Pod Volunteer Reviews

95% of reviewers recommend Pod Volunteer

About Pod Volunteer: Pod Volunteer is an award winning non-profit organisation arranging ethical, inspiring and supported volunteering opportunities around the world since 2001

info@podvolunteer.org

3 Crescent Terrace

How would you rate Pod Volunteer?

Verified Buyer
"My whole experience of POD has been extremely positive from my initial enquiry right the way through my adventure. As a mature traveller I particularly liked that they recognised that and didn't assume at any point I was on my gap year. I would be more than happy to use PoD again hopefully sooner rather than later."
Beth S
Beth S
"Pod Volunteer gave me an opportunity to do something incredibly special! Volunteering in a wildlife sanctuary in the beautiful Costa Rican rainforest was an experience I would not have done on my own, without the guidance and expertise of Pod. They encouraged me and supported me throughout the planning process, and they were responsive when I had questions or concerns."
Martha E
Martha E
"Pod made it really easy to have a great experience at the Belize zoo."
"Pod was very helpful with finding programs and making the booking process go smoothly. I think they could’ve had slightly more up to date information on the program but that’s only a minor drawback."
Verified Buyer
"Checked in on me during my first week at my placement and on my return."
"I enjoyed my volunteering experience with POD in Nepal. I was supported throughout the booking process in the UK as well as while I was on placement. I was fully informed of the projects I would be involved in and how the POD charity was contributing to these organisations locally. I liked that they spoke about the bigger picture in what they were trying to achieve and how any little changes or impact I made contributed to this. I would fully recommend POD."
"I am thankful to PodVolunteer for orchestrating the opportunity to participate in a wildlife rescue project at Kids Saving the Rainforest in Costa Rica. During our two weeks outside of Quepos, we experienced working with a broad range of animals, living on the edge of the rainforest, and joining forces with/learning from an interesting and dedicated group of people from throughout the world. It was truly a wonderful, sometimes challenging experience. Pod Volunteer’s information regarding the volunteer opportunity was honest and thorough. They were responsive in handling all of our queries and following through on orchestrating many of the details of our trip. I hope someday to participate in another Pod Volunteer program."
"Pod volunteer prepared me before I went on my trip and were very easily contactable with quick replies whilst I was away. Nothing to complain about! Everything was set up for me, all I had to do was arrive!"
"Helpful, enthusiastic staff, well planned and organised volunteer opportunities. Have been on 3 different trips with POD, all have been excellent."
"It allowed me to gain experience in looking after elephants, from feeding, showering and cleaning enclosures. I met a lot of like minded people from around the world who were very friendly even tho' I was one of the oldest!! I would fully recommend taking the opportunity to go on a Pod organised outing."
"Pod made it really easy to have a great experience at the Belize zoo."
"• I really appreciate the flexibility that V by V offers to volunteers. Brendan and the local management team listen carefully to your feedback and try hard to accommodate your personal aspirations as a volunteer. If you want to do something different they will try very hard to accommodate your request. • V by V have a clearly stated vision and values by which the charity is run and I could clearly see tangible results of this during my time there e.g. hand washing regimes now undertaken by all school children. • I found it reassuring to be able to see that donations and other external funding that is put into projects really does make a difference to the village communities e.g. the communities use of schools, wells, crèches, clinics that have been built by V by V and funded by donations. The building work that has taken place and is continuing is very impressive and clearly serves many village communities in areas where they most need it. • The local management team e.g. Aikins and Emmanuel are very professional and make a significant impact on the day to day operations. They made Kathy and me feel at ease throughout our stay and were very accommodating and concerned to make our time there safe and enjoyable. • Brendan the Operations director is excellent and was very supportive of our work during our stay. It will be interesting to see how the organisation and future projects fares under new leadership following his departure. His presence and skills will be missed but hopefully a new person(s) will bring about new opportunities to extend the good work already done. • I found the Abenta base a great place to be situated. It’s a lovely village with great views. The community is very friendly and you meet some lovely Ghanaian people. Its central location makes it convenient for most of the volunteering activities and despite the feeling of remoteness, it’s only a couple of hours from Accra. • The facilities at Abenta are basic but comfortable and the procedures to ensure the welfare of volunteers have been carefully considered and are effective e.g. dish washing regime using Milton sterilizing tablets and hand washing with disinfectant. The result is that the base and its facilities are very clean and the risk of illnesses is minimized. • The mud hut was also a great experience for us as a couple. It was clean and comfortable and right in the centre of the village community so we really felt at the heart of the community - no need for a sauna though!"
"Excellent support pre-placement, accurate information about what to expect both from the project and in Cambodia, and genuine interest about the experience on my return."
"Absolutely amazing company! Helped me through each step right from the start booking my volunteering trip to Thailand. They answered any questions I had straight away and all the staff were really helpful! They sent me all the documents I needed and explained each step which was so helpful. I would definately use POD Volunteer again when booking volunteering journeys all over the world, 100% would recommend, especially to first time single travellers"
Beverley A
Verified Buyer
"Wow, what an experience. I start by saying I am aged 60. only relevant if you are feeling that ‘age thing’, which rarely I do but prior to joining I looked for reviews from older applicants but could not find any so here goes. Go to the gym, do strength exercises, climb up a few hills – generally get fit. I do carry a few extra pounds so don’t let that worry you. I travelled alone and lived in my shared hut opposite gibbon island. Yes, we used our mosquito nets and spray, we had no hot water but frankly at the end of a very tiring day nobody cared. We did have our own bathroom – it was all very basic except for the experience. Waking up to a gibbon chorus every day was unbelievable, (I stopped myself from wringing the cockerels neck). 6am there is a steady flow of zombie volunteers walking to the volunteer house checking to see where you would be spending your day. I feel an expert at making banana balls, cutting up fruit and could get a blue peter badge for what I can do with elephant poo. You are hands on with the elephants, you will walk and shower these majestic amazing giants but never without the permission of their mahout. I still have ringing in my ear “Bev get out of there, run” bad tempered ele but all under control (catch my breath) It is no doubt hard work, the word ‘special project’ still makes me groan as it could be scrubbing out an enclosure, treading elephant poo or frankly anything and in the heat of the day it is tough but if you are thinking of it, DO IT, the volunteers are young but I never felt too old. They are all inspiring as they want to look after the animals and our planet which is all our futures. You will carry around heavy buckets, harvest the banana trees, never be far from your gloves - all in the heat but if something becomes too much just ask to do something else, there is so much to experience, just give it all a go. I spent one day on Wildlife, another experience I will treasure. POD answered all my pre-visit questions, their advice was efficient, helpful and so encouraging"
"Very friendly and helpful always there to answer any questions I had.. would definitely recommend POD to any of my friends wanting to volunteer"
"The orphanage I arranged to go through via pod was lovely. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately I was disappointed to find out that the majority of the money I paid went towards Pod organisation rather than to the orphanage itself, as other volunteers there who booked directly through the orphanage paid less than half of what I paid"
Hi Rebecca,

Thanks very much for your feedback and I’m delighted to hear that you had a good experience volunteering in Thailand. With the fee you pay, we do try to be as up front as possible on this and publish a full breakdown of fees on our website (https://www.podvolunteer.org/about-us/where-the-money-goes) so I’m sorry you were disappointed about this and we would be very happy to chat it through with you.

We charge a fee to volunteers for all our placements in order to cover the overseas costs of volunteering and the costs of running our organisation in the UK. We keep the fees as low as we can but we have to ensure that we cover all the costs involved – the home asks for our support to find volunteers and recognises that we will have to charge a fee in addition to their local costs. Please do get in touch if you would like any further information.

Best wishes, Lucy
"The booking and planning through out was easy and stress free the volunteer coordinator was friendly and answered any questions I had within no time at all"
Christian L
Verified Buyer
"Really cool experience; very well organized; good food, great staff in country, good mix of people in the group. Would do it again!"
"Pod Volunteer help me to travel confident and secure"
"Very professional and super friendly!! They are always so happy to help even with the most datfest of questions and trust me I asked some really silly questions as this was the first time of travelling alone without my husband. There is always a point of contact which is very reassuring and they also make sure you have everything in place from injections needed to the correct paperwork. I highly recommend them."
Pod Volunteer is rated 4.68 based on 222 reviews