Hastings Direct Reviews

Tell us how Hastings Direct made you happy

Over a week
customer service
Featured Review
This review is set as featured by the company.
"Always bean good might take a bit of time to get through but once through so helpful sticking with them"
"I’m feeling heart broken & practically suicidal tonight. I’ve been running quotes for weeks on a potential new car and seeing Hastings as always came out on top for price, despite an extra £300 a year, I was happily gonna pay. I am a relatively young driver at 24 but I decided not to go down the route of a hot hatchback to replace my Fiesta but instead a very comfortable, safe & economical Saloon. I spent half my savings on it and drove it home last night on expensive temporary insurance because I wanted to change it over in the comfort of my home and make sure I did everything legitimately. I called up earlier to add my 31 year old sister as an occasional named driver and to add my new car. After 10 minutes on hold the lady back to me very cold with no sympathy and said “We can no longer insure you considering the length of time you’ve been driving” (3 years, 2 months). “So now we will immediately cancel your policy”. I am not a tech savvy person, I do not see how I could have foreseen this, as far as I knew via the price comparison sites Hastings Direct will insure me for a £1700. I am not a rich man and this will effectively ruin me financially and possibly career wise having now had insurance refused. I’m shaking and heart hasn’t stopped racing since, I don’t know how gonna sleep now."
"Called three times to ask for a no claims bonus letter and promised each time that one would be sent and has not. I am at risk of remaining uninsured with my new insurer."
"Simply dreadful old fashioned customer service. Can't manage policy online for my home insurance. Says it doesn't recognise me as a customer. Tried to "chat" online and it isn't available. It tells me to look at FAQ. What decade are they in? Appalling."
"Great price & excellent service"
"Honestly the worst insurance company anyone could ever go with. They gave me a quite good premium but for a reason. They listed a notification only as a fault claim so now it’s on the database and have to declare to other insurers. Then cancelled my policy due to my policy being based on a ‘provisional license’. Regardless of the fact I have proof of me putting full UK license, they’re claiming I was manipulating quotes even thought I have GAP insurance with a full UK license aswell. It was clearly a glitch on either the comparisons website or their own when the quote was being finalised and paid for. The whole thing has taken 3 months and they are simply brushing me off and the whole situation under the carpet - keep getting passed around to different ‘managers’ when they are solely just an assistant. Not only have they cancelled my insurance, they’re keeping my premium. So I am in loss of just under £2000, no insurance, a fault claim in my name which isn’t meant to be there and also unable to obtain new insurance due to these occurrences at the fault of HASTINGS DIRECT. They don’t care at all about customers, as long as they have your money; that’s all that matters to them. I would strongly advise anyone to avoid them at all costs. The amount of stress it has caused and I am left feeling helpless. Their agents have no training whatsoever and have the smallest respect for their customers. One ‘manager’ even said on the phone and I quote; ‘you shouldn’t have taken out insurance with us then’. The fact that their motto is straightforward insurance disgusts me. I wish I had never taken out insurance with them... I’ve lost just under £2000 and they’re refusing to give me my money back - it’s only been 2 months since I took out the policy. They’re simply taking advantage of the situation and leaving me helpless. If you are thinking of going with them, simply don’t. Check out their history as they have a long list of lawsuits against them."
"Do not buy any insurance policy from them. They won't give you full information first and later if you change your mind and want to cancel the policy although you did it under cooling off period, they will still charge you lots of money saying it is non refundable fees. So, stay away from them."
"Would have to agree with the other comments in that Hastings Direct are incredibly rude and unprofessional. I was also involved in an accident that wasn't my fault (hit from behind when stationary) and Hastings and their legal team offered absolutely nothing in way of assistance. Shocking customers service. Shouldn't even be awarded 1 out of 5."
"Dreadful !!! Went to court for a whole day ! I won the case agains a fraud of some your lad and his family , they rang me up thanking me for attending I saved them Thousands!! They still owe me the excess and expensise they don’t seem interested 😡would never use them again the time it takes to get through to them is really silly , very rude and unprofessional company ."
Hello,

Thank you so much for assisting us by attending court. I am really sorry that you are still waiting to receive your excess back. If you would like us to help you further with this matter then please e-mail us at socialmedia@hastingsdirect.com with your details.

~ Amber
"Never had any claims but I'm over 40 minutes and waiting on the number to cancel. Funny that if I wanted to buy insurance they answer within 40 seconds. I hate the 21 century."
Hello,

I do apologise that you had such a lengthy wait whilst trying to contact us. If you need to contact us again in the future and would like to avoid the call queues then we also have a live chat team who you can connect with by following this link: ow.ly/Ukamg

~ Amber
"very fast and reliable company.I got what i want "value for money" that`s what first time car buyer want.After payment and created online portal ,next day all documents uploaded in very efficient manner with lovely email in my email inbox stating already uploaded.Only suggestion for company when this company offer more options to upgrade before payment i think all these offers should suggest us in online portal rather then before payment as people can change mind after payment can still upgrade as people want to finish payment process as soon as possible after daunting searches and fill all details ."
Hi Usman,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review and for the suggestion. It's great to know that you feel we provide 'value for money'. If you need any help throughout your policy year then do not hesitate to contact us.

~ Amber
"Hastings are a complete disgrace to the insurance industry. I had an accident with one of their clients, which was totally their fault. They did not respond to my phone calls, e-mails or letters, which is totally unprofessional and discourteous. They are basically a bunch of bleep bleep bleeps. If there is a code of conduct for insurance companies then they should be struck off."
Hello there,

I am really sorry that you weren't able to contact us. Our Intervention Team deal with helping non-fault third parties to get their vehicles repaired and they also arrange hire. If you would like to speak to the team then you can contact us on 0800 138 1899 (and select option 1 in the audio menu).

~ Amber
"This is a classic example of a company that is great only when you make no claims. As soon as you make a claim, then the following is guaranteed to happen: 1. Substantial pressure is applied to admit liability. It is so bad that at one point I found out that the company actually admitted liability to the other party's insurance on my behalf without informing me or their own solicitors, who continued with the claim as if nothing happened. 2. The premium is guaranteed to go up substantially, whether it is fault or non-fault, despite any NCB protection, and no changes to any other aspect of the policy. 3. Change of vehicle (for absolutely the same one, only newer) - 33% uplift on the policy premium. No discussions, no attempts to justify, no sympathy. 4. Calculation of the market value of the vehicle after accident has absolutely ridiculous basis of its minimal value, which, they claim, does not include any premiums that dealers put on top of the price. At the same time, their own documentation provides that the market value is "the cost of replacing your car in the United Kingdom ...with one of similar make, model, age and condition". Now, how this does not include the dealer's premium, I don't know. Not to mention the fact the deduction from the actual figure for a similar vehicle seen on every website and every car shop window is a) completely arbitrary - in my case it was 10% of the market value and b) is taken on top of any excess. Which means the company earns double or even triple the excess on the claim. 5. Claim handling is non-existent, advisors give contradicting information, lie about the claim not proceeding or admitting liability (see above). I guess this is another saving for the company. I noticed that in many responses from a Person called Harriot on this website the company is inviting to make a complaint under its internal procedure. I can vouch for that, in fact as soon as you voice any concern they immediately invite you to make a complaint. Word of warning though: the best possible outcome of any complaint is £50 compensation and invitation to complain to the Financial Ombudsman. Do not expect you grievance to be resolved in your favour, ever. PS to top things off, they cancelled my policy because I paid the increased premium for changing the vehicle and are refusing to return the balance of the premium. STAY AWAY!!"
Hi there,

I am really sorry to read that you've had such a negative claims journey. In response to your points raised:
1. We would advise a policy holder that we will be held at fault if the circumstances suggest so and if we'd likely lose if the liability dispute were to be taken to court.
2. Being involved in a road traffic accident, regardless of fault, rates as a higher risk to most underwriters compared to not have being involved in a road traffic accident at all so to most underwriters this would flag up as a higher risk when rating a policy.
3. Owning a vehicle for a shorter period of time rates as a higher risk to some underwriters. Hastings Direct is a broker and we do not set the policy prices nor additional premiums. Your underwriter sets the premium and we have no influence over this.
4. The pre-accidental damage value of your vehicle should have been determined by an independent engineer's report. With regards to deducting your excess from the settlement figure, it is a normal process for customers to contribute their excess towards the cost of their claim and when the policy was taken out you should have been aware of your excess figures. We do not profit by taking an excess as this is a contribution towards the costs of a claim.
5. I am truly sorry that you have received contradictory information from different claims handlers and if you would like any further help with your claim then you are welcome to e-mail us at socialmedia@hastingsdirect.com so that we can look to assist you further. If we have cancelled your policy when we shouldn't have done so then this is something that we would need to look into for you.

~ Amber
"went online for a quote needed to check information with them phoned to check quote had go up nearly £100 pound in ten minutes no information change needed would not honour original quote would not deal with them again rip off"
Hello Alan,

I am really sorry that your quote had increased in price. Our prices and ratings fluctuate regularly and as prices are set by the underwriters, we as the broker are not in a position honor quotes which have expired. Thank you for having considered to insure with us.

~ Amber
"I had a car accident in which I was deemed non fault. 3 months later and Hastings still haven’t got the third party insurance to pay out. They keep passing me on to Auxillus who pass me back to Hastings claiming it’s nothing to do with them they just fix the car and provide a courtesy car. Auxillus told me that because the other party was aggressive towards me at the scene then he won’t admit liability so there’s nothing that can be done unless I pay out on my own policy. When I questioned why the other driver was even being involved and why it wasn’t just being sorted out with his insurance they said it’s nothing to do with them and to speak to Hastings. I rang the third party insurance myself and they had had no contact from Hastings. Hastings just want me to pay my excess and do it from my insurance but have also recently told me that on top of my £500 compulsary excess and £350 voluntary excess there is also a young drivers excess of nearly £200 that I would have to pay because I’m young and inexperienced. I was never made aware of this charge when I took out the policy. It takes forever for them to answer the phone, usually put through to a foreign advisor.. It’s never been easy to understand them so who knows what you’re agreeing to! They tell you what you want to hear and then don’t action their promises. I have contacted them via email to complain and am awaiting response still."
Hello,

I am really sorry to read that you've had such a negative claims journey and I apologise for any frustration caused. We would like to help you to progress your claim and your complaint. If you would like us to help further with this matter then please e-mail us at socialmedia@hastingsdirect.com

~ Amber
"After being a customer for four years I had nothing but trouble. I was unable to cancel my monthly car insurance due to an old note on the system that they could not figure out. In addition to this the extra charges and additional costs I incurred from altering my address by one road from the previous was frankly ridiculous as my insurance got more expansive each year even though the car stayed the same and my no claims increased."
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your review. I am very sorry to hear you have still not had your policy cancelled, and I do apologise if we have been unable to provide you a competitive quotation. Address is one of the main rating factors on the insurance and can effect the premium significantly which may be why you experienced such an increase. I hope this helps to clear things up for you, and hopefully we can offer you a better price when it comes to your renewal.

~ Harriot
"Been with hastings for years all I wish to do is transfer my previous insurance to a new car which has to be done by a phone call, but omg over the last 3 days I have phoned and been on hold for over 2.5 hours, so when they offer quick service, well they don't ."
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your review. I am very sorry to hear you have had such a poor experience with transferring over your vehicles and contacting our team. We have been experiencing extremely high call volumes the past few days and this has meant we have not been able to answer your calls as quickly as we would have hoped to. I hope you have now managed to contact the team, however if you are still having problems you can email our team at help@hastingsdirect.com

~ Harriot
"I was with Hastings for 2 or 3 years. To begin with they were great. However, I didn't have any need to contact them at this time. As soon as there was a problem (a false claim against my car insurance policy), queue months and months of terrible customer service. I would avoid Hastings at all costs and have advised those around me to do the same. I have since involved the Financial Ombudsmen who are looking into this on my behalf."
Hi there,

Thanks for your review. I am very sorry to hear you have had such a poor experience whilst going through a claim with ourselves. I hope you get the outcome you are looking for whilst you have a complaint logged with the FOS and I apologise again for the inconvenience.

~ Harriot
"Easy to use and very quick"
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your excellent review. It is great to see that we have been able to offer you the service and cover we strive to provide, and I hope you have a brilliant year insured with us.

~ Harriot
"The operator was very helpful"
Hi Claire,

Thanks for your review. I am so pleased to hear you found our customer service advisors helpful, and thank you very much for your feedback. Hopefully when it comes to renewal we can offer you an even more competitive price and therefore a 5* star review!

~ Harriot
"worst insurance company ever... i have been with them for over a year... its constantly pass the parcel.. never paying attention to detail always getting information wrong and not listening to customers forget the advisors the managers are worse to talk to too dont know how their recruitment works but i would never go back to them after the experience ive had this time round"
Hi Tas,

Thanks for your review. I am so sorry to hear you have had such a poor experience, and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. I hope your situation has now been resolved, however if not our team can look into this for you and log a formal complaint if necessary which you can do by clicking here https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/customer-complaints.shtml I hope this helps.

Hastings Direct is rated 2.82 based on 1,727 reviews