Your Guitar Academy Reviews

Your Guitar Academy 5 star review on 20th January 2018
Brendan
Your Guitar Academy 5 star review on 18th January 2018
Oscar
Tris Gaskell is my YGA tutor and I have just completed my first block of ten lessons. I am a returning guitarist having played guitar in the past, not very well, with no tuition and with plenty of bad habits etc. Tris is an amazing tutor. He really know his stuff and understands where I am coming from. Having lessons gives me focus for my playing and of course makes me practice regularly. One thing I am now doing, which is something I haven't done before, is practice exercises. This is basic groundwork for playing and is good discipline. Tris makes good use of the YGA coursework worksheets, backing tracks and videos etc. After each lesson Tris sends me comprehensive lesson notes with the relevant coursework. In addition he sends me a detailed video covering the lesson, showing techniques, pieces of music we have covered, exercises etc. These are very helpful. In addition Tris sends notation/tab for various items. All this gives me a complete picture of what I should be doing and is everything I need for my practice at home. Tris makes full use of the eg internet technology to do the above and also during lessons to demonstrate or amplify a point. He is a really great guy who is a regular player in a band and has a love of music. I am very pleased with my progress and always look forward to the next lesson. I am playing music which I really enjoy. I am very lucky to have Tris as my tutor. If you live around Exeter and want lessons, he's your man. Right, now back to practice...
(Tristan Gaskell) - Posted 1 week ago
The lessons are outstanding and the materials provided superb. I have learned so much!!
(Daniele Ciaravolo) - Posted 1 week ago
I’ve been taking classes with Harrison for a little over a month now and I’ve been completely floored by the amount of progress I’ve made. Harrison crafts each class to your skill level with just the right balance of recap and challenges and he offers incredible write ups so that you know exactly what to work on between lessons. He’s a great communicator and goes above and beyond as a teacher, even offering free videos on WhatsApp to help you as you practice at home. The best thing I can say about Harrison is that his passion for music has reignited my love for playing onstruments Could not recommend a better guitar tutor!
(Harrison Blackamore) - Posted 1 week ago
I’m not a big writer of reviews but I had to leave one for the Acoustic Fingerstyle Level 1 course. It’s really great. To borrow from KFC (almost), “It’s fingerpickin’ good!” Thomas is a wonderful teacher and makes it all incredibly clear. I’m returning to the guitar after nearly 50 years away from it and this course has been just the right thing to encourage and motivate me to do better. Honestly can’t wait for the Level 2 course!
Hey Dan! Lars from Sweden here! Thank you so much for your email! You see I am a boy just close to 68 year young🤠. I must say that I really love your courses👍👍👍👍👍. I started to study classical guitar. The latest year I have played only Saxofon. When I discovered your courses I bought 2 new guitar and started over again. It has been many WOW factors and many "wake up calls". For examples this about CAGED chord, never heard about before🤔. At last: Anyone who is serious about guitar playing should check your site! Keep up your good working👍👍👍 All the best to you from Sweden  Yours Lars
Your Guitar Academy 5 star review on 8th September 2021
Hi My name’s Jim. I started playing the guitar about 30 years ago then stopped as I wasn’t making much progress and I got disheartened, so the guitar sat in its case on top of the wardrobe for years gathering dust and making me feel like a failure. Then I decided to give it another go. I did a search on the internet and found Your Guitar Academy. I tried following the beginners acoustic course and got on really well, so I gave some of the beginners electric courses a go. They are great. I can’t recommend Your Guitar Academy highly enough. The video tutorials are superb quality. They give you a fantastic view of the fretboard, the chord shapes and the picking hand. The tutors provide excellent clear explanations in an easy to understand, friendly way. What’s more – they give you real songs to practise your newly acquired skills to and you can slow them down to suit your own speed and gradually build up to the proper speed. The songs are all accompanied by a full band and a singer, making the whole experience realistic. I am now going on to intermediate courses – that’s progress for you!! I have also just completed the new beginners finger style 30 day course. Great! I feel like I can play the guitar now ( a bit anyway!) So, don’t hesitate: look at Your Guitar Academy and get your guitar playing experience under way today. Believe me, it will take over your life! I just love it. Thanks, Dan and team. My name’s Jim. I started palying the guitar about 30 years ago then stopped as I wasn’t making much progress and I got disheartened, so the guitar sat in its case on top of the wardrobe for years gathering dust and making me feel like a failure. Then I decided to give it another go. I did a search on the internet and found Your Guitar Academy. I tried following the beginners acoustic course and got on really well, so I gave some of the beginners electric courses a go. They are great. I can’t recommend Your Guitar Academy highly enough. The video tutorials are superb quality. They give you a fantastic view of the fretboard, the chord shapes and the picking hand. The tutors provide excellent clear explanations in an easy to understand, friendly way. What’s more – they give you real songs to practise your newly acquired skills to and you can slow them down to suit your own speed and gradually build up to the proper speed. The songs are all accompanied by a full band and a singer, making the whole experience realistic. I am now going on to intermediate courses – that’s progress for you!! I have also just completed the new beginners finger style 30 day course. Great! I feel like I can play the guitar now ( a bit anyway!) So, don’t hesitate: look at Your Guitar Academy and get your guitar playing experience under way today. Believe me, it will take over your life! I just love it. Thanks, Dan and team
I am a returning guitarist without previous tuition. I decided to take lessons to give me focus and direction to my playing. I found the YGA website and was impressed with its content and professionalism. The website is most impressive and contains full coverage of different styles for pupils of differing abilities. The courses are well structured with a staged and detailed syllabus with notes(!), diagrams and videos etc. YGA also produce videos and downloadable courses which you can follow separately. Indeed YGA provides a complete package. My tutor is a great guy who really knows his stuff and has the ability to teach methodically, understanding where I am coming from musically and tailors my lessons to suit my needs. He produces excellent lesson notes each week covering what we went over in the previous lesson and detailing 'homework' for the following week. This makes regular use of YGA content. Everything is described clearly and in detail. My tutor also sends uploaded videos which give visual representation of techniques, exercises, pieces of music etc plus notation/tabs of music, backing tracks, exercises etc. My tutor also has the gift of patience and is understanding of my bad habits and other guitar related shortcomings. Today's technology enables a huge amount of 'tools in the teaching workbox' and my tutor makes full use of these. I am very pleased with my progress to date and would fully recommend YGA.
The quality of the videos is fantastic, the write-ups are extremely clear and everything is well thought out and well explained. Would buy more courses in support of YGA if it isn't a finance issue. Overall if you see a course you like or enjoy, you probably should get it to support their good work! Keep it up guys
all the courses are so well set up for all levels of playing the guitar. the quality of the videos, the information is all there for you to follow step by step. there so much to find that you will find the songs style of music you wish to play. Has for Dan and the rest of the staff, they are always happy to help, Iv called a few times for help and the response has been there in know time. if you want to learner guitar look know further.
What I say has been said a thousand times, the first time here by me though. What started off as a pastime when I retired has turned out to be a daily enjoyment, playing the guitar. Mostly down to the commitment of the people behind the various lessons I have been lucky enough to follow. The last recently finished but not forgotten course, will probably bring a long time pleasure going over the lessons until I can say that I’m satisfied, “finger style guitar”. Great course learned from it a lot. My thanks to YGA and please keep up the good work.
I’ve been playing guitar for over 15 years and learned to play the instrument well but never really knew what I was doing. Like many people, I skipped learning theory in favour of learning songs and solos and as a result my playing never developed and I started to get frustrated when playing. YGA’s lessons have improved my playing and understanding of the guitar to no end and every course I’ve taken has been really enjoyable and full of techniques I could apply to my playing straight away. Theory is always explained very clearly and is easy to understand, I really recommend taking the Ionian and CAGED courses, these really improved my playing, song writing and improvisational skill. I can’t recommend YGA enough to players of all levels. You can stop scrolling endlessly through YouTube for guitar lessons, YGA has all you need in one place! Here’s a little riff and solo I wrote after completing the CAGED courses.
Dan I want to thank you so much for all the great courses. I am 68 years old and have been trying to play guitar since I was 16 but never could find a good teacher or the time. I retired in 2019 and now I have the time. I started looking for lessons on the internet and found your site. I could not believe how good your lessons are. I always wanted to know the theory and play blues guitar. I have taken many of your courses and I always learn so much. You are a born teacher. I have taught electronics for over 20 years and your style of teaching makes things understandable for students. During the covid I have been taking many of your courses. I now know how to use the major and minor pentatonic scales and what the CAGED system is all about. I will never be a Jimmy Hendrix but I can now play some leads and chords using the CAGED system all from your lessons. I just love taking your courses because they are always easy to understand which make you want to keep practicing. I am currently taking the second Blues course and the Ionian course. I wish I had a teacher like you when started out. I have been retaking some of your courses where I always learn something that I have missed. Again thank you so very much for your effort with your courses. Ed
I came across Your Guitar Academy while trawling through tuition videos on You Tube. As a teacher myself, what immediately struck me was how well structured the lesson was, with good pace and clear instructions. The video quality was excellent and I probably made more progress than with any other video I'd ever found. As I was so impressed, I visited the website, even though I had no intention of buying a course. I'd been down that route before with some major companies and every time I'd ended up wishing I'd saved my money. It didn't take long for me to change my mind, as all of the courses were very well priced and seemed to be really well structured. I've now had quite a few courses from YGA so I feel well qualified to comment on their strengths and weaknesses. Every course has been excellent, but with the early courses I bought, I felt there were a few things that might improve them. I emailed Dan, offered my suggestions, and I was surprised to get a personal response from him that really welcomed my input, talking positively about all of my ideas. It has been really gratifying to see that many of the more recent courses include features that I suggested. I've never actually met Dan, not even on camera, yet I always feel comfortable emailing him and it feels like I'm talking to a friend. It sounds crazy but it's true. I've been badgering him endlessly about doing an Adrian Smith player study and he always takes it in good humour, promising that they will get to it as soon as possible. With any other company, I wouldn't believe them, but if Dan tells me it's coming, I have no doubt it will arrive. YGA really does listen to feedback and suggestions and when you buy a YGA course, you really do become part of a family. I really can't recommend YGA highly enough. They are, hands down, the best guitar tuition provider I have ever encountered. The quality of the courses is so high, and the support you receive is so good, that I stopped having lessons with an actual tutor because I'm making more progress with these video courses.
These are great guys and really helpful...I love what they do. Videos are high quality and the teaching is spot on. Its up to you to put the effort in when they tell you. Keep up the good work
Its an privilege to get very detailed course that we could get free without any price. If you are in the way of progressing theoretical and practical then you will really appreciate their work.
I had no idea how to play guitar and no musical training, but at 65 I decided to have a go as a retirement project (or late mid life crisis?). I bought a cheap electric guitar and Encore (the manufacturer) directed me to Guitar Academy. In a couple of weeks my fingers hurt but I had a few basic chords and could strum a little. So I bought an expensive acoustic guitar which I prefer. I am amazed at how much there is in music to learn, but these guys make it simple - one step at a time and progressively more difficult. The lessons are professionally presented by friendly guys who certainly know their subject. I have just been doing the beginners lessons but there is so much more there to learn. 100% recommended.
First of all I want to thank you for providing me those lessons they really help I'm from Morocco and we don't have musical schools over here so I had to use YouTube videos to learn it frustrating my fingers were slow I always lose attention and hope then suddenly I get recommended to one of your videos by my friends yes haha you have students in Morocco your videos really helpful I'm not saying that to be polite I really mean it your lessons are really helped me you take things slowly for beginners out there you explain every single thing you motivate them and that's how a guitar teacher should do I want to thank you for providing me those lessons I'm just at lesson 17 but in those 17 days I made a progress that I didn't made in 3 months and that's a win for me and you
This course is gold!!! If you want to improve your guitar skills with an amazing method and a great quality, stop looking for it, you have found Your guitar academy and that's all you need.
In the Ultimate Pentatonic Soloing Pathway you will learn the golden tips and tricks about improvising on an electric guitar. In just a few weeks my improvisation skills and knowledge have improved enormously. I can recommend this course to anyone who wants to improve their improvisation skills. It's worth the investment, much better than hours of searching for the right YouTube videos.
Your Guitar Academy 5 star review on 21st July 2021
Evening YGA. Having just completed another lesson, which was a challenging lesson this week especially for someone of my standard and age, I cannot give enough praise for my tutor Salvatore. Even when I cannot achieve what Salvatore asks, he does not move on but patiently goes through the process explaining what I need to do and how to do it until I understand. As previously stated in a previous review, Salvatore is an excellent tutor. This review has not changed if anything I can only give further praise for making an middle aged mans dream of of playing a guitar come true.
(Salvatore Schiano) - Posted 2 months ago