Walks in Africa Reviews

100% of reviewers recommend Walks in Africa

About Walks in Africa: Specialists in tailor-made holidays in Southern and East Africa, aimed at walkers - we cover mountain and coastal trekking, walking safaris, and other travel experiences around these

angus@walksinafrica.co.uk

Hill Oak Farm
Ampney St Mary

Tell us how Walks in Africa made you happy

Carol K
"I can’t recommend Angus and Walks in Africa highly enough. His personal knowledge of South Africa means that the places he recommends to stay, the guides he uses for hiking and the routes he provides for driving from place to place, are fantastic. He takes the time to find out what matters to you and what your budget is, before coming up with an itinerary that is perfect for you. Whatever you THINK you want to do, I would recommend listening to what Angus suggests as you will have wonderful experiences that you didn’t know existed! Our holiday was at VERY short notice and he created a wonderful itinerary that we couldn’t have hoped to put together without his specialist knowledge. A huge thank you from us both Angus."
Clyde L
"Our 5.5 day trek in the Drakensberg Mts of S. Africa was very well planned and the supporting documents gave very complete information on what to expect as well as what to bring. Everything ran very smoothly and the friendly and easy going local female Zulu guide kept us very well informed about all the local flora & fauna we encountered as well as going over the trek plan for each day. The team of porters gave excellent support and made sure we arrived at a fully set up camp each afternoon, with a hot drink ready and waiting. The fine weather was an added bonus that made the trip even more special and memorable."
Robert N
"Angus of Walks in Africa provided a personalised service to provide a wonderful Trek in the Drakensberg for my wife and I which we were able to combine with our own independent travels in S Africa. His practical counsel and detailed information was invaluable. All logistics worked smoothly. The trek with our mountain guide, Zee, and her crew was a superb adventure. Highly recommended!"
"We have just returned from the best holiday in Southern Africa. We discussed our plans with Angus who made suggestions and recommendations- we then left everything to Angus and so glad we did. Itinerary and accommodation was excellent and everything ran so smoothly. This is the 2nd trip Angus has organised for us - each trip was very different but equally memorable. Angus was a pleasure to deal with and we have no hesitation in recommending Walks in Africa to organise hiking and/or safari holidays in Southern Africa."
"Highly recommended! Well organised and they think of all the details that matter which makes for a great trip. Efficient and reliable throughout. From beginning too end it was a fabulous experience for my daughter and me. The trip itself was really well put together against the criteria we supplied. Spot on for what we wanted. Great guide in the Drakensberg mountains, accommodation more than satisfactory, trekking routes stunning and with just the right amount of challenge we wanted. Thank you Walks in Africa!!"
"Walks in Africa is a top-notch, very personalized thoughtful travel service. And Angus tailored every part of our trip to fit with our specific needs. I'm an avid hiker and backpacker and my travel companion, while very fit and interested in the outdoors, had not yet been on a multi-day backpacking trek. Every step of the way Angus was there to support us and create an experience just for us (not some boilerplate package he reuses like most other travel agencies would use). Also, he shares a passion for Africa and the outdoors and genuinely was interested in our experience there. I highly recommend Walks in Africa to anyone looking for an outdoor experience where you get to see the real Africa and not just make stops on a tourist circuit. Moreover, while I was looking for a more extreme high elevation trip, Angus is very tuned into all levels of adventure and would be great at creating a less aggressive more day walk oriented trip (while still not putting you on an itinerary with hoardes of tourists)."
"A superb holiday which was expertly arranged for us. My wife and I only decided we definitely wanted to go to South Africa a month before we actually left, and we were most fortunate to have Angus on hand, who helped us finalise a very varied itinerary. We had a six day trek in the Drakensberg, a tour of battle sites, a safari and then looked at the Blyde River Canyon and nearby waterfalls. Everything worked perfectly, and the trek (Northern Drakensberg traverse) was one of the most amazing things we’ve done, with an expert team guiding us. All the other parts of the trip dovetailed beautifully together and made for a wonderfully relaxed holiday."
"Excellent in all regards - Angus was very helpful and the planning of our trek was done very efficiently. The Trek itself - 6 day Northern Drakensberg Traverse - was very well organised. The guide was exceptional and the whole experience really exceeded my expectations. I can thoroughly recommend Walks in Africa."
"The whole trip was totally excellent! Angus was very patient with all our questions and worked hard to satisfy our requests. All the logistics worked very smoothly; the car, plane boat was always on time, ready to take us to the next destination. The accommodations were all excellent, very comfortable and with outstanding service. The food was amazing! My special requests (vegetarian, no onions) were scrupulously honored. There was excellent variety in the food, generous quantities and excellent quality. We were amazed at the delicious meals baked in the underground ovens! But really the most outstanding feature of the trip was the high quality staff, especially the guides. They all knew the area really well and were very patient identifying birds for us non-birders. Jason Alfonsi especially was amazing in his ability to track animals, identify insects, lead us to interesting plants and encourage us to try new things, like eating bits of trees and sneaking up on lions. Everyone we met was very friendly, encouraging, well-informed and professional. Probably the best indication of our enthusiastic satisfaction is the fact that we have already signed up to travel again in 2019 with Walks in Africa."
"I had a wonderful trip with Zee in the Drakensberg mountains. My mother and I hiked the Mnweni circuit and it was absolutely beautiful! We spent 4 days on trail with plenty of delicious snacks and gourmet meals with the best company we could have imagined. Angus was very helpful with planning this trip down to the final details. I highly recommend this company and will use them for my next guided adventure."
"Thank you, Walks in Africa, for helping us find a great walk on the Fynbos Trail. You understood our interests, time constraints, and saw to every detail."
"My daughter and I were lucky enough to be guided by Zee into the Drakensberg Mtns. There is not sufficient words to describe how amazing our trip, and guide, were. My time with my daughter and Zee will be forever in my memory. I would hike in those mountains, and with those women, again and again. Thanks to Angus for a thorough, well planned trip. All our needs were met and our expectations exceeded."
"We recently went on two hikes in the Cape. the first in the remote Gamkaberg mountain range in the Western Cape and the second in the Cedarberg Mountains 2-3 hours north of Cape Town. They were both expertly tailor made by Angus at Walks in Africa .... the organisation was exceptionally good and everything ran like clockwork....couldn't fault anything at all. We had two South African guides Mike and Frank who both were very attentive and great company, with an extensive knowledge of the area, the wildlife, flora and fauna and indeed South African history. We were extremely well catered for and would highly recommend both hikes for those seeking a taste of the wilderness."
"Angus was an absolute pleasure to deal with from beginning to end. All queries were responded to very quickly. He put together a fantastic itinerary for us - Drakensberg hike with a great guide and porters, Imfolozi wilderness trail and the unforgettable Leopard Mountain. from what to pack to, what weather to expect, detailed directions and driving times - everything was covered. we had the best holiday and would have no hesitation in highly recommending Angus to anyone considering travel in Southern Africa."
"Angus was extremely helpful with his knowledge of South Africa, advising on different ideas, once I had given him an outline of what I wanted to do on our holiday. We spoke on the telephone at length about options available and suggestions. Angus responded to emails very quickly. He provided an excellent trip dossier, car directions, tips whilst travelling, suggestions of places to see whilst driving between locations and general information regarding South Africa. Whilst in South Africa he responded via Whats App to any questions I had when confirming some details. I would have no hesitation in recommending Walks in Africa for any tailor made holiday."
"Angus quickly understood the sort of thing I wanted and came up with imaginative suggestions. When it was agreed everything (big stuff and small) was quickly and perfectly organised. And once in South Africa just how perfectly it had been done became clear. Nothing went wrong. He has great local knowledge and loads of experience. I couldn’t have have done it without him. He’s a rock star!"
"Good advice, great accommodation options"
"We received an excellent service that I would recommend to anyone planning a holiday in Africa!!! From the beginning Angus was extremely helpful, proactive quick to respond. He gave us excellent suggestions from planning our route, activities, offering options, helping with preparations and packing. We had an amazing time and were truly able to unwind as Angus provided us with all the helpful tips and suggestions including driving routes and good stops to refill and buy food. I can't thank enough for making our South African dream come true starting with an amazing hike in Drakensberg with very good and entertaining guides, a recommended stop over in Howick with lots of nice shops and a Waterfall and finally an unforgettable primitive trail experience with a final sleep in lovely St Lucia. For our hiking experiences we did not see any other tourists but lots of nature and wildlife so this has been a real gem. We will certainly use this company again should we ever be lucky enough to come back to Africa. Thank you!"
"We had an excellent tripl Angus made some great recommendations of places to stay + things to do. The Drakensberg trek was a highlight - quite challenging but worth every minute for the views. Would definitely use Walks in Africa for another african adventure."
"Great itinerary ideas - the service which included many discussions felt very personal. A big favourite of ours was the guided walk in the Drakensburg - spectacular trail with a very experienced guide up to Tugela Falls. Every stage of the journey was detailed including driving instructions, country dossiers etc so being well informed allowed us to enjoy Africa. A varied trip which we thoroughly enjoyed, we would recommend Angus highly and hope to revisit in the future - Many thanks"
Walks in Africa is rated 5.00 based on 89 reviews