Hastings Direct Reviews

52% of reviewers recommend Hastings Direct

How would you rate Hastings Direct?

1427 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Hastings Direct in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"My partner and were fortunately to buy a new car, the car was registered in my name and he took on my old car. We phoned up Hastings yesterday to change over his insurance from a car we had sold to my old car, we were on the phone for over an hour and wheb the premium came through they wanted an Extra £785 a year on top of the £400 we were paying already!!!! The car is a citreon C4 2008 so not like its a brand new top of the range sports car. I wasn't happy with this so rang back and spoke to someone else. They said they couldn't find the car on the system and a further hour on the phone resulted to then telling us, that they couldn't insure the car and had to go to their technical department. I was told it 'may' be resolved Friday. I explained that this wasn't good enough and I needed the car insuring as my partner travels very early each morning and waiting wasn't an option. 2.5hrs on the phone resulted to a waste of my time and a very extremely stressful situation. I asked to speak to a manager who wavered the cost (so she should anyway) to cancel the policy so I could insure the car with a competent insurer. I rang my insurers up, had my partner added onto the policy, for £21 a month extra. They DID find the car! And they DID insure him! For someone with 5 years NCB and has been a local customer of Hastings, what a waste of my time yesterday! From this experience I wouldn't never use Hastings again, I'd avoid them like the plague. Con artists, and extremely incapable of doing their jobs! Disappointed, and stressed caused by these utter idiots!!!"
"Hastings direct canceled my insurance based on the number of quotes I provided. They use underwriters based in Gibralter which is very shady. Do not use even if they are the cheapest!"
Hi, unfortunately we have strict regulations in regards to quote manipulation and take these cases very seriously. This is why there are issues in regards to customers trying to retrieve multiple quotes with differing details. I apologise if any inconvenience was caused.

Rip Off Company
Verified Reviewer
"worst insurance company I've been with charged ninety five pounds for change of address twenty five pounds admin fee the other seventy pounds they could not tell me why they charged me for, do not use this rip off company."
Hi, I am sorry to see you are unhappy. When a change is made to a policy mid-term, your premiums need to be recalculated using the new information as you may fall into a new risk criteria. This is where the additional charge will have come from. Hopefully we can provide you with a great quote at renewal.

~Connor
"AWFUL insurance company 1 year later my claim isn't sorted ! not helpful with dealing with claims."
I am sorry to hear there has been delays in progressing your claim. Please contact us on 0800 035 4260 so we can provide you with an update on the situation.

James Baines
Verified Reviewer
"This Company is very quick to take money from the customer, but lacks in customer care. The website is very poor. No renewal deadline was commmunicated and no renewal price quoted; the money simply disappeared from my account. Although the money was refunded after a week, the requested and promised certificate of no claims has neither been forwarded to my e-mail address nor sent through the post; length of time spent for this document waitiing is currently 3 weeks, which puts me in an awkward position with my new insurer. There is no on-line chat facility and e-mails are frustratingly slow. Telephone lines are long and laborious to get through to the correct department and then the announcement comes that I am 12+ in the queue; this is not a free phoneline."
Hi James, I am sorry to see there have been issues. If you visit our website and use the 'contact us' tab you can find our online chat. You can also use the link below to request proof of your no claims.

Angela Cooper
Unverified Reviewer
"Avoid! Started insurance earlier than required, refused to amend and unable to access online account for duration of insurance policy. Customer services non existent! Avoid"
Hi Anglea, I am sorry to see this. The start date of an insurance policy is a fixed element of the contract we provide with you, so we are unable to change this. If you have been unable to get onto your online account, please contact our LiveChat team and they will get you logged in. The link is below.

~Connor
"Where to start with this shamble of a company. Put in a non fault claim passed my claim a management compnay who do not know the meaning of the word failed to collect on first date had to call them had my vehicle over to weeks at the repairs only then to call me to ask what was wrong with the car. when the car was returned it was not repaired spoke to auxhillis who told me to go speak to the repairers but the took back the hire vehicle. So left without a car. Promised a manager call back in 24 hours failed to do so. Gave instructions to contact me on a number of occasions, failed to do. Got past pillar to post. ISSUE STILL ONGOING... Make scam isuraners and cowboy repaiers look like saints AVOID AVOID AVOID better to pay extra and get decent level of service"
Hi, I am very sorry to see there have been issues. Please contact us via social media or help@hastingsdirect.com with your claim reference number (it begins with 300-100) and we will arrange assistance for you. We can also provide details of our complaints procedure, if you so wish.

~Connor
"This company are an absolute disgrace, we have been waiting for a long while to receive our excess of £250, apparently you have to threaten them with court to get what you are entitled to, this for me is a terrible way to conduct business, I have insurance from another company, a driver insured by Hastings drove into the back of me, admitted liability, we had to pay £250 excess to get the car repaired and now told from our insurers that Hastings are notorious for this behavior, totally Immoral way to treat hard working people, we need this cash desperately and Hastings do not care. Stay clear."
Hi, I am sorry to see you are having issues. If you contact us on help@hastingsdirect.com with your claim reference number we can look to arrange assistance for you.

~Connor
"I am currently trying to change over vehicles on an existing policy but have had no luck in getting through to anyone ! I have been placed on hold until I give up after waiting for an average of 45 minutes at a time !!!! I have also tried on the website ,which is also busy !!This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced !!!! Why don't Hastings employ more staff and answer the phone's?"
Hi, I am very sorry to see you have had trouble getting in touch with us. If you contact us via social media we will happily arrange a call-out for you.

~Connor
"They keep you on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes everytime you call. Its enough to make you take your business elsewhere..."
I am sorry to see you've been on hold. Please feel free to contact us via social media at any time and we can look to arrange a call-out for you.

~Connor
"Absolutely disgusting service - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! Claims department incapable of telling the truth and give blatant lie after lie even when caught out. Recovery company and Salavage company informed me my car was a write off. Still waiting for Hastings to tell me this and when confronted told everyone else is wrong, even though my car has a lot number with Copart ready to sell at online auction!! PAY MORE AND USE A COMPETANT COMPANY!!!"
Hi, please e-mail us at help@hastingsdirect.com with your claim reference number so we can look to get assistance arranged.

~Connor
"No easily accessible email customer service - it's hidden from site and is actually customerservice@hastingsdirect.com Hike prices of loyal customers - new quotes return cheaper prices than renewals"
Hi, all of our prices are generated on a real-time basis, meaning they are subject to change often. This may explain the difference between your prices.

~Connor
"Customer service is nothing short of useless, trying to cancel my renewal due to extortionate price hike. Tried contacting them by the only phone number on the renewal, spent 90 mins on phone trying to get through at various times, when eventually someone answered they said they only work 8am to 5pm mon - fri for van insurance please ring back tomorrow. Avoid them at all cost."
"Have been great for 2 years but wanted a new policy for my partner and customers service was rude Online would not quote and telling us to call but were then told 35 before us and maybe could not quote if we waited, emailed a complaint to head office to have another rude reply saying they were very busy and sorry we were kept waiting on the phone so never even read my email just dismissed will def be renewing else where"
Hi Lena, I am very sorry to hear this. If you contact us via social media we will have assistance arranged for you.

Simon Bowyer
Verified Reviewer
"Very disappointed in this company Very disappointed in this company, Had my windscreen replaced by thier contracted fitters who damaged my car, This was done last September. After finally getting through to someone 4 Months later i was told that Hastings would Authorise the repair to fix the damage. That was the last i heard, Every time i call them they say they are putting me through to someone and i get cut off. Very good service until you need to claim will not be using them again!"
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your vehicle and about the overall experience that you've had so far. I hope that repairs can be made soon and this matter can be resolved. Please ensure you ring the free number of 0800 035 4260 when trying to reach the claims team

-Theo
"Easy website to navigate through, took me 5 minutes from start to finish to get my new car insurance policy set up. Hastings saved me £835 per year against my previous insurer who I had been with for 10 years! Great service and will look to insure our other car with Hastings when the policy is up for renewal"
Hello Debra,

It's good to hear that you had such a straightforward online experience with us and that we were able to offer you a competitive price. Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review with us and I wish you have the very best experience during your time with us

Enayet Hussain
Unverified Reviewer
"Asked what I can do if I was to sell my vehicle and if I could change the policy onto another vehicle. My request was misinterpreted, lady on the phone got aggressive and I was told my policy had just been cancelled. I had 9 days left until I received my 5 years NCB."
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the of service you received. It's not reflective of the level we strive to provide at Hastings Direct. I hope that this matter has since been resolved and the policy reinstated if there were no grounds to cancel it. Please contact the team at customerservice@hastingsdirect.com if you need assistance and thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us

David Barron - Robinson
Verified Reviewer
"Offered 3400 for none fault write off of my car with 340 buy back. I challenged valuation and was offered same figure but buy back now 900! If they have accepted my argument that the car was worth more than 3400 then that would explain the hike in the buy back figure but should also have resulted in an increased offer ?"
Hello,

I'm sorry this process has caused some frustration and I hope some positive progress has been made concerning the claim since the time of your post. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us

-Theo
"Purchased home insurance through comparison website on Saturday, said they would post documents within 7 days. By Wednesday they hadn't arrived and due to needing to provide solicitor proof of instructor house purchase to complete o phoned to request a copy of certificate be emailed, took 10minutes and several put on hold before they located my policy they then told me it would take 24 hours to send!!!. Unbelievable in a modern world!! After emailing a complaint i received an automatic response saying it will take 3 days to respond!!! As of today no email or post! I am writing whilst waiting to speak to their complaints department, so far 18 minutes on hold waiting!!!. I have no faith in this company and will make sure I never buy anything from them again."
Hi Simon,

I'm sorry to hear about the level of service and the experience you had recently. It doesn't reflect the service we strive to provide and I appreciate the frustration that this would have caused. I hope the documents have since arrived and you have or you're close to receiving a satisfactory resolution to your complaint

Jane Shelley
Verified Reviewer
"Thought Hastings had made a mistake when my renewal quote came £1173.63 l am a 62 year old woman last year my insurance with Hastings was £298.47 l have claimed once .when an unidentified driver hit my car in a car park.l phoned this morning to tell them about the MISTAkE and guess what no explanation for quadruple hike on premium l have found another provider this company is a JOKE"
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that we weren't competitive concerning your renewal and that it has caused you to go elsewhere for a better price. Thank you for having been insured with us this past year and I wish you all the best with your new provider

Hastings Direct is rated 3.08 based on 1,427 reviews