Hastings Direct Reviews

Tell us how Hastings Direct made you happy

Over a week
customer service
Featured Review
This review is set as featured by the company.
"Always bean good might take a bit of time to get through but once through so helpful sticking with them"
"I changed insurance to another vertually same car as I had before, insurance went up by nearly 50% which was bad enough, but have now found out from my phone bill that calling to make this change cost me £56.66 in call charges, that is outrageous in my opinion."
"Dreadful service . I phoned yesterday to try to add my son to my policy. The system would not do this and after an hour of being kept on hold I was told there was a system error and it could not be done. I was then told that Hastings direct would look into the matter and would phone me back after midday. Of course nobody phoned me back. I phoned again this morning. This time I was told that I had made 3 changes to my policy, added 3 drivers and so it wouldn’t let me add any more than three. I hadn’t , I had added 1 named driver for 1 week during the time of the policy. Nowhere in my policy documents or T&Cs does it say I am limited to adding no more than 3 drivers and the lady at Hastings direct said that also she couldn’t find that anywhere in the policy or ts & cs. In the end I have had to cancel my policy and get a refund, at a time of year I can ill afford to pay for more car insurance. I have been given £50 compensation for my trouble but I had to really hassle for that and won’t get it for 7- 10 working days. So this company have not fulfilled their policy, have not made me aware of terms and conditions of the policy and have caused me considerable inconvenience. I really wouldn’t bother to insure with them. There have to be companies out there who at least can tell you what you can do and can’t do when you insure with them . NOT HAPPY."
"As much I was happy with Hastings, I was disappointed they could not insure my new car. However I have been with them for nearly 6/7 years and have always had a good deal. 2 Stars because they pushed me to an expensive insure"
Hi there,

Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear we was unable to offer you cover on your new vehicle, and it is disappointing that we have lost your custom after several years. Sometimes, the insurers for your policy are unable to offer a policy due to there own risks and trends based on the vehicle you are covering, but I can appreciate this is an inconvenience.

~ Harriot
"Make sure the renewal price is the same as your online price."
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear the price online was different from your renewal quotation. The renewal quote is sent 28 days prior to the renewal date, however online quotes are based on daily pricing which can change and fluctuate. Also, some online quotes may include different excess, cover, use or benefits which can also effect the premium.

~ Harriot
"Awful service!! I've been getting charged for a policy that I cancelled last Dec! No apology. I've had to go out of my way to get dvla proof that I sold the vehicle even tho it was Hastings fault. After around 6 long phone calls and being messed around, I'm still waiting for a refund. Not impressed! I'll never use Hastings again."
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your review. I am very sorry to hear this has happened, and I apologise for any inconvenience or frustration that this has caused you. If you have still not received your refund after the 3-5 working day time frame, it may be worth calling the team who will be able to check this and re-issue if necessary. I hope this gets resolved quickly for you.

~ Harriot
"Under no circumstances use the Live chat, they do not keep any records of the live chats despite making sure they tell you that your call is recorded for training purposes, LIVE CHAT!!! they don't keep them, so if you need to recall your live chat after being given incorrect information by their live chat staff, don't hold your breath they won't be able to find the information (unless it is in their favour I'm sure). Then when you make a complaint they will tell you that you need to provide evidence, Errrm records from the live chat! oh! that's right, they don't keep them or are so inept that they can't find them how convenient!!! A once loyal customer now will be shouting my disappointment at every opportunity starting here. Terrible Company, terrible customer services, treats loyal customers terribly."
Hi there,

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you have received poor customer service, we do have records of our live chat information and data so this does seem strange. If you feel you have been treated unfairly, and would like this situation investigate further, you can click here https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/customer-complaints.shtml to log a complaint with our customer relations team. I hope you get the situation resolved soon.

~ Harriot
"My car insurance was with Hastings and was £400 per year. I phoned to add my partner on to the policy who is a mature driver with over 30 years no claims. Hastings quoted over £600 to add my partner with only a few months left on the policy. I then went and got competitive quotes from other companies and these companies charged only £150 to add another driver for a full year. Hastings attitude is that once they have signed you up they can overcharge as it will cost you to change to another company. Hastings are now charging £78.69 to cancel my policy, which after the ridiculous quote they gave me shows that they are not interested in customer service it all about how much money they can get away with charging. I will never use them again they are just con artist!"
Hi there,

Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear you found our mid-term adjustment cost uncompetitive, and I can appreciate your frustration with the cancellation charges. We try to be as transparent as possible when disclosing the cancellations fees at the start, and they are also all in our terms and conditions here https://www.hastingsdirect.com/legal/terms-and-conditions.shtml

Thanks ~ Harriot
"Absolutely appalling company, I have been insured through Hastings for years and they charged me £91 for adding my son on temporary for 10 days. Will be leaving Hastings. One too many stars. I've just read the reviews and didn't realise they were such a bad company!!"
Hi there,

Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear you have found our prices uncompetitive, temporary cover is based on the driver your coverings details and will include a £25 mid term fee. I do apologise if this has caused you any frustration, and I will pass on your feedback.

~ Harriot
"One star too many in my opinion!! Joke of a company. It isn't even my insurance company but the insurance company of them gentleman who's exhaust fell off in front of me and wrecked my car. After admitting liability (TWICE) (after eventually getting through to someone) they then wanted me ring around garages to attempt to get quotes for the repairs AND how much they would charge for storage despite my car not been drivable. (Surely this is the job of the insurance company) But hey after going with the flow and spending a few hours on the phone trying to sort something out they then rang back to announce that they had changed their minds and decided they were not liable!!!!!! In total i must have spent 5 hours on the phone that day ringing around (the most of the time however was spent either waiting for someone at Hastings to answers the phone or re explaining the situation time after time). The Moral of the story if you intent to use this company READ THE REVIEWS - they tell it all."
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced whilst making a claim against our insurer, and I do apologise for any frustration or wasted time this caused you. If you feel you have been treated unfairly, and the situation has still not been resolved you can register a complaint regarding your service here https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/customer-complaints.shtml where our team will investigate this thoroughly for you. I hope this helps, and that you get the situation resolved quickly.

~ Harriot
"Very bad customer service. They try to exploit existing customers on renewal. CHANGED COMPANY, got better cover for 200 pounds less."
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your review. I am sorry to hear our renewal price for you this year was uncompetitive, pricing tends to change daily so over the year there can be a huge difference on the yearly quotations. We do however, have a team of renewals agents who are able to look into the quote, and see if we can offer anything cheaper with a different underwriter, or cover type.

~ Harriot
"They took my car after someone hit it while I was at work. It took them 2 days to drop off a car that had 2 bold tyres. They sent my my car to a back street garage that made a right mess. The manager at the repair shop agreed it was a mess and they would do it again. The second attempt was even worse and axillis told me to take the car from the repairers and they would send out an assessor. The assessors came out and agreed that it was a mess. I was then asked to take the car to another repair shop who laughed and said they wouldn’t touch it. This went on for another 3 garages and I ended up selling the car as damaged at a £2000 loss. 3 months of hell and 2grand out of pocket. Axillis said they would give me £1500 of the 2grand I’ve lost but then backed out. Hastings (my insurance company) won’t have nothing to do with it. Now I’ve got a legal battle and my only bit of good luck is that it’s not going to cost me anything to do this."
Hi Shane,

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear you have had so many problems regarding your claim and the damages to the vehicle. Our team would be more than happy to investigate this for you, and come to a resolution to get this resolved. You can click here to register a formal complaint https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/customer-complaints.shtml as the situation has caused you distress, and our trained team will look into this for you. I hope this helps, and the situation gets resolved quickly.

~ Harriot
"I used my car & home insurance, never ever again! Not only did they try to automatically renew my home and car insurance, even though a requested at the start of the year not to. They doubled the cost! The only way you can cancel it is by waiting for over an hour on the phone,cut off after 30mins x2 (13pm)...... both occasions. AVOID!!!!!!!AVOID HASTINGS DIRECT!!"
Hi there,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear your request to have automatic renew taken off was not completed, and I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you. Whilst the only way to cancel is via the phone, providing you have had cover elsewhere since the renewal date our team will issue you a full refund for any premium taken. I hope you get the situation resolved swiftly, we are currently putting measures in place to improve on the wait times so hopefully you will notice an improvement.

~ Harriot
"I strongly advice to everyone please be warned and aware to buy any policy from hastings direct. It's a trap and I would say a "fraud" what happened to me it's a long story which I'm going to take them court for legal proceedings as I have all the proofs. They just trap people to rob them and I'm one of the victim. Please please stay away from them. Tahseen"
Hi there,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear you have had a poor experience whilst being insured with us, and it is disappointing that we have not provided you with the service we strive for. I hope you get the situation resolved swiftly, or if you still need to log a formal complaint you can do so by clicking here https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/customer-complaints.shtml

~ Harriot
"Avoid, avoid, avoid... Absolute useless customer service.. tried to charge me ridiculous premium for two simple mistakes even when making new quote with corrected details was cheaper!! I was still within 14 days so I paid £20 fee and said good by to them. Later on it emerged (I called them to ask for documents) they couldn't process refund to my card (because they mixed my card with my partners name!!) and without contacting us they send the cheque (probably to wrong name too). I did a little research and it seems the only place they don't have bad reviews is their official rating site "Feefo". Everywhere else they got 3stars max. After all that experience I decided to go for different insurer. I paid slightly more but at least I will be sleeping better. I don't want to know how they handle the claims if they cant even handle simple administration tasks."
Hi James,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear you were not informed your refund would be sent via cheque, and I do apologise for the inconvenience. We have to process the refund via cheque, if we are unable to put it back onto the previous card. I hope the situation has now been resolved for you, and hopefully, should you need to contact us again you will have a better experience.

~ Harriot
"Customer service was terrible, Cut me off after 30 minutes on hold. Chat disconnected me twice when the agent appeared to be done with the conversation (issue was not resolved, was getting a quote for a new policy). When asked to speak to someone else this was refused. They made it as difficult as possible to change my policy. Never go with them, as they work as an intermediary they find any excuse to end your policy and lose your no claims so they can charge you more in the long run. They have not replied to my email, they have not apologised for the appalling service, there has been no help from themselves to resolve any of my queries. They are purely there to flog you a policy, take your money and shift to the next person, they are not there to help in the slightest."
Hi there,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear you have had such difficulty contacting us, and I do apologise that you did not receive the service we strive to provide. If you are still wanting to speak with our live chat team, you can do so by clicking here https://www.hastingsdirect.com/contact-us/ The email turnaround response is around 72 hours, so I hope you hear from the team soon. If you have still not had an correspondence, please do not hesitate to speak with live chat or call us.

~ Harriot
"i have been in accident that's not my fault i have been trying to contact there repair company 4 times each time they say that my fill not been up load in told that it been faxed over last monday today saturday 1/12/2018 i have been on the phone 3 times to hasting direct and on to repairs 3 times and still on fill up load the promise to ring back in a hour 12.41 lets see what happens. it is not very good service so far"
Hi Cyrus,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Sorry to hear your claim has still not been sent over to the repair team, and I do apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you. It may be worth calling our customer service team to see what is going on, or you can speak with live chat by clicking here https://www.hastingsdirect.com/contact-us/ I hope the situation gets resolved for you.

~ Harriot
"Worst customer service. The people on the phones don't have a clue and neither do the company. You go round in circles every time. If you have a problem with your windscreen you get through to 1 of 2 companies who then don't communicate with each other. Also, my claim disappeared into thin air. Hastings Direct didn't care and neither did the windscreen companies. They may be cheap but they are awful. As soon as I had to actually deal with them it was the worst experience and when it came to renew my policy I couldn't wait to go elsewhere. Let's face it, no car insurance company is worth the money you pay them but these guys are exceptionally good at being terrible."
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Sorry to hear you have experienced poor service from our team, and it is disappointing that we have lost your custom due to this. I hope the claim has now been settled for you, and hopefully in the future you would look to re-insure with us.

~ Harriot
"I was involved in a non fault accident with a driver insured by Hastings Direct. To his credit the driver immediately admitted liability. My vehicle was declared total loss. To avoid legal costs I tried to deal directly with Hastings. Even after more than an hour, some telephone calls were not answered. When they were, I was transferred repeatedly, on hold for unacceptably periods of time, was rarely able to speak to the same person twice and on occasion spoken to very rudely. Promised manager callbacks didn’t happen. My complaint was not responded to despite emailing it four times and on each occasion receiving an automated receipt. The Ombudsman couldn’t help because I wasn’t Hastings customer. The payment offered for my vehicle was less than two thirds of its value and I had to fight hard to be offered a more realistic payment. 14 months after the accident I am still fighting for my hire vehicle costs and telephone charges which, because some of their numbers are premium cost, have alone mounted to almost £150. I am exasperated at the levels this company will stoop to to avoid payment hat I have been advised I am legally entitled to. I am now in the process of appointing a solicitor to deal with a personal injury claim. Sad that an industry that complains about accident victims jumping on the gravy train to claim compensation can not treat those people who do not file personal injury claims fairly and with a little respect. Please read other reviews about Hastings, while they appear to offer a competitive cost for some of their motor policies, god help you if you are involved in an accident."
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the service Hastings' have provided you as a third party, and I apologise if you have not had any responses to your complaints. We have a specialised team equipped to deal with this, so if you would still like to get this looked into, you can click here to log a formal complaint https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/customer-complaints.shtml and our team will come to a reasonable resolution for you once they have investigated.

~ Harriot
"People need to be aware of this company, the phone app has no facility to cancel your policy. They are extremely difficult to get hold of via telephone (my experience). £45 cancellation fee, plus an additional months premium if you are even one day into it. The experience that I have had with this company was very bad, they make it difficult to leave them and have all sorts of charges that are not well advertised. Sometimes the cheapest quote is not always the cheapest. I am a very unhappy consumer as I feel I have been badly misled. I complaint is being registered with the company and I will also be taking the matter up with the Ombusman."
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I am very sorry to hear you have had difficulty contacting us to cancel your renewal, currently we are only able to process cancellations this way as we require verbal confirmation. I do however, appreciate your frustration as we have been experiencing high call volumes. I will ensure to pass on your feedback, and I hope you get the outcome you are looking for.

~ Harriot
"One star too many in my opinion!! Joke of an insurance company. It isn't even my insurance company the insurance company of them gentleman who's exhaust fell off in front of me and wrecked my car. After admitting liability (TWICE) (after eventually getting through to someone) they then wanted me ring around garages to attempt to get quotes for the repairs AND how much they would charge for storage despite my car not been drivable. (Surely this is the job of the insurance company) But hey after going with the flow and spending a few hours on the phone trying to sort something out they then rang back to announce that they had changed their minds and decided they were not liable!!!!!! In total i must have spent 5 hours on the phone that day on the phone ringing around (the most of the time however was spent either waiting for someone at Hastings to answers the phone or re explaining the situation time after time). The Moral of the story if you intent to use this company READ THE REVIEWS - they tell it all."
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I am very sorry to hear you were involved in an accident, and I do apologise for the poor service you have experienced whilst going through the claims process. It may be worth speaking with your case handler to see if they can give you any updates on the situation. If you click here https://www.hastingsdirect.com/contact-us/ you can find all of our contact information, whether you would like to call or email. I hope this helps.

Hastings Direct is rated 2.86 based on 1,633 reviews