Hastings Direct Reviews

customer service
Returns & Refunds
refunds process
Difficult
"Absolutely terrible, I was insured with them for a year then didn't renew as I had sold the car and when with a diffrerent provider. Hastings then proceeded to renew my policy without telling me and tried to charge me. Do not go with them."
"Competitive pricing, cover clearly specified, flexible to suit individual requirements."
"It take this company over 20 days to send me my New Policy in the post and I have still not had it but I have PAID FOR THIS IN FULL."
"very pleased with service and price"
"I've been a customer for years and you nearly lost me. I'd bought a brand new car and your useless system combined with jobsworths who don't know what's going on meant I wasted 3 hours of my life until I finally got hold of someone who wasn't an idiot and could help. Frankly I'll be looking very carefully at my options next year to make sure I choose none of your companies as you have the customer service of a mongol hoard!"
"Unimpressed and disappointed"
"Very good service."
"If I could, i would have given no stars, but this review only allows at least 1. IF you have 1 hr and 45 mins of spare time when you want to make any change on the policy, then Hastings is the one for you. I tired to put my daughter on my insurance online, but was told that i needed to phone in. After waiting for the 1 hr 45mins, i was then told that they wouldn't let me make this change, but would not say the reason why. I then had to go to another insurer which immediately accepted my daughter onto my insurance. The hold music and voice over telling me that my call was really important to them, nearly drove me up the wall and i was ready to smash my phone to pieces in frustration. They are very quick to answer calls when you first take out the policy or when the renewal is due, but once they have you, they just don't care about making you wait. STAY AWAY"
Hi Samantha,

I'm very sorry to read that you had such a poor experience and that the wait in particular to reach the call centre caused so much frustration. We appreciate that the waiting times are far from ideal and we are working on methods to improve this. Hopefully if you need to contact us in the future you can do so in a timely manner.

I do apologise that the underwriter of your policy couldn't provide cover for the additional driver and it is good to hear that you have been able to get cover for her. Thank you for having been insured with us and I do wish you the best with your new provider. Going forward you can also contact us on Facebook, just send us a pm if you need some help

~Theo
"Very happy been with them for years but still done a quote and saved over £100"
"I changed to Hastings Insurance because they provided me with all my car insurance needs at a price that I could afford. The on - line service was very user friendly."
"Do not buy insurance from Hastings Direct based on their Free Cancellation promise, it is nothing but a lie. They do charge an arrangement fee, even if the policy is cancelled before it was due to start."
Hi Lorenzo,

We do not charge a cancellation fee before the policy start date nor in the first 14 days of the policy however our £20 arrangement fee is non-refundable. Our fees are listed on our website as we are transparent about them: https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/our-fees.shtml

~ Amber
"Hastings Direct are lying when selling insurance as "Free to Cancel". They will be charging a £20 fee even if you cancel BEFORE the policy was due to start."
Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for your review. We do not charge a cancellation fee before the policy start date nor in the first 14 days of the policy. The £20 charged is our arrangement fee which is non-refundable. Our fees are listed on our website as we are transparent about them: https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/our-fees.shtml

~ Amber
"Good service ...helpfull staff"
"Great customer service and fantastic policy"
"No hassle, quickly quoted and accepted. Great service"
"Was in a NON FAULT accident told things would run smooth LIKE HELL THEY DID I basically did all the communication endless phone calls They also gave me a bad valuation 2k less than actual value of or car, really led me up garden path, saying it's being dealt with but we're no further on. Various advisors all saying different things Advised this n that but they did opposite Looked for another car which was told it can on existing insurance to avoid me paying out due to the termination of the existing one (hello the cars a write off and I'm still paying for insurance) then put thru to a guy who basically gave me a new quote (I could've gone elsewhere cheaper) the GAP insurance was sorted but communication with them and Hastings was practically non existent even tho I granted permission to liaise Meantime bought another car and set a date for it to be insured ( as of the offer to have it on the existing insurance so I'd not pay outstanding balance on the existing one) however the car has arrived few days earlier but even tho they previously said it would be ok to change it another advisor calls to say they cant insure it until date specified and advised me to take out a short term insurance WITH ANOTHER INSURER for a few days till theirs kicks in ??? So I'm going to be left with an uninsured car sitting outside my house ?? On top of all this no representative you speak to is leaving notes for next advisor !! LIVID !!!"
Hi Andy,

I am really sorry that you've had a negative claims experience with us. I have flagged this matter up with our claims customer service team and asked that they look to provide you with further support. Thank you for your patience whilst dealing with this matter.

~ Amber
"Easy to use web site. Great price for insurance."
"They got my email address wrong and after numerous calls last one told me he had set it up what a load of rubbish I am still unable to access my account I hope I never have to make a claim"
Hi Ken,

I sincerely apologise for the error on our behalf. Our live chat team are specifically trained to help our customers with their online account queries and issues. You can connect with the team by following this link: ow.ly/p2zd30oYLON

~ Amber
"For two years running they took my premium twice, charging me the proposed higher rate as well as he negotiated lower rate, insuring the same car, same number plate, same owner, same address twice, and it took ages to sort out until I emailed the CEO. Then to top it all they forgot to register the insurance with the national database, so my daughter, whose insurance it was, was pulled in by the police. All compensated and the insurance cover is fine...… but the admin!!"
Hello David,

I am so sorry that this had happened and for all the inconvenience caused due to this. Thank you for your patience whilst dealing with this matter and thank you for letting us know that this was finally resolved.

~ Amber
"Easy to use website, great price was the cheapest around. Paperwork sent through quickly."
Hastings Direct is rated 4.30 based on 33,123 reviews