Hastings Direct Reviews

Hastings Direct have a Customer Happiness Grade of B-. Customers love their prices but are unhappy with their refunds. Full Insights

49% of reviewers recommend Hastings Direct

How would you rate Hastings Direct ?

"They took my insurance payment from my credit card 4 times over 6 weeks ago and I am still waiting for them to refund the money"
"Appalling, woeful and disgraceful level of service, wish l could give no stars just unbelievable, Hastings wasting my time since the 18th May in a non fault accident and eventually paid out on the 8th August after l demanded a bank transfer payment. The pay out would not even permit me to purchase a like for like car in my area."
"Impossible to contact and put on hold with an expensive phone bill to boot!"
"Always bean good might take a bit of time to get through but once through so helpful sticking with them"
"I would give hastings Direct a zero if I could. Did online quote and paid first instalment, next day they said there was a problem and had to ring. After 2 hours on the phone they said i had to pay in full due to credit history. This i did, but then had to explain time and time again for the refund of the other instalment. Many phone calls later they arranged refund tp card and even received a letter saying 5 working days. Day 9 no refund. Rang up was told to wait on hold for 2 mins, 43 mins later came back and said their systems are slow and will ring me in a hour. Waited hour and a half and I then rang them back, another 37 mins on phone to be told that a cheque will be with me in 7-10 days. I asked why is it only being issued today and this was promised in my bank, they said that they didn't have my bank details. Hastings direct is an absolute joke and i feel sorry for the workers who get all the backlash."
"Price and initial commencement of the policy was straightforward but trying to get through to them on the phone (only option available) took 50 minutes and the staff passed me around and were unapologetic about the time you have waited, then rush you through things. Very very poor service. Hate to think what you would have to go through with them if you had to make a claim."
"They aren’t interested in dealing with 3rd party claims. I was hit by one of their insured. They never responded to my insurance company until they were issued with court papers. 3 months after being issued with court papers they decided that they would finally offer a settlement. Nearly 5 weeks later im still waiting for settlement. According to my insurance company they are known in the industry for this. ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL! They should be shut down!"
"Ran over debris that came off a caravan on the motorway, this rattled the underneath of my MX5 checked my car over on the hard shoulder as did another car who hit the debris, no visible damage and no sign of any fluid, continued my journey and my dashboard lit up like a xmas tree, again pulled over onto the hard shoulder and stopped my car.I arranged recovery home and had the garage check my car, engine done in, my sump had been damaged and i lost all my oil. Engine wasnt siezed but had the severe knocking noise.Called Hastings and they advised my car was a total loss!!!! Are you kiddin me , after a few choice words they told me to get a private quote which i did, at no.point did i get any promised phone call back or email. 4 days and 12 phone calls later i had to call the independant engineers myself appointment arranged but they had been advised my car was hit by a flying object and they were going to assess body damage?? They also advised the car would have to go on a ramp, if the car gets driven the engine will cease and cause even more damage.This shower Hastings then said we will instruct COPART to get your car, now this bunch of ballons dont seem to understand i work in a bodyshop and when your car is collected by salvage it stays there so these idiots can total loss it and you have to buy it back. I will get my car in the air so the engineer can inspect it, i will roll my car onto the ramp it wont be dragged onto a salvage wagon never to be seen again. My car to replace is nearly 6000 you dont go my book value folk you get your backside onto Auto Trader get the same car same spec etc thats what your entitled to, now ive done the running got a quote of 1920 to repair. Thats less than 66 perc of my cars value, yes again people they total your car if its over 66 perc. I will NEVER insure my car with this bunch again and hell will freeze over before my car is collected by salvage, quick to take 50 per month to insure you but want to make a quick buck , ie pay you peanuts take the remainder of your policy and take 7 pence a minute to listen to their rubbish"
"They cancelled my daughters car insurance due to their own administration error which subsequently left her abandoned two hours drive from home. In trying to get to the root of the problem their staff were dismissive, rude and uncaring. Atrocious company, avoid at all costs."
"Hastings direct increased my premium by nearly 40% come renewal time, and then charged me £45 to cancel the insurance. Oh and if you try to cancel early they refuse to give you the extra years NCB, even if its only by two weeks !"
"My daughter had a policy with hastings also she had one there black box’s fitted after 5 months she noticed her scoring was going down no matter what she done we then received a email saying if her score didn’t go above 40 they were going to cancel her insurance so obviously she kept to the speed limits and everything else what’s required and still her score when down she then received a second email telling her they were cancelling her insurance in 7 day time in between this time I was checking her oil and water when I noticed the black box had come unstuck from the battery and had been bouncing around I phone Hastings up and explained what had happen there response we are so sorry but there nothing we can do we are still cancelling her insurance what a understanding company not this company should be called ripyouoff directly on understanding no help totally run by I’ll mannered morons and I’m being nice as I can’t put what I would like to say about this company. I decided to leave reviews every I can about this so call company to stop them ripping other young drivers off they are real sh*ts"
"My daughter just phoned me in tears Hastings withdrew 150.00 out of her account without notifying her of a change in her policy, they said they did but she has no record of any communication. I told her to cancel the policy immediately but they told her it would cost 150.00 to do so. My plan is to get trading standards involved and the ombudsman and also seek legal advice. Under no circumstances sign up with this company if I could give them a zero rating I would."
"Very expensive considering driving history, number of years driving and number of years no claims! When i've called customer service (which takes a while to get through their automated system) to make a change to my policy, they are quick to add an admin charge! Cancellation of policy costs a min £50 regardless of how many months are left to run. Managing your policy online is a joke - their website is frustratingly slow and when you click on the live chat option, it says they're busy with other customers and to try again later! Overall, would NOT ever use them again and don't recommend them!"
"I have many complaints: 1) the chat is useless, out of the 12 times i have had to use it to communicate, once it worked, the rest of the time they were too busy. 2) The 0333 number costs about 12p a minute, that's the cheapest rate and before i even get to the queue (past all the automated section) its almost 3 minutes 3) once i waited 65 minutes and got a refund after complaining. 4) i have had to change the policy twice this year, including once giving them an extra £700 as my son passed his test and wanted to use the car, the additional charges were ridiculous. 5) I have fully comp insurance that means absolutely nothing, my car was parked on the road and was hit on the side by someone who drove off, the repair bill is about £600 but my excess is £395 (when i started with them 3 years ago it was £100, i didn't even realise it had gone up, my fault, i didn't read the small print). 6) my no claims discount protection is useless, it turns out if i had claimed for the damage to my car, i would have to pay the first £395 (excess) then, yes, i would not lose my no claims bonus as i paid extra for 'no claims discount protection', but, and this is a big but, if i dare to make a claim my premiums will go up, so i will have to pay about an extras £200 - £300 anyway, so in the end, if my damage to the car is less than £1000 don't claim, as my premiums will be affected and it will affect them for another 3 years. 7) I have now been on hold again for 12 minutes. I will avoid them and not go to them again!!! Karl"
"OMG I have tried to contact this company to talk about making a change to my insurance - can’t get through. Waiting for long periods and live Chat the same. Shame. I might cancel"
"Tried to confirm my renewal by phone, while waiting, looked up this site, and was shocked at some of the practices hasting are accused of ,among which was length of time on hold, does hastings get reduced rates from phone companies for keeping customers on hold ? anyway ,was kept 20 mins, not as bad some customers experience , but just cancelled and wont be renewing another car I have with them if I had seen reviews first probably would not have tried them"
"Do not go for hastings direct smartmiles cover! I switched my car insurance to hastings direct due to the cheaper cost but quickly regretted my decision. The black box that was fitted by hastings smartmiles the smartmiles box consistently gave me very poor scores. The box relies on measurements of acceleration and braking, both of which are sometimes difficult to control in busy city traffic. After 1 week of my policy, I got an email from smartmiles threatening to cancel my insurance if my score doesn't improve. I decided to cancel the policy and they refused to refund the £150 for the telematics device as I had already installed it. How was I supposed to know about my scores before installing the box? This kind of practice is terrible and I wish for nobody else to fall into the same trap that I did. Be warned.""
"My son has repeatedly tried to contact Hastings direct for over two weeks now via phone and has been held in a queue for hours at a time and not being able to speak to anyone. He eventually managed to chat to someone called Greg via live chat today, my son informed him of not been able to speak to anyone at Hastings via phone, to be told that he could not cancel the renewal process on online chat! and had to be done via phone! Even though it states within his account online that it can be done via phone or online chat! This is totally unacceptable, as he has clearly not been able to do this via phone either. The renewal amount is £625! A yearly payt, not monthly. This has now affected me as I myself paid for his insurance last year, they have my payt details so have left me with no alternative than to cancel via my bank any renewal payments attempted by Hastings. I have emailed them at help@hastings.com with my concerns but have not received any reply They make it virtually impossible to cancel renewals, disgraceful and bordering fraudulent"
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you had such an awful experience while trying to contact the call centre and arrange the cancellation. I appreciate that it has been difficult and I hope that some positive progress has since been made concerning this. If it hasn't please email the same email address to advise the team. We'll chase this and try all we can to arrange a call back so this cancellation can be arranged. I understand the frustration and this feedback is being sent to the call centre just so they are aware of the difficulties customers are facing. Thank you for leaving a review with us concerning this

-Theo
"Do not go for hastings direct smartmiles cover! I switched my car insurance from directline to hastings direct due to the cheaper cost but quickly regretted my decision. The black box that was fitted by hastings smartmiles was terrible. Despite two years of no claims and good ratings from directline's telematics device, the smartmiles box consistently gave me very poor scores. The box relies on measurements of acceleration and braking, both of which are sometimes difficult to control in busy city traffic. After 1 week of my policy, I got an email from smartmiles threatening to cancel my insurance if my score doesn't improve. I decided to cancel the policy and they refused to refund the £150 for the telematics device as I had already installed it. How was I supposed to know about my scores before installing the box? This kind of practice is terrible and I wish for nobody else to fall into the same trap that I did. Be warned."
Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I'm sorry to see you have had so many issues with the Smartmiles box and have had to cancel your policy. We try to be as transparent as possible in regards to how the scores are measured and also have a dedicated team to help and support you if your score drops below 40/100. I do apologise though that you have ha to look for alternative insurance and wish you the best with your next provider.

~ Jamie
"Crashed a week ago ,still no further along .Phoned 6 times not 1 call back , been told they're 95% sure car will be a right off , but waiting on a report, they said they would have said report within 48 hours ,5 days later still no report.Terrible to deal with ,avoid at all cost s ,truly a unprofessional company"
Hello there,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to see this is the case and that you are still waiting to get an update on whether your vehicle has been deemed a total loss or not. I hope that your claim gets resolved soon.

~ Jamie