CeX Reviews

59% of reviewers recommend CeX
Email, Live Chat

How would you rate CeX ?

"I have purchased a few items from CEX online. While the items do arrive in a timely manner on multiple occasions now I have received the wrong item, each time a far cheaper item has been sent. Upon returning one of the wrong items to the local store I was met with a bad attitude and told I would be required to wait 40 minutes while the item was tested. I found that highly amusing seen as it wasn’t even the correct item, I don’t see why there was any relevance in checking the item, working or not it wasn’t what I ordered. The attitude of the sales staff in the shop was less than welcoming (downright rude); I will never set foot in the Kilmarnock branch again as a consequence. After my first experience I was gifted a £10 voucher for my troubles. But alas yet again more incorrect items were sent. There appears to be no interest whatsoever in answering any queries in a timely manner. It’s a complete and utter joke that items cannot be checked prior to being shipped yet need to be thoroughly checked before they are refunded. I still await any form of response to this. Pay good money in good faith only to be sent incorrect items. If you enjoy the lottery then purchase an item from CEX online and you never know you may hit the jackpot and actually receive the correct item. If 0 stars was an option then this mob would be getting zero stars. The time and effort required for me to return the garbage they sent is not worth it so I effectively wasted my money."
"In the space of 4 days, I have had to re-visit CEX in Reading - on friar street, 4 times! Firstly I went to trade in an in-expensive camera valued at roughly £40. The member of staff called 'Sean E' (taken from my receipt) actually snapped a piece of the casing when he was doing the checks and then had the audacity to tell me they wouldn't take it because it was broken, and denied breaking it after doing so infant of me! 'Sorry dude we're not taking that' I was absolutely fuming. After telling him to get his manager and explain the situation, he came back and told me they would rightfully be giving me the money - instead of apologising, he said nothing and I was on my way. I also wanted to trade in my iPhone 6 which had a cracked screen and scuffing on the back, I was told to pay to get the screen replaced elsewhere and bring it back by one person, who said the scuffs weren't an issue as they were cosmetic. Then upon returning, they forgot to test it over the weekend - so I had to make 2 trips in one day back to the shop. When I got back (again) they then said they wouldn't take it because of the cosmetic scuffs??? Eventually after complaining for a while and to 3 or 4 different members of staff that were sent over to me, I got some money for it. The work done by these staff is absolute guess work, there are no guidelines at all in CEX. I was also given 3 different valuation prices for the phone by 3 different members of staff, one for every time I visited.... It'll be music to their ears that I'm not coming back after the amount of complaining i've done, there definitely needs to be more training done at this shop, staff were so un-professional... 'dude'."
"Sent off my wife's Samsung galaxy s5 to them as they graded it as good condition on website and £70 to sell to them. Eventually got reply to say it was regraded to not working as back cover was damaged. The back cover was in good condition as it was always kept in a case with no cracks or bits broken off which was the case when it was returned to me as their new offer of £10 was not acceptable. Looks like they will damage your phone to lower the price as previously noted in other reviews (wish I had noticed this first). So I now have to buy new back cover before sending it off to a reputable company. So avoid like the plague. You have been warned."
"Take my old phone into store asked for cash to b told ill have to wait up to 4 days to get my money as they don't have any. What shop buys stuff and doesn't have money😠 . Wen asked for the fone back they said we will keep it and ring u wen we have the money. Wo t b going again"
"It is not worth the risk of purchasing from this company. I received a damaged camera lens worth over 500. The company requested I return the item for investigation. They then returned it to me in an even more damaged condition and advised they would be honouring the warranty as their records show it was in working order when it was sent. I literally took this lens out the box and put it on my camera and it broken through no fault of my own. Do not risk buying from them. They cannot be trusted."
"I was asking for a refund and they want to wait for 45 minutes because they should check the Magic Mouse after a 20 minutes queue . They say this is the policy ,but when I was buying I didn’t sign any policy and nobody was checked that Magic Mouse to show me if is working . They say to come next day because I didn’t have time to wait to them procedure on my time . Also I got many policy’s like trading my time to wait to have my money back . Is the first experience with cex , I will never come back and I will never recommend this . Tomorrow I will go back and I am very curious of the answer ? Cex Swindon"
"I am pleased to pass on my thanks and gratitude to Guurpal your Store Manager at CEX WALTHAMSTOW for the impeccable service he provided. I personally appreciate his hard work, diligence and desire to meet my needs on Saturday 18th August 2018. He was very prompt, professional and able to produce an excellent outcome for me. I currently work for the NHS but I also have come from a retail background so I know exactly what to expect as a team member as well as a customer. The service Guurpal provides demonstrates that he is always willing to put the customer and their needs at the forefront of his mind. I also monitored his enthusiasm and his ability to motivate his team members as they all behaved considerate and mannerly. It is not an exaggeration to say that Guurpal should be promoted to Area Manager for his great dedication and admirable work ethics. I am so please to have received such an extraordinary service. I will 1000% come back to shop again with my whole family! Kind regards, Chezelle"
"Brought a Samsung GALAXY S4 for £105 in May 2018, hardly used the phone as it was for work. in August 2018 the phone then stated out of the blue that it had no sim. the sim card was in place and hadn't been touched. I took the phone back to the CEX shop in Guildford Surrey where i purchased it as it had a 24 month warranty. They took the phone and sent me away for 40 minutes while they checked it. When i came back they said the warranty was void as there was a tiny crack in the rear external case of the phone. I explained that this has nothing to do with the Sim card not registering and then they showed me some bent pins where the sim card goes and said that i have bent the pins and that is why it doesn't work. I was furious as i had not bent the pins, I hadn't touched the sim card - why would I? Anyway the store manager basically called me a liar and said the phone will not be covered as it is accidental damage. there is no customer service phone number to contact CEX, i will never use this company again, this is the one and only experience that i have had with them."
"Don't be fooled into thinking that you will get decent money for your old Orange phone sending it to CeX. Their website allows you to specify what network the phone is on and I was offered £5-7 for my phones and sent them in. Tracked my order on line (as they did not e-mail me) to find that the phone values were now 1p as Orange no long exists in UK and so phones graded as "Not Working". Complained twice, that online values were not being honoured but got generic answer that totally ignores the point."
"My son bought a xbox 1 on 4/8/18 @16.03pm and some games and a lead for box, after taking it home and spending time setting it up it would not work properly so on 10/8/18 he taken it back to the shop and asked for a refund which they refused and said they would test it for 2 days under warranty, when he picked it back up they said nothing wrong with it so he brought it home to find it was still broken and once again they refused him a refund as it was faulty goods, so he asked myself his dad to come with him as he felt the manager was aggressive and intimidating as i am an ex-police officer and used to these situations, Today i taken my son to the shop at approx 10am to gain a refund and i seen what he meant, the manager refused a refund, i quoted consumer act and right to refund under faulty goods..he still refused and got aggressive with me threatening to call the police, so i asked for him to call the police and carried on insisting that he refunds over a period of approx 30 minutes with the customers listening, it was only when i posted on facebook and threatened to put it on spotted and called trading standards that he eventually after a battle agreed, but then he refused to refund the £15 for the lead for the box and 1 hour later he was refusing to refund for the xbox1 game £18! even though it was bought with the console, he offered £9, again i quoted the act to him and threatened small claims court, what a horrendous experience it was and surely are not being legal, i am going to trading standards and spotted in every town and a website, horrendous behaviour!!!! over an hour of stress caused by this so called manager. avoid company at all costs!! just received a response from them 15/8/18 so basically they do not care at all....so looks like trading standards now and ombudsman.....dreadful company ….run by franchisees who do not care.....following response received..... Hi Andy, Thank you for writing back with the details. With the help of the details you have provided, I was able to locate the store involved in this order. We aim to always give our customers a pleasant shopping experience, and we hope that their visit can encourage them to positively share their experience with other prospective customers. I have forwarded a feedback to the store management team so that the necessary training can be given to the staff to avoid these instances in the future. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you in this matter. If there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us. Regards, Sumeet"
"So grateful to Danni, his customer care was excellent, had bother with an I phone 5 that I bought for my son, got this replaced and now he’s happy and I’m even more happier!!"
"Rude certon members of staff ,company policy not exactually made clear on refunds on to a gift card only and if not returned 2 days they will reduce value for what payed for felt dispite i got a full refund on to a gift card with the argument of the goods was in exerlant condition n i work long houres i dont find the customers rights is quite there if there were 0 stars id rate zero sorry"
"IF I could give no stars I would! Do not I repeat do not order online from this company! I have no choice but to keep ordering until I get a right item as I have a voucher I have to use. I have emailed the managing director directly it’s so appalling and I have had no help for the 3rd time I have had to place an order to get a correct item that works! 1st one cancelled, fair enough, 2nd GoPro wrong one, 3rd one A grade faulty and missing a vital part on camera And so back to local store again for refund!4th told by online service to order again and they would help to ensure what is being sent is correct etc and guess what? Nope they didn’t aNd have dispatched it anywAy! I have lost money in car parks and petrol and time wasted and I have a special needs son who came with me and it upsets him to queue and have to wait for them to check an item I just received in the post by them! I then had to get family help to have my son as he was upset and didn’t want to go! I have no doubt I will be there again to refund my 4th order as it hasn’t been checked! I paid more for an A grade to ensure this didn’t happen but there was no point! No response to messages or emails in time either. No phone number and now I see why! Help my latest order number is 5007769 but I should all too late! Have had it now and wish I never bothered as it’s stressing me out now!"
"I lost all the data, pictures, videos and work files I had on my phone because the staff member forgot to tell me they wipe phones when checking them. I was not offered any format of genuine apology, the manager didn't even try and attempt to show me how to restore my phone after me repeatedly telling them it wasn't backed up. I am disgusted that they watched me stand there crying over the loss of irreplaceable memories without being able to show any care."
"I bought the Samsung A5 for £125, I had to take it back because the battery didn't last 12 hours, also the reception was awful. I then bought a Samsung S5 for £130, the phone will not register my sim card. I got a new card, initially it worked then same thing happened to the card. Now the S5 refuses to charge. I'll take the S5 back tomorrow."
"The minecraft special edition console can be produced NEW from most sainsburys /Tesco for £220. My children saved and bought one as they wanted the console but already own the minecraft and the story mode and as clearly stated in the description online. It does not come with the game or DLC's. Fine we thought , £40 saving might come with a couple of scratches on it as its discounted . What isn't made clear is that unless your buy it in MINT CONDITION! There give you any controller! Even a 3rd party! And that the pictures shown don't represent what I'm really buying. The only reason I know this is because I live not to far from a Cex so I emailed them asking them if I could swap the controller I'd reserved for the minecraft and was given a link to there T&C and told no and that I should take it from my kids and return it. They didn't ask what controller I'd been given and if they did they might have released it cost more then the minecraft one I wanted and was expecting when buy. Very disappointed and feel cheated. Will not be using there online service again"
"I placed an order online with CEX for a £530 MacBook pro on Tuesday evening. Nothing was heard from them apart from the automatically generated email (stating delivery would take place between 3-5 working days) until Thursday. The email stated the item had been dispatched and gave me a UPS tracking number. The tracking number did not work at all and on Friday morning I contacted customer service by email about this issue. I also later contacted them by Facebook messenger as they hadn't responded to my email. It's not possible to phone CEX customer service, only email, Facebook & Twitter and they don't respond quickly to any of those either. I was then informed that the store hadn't shipped my item as reported and they would do so today (Friday). It would definitely go out today. I was given a new tracking number and using this I found that the item hadn't shipped on Friday. Saturday morning I contacted them again. After a long wait I was informed the item now wouldn't ship until Monday. No apologies. The item now won't arrive for a further 5 days, making the total shipping time 10 days! No apologies from anyone. I was just "thanked for my understanding". I requested to pick up the item from the store but was told I could not for "security reasons". Dont understand what security risks there are if i bring the appropriate ID. So I asked if I could cancel the order, get a refund of my in store voucher and buy one myself from another store. I was told this would take 3 working days to process! Now I am between a rock and a hard place as I have no quick solution to getting my voucher or my laptop. Customer service take ages to respond to communications and are unwilling to do anything quickly to resolve the situation. Contacting CS by electronic means is not acceptable. We really need a phone number to call in situations like this, but CEX don't want to give us one. Terrible service. Avoid buying on line from them at all costs."
"Unprofessional staff, awful customer service line, constantly refused a refund for my faulty item after nearly a month of persistence and talking to five different people in the company. Still being refused a refund. It's like they're trying to refuse until my 30 days legal refund time is up. Don't expect your money back. Useless. Wont ever buy or sell here again and I'll be accusing others to do the same."
"I paid a smaller amount for my Nintendo switch"
"Buying and selling made easy"
CeX is rated 3.32 based on 85 reviews