Salamander Adventures Reviews

98% of reviewers recommend Salamander Adventures

How would you rate Salamander Adventures?

Stephen Hardeman
Verified Buyer
"Simon was an excellent guide. The accomodations were above average and the scenery was fantatstic."
Kathy Kirkley
Verified Buyer
"I traveled with Salamander Adventures July 19-July 30. Tour leader was Luc (Luke). We were a group of 6 from US, Canada and Great Britain as well as Scotland. The trek around the circumference of the Matterhorn as well as the Obereland Alps was beyond fantastic! We had picnics and supern trekking each and every day and excellent accomodations as well as coffee breaks!! Luke was supreme in his guiding as well as participant satisfaction! I highly recommend this tour leder as well as Salamander Adventures: very affordable, great correspondence and satisfying trails. Weather is always a toss up but one is able to easily adjust!"
"Used Salamander tours again in 2017 for the Matterhorn to Eiger trip. Again was not disappointed. The trip was Epic! Awesome views and daily hikes. Included a nice mix of hiking out of Zermatt using one hotel as the base and also point-to-point trekking using family owned refuges. Luke the leader is very accommodating, kind and experienced. We added the Jungfrau Top of Europe day trip which was great. Highly recommend Salamander Tours and this Switzerland trek. Physically challenging yet very rewarding. Salamander tours takes care of all the details allowing one to really enjoy the trip."
Felicity Wolohan
Verified Buyer
"This was one of the most outstanding adventures! We self guided and everything we needed was perfectly organised by Salamander and a lot of treats we didn't expect along the way such as the location and quality of the hotels we stayed in. Salamander send you in the opposite direction to the norm which means you get lovely periods of quiet where you can relax and enjoy your adventure more peacefully sandwiched by good morning and good evening passers by - I loved this! I didn't want this adventure to end. Thank you Salamander"
Kathy Kirkley
Verified Reviewer
"The trek around the circumference of the Matterhorn in Switzerland and also the Oberland Alps with Luc as our intrepid and most excellent guide was supremely superb! There are a lot of ups and downs and it is physically challenging but so rewarding with the views, spending time with interesting folks and laying one's head down in a comfy hut! It was such fun to have picnics, challenge myself daily, see both ibex and chamois and explore new habitats. I willingly would love to travel with Salamander Adventures again ( also with Luc (Luke?) anyway , he MADE the trip! Thanks Salamander!!!"
Janet Hache
Verified Buyer
"I did the Matterhorn to Eiger trek in July 2017 with Salamander Adventures. This is my second trek in as many years with Salamander. As with the first trek, I felt very organized in preparing for this adventure. Natalie is very responsive to emails. The hotels and two hostels we stayed in were clean and the food was very good at the end of a long hiking day. Our tour guide Luke Emms is so professional and had us prepared each evening in what to expect the next day. I highly recommend Salamander Adventures!"
Jean Grazel & Raymond Grazel
Verified Buyer
"My husband and I did the self guided Tour du Mont Blanc. The trek was spectacular. Basic good information to prepare for having a successful trek was given by Salamander. Unfortunately the self-guided folks were kept separated from the guided group. This was very unfortunate and we enjoyed talking to some folks and sharing experiences with the guided group. No reason why we couldn't all be seated at dinner together or have been allowed to mingle after they had their private prep and/or debrief. The separation really made for weird dynamics. The notes given to us for the self-guided trek were quite lacking in detail and apparently they have not changed or been updated in quite some time. Some days they were completely useless and we needed to rely on our maps and the guidebook we purchased. We also found out that the guide had never even read them. We loved the Tour du Mont blanc and I thank Salamander for giving us the experience but I was not satisfied with the service. I would not book with Salamander again."
""The Tour Mont Blanc (TMB) hike organized by Salamander was excellent. Natalie and the front office made sure all our arrangements were made and let us enjoy the trip. Our guide, Simon M., was fantastic. He provided confidence to the group on where we were going and how much fun it would be. Simon was great to talk to and provided excellent information on the geology and history of the Mont Blanc area. He quickly learned the abilities of the group and provided bonus hikes and various challenges each day. Simon would also keep company the hiker that might have needed some encouragement to get up a specific climb. Simon purchased local cheese and meats each day for our picnic lunches. Each day the hotels and meals were excellent. We always had a hot shower, private room, a three course meal for dinner, and a full buffet breakfast. Italy won the best breakfast title and Swiss for dinner. The group we hiked with was diverse, well prepared, and tons of fun. We enjoyed our hike very much and have already recommended Salamander and Simon to several friends.""
"We did the TMB 10-day trek this summer and it was a fabulous experience with beautiful scenery, a fun group of people and Simon was the perfect guide. All of the hotels were well chosen and very accommodating to our needs, even to the point of preparing vegetarian dishes for some of our group. I am happy to recommend Salamander Adventures as a first choice touring company."
Nathan Kline
Verified Buyer
"Our 10-day self-guided TMB was stress-free thanks to Salamander Adventures. They were very quick in answering questions and provided excellent suggestions throughout the entire planning process. The hotel reservations and luggage accommodations were wonderful and allowed us to concentrate our our hike and enjoy the countryside. If you are interested in the TMB, yet concerned about language barriers and logistics, I highly recommend Salamander Adventures to you."
"We had a fantastic trip, hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc with Salamander and I would certainly recommend the company to anyone looking to take on the tour with a little luxury in the form of hotels and luggage! The communications from Salamander in the run up to the trip were really clear, their choices of hotels along the route were excellent and it was a really nice experience meeting the other hikers and the guide who were going around at the same time as we were. I can also recommend their choice to hike the route clockwise, avoiding a lot of morning traffic on the trails. My partner and I picked the unguided option, being reasonably experienced hikers, and found the trails very clear and the navigation relatively simple. We enjoyed the freedom to move at our own speed and to add detours, but I must say that the guided group who moved around the tour with us seemed to have a fantastic time, and I imagine got a lot of interesting insights on their tour from their guide. I would recommend this option if you're less sure of yourself in the mountains. The tour is absolutely stunning of course. We made some wonderful friends from among the other unguided members of the party, and I would go back in a shot! As much as I now fancy strapping my rucksack on and doing the tour unaided, I must say that seeing our luggage and fresh clothes every few days, and knowing we had a reliable company to contact in the case of any issues made the whole trip even more of a treat."
Randall Nelson
Verified Buyer
"SALAMANDER ADVENTURES WAS GREAT (5 STAR) (TOUR DU MONT BLANC) Pros: Pre-Trek responsive with booking, emails, phone calls etc. and detail oreinted Guide-(Simon) Professional, knowledgeable, experienced, available (5 Star Guide) Accomodations-Superb (better than expected) Food-(Vegetarians here) Did all they could to appease all appetites. Cost-Very reasonable price for high quality of service ***** HIGHLY RECOMMEND SALAMANDER For the TMB"
"Salamander was great- all of the arrangements were as expected the whole time and it was a great adventure!"
"My Wife and I did the TMB in August 2017 We choose Salamander because everything other than the airport transfer and flights were included .We opted for the self guided version The notes provided were easy to follow and whilst I did refer to my map occasionally there were no navigation issues. The accomidation and bag transfers were great and gave a nice balance between adventure tracking and comfort. There is nothing like a nice bath and a comfortable bed after 20 k in the mountains .The really good thing about the company is there flexibility and personal touch when you require it.Every one new Phil !!"
Alan Jones
Verified Buyer
"Good accommodation ,faultless luggage transfer and going clockwise"
William Torrie
Verified Buyer
"Had a fantastic trip with salamander adventures on the Matterhorn to eiger hike ,the organisation was second to none,it was exactly as the itinerary said,our guide Luke was first class,had obviously done his homework prior to the trip,answered most questions thrown at him!,,,no complaints regarding the accommodation and the food,the views on the hikes were absolutely stunning we were fortunate with the weather so that helped,would recommend going up the jungfrau railway a wee bit expensive but well worth it if the weather is clear,would certainly recommend the Matterhorn to eiger trip worth every penny,well done salamander adventures!"
Francoise Mulligan
Verified Buyer
"Salamander Adventures - Contact was Natalie. All questions answered in a timely manner. Easy sign up with credit card. Our guide Luke met us at the airport and delivered us to our room in Zermatt for the start of our trek. The hikes were steep but manageable. Luke was able to juggle the needs of the groups various skill levels with ease. The lodging in the mountains was basic, valley B&B's provided good breakfasts and adequate choice for dinners. Kanderstag Horn Blowers provided a great cultural experience. Although not included in the trip, Jungfraujoch Top of Europe excursion is highly recommended. A very enjoyable trek. The weather was cool and clear and made for some spectacular views of the Matterhorn and the Eiger."
Raghavendran Mahalingam
Verified Buyer
"We had a great time on the Tour Du Mont Blanc. We did a self-guided tour with Salamander. They organized all the accommodations and meals for us and everything went perfectly. When you are hiking over 100 miles over 8 days, getting the right food is so critical. We usually struggle with getting good vegetarian food on trips which include meals as part of the package, but this trip was a pleasant surprise, since we got great food at every stage of the hike. They also provided detailed directions with alternate route suggestions in case of bad weather. This came in useful on our last day, since the final pass had had snow previous night and we were advised to stay low on the alternate route. We will definitely use Salamander for our hiking trips in the future."
Neil Bonsteel
Verified Buyer
"We had a stellar guide, all the hotels we stayed at were between adequate and wonderful, and the entire hike was a great balance between challenging and being indulgent."
Christine Groves
Verified Buyer
"Our holiday was so easy - the walking was sometimes challenging but everything else was perfectly arranged. We were very impressed by Salamander"
Salamander Adventures is rated 4.91 based on 57 reviews