Sport Lived Reviews

97% of reviewers recommend Sport Lived

About Sport Lived: Sport Lived is a gap year company which arranges for young people to play and coach sport in Australia, New Zealand & South Africa!

ian.dodd@sportlived.co.uk

Sport Lived,Sir Colin Campbell Building, Triumph Road,

How would you rate Sport Lived?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

Verified Buyer
"My son enjoyed his stay in Brisbane and was looked after well"
Verified Buyer
"I went on the Sport Lived rugby union academy programme in Brisbane and had a fantastic experience that will stay with me forever. The coaching I received over there from both the Academy itself and the University of Queensland Rugby Club was top class. Unsurprisingly many professional players and even Wallabies have come from the setup at UQRFC. There were a few inconsistencies in what was advertised as included in the Academy, for example there was no nutritionist but there were sports psychology classes. The sportlived contact out there, John Mitchel, was brilliant, helping out with anything and everything along with organising some excellent socials. The premium accommodation I stayed in whilst I was there was very high quality and I would definitely recommend it. I would strongly recommend a Sport Lived programme to anyone thinking about going on a high level sporting gap year!"
Clare Davies
"The company lived up to it's name and gave Jake an amazing experience. He was looked after, treated with respect and given a first class hockey experience which has inspired him to keep the fitness level up for his University in September! He was all alone going out to Melbourne and having been met at the airport, was supported in his life in Australia; from being a member of a hockey team and playing for the Reserves, to being given some experiences of life down under! He loved surfing! Thanks Sport Lived, Jessy, Kathy and all the others for looking after him so well!"
"Our son had a great 6 months in Melbourne and his cricket seems to have benefited as he is now in the "elite" training core for his Uni! The flat was well located; he got on well with his flat mates (several he is keeping up with now) and enjoyed flat life - perhaps too much; they played indoor cricket with oranges and we lost most of our flat deposit! He looked forward to the socials Sport Lived organised and, the major sporting events they were given tickets too were mostly top class; sitting in the equivalent position at the Melbourne tennis championships to the Royal Box at Wimbledon can't be bad. Our only concern was that earning money to keep afloat proved tougher than anticipated and at one time threatened to derail the enterprise. There were opportunities to travel (the Great Ocean route) and for sorties outside the City but don't spend Christmas in Melbourne -apparently "it's closed". Sport Lived were our "comfort blanket" for what was, for our son, a hugely maturing, fun and memorable experience. He can't wait to go back and see all his Melbourne friends again!"
"We booked some way in advance for my son to travel to Melbourne and play a full season of rugby with Melbourne RFC. Unfortunately, two months before travel my son ruptured his ACL whilst playing for his local club and had to have reconstructive surgery. Sport Lived gave us the opportunity to cancel - however, we made the decision that as my son had organised a year out for this purpose, and he had no other plans, we would continue with the trip minus the rugby matches! My son found the accommodation top class (Space Hotel) and Jessie and Kathy wonderful - Kathy organised some brilliant days out for the. Due to a last minute price increase (the Brexit vote!) he had to stay in a four man room and not the two man room, as organised. I would say that for a six month stay, a two man room would have been preferable. The rooms do not cater solely for SL - my son did have a constant change in room mates (not SL) - not always favourable! The rugby players (there were only a couple of them) arrive between seasons. When my son arrived, he said there were far more SL summer attendees, which he preferred. Three months into his six month trip, he said it was much quieter and less attendees for the winter sports (plus Melbourne weather does start to deteriorate!). Overall, he had a great experience - we would recommend SL to any sport loving individual who is interested in combining travel and sport for their gap year."
Thomas Pullen
Verified Buyer
"Had a great time in aus!"
"Awesome experience! Everyone involved was incredibly friendly and helpful."
Theo Hannah
Verified Buyer
"Brisbane was amazing, playing with the red heavies was exactly what I needed. Everyone at the club was friendly, and made me feel at home. The quality of coaching and players really pushed me to work hard and become a better player. Sport lived was well organised and John was an absolute legend taking us surfing and to see a few reds game amongst other activities he organised for us."
Kath Loxton
Verified Buyer
"Sport Lived looked after my son and seemed to give just the right balance of supervision and independence. Great transition between living at home and Uni."
"Our son did both cricket and football whilst out in Melbourne. He had a great time there and was kept very busy with the coaching and playing opportunities that Sport Lived had arranged. I felt he was well looked after, and the local representatives were very quick in responding to the one or two questions that we had. All in all an excellent way of spending part of a gap year."
Verified Buyer
"My son enjoyed his stay in Brisbane and was looked after well"
Anthony Price
Verified Buyer
"Just being able to have a once in a lifetime opportunity that perhaps not many people will get to experience coaching and refereeing abroad in their chosen sport or activity."
Hugo Van De Graaf
Verified Buyer
"The Sport Lived rowing program was an awesome experience. Melbourne is a great city to row in. The river is flat everyday and it makes training there really enjoyable. Because all the clubs are on the same road next to the city, the atmosphere around them is great. You get to know everyone in your club quickly and you also interact with a lot people from other clubs as well. I also got to go on training camps (where I discovered different places of Australia) and on competitions. The best regatta was without a doubt the national championships in Penrith, Sydney. Getting to row on the Olympic course was one of the greatest experience I had during my program. On the side of rowing, I got to live in a really cool suburb of Melbourne, South Yarra. It was extremely convenient because it was easy to get to my rowing club and the suburb itself was awesome."
"Sport Lived gave me the opportunity to live on my own while still having a support group of friends and adults that could help me along the way. My tennis coaching program in Melbourne went flawlessly and I made so many friends from all over the world. The group socials that were put on by the local sport lived leaders were very well run and fun. I remember surfing, going to the Formula 1 Grand Prix, going to food festivals and wildlife sanctuaries. I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone that wants to travel and get great international work experience."
"To live in the most liveable city in the world got better and better and was an experience never to forget. Loved the football team I was playing for and the different approach they take to back home along with all the people involved. There is a level of ability for everyone and that could be promoted more as I enjoy playing at a lower level. I also had the benefit of training with higher teams which worked well in pushing me on further. Playing away at other grounds was interesting and the coordinators do what they can to make social events as good as they can be. Gym access at the Australian open park was cool and something I wasn't expecting to get. Improvements I would suggest are to increase the numbers of people taking part in each particular programme and find a way to make the football available in more times of the year. Perhaps doing 5-a-side during times when the football season isn't running. I didn't regret many things but it would've been nice to be there when the grand prix was on (1 day before I arrived) which could've easily been done."
"Sport Lived was abosultely amazing at making us feel so welcome to Australia, especially being an 18 year old moving to the other side of the world. The location where I was based was right in the city so prefect to experience Melbourne life. I learnt a lot from the swim teaching program and it really helped me develop my skills. Overall a life changing experience."
"I loved my sport lived experience and met some lovely people. The hockey club I played for were so welcoming and all so nice, the gym was amazing, the accommodation was good, and the socials were so much fun. Had some exceptional extra hockey sessions and gym PT sessions. Plus Melbourne is an amazing city!!"
"Sport Lived gave us (as parents) real comfort that our son had support and 'away from home parents' to keep an eye on him when he was so far away. The ability for youngsters to follow their dream in an organised and cost effective way is what makes Sport Lived so good. An excellent organisation arranging those special experiences..."
"I would recommend Sport Lived to any parent who would like a bit of security and structure when their child heads off on their travels, especially if they are into their sport! My son has enjoyed the experience twice now. The first time when he coached in Melbourne and the second time when he traveled to Dunedin and Melbourne to play. The level of support for both participants and parents is excellent both before and during the trip. My son stayed in premium accommodation in Melbourne, which was excellent, and formed great friendships both times. We were lucky enough to visit him on his first trip and were pleasantly surprised by the location and quality of the accommodation, The opportunities my son had to join a local club and become more independent certainly stood him in good stead for a full time career in cricket coaching Aside from this, the social activities are great including the opportunity to watch a test match at the MCG and to go to the Australian open,"
"My 18 year old son spent 3 months in Melbourne earlier this year doing a tennis coaching placement as part of his gap year. He had an enjoyable time to say the least and learned new coaching skills in a great placement organised by Sport Lived. He shared an apartment with 5 other young men who were on the cricket programme and the apartment was lovely in a fantastic part of Melbourne - all organised through Sport Lived. As a parent it was great to know that whilst he was being independent and experiencing life on the other side of the world, there was also the reassurance that in case of emergency there was someone in Melbourne from Sport Lived to call on. Fortunately this was not required but the peace of mind knowing that he was part of the Sport Lived programme was quite liberating. He experienced everything Melbourne had to offer, including some fantastic activities organised by Sport Lived. Can highly recommend both from a parent and a participant point of view."
Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your son's Sport Lived Tennis programme.

It's great to hear that he had a good time & enjoyed the his tennis coaching placement & the social events we arranged during his time in Australia.

Thanks for choosing to undertake a Sport Lived programme.

Very best wishes

Ian Dodd
Director
Sport Lived Limited
"Had a great time on my sport lived programme. I was in Melbourne and the staff over there were brilliant at helping you settle in and get adjusted to life away from home. The accommodation was in a great location and which gave me the opportunity to really explore the city. The staff in England are also great and make sure you are well prepared for you trip. Would highly recommend!"
Hi Dan

Thanks a lot for writing a review on your Sport Lived programme.

It's great to hear that you had a good time & found our staff in the UK & in Melbourne to be helpful & supportive. I'm also really pleased that you liked your accommodation.

Thanks so much for undertaking a Sport Lived trip.

Very best wishes for the future.

Kind regards