Camps International Reviews

90 Reviews

Camps International provide volunteer trips in Africa, Asia and South America to suit everyone, from schools to gap year travellers, from animal lovers to thrill seekers, there is a perfect experience for everyone. We are the only provider to own permanent camps and employ local people worldwide, meaning that our projects are guaranteed to benefit the communities that we work in.

info@campsinternational.com

Unit 10 Kingfisher Park Headlands Business ParkSalisbury Road

Categories:
Airport Parking
Appliances

Concerned Parent Of Ex-participant
Unverified Reviewer

**PARENTS BEWARE*** - Please ALL parents consider the implications of potentially having to fund the trip with this company if there is any possible shortfall in your fundraising as if your circumstances change and you are unable to commit to the trip there is NO room for a compromise with them. You will NOT be able to retrieve any of the money committed even if a legitimate reason for cancellation is given.
I had hoped that the company, which prides itself in its ethical ways, would understand the circumstance my family found itself in when we had to cancel my sons participation in a trip and we had contributed money for my son's place. After we informed them that we needed to cancel, at NO time was there any compassion shown to our situation and the business head of this company reared its ugly head, throwing its own ethics out the window!! I am aware there is T&C's that cover this company from these kind of cancellation requests which we had signed but I can assure you, the decision to cancel was not taken lightly and with great reluctance though this company did not once acknowledge the reason for cancellation.
Another word of warning is that this is a company, NOT a charity and if any businesses were to sponsor your child, they are unable to declare this as a charitable donation, just in case this would affect your fundraising ideas & any impression given at any information evenings.
I am acutely aware that the company has (and probably continues) to help in the areas they are based in but if you run into any trouble and can't honour the cost of the trip, you have almost 100% lost any contribution paid.
I sincerely hope any of the money that we have paid has gone to some kind of assistance to people they advertise that they help and not into their profits of the company (which I sadly assume has in our case)
I sincerely wish any parent that has their child participating all the best of luck on the opportunity they are involved in, and do not want to adversely alarm anyone to not take part in these trips, I just want to highlight the situation that I found myself in when my circumstances changed dramatically from when we signed up for the trip and the ZERO understanding given by them.
Thank you for your comments and we’d like to say we fully appreciate and sympathise with your situation and reasons for cancelling your son’s place. We apologise that you feel this may not be the case, please let me reassure you that we do genuinely care and have tried to work with you to find an alternative solution to cancelling. We have written to you directly to respond fully to your points and in the interests of protecting your privacy, we will not discuss those in a public forum.

What we would like to explain is a bit more about who we are and what we do.

Camps International is a social enterprise – a business with philanthropic interests at its heart. In 15 years, we have supported nearly 50,000 people in Africa, Asia and South America. We are not a charity; however, we have a charity attached to the company to enable us to do even more amazing work in these rural communities.

The expeditions we run are not organised by the charity, they are organised by our social business – we make this clear on all materials and in our presentations to parents. We are exceptionally proud of what we do and achieve as a company and therefore have no reason to not want to shout about it from the rooftops.

With regards to how and where we spend the money we receive; the funds are used to enable hundreds of life-changing projects to be undertaken each year. Through these we deliver real and sustainable change around the world. We promise that every project we start we finish, without compromise.

We also provide extensive pre-expedition support for anything up to 2 years before departure for all our volunteers.

We hope this answers you questions and should you have any further comments, please contact us directly to see how we may be able to help.
Tyler
Verified Reviewer

Just over two months ago I got back from my trip to Borneo as part of team Jati. I can't put into words just how unbelievable those 4 weeks were, it was the most amazing experience of my life and I made the most amazing friends with everyone from my group. I would just like to thank Camps International because this trip changed my life for the better. I really hope to come back soon ???? Thank you Camps ????????
Verified Buyer

school expedition-Borneo 2016- Team Bajau!
About two months ago I got back from an expedition volunteering in Borneo for a month. Going on this trip was the best decision I've made in my life so far.
The whole experience was amazing and I can't thank the people that I went with and who shared this experience with me enough for being so supportive and also completely hilarious!
I loved going to each of the different camps and meeting the staff and locals out there. It was amazing to be able to learn about their culture and way of life. One thing that really stood out to me was the ability that the people out there had to always be positive and to see the best in everything. It was also amazing to be welcomed so warmly by all of the locals and staff and to feel a part of this huge family.
The places that we visited were so beautiful and I feel extremely lucky to have had this opportunity. I loved getting stuck into the project work such as painting, building, beach cleans, planting, and so much more! It was a pleasure to meet every person out there and I would thank them all again for giving me such a wonderful experience if I could.
Going to Borneo was also such a massive and life changing experience for me as I learnt things about myself and realised the person that I want to be, it has also given me the courage to believe in myself and the determination to overcome barriers that may have been holding me back in the past.
Camps international were brilliant! I can't thank my team leader Sarah enough for being such a massive support and for giving me the experience of a lifetime!! she brought so much positivity to the team and I couldn't have asked for a better team leader!
I can't wait to see where my next adventure takes me.
thank you so much camps international for an experience that I will never forget!
David
Verified Buyer

Amazing, trust-worthy company and would happily go again!
Anna
Verified Buyer

I had the most amazing experience in Uganda this year. It was so eye-opening and I really appreciate all the work and organisation Tony, Steph and Grace did for us during the month we were there. I met so many extraordinary people and had loads of fun. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I'll never forget. Thank you!
Verified Buyer

This experience changed my life. Before going I was shy, insecure and scared of what was coming next. But now I am way more confident and eager to do more things, travel more, and change the world. This really was life changing for me. Thank you Camps International.
Lori
Verified Buyer

It was the best 4 weeks of my life so far! Couldn't fault any of it. Tony and Stef from camp Uganda coordinated our trip exceptionally well and I was very sad to be leaving at the end. It was an experience I will never forget and it was really nice to see the end results of our project work.
Verified Buyer

It was an incredible eye-opening experience.
Verified Buyer

They sufficed, as an organising company
DANIEL
Verified Reviewer

An incredible month in Ecuador. Overlooking the UK staff, The Camp Ecuador team were some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever met, and played a massive part in making the month as amazing as it was! The projects were relevant to the people in the communities, who seemed honoured to have volunteers like us (especially in the new camp - Camp Esmeraldas). Definitely worth all the hard work fundraising, as the life experiences gained from this expedition are far more valuable than the £4000 price tag. Thank you for the amazing opportunity - I would love to go on another adventure with Camps International in the future!
Holly

Borneo Island Trip – 2016
I had an absolutely awesome time on my Expedition to Borneo, I only came back last week and I am dying to go back. All of the staff both in the UK and in country are extremely helpful and accommodating, they helped with every little thing we needed which meant that everyone got what they wanted from the experience. Borneo itself is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to, the people are very friendly despite my bad attempts at speaking Malay! The project work was varied and rewarding. Mantanani island is exactly how you imagine and along with the beautiful scenery, it has a very relaxed vibe. Narawang was a brand new camp, my group were the first people to have visited, I can’t speak highly enough of the team and the people there, they went out of their way to make us welcome and I felt like I really got to immerse myself in the culture of the area! Plus, waking up to the view of mount Kinabalu it was hard not to have a permanent grin on your face. In terms of food, I am still dreaming of my 4 o’clock snacks and If you like rice and noodles it is the place for you. It hard to pick a highlight but kayaking to see the sunrise and seeing turtles are definitely up there! Overall it was an incredible trip and I can’t wait to book my 3rd Camps trip.
Sarah

Borneo Scuba school expedition summer 2015

The most breathtaking , life changing and beautiful month of my life.The staff at each camp as well as in England are all a credit to the company, both being friendly and accommodating to different peoples needs. We were able to experience different cultural activities such as local dances , bracelet making , climbing coconut trees amongst many other activities like Scuba Diving.As well as experiencing a range of work which was a great privilege to be able to help those less fortunate than ourselves.Our work mainly consisted of Gravity Water feeds , as well as beach cleans, cementing , carpentry work and building a reception hall. What each camp had to offer was also amazing , Batu Puteh (the jungle) put us out of our comfort zones but allowed our inner adventurous side to come out. Tinagol allowed us to first hand see the lives we would be changing , with s being able to play activites such as rounders , water balloon flights and piggy back races each lunch time with village children. Manternani was the tropical beach we had all dreamed of visiting , which allowed us to see spectacular views as well as having a bit more relaxation time to experience different activities , like swimming in crystal blue sea. Kota Kinabalu (KK) the capital of Sabah , showed us the city life and allowed us to buy presents for our friends and family with the beautiful market (particularly the night market). Utan paradise, again allowed us to experience the jungle life where the conditions were slightly cooler and we got to go on jungle treks to see the amazing jungle wildlife and nature.Finally Gaya island meant we were able to do water sports such as Scuba Diving and Kayaking as well as zip lining between 2 islands.Sadly we weren't able to finish our Padi course due to the weather conditions not being the best however this didn't affect just how amazing the trip was.Not only did camps allow us to meet friends for life but also gave us memories that will last forever. Due to my trip being so amazing I've decided to travel again with Camps for my Gap Year :)

Muhammad Ali
Verified Reviewer

I went on the 2015 Expedition to Borneo and it crosses my mind everyday. It was such a beautiful experience and Camps' relaxed approached was why we all loved it. TEAM ORANGUTAN!
Chatel Burnett
Verified Reviewer

Thats me back from my one month volunteering in Kenya! I had the most amazing time. The staff were all so loving and friendly, always telling us we were like a big family, and the camp itself was always beautiful either surrounded by beautiful people or beautiful views. What was even better was the chance to change camp to see more of Africa itself aswell as doing so many volunteering work, from building schools, to harvesting beans for the local woman. I have so many stories and life long friends! I loved every minuet.
Alice
Verified Reviewer

I had a great trip with great people and great activities, I would definitely do it again if I had the funds!! :D
Ryan Evans
Verified Reviewer

My volunteering trip to Borneo was the best thing I have ever done! Going to a foreign country with a group of people I have never met before was a little bit scary however we all had the same vision, to help build and grow underprivileged communities together. Working as a team every day helped everyone build an unforgettable bond, truly the trip of a lifetime! Highly rewarding and extremely memorable, camps international do a great job around the world and it was a pleasure to be a part of it all!
Angela Mueller
Verified Reviewer

I had a great time at Camp Borneo! Camps International is very good organized. Everything went well and we had a lot of fun! Thank you for the great experience:)
Kathleen Brew
Verified Reviewer

Looking back on my time there since coming home has only made the experience in Ecuador and Peru seem more incredible. The things I've seen and done, from the classicly amazing tourist attractions (such as the Galapagos and Maccu Pichu) to playing in the fields with the most adorable giggling Quechua children in Moray seem like another world from home now that I'm back. By volunteering in the communities, we truly got to see the whole of the country, not just the tourist's facade. I feel inspired and excited to now live a more meaningful and full life and I can feel that I have become more confident and appreciative as a person. It's only been a week, but I'm already dreaming of where I can volunteer and travel next.
Ellie Smith
Verified Reviewer

I have just come back from the 3 months combined Peru and Ecuador gap year programme with the Galapagos add on. Overall excellent trip! Ecuador was amazing, it has been established for some time and the leader for the gap year programme, Paola was incredible. She was kind, empathetic, motivating and wasn't afraid to get stuck in when it came to project work. It didn't feel like it was her job, leading was her way of life and and she loved it. She always recommended the best places to eat on our weekends away (so no one ever got food poisoning, which was great!). She always was quick to help if you had a problem or when illnesses occurred (one girl got an ear infection, she was quick to take her to the hospital and get treatment promptly.) She ensured we had fun but kept safe, and always listened to our ideas on making volunteer work varied and enjoyable.
Project work in Ecuador consisted of:
-Making environmentally friendly rotating bins out of bamboo, which we made from scratch and inserted into set locations around the beach and town, chosen by the local community.
-Mural painting at the school and at a local nursery.
-Beach clean up
-Turtle awareness day: competition with the local kids from the surrounding communities, making turtles out of sand, face painting and teaching kids at the school about the turtle life cycle, awareness and how they can help.
-Building at a church in the neighbouring town.
-Reforestation

Most of the projects were very physical, but our group was extremely hard working and proactive on all the tasks which meant we often finished projects days ahead of schedule. Paola was excellent at encouraging the momentum and finding new tasks for us.
Project work felt very fulfilling and you really felt like you were making a difference to the local community. The locals were lovely, and the mums often helped out and brought us snacks and home made lemonade during the day (which was amazing!)
The maestros (especially Habico) were fun to work with and could have a good laugh, even with the language barrier. They also pushed us hard to work efficiently but accurately. If something wasn't quite right they would let you know which was great! We were maestros ourselves by the end of it!

We had some amazing experiences in Ecuador, from whale watching, bridge jumping, rafting and canyoning! I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Oh and Maritsa the lady who cooks at camp Costa is fantastic, lovely and an amazing cook!

Peru was a very different experience, it has only been running for a year and still has some improvements to go. At camp Titticaca and Colca, there wasn't enough tools for everyone during building work and we had a leader (Lilly) who was nice one -on -one but not great with groups and didn't get involved in the project work which didn't help with motivation levels. The project work was also mostly building work and at very similar stages at each camp which often got very repetitive. However, later we had an excellent leader Percy, who was amazing and really tried his best for the group, to make work more interesting and varied. He came up with games afternoons, cultural evenings and craft sessions. Contrasting to Lilly he was always hands on and set a great example during project work. He also a addressed the issues of maestros that were difficult to work with and took on ideas and suggestions.

In Peru we trekked Machu Picchu with Richard (I think he is head of operations). He was really good laugh and light hearted and fitted well with the group and did his best to listen to and take on any suggestions from the group.

Project work in Peru:
Rendering outside ad inside walls with cement at a nursery- Camp Colca
Painting and Mural artwork on wall - Camp Colca
Building, teaching and cleaning up of green house - Camp Colca
Barrel painting, teaching and building- Lake Titticaca
Teaching, building work on a new school kitchen and planting seeds in a school vegetable patch- camp Muray

The accommodation overall for Peru and Ecuador is quite basic and consists of hostels, camps and tented camps, and often toilets don't flush and buckets are required, but it kind of adds to the fun of the simple life. The views are incredible and the mountains in Peru were breathtaking, especially in camp Moray and Colca.
The cook Sonya in Peru was lovely and all the kitchen staff really fun and helpful and loved to encourage our Spanish (following lessons taught by Percy and Paola).

Overall, if your thinking if this is for you, if you like hard work, getting deep into the real culture and life of a country, then I would not hesitate, do it! You won't regret it! You gain new skills, meet amazing people and learn that you can live happily with only the basics.
Just go with an open mind and be flexible, some times good things come from spontaneity...

Larissa
Verified Reviewer

I participated in the Gap programme this year and spent 2 months in Kenya - which were definitely some of the best months of my life!
Although the work was hard at times, it was always fun - the Camps staff was just SO incredible! They supported us whenever we needed help, and were always there for us.
But surely the best part about this whole trip was seeing that we were really making a difference in the communities where we worked - whether it was deworming goats, or plastering a school library, it felt like really doing something for the people there.

I absolutely loved my time in Kenya - the people I met were amazing, the country is just incredible, and Camps really made my time there unforgettable!
Camps International is rated 4.81 based on 90 reviews