we have to pass vehicles to third parties if they have no garages in the area, I can see why this would have been frustrating for you though. In regards to your courtesy car, they are only offered if your vehicle is repairable as we have a timescale of when you should be back on the road, if your car is a total loss we wouldn't know when you would get a replacement hence not being entitled to one. I really do apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

~ Jamie
"Changed car details £25 charge (agree). 2 monthly payments left to pay, you have just more than doubled my 2 original payments from £70pm to £164pm. Unbelievable Would be cheaper for me to cancel this for £45 and start again with quote I'm getting from elsewhere."
Hi, I am sorry to see we didn't come in as cheap as you would have liked. Hopefully we can provide you with a great quote and saving at renewal to convince you to stay

~Connor
"Be very careful with this company as they will try to rip You off from the start by filing wrong value of your car in a questionnaire .When you got paperwork and try to fix it, they will aply £50 fee. Job for financial conduct authority. .."
Hi Bob,

I'm sorry for any mistake on this end which caused this poor experience with us. We appreciate the frustration the increase in price would have caused, this was likely to be a reflection of the premium required to cover the details had they been this way from the start. There is a £25 admin fee and the remainder would have been premium to cover the correction. I hope that this issue has since been resolved. If you do need any assistance concerning this, please contact us on help@hastingsdirect.com. We'll do all we can to assist you

-Theo
"Having just made a claim am very nervous after reading the reviews :(... it took auxillis 5’days to pass my details to the garage.... my journey begins!! I hope I am not asked to pay a credit card deposit at the garage what’s that about never heard such anything all I’ve been told to leave is the excess?? Please I hope this goes smoothly from now"
Hi Fiona, if you have any claim queries, please call our team free on 0333 321 9800 and they will be happy to answer all of your questions.

~Connor
"This company is absolutey terrine no phone contact after 25 calls told someone would call me back 4 times but never heard a thing now they have sent my no claims and it is wrong! They have given me a year short should be 10 year but only says 9 avoid like the plague 25 phone calls 22 emails and just got my policy cancelled now and nobody will answer my queries about my no claims discount the worst company I have ever dealt with and never again!"
Hi Aaron, if you contact the team on customerservice@hastingsdirect.com and request a bespoke no claims documentation they will be able to provide this for you.

~Connor
"This company's customer service is an absolute joke. Been trying to sort out *their* mistake on my account for almost a month now and not getting anywhere, everyone I speak to is very polite and promises a call back but as soon as the phone is down, nothing happens! No returned calls, no response to email. Cancelling as soon as possible, they weren't even the cheapest guys around, I made the mistake of thinking a 'big name' might have been a better choice, won't make that mistake again!"
Hi, I am very sorry to hear there have been continued issues with your policy. If they are still ongoing, please help@hastingsdirect.com so we can look to get the matter resolved as soon as possible.

~Connor
"I wish I could give their claims department a zero right now. Someone made a claim against me recently, saying I hit their car, which I am fighting. Now Hastings are saying I've modified my car ( try spelling my name right for a start), even though I was shunted from behind last year. I bought the car/salvage back and had to have work done on the rear of my car including a new bumper, so no, my car hasn't been modified, just fixed! Communication between their teams is appalling. They already have this information and photos etc. from the assessor who came round to inspect the damage. This company has caused me a huge amount of stress, so I make no apologies for the email I sent putting them straight. I wish I had chosen another insurance company now. Agree with another post, they are cheap for a reason."
I am very sorry to see you have had a poor claim experience so far. If you contact us on help@hastingsdirect.com with your claim reference number we can look to arrange assistance for you.

~Connor
"I had tried to contact Hastings for over a week (calling on many occasions without success) to let them know my car insurance would not be renewed. After hanging on again, with no idea how many were in front of me, I finally got through one day after another 45 min wait. I advised that I would not renew my policy which had a few days left to run to be told it would have to be cancelled and would incur a cancellation fee as it was a MID TERM cancellation which it was not (a few days to run and their terminology is MID TERM). I just was not renewing the policy. I asked to speak to a manager and was "talked at" by the rude and unpleasant Anna the manager who abruptly told me I had four days to pay then it would be passed to debt recovery. I advised her that I was making an official complaint. I wanted it logged, as such, formally. She advised their Resolutions Team had six weeks to resolve the complaint. I then received two emails from Hastings within minutes, one from their Operations Director and the other from Head of Customer Services, both recording exactly the same information, informing me that I had seven days to pay or it will go to the Debt Recovery Team which would incur more charges if not paid. There is no mention of my dispute with them in the documentation. How can you deal with people who will not give answerable e-mail addresses, you spend hours on the phone with no resolution and the chat facility when it's not too busy cannot be used to discuss this kind of issue. I am 65 have an unblemished credit rating so where do I sit with this now? Bullyboy tactics towards a female senior citizen. These people are unscrupulous, uncaring and the worst form of human behaviour I have ever come across. I expect they will answer this by saying we're sorry you're frustrated .................... Frustrated is not how I feel - I feel very very angry. A zero rating is too high a score for this company. Their TV advert is spot on. King Harold is the customer and we all know what the Seagull does. Such a pathetic company and from my experience pathetic employees. And as for the clown who may or may not reply to this review - save your breath - your lies sorry apologies are meaningless. Anyone reading this tell your friends "Beware" but don't tell your enemies - you'll have much fun knowing the misery they'll experience dealing with this company."
Hi, I am very sorry to see you feel as though you have had such a poor experience. If you just wanted your policy to lapse, rather than a cancellation, then of course you should not have had to pay the cancellation fee. However, if you did not still own the vehicle, it is against regulation to hold a policy against a vehicle not you are not the registered keeper of, which is perhaps why we may have had to cancel the policy early. Now the case is the hands of our experienced complaints department I am confident they can provide you with a satisfactory resolution.

~Connor
"Worst insurance ever wish I could of giving zero phoned to cancel my policy been with them for 3 years and they saying now I owe them money 😂😂😂😂 stay clear of them any one please just con you thanks Carlo"
Hi there,

Thank you for leaving this review. I'm sorry to see you had so many issues when cancelling your policy. Without looking at your policy it would be hard to say why there was monies outstanding, if you call our Customer Service team though they would be more than happy to explain if you not too sure. They can be contacted on 0333 321 9801.

~ Jamie
"Do not insure with this company. Having tried to claim for repairs to my car it was 3 months before I eventually got the go ahead. This followed a ridiculous amount of phone calls with excuse after excuse and any issue they could invent to delay the claim. Unfortunately the garage that carried out the repairs then had to wait a further 4 months before getting paid, again having to make numerous phone calls and each time being palmed off and wasting hours of time. Then came the biggest joke of the lot, my renewal quote. I was sent my renewal notice and despite having paid for protected no claims the renewal was approximately £1,000 more than the previous years policy coming in at a bargain £1,342.61. My protected no claims payments were obviously worth the money!! I have now insured my car with another company and a saving of over £960 on Hastings joke renewal. Looking at the other reviews from claimants as well as my experience, look elsewhere, you've been warned."
Hastings Direct is rated 3.02 based on 1,481 reviews