Gatwick Car & Van Rental Reviews

of reviewers recommend Gatwick Car & Van Rental
Courier, Own Driver

Tell us how Gatwick Car & Van Rental made you happy
Me and my partner hired a van from here for 2 days, when collecting the van we were told there were 2 marks on the vehicle and showed us on a diagram on a phone where these were. We were then given the keys and told to look round the vehicle and if we found anything else to let them know. At no time did he tell us to make sure we check the roof!
We found 1 more mark so went in and told them. We were told this would be added to the report.
We were told to put the keys in a post box outside the building when dropping the van back and to leave it on the side of the road- I did think this was odd as usually they would check the vehicle when you drop it back. I said to my partner I was worried as leaving the van on the side of the road means someone could damage it? Anyway we did as they said.
As we were driving on the motorway we took out the damage waiver which cost £20 per day- this was to reduce the excess from £1,200.00 to £250.00, the lowest option they had.
We were due to drop the van back at 4pm but we dropped it back before 2.30pm and as they said, put the keys in the post box and left the van on the side of the road.
At 19:40 we received an email saying the van has additional damage to it. 2 marks- 1 on the roof and another on the passenger door. There was no say of the mark we spotted when collecting the vehicle, so this shows the vehicle hadn’t been checked accurately when it had been dropped back. Also we were told no one would be there when dropping it back, hence putting the keys in the box, so how was the vehicle checked this evening and why did we receive an email at 7.30pm? The gates where closed so no one was there when we dropped the van off at 2.30pm.
I checked my bank and the £250 excess had been taken straight away.
The email stating the extra damage has attached the diagram of the vehicle showing where marks are. This document has a space at the bottom for the customers signature, which has been signed but not by myself? It was closed so how did I sign and agree to this? I didn’t, someone has forged a signature here!
I am so disappointed with the service and I’m very upset. We took very good care of the vehicle, it was brand new so we were very cautious when driving. When arriving at our destination we parked the van on a driveway, the property is also on a private road so we know that no damages were caused here!
We couldn’t go in to discus this straight away as it is 8pm on a Sunday evening and they are closed. We now have to wait until Monday morning.
I wouldn’t recommend using this service, we hope to get this resolved tomorrow but as is currently stands we are out of pocket and I have a signed document that has a signature on it I do not recognise next to ‘customers signature’.
It is a very bad end to a good weekend.
Gatwick car & van hire claimed that the van was damaged on the underside of the bodywork during my hire period. They have withheld the full excess without providing appropriate evidence or even a quote to repair the damage, which they also say won't be carried out until the end of the hire period - which means that they could try and claim the same damage repair costs from other hirers that don't spot this on inspection. The company have failed to answer my emails or follow up queries in a month, meaning I have been forced to pass my case on to my credit card company. This is an unprofessional outfit that has failed to live up to any of their customer services claims or provide appropriate evidence or information to support their actions.
Gatwick Car & Van Rental is rated 4.91 based on 114 reviews