Hastings Direct Reviews

53% of reviewers recommend Hastings Direct

How would you rate Hastings Direct?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

1396 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
Jenni

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Hastings Direct in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"The worst insurance company I have ever been with. I have had insurance with these a month and not one of their staff can set up a direct debit. Can get 5 or 6 letters a day from these but struggle to get a cheque to me of money that they owe me. Will be cancelling my insurance and will never be going back."
"Please do not take out House insurance with Hastings Direct it maybe cheap but they are there to take your money.The policy insurer is AXA,as part of the policy they offer coverage on your central heating. The company they employ to support and repair boilers and central heating systems have limited equipment and if you cannot see the leak they will not carry out trace and access. trace and access is also not covered on Buildings insurance.They are actually offering a very limited coverage.I will never purchase any insurance through Hastings Direct or AXA, you also waste lots of time just trying to get the right phone number and watch the 0800 numbers its costly"
"Were to start... trying to claim against a driver insured by Hastings Direct. A formal claim was raised in June and three weeks later a pre action protocol should come into effect and a response should be forthcoming after a MAXIMUM of three months. It is now SEVEN months and still no response...two complaints raised including copying the CEO into the email and NO reply"
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had the best experience with us and there has been a delay regarding a response to your email. Claims can be more complex than they first appear and I appreciate the frustration these delays would cause. I really hope positive progress can be made regarding your claim soon.

-Theo
"Extremely bad customer experience - when asking questions of the telephone advisor at Hastings. After initially obtaining a quote through compare the market.com - the quote was different from the web, so I rang / got through to an ''advisor'' who immediately seemed irritable, lacking of / unable to understand English, she did not listen to what was being said / asked, and it became almost to the point of being rude with the amount of times I was interupted. If this was an example of their sales, got help you if you have to claim [I decided almost immediately to take my business elsewhere instead - its worth paying a bit more for the quality of service and not risk it with Hastings - Defacto 5 or not]."
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the best customer service from one of our representatives. It's not reflective of the level of service we look to provide.I will feed this back to the sales team so that we can look to eradicate this kind of experience. I wish you the very best with your new insurer and thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us

-Theo
"This is the worst insurance company we have ever been unfortunate enough to have to deal with. They take at least 20 minutes to actually answer the call when making a claim. No one person actually tells you the same as another. Our experience with Hastings has been appalling. There is absolutely no consistently. Every conversation takes at least an hour and most of the conservation is denying what another member of staff has said. Please avoid at all costs. Following an accident which was not our fault, they wrote our car off immediately. They would not chase up our uninsured losses and suggested we get an independent solicitor to do this. They made a settlement offer for our car which was well below market value; we had to fight for a fair offer. The hire car has to go back 7 days after the settlement date. This does not give enough time to buy another car. We did have 4 cars insured with Hastings. We are going to cancel every one of these and will ensure everyone we know is warned against the poor practices of this dreadful company."
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the wait and the experience you're having during your claim. I appreciate the frustration these delays would have caused and I hope that a resolution can be reached soon concerning your claim. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review with us

-Theo
"Wish I had read reviews of Hastings Direct before taking out my policy! Spent the last 2 weeks trying to open up documents firstly to check they are correct and secondly to obviously print them off. Nightmare! Im not great on computers but opened my last car insurers no problem, these unforunately on opening are a blank screen! Spent a long time on hold to be told I should of opted to have them posted, if I had my crystal ball and forseen I wouldnt of been able to open the documents perhaps I would opted for them to be posted. However im not mystic meg! As a new customer I expect a bit of empathy and helpfullness. For example "I'm sorry your having problems accessing the policy documents, thats not a problem I can post them to you" would of been a far better response than "could you go to your local library and print them off"! Car Insurance companies make billions a year and they make it such a hassle for the customer to have a few pieces of paper with their policy details on it....very poor! As a new customer this initial call to Hastings does not fill me with any confidence as to the service I will be getting - I pray to god I never need to claim. Would not use again and would not recommend to anyone.....next time will use a company who actually cares about their customers!"
Hi Tracey,

I believe I spoke to you on our Facebook page also. I really do understand the frustration this has caused because in my experience it is a straightforward process. I wish to apologise for the lack of service you received from the adviser as it's not a representation of the level of service we look to provide. I hope the documents will be with you soon. If you do have any further queries, please contact us at help@hastingsdirect.com

-Theo
"Terrible service, unhelpful, they just say it's not their problem as they are just a broker!. I had to put a complaint into the ombudsman as Hastings do not respond to any complaint. Also, before buying, try phoning them, you will be in a queue for a very long time! The worst company I have ever dealt with. AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!"
Hello,

I'm sorry to see that you have such a negative experience with us. I appreciate the frustration regarding the lack of a response and I hope that if you have logged a complaint you receive some correspondence soon. If you're able please email the complaint reference to help@hastingsdirect.com. We'll do what we can to chase this complaint for you

-Theo
"Always simply brilliant, fast, efficient, great prices"
"They are dreadful they auto renewed my policy without any warning 25% more expensive than the better policy I'd already replaced it with. Spoke with Olu who said she is in London but who's grasp of English was tenuous. Asked to speak to a supervisor but just left listening to elevator music for 5 minutes until I hung up. Do not use"
Hello,

I'm sorry to her about the experience you had and I wish to apologise for any error on our part concerning this. I hope this has since been resolved. Please contact us at help@hastingsdirect.com if it hasn't or you need any further assistance

-Theo
"If I could give them Zero I would. BE VERY CAREFUL BEFORE USING THIS COMPANY. Ive been with Hastings since June last year, the first time I have had to contact them was just now to make a very small administrative change to my policy. My vehicle was on a private plate and as I am getting rid of it at the end of the month I have had to retain my personal plate and change the registration number back to it's original. As I am required to update my insurance company about any change to the vehicle I did so only to be told there is a £25 charge for this service. I politely informed the guy of my displeasure at having to pay this amount as others that I know who have done the same thing have not been charged at all. I was told that this was an administration charge because new policy documents would have to be drawn up and it would have to go back to the underwriters. What a load of rubbish, this is nothing more that a numberplate change in a field on the computer system, the computer system then issues new documents electronically. I was then asked if I still wanted to go ahead with the change, I informed him that I was required by law to make the change therefore had no choice but to pay the amount. I then told him that I would not be renewing my policy as I was changing the vehicle on the 1st March, my policy runs out in June. I was then told that there would be a £45 charge for cancelling my policy early despite me paying in full when I took the policy out. The icing on the cake was then being told that I would not be entitled to my no claims bonus as I had not had the policy a year even though I paid £14 for this at the start of the policy. I was informed that this was all written down in the policy handbook. Fair enough they have got me there but how many people read the lengthy hand books which are designed to make you fall asleep after the first few pages. That is why insurance companies love them. This insurance firm are typical of a company that wants to squeeze as much money out of you as they can and have forgotten the basic principles of looking after the customers that they have got. Fortunately I have not had to make a claim, from reading others experiences it is quite clear this would be a nightmare. I asked that my displeasure be passed on to the management team and asked that they contact me, I am not holding my breath."
Hello Andrea,

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with us. It's not reflective of the level of customer service we strive to provide. If you do wish to raise a complaint concerning the level of customer service you've received, please contact the customer relations team on ow.ly/e4n830ilOeW. This will send an email directly to that department

-Theo
"Took out van insurance two months ago and purchased over the phone where I asked on numerous occasions if they would accept my ten years no claims discount? Was told each time that yes they would. Now two months later and they have contacted me to say they will not accept the no claims bonus, I have ten days to find alterative cover. Disgusting! When asked why they won't accept the no claims they said is because it was gained with previous providers (rubbish! Doesn't everyone clock up no claims discount in this way?) Currently looking for alternative cover with another provider (I have contacted a couple of insurers who have all said they WILL accept the no claims discount and cannot understand why Hasting's wont!) as soon as I have purchased it I will be cancelling the Hasting's cover and also writing to their complaints department. NOT GOOD HASTINGS!!!"
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that this is the case. I haven't known us to refuse no claims if they were earned in the UK. We may choose to refuse them if they were earned outside the UK or if they were in use at the time the cover started with us. If you do choose to raise a complaint this will be investigated for you. You can do so by emailing the customer relations team directly at ow.ly/QIm230ilLge

Peter Bealing
Unverified Reviewer
"Where do I start. It’s enough to make Victor Meldrew’s out of all of us! I had a car written off by flood damage, so I needed to process a claim through Hastings Direct. I also had to change my vehicle details from my old car to my new car. Pretty straight forward I would have thought, but it involved a series of protracted phone calls where I was past from department to department. I was then sent the wrong change of details documents, still detailing my old car and was full of ambiguous and contradictory information! When I tried to call them back the phone number I was given on these documents it was no longer in use. When I phoned on another number I was placed in a queue and then after 5 minutes was told by voicemail that they were so busy they were not taking any more calls! When I finally got through the operator didn’t understand what had happened and informed me that another set of documents was on its way to me. I was left feeling that one of the reasons we pay such high premiums is that we are paying (literally) for their very poor customer service."
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the overall experience you've had with us. It's not reflective of the level of service we look to provide and I hope that this situation has since being or is on its way to being resolved. If you wish to discuss anything or need any assistance at all please contact us at help@hastingsdirect.com. We'll do all we can to assist you

-Theo
"Terrible service - promised a call back on four occasions to update my card details. This company now have left me uninsured as a result of not receiving my new card details. Ombudsman surely needs to investigate this company, as they are not fit to operate. Disgrace."
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you recently had with us and any inconvenience or distress this would cause. I hope that you've since been able to find cover for your home or vehicle. We are taking measures to improve our waiting times and I hope that should you contact us in the future you can reach us in a timely manner

-Theo
"Spent all day, yes all day calling, four hours on the phone to be told i needed another department, back to hold - from 9am to 3pm. No joke. no excuse, waiting for money that they have not sent, Awful, never have i experienced anything like it. Still not answered or spoken to me."
Ian Pemberton
Unverified Reviewer
"Can you please reply to my review as your people on the phone won't"
Hello Ian,

I'm sorry for the delay concerning a response and that you struggled to get the assistance you need on the phone. If you do need any help at all, you can reach us by contacting help@hastingsdirect.com

-Theo
"Took 2 WHOLE HOURS on the phone and went through 8 people to get through to someone to simply RENEW A POLICY... horrendous, and then they cancelled it, had to call again, this time 56 minutes and 3 people until I got through to someone who could help. Totally useless, most frustration company to deal with ever, stay away!"
Hi Kate, I am very sorry to hear this. If you do need to call again, contact us via Facebook or Twitter and we can arrange a call-out for you.

Ian Pemberton
Verified Reviewer
"Claim number 300-1416248 Further to my review over a week ago.Still no sign of our money even though Copart took the car away on the 25th of Jan.We were told a payment would be made within 24hrs of the car being taken. No email from Hastings,no nothing! Today we rang Natalie at Hastings,...and guess what? She hung up the phone again! This has been a very stressful experience.We have had to prompt Hastings every step of the way,if we hadn't nothing would have been done.Now they have sold our car to Copart and are hanging on to the money that has been paid to us from the other insurance company.They said they would compensate us for all this stress.I will never use Hastings Direct again!"
"I purchased a new car yesterday, which has a smaller engine and more efficient. I contacted Hastings as I already had insurance with them. My quote shot up by £178 - £25 fee to change vehicle, excessive but yes I accept that, but £153 extra, with 13 years no claims, never had an accident, 45 years old, that is excessive. Gone from paying £355 for the year to nearly £550 for the year. So I rang them so they could explain and got some waffle that I couldn't understand and was told it would cost me £149 to cancel the policy. Something about unpaid insured days, I paid my premium 3 days ago. Disgusting fees - Looking now to cancel the direct debit, they can have the £149 monthly for the next 11 months. I find this company absolutely disgraceful. Luckily I have found another company who will insure the same car for £370 for the year, so bye bye Hastings Direct, they rip off loyal customers and don't give a damn!!"
"Quoted £358.58, noticed they'd changed the value of car, change it back and quote jumped to £375.40. paid and then noticed they'd also changed the start date. Phoned to rectify and told £20 cancellation fee and re-quote required to move start date forward 24hours! re-quote was £431 plus £20 cancellation fee on a policy not even started. so £451 total. £92.42 increase in cost to start policy 24hours earlier because THEY alter details. Approx 1 hour on phone was useless. Left my 70/72 year old parents stranded for 2 hours (whilst I arranged alternative cover) as I couldn't drive with no insurance. By far the worst company i've ever dealt with, continually put you on hold to "consult supervisors" but when you ask to speak to supervisors they are "in a meeting all day". Staff clearly put you on hold for extended periods because they don't want to deal with your complaints. Liars, thieves, con-artists. AVOID AT ALL COSTS"
I am sorry to see you received poor service. We always strive to maintain high standards, so it's disappointing to hear we have fallen short of those expectations. You may want to log an official complaint using the form here;

~Connor
"I started to receive letters from Hastings direct telling me I owed them money ? The letter I received was addressed to my name and address but the first name was incorrect,I thought this must be a con so I contacted them, after a 25 minute wait on the phone I was no nearer resolving this. Four more letters down the line and about four hours on the phone I am now waiting for bailiffs to come knock on my door for a debt that doesn't belong to me! Again I have contacted them and are telling me to contact the fraud police ( hang on this is there problem as it's costing them money well run company guys) nobody seems to know what is going on they tell you to call fraud police lol I just gave up after a forty five minutes on hold tried the online approach the form you have to fill out is so confusing I gave up on that half way through this is your problem Hastings sort it out !!!"
Hi, please contact us on help@hastingsdirect.com and we will get out counter fraud team to take a look into this for you.

Hastings Direct is rated 3.13 based on 1,396 reviews