Friars.co.uk Reviews

of reviewers recommend Friars.co.uk
Read Friars.co.uk Reviews

About Friars.co.uk:

It all started back in 1927 when William Long had the fabulous idea of opening a luxury chocolate shop in the picturesque town of Keswick, in the heart of the Lake District. He probably never dreamed it would still be in the same family nearly 100 years later.

In those early days the shop only opened during the summer months and it is believed William chose to winter in the Madeira sunshine. As you would expect the business has evolved in many ways since then, however certain principles remain since those early days.

Innovation – We were the first to make a prosecco truffle and then shortly after we followed with our fabulous gin truffle. More recently; although Easter eggs are synonymous with Easter, we decided to move away from the main stream and invented our famous hot cross bun truffle.

But all this only scratches the surface; we are also one of the first chocolate makers to start transitioning to 100% biodegrade packaging, among other things.

Quality – Any new chocolate must meet certain requirements to get past our strict tasting panel. If one of the panel gives a score below 9/10 then we simply won’t offer the chocolate to our customers.

Longevity – We are immensely proud of our historic routes and in this fast moving, ever changing world, we take pride in our tradition and heritage. Our rose and violet creams are the same ones that William sold on that first day of opening, back in 1927. We have survived and prospered over the last 90 years and with the launch of our Ambleside store and an online service, we fully intend to be around for the next 100 years.

After all life is too short, so why settle for ordinary chocolate?

Tell us how Friars.co.uk made you happy
Friars.co.uk 5 star review on 7th April 2021
Friars.co.uk 5 star review on 30th March 2021
Julie Roe
Friars.co.uk 5 star review on 30th March 2021
VICTORIA TOMLINSON
Excellent calendar, however the delivery was shocking I paid next working day delivery and it turned up 4days late Friars did refund the delivery
nicely packaged, but i wasn't overly impressed by the chocolates for the prices.
everything arrived okay. well packed and delivered on time. was somewhat annoyed that an offer for free chocs came up on face book the day after I had ordered and was for a product I bought but just bad luck I suppose.
Didn’t like the white or pink chocolate. Both taste like sick.
Nothing wrong with Friars service but the ‘new’ Newberry Fruits Jewels are nothing like the old sweets - could be any over sweet jellies. Will not be buying again.
I cannot write a review yet as the goods bought are Xmas presents and I shall have to wat until the recipients tell me what they thought of them
Ronald McNeill
The marzipan fruits are really lovely. I had some last year and they are really Tasteful.
I was also happy with when you picked which fruit you wanted to eat was really decorated to a professional standard.
I placed one order with Friars for over £60. I rated it as acceptable. I’ve bought before but not in this quantity. A bit pricey, considering delivery charges too, but the designs of the products are attractive and great as gifts for children. Something a bit different. Nicely packaged and arrived when expected.

I had a problem with their ‘anti fraud’ policy and they kept refusing my payment. After three attempts I phoned my bank and they confirmed the transactions had all been authorised but that it was Friars who were refusing to accept my payment as per their policy. However, they eventually accepted a PayPal payment but I was just about to abandon the transaction as it was taking up too much of my time and it was frustrating. I expect others who may have had a similar problem would feel the same way. I contacted Friars and It appeared to be an issue with my address but my PayPal details are exactly the same so a bit confused still. Can’t understand why they would over-rule the security of a bank authorisation though. Surely that’s the whole purpose of requesting such authorisation.

I was also disappointed that they did not offer free delivery for an order over £50. Let’s face it not many online retailers don’t offer that these days.

I received four separate emails asking me to review the one order, so a bit of an issue there.

I rated my experience as acceptable because of the issues I had. I could have abandoned the transaction but decided to proceed, so my own fault on that front.

I think they may have some technical issues they need to address that would ensure a smoother experience.

I thought they may have included, as a goodwill gesture, a small item for free or even a note of apology for the frustration I experienced, but no, not a mention of it.
Goods arrived in good time but I felt the delivery charge was far more than it should be.
Nice to have a choice of vegan chocolates but price point far too high to repurchase
Hi,
Thank you for your message, the price point is slightly higher than other chocolates due to premium ingredients used to make the handmade chocolates and the packaging being biodegradable.
Friars Customer Service
Honestly a bit disappointed. Very expensive and the chocolate tastes quite cheap - it doesn’t melt in your mouth. The flavours are quite weak and it mostly tastes of sugar. I recommend Booja Booja, not these.
Hello,
We're sorry that the vegan truffles you ordered from us weren't to your taste. All the Vegan chocolatier truffles are handmade and as a result, the flavour and texture can sometimes vary from batch to batch.
We will, however, pass on your feedback to the chocolatier so that they are aware of the issue you have highlighted.
Friars Customer Service
they taste okay but they aren’t as smooth or creamy as I expected from their marketing. I’m also puzzled by how they just launched in September but there are clearly reviews from November last year..
The gift box arrived a bit worn at the corners and the bow had loose ends which gave the present a cheap appearance. Also the chocolates arrived in plastic trays and not in their own box. Overall acceptable but not a good first impression!
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry the item did not arrive in perfect condition. The ribbon should have been pick up at our end before being dispatched we will pass your comments on to the packing team. We will also pass your comments regarding the plastic to our design team.
Friars Customer Service
I recently ordered 3 lots of chocolates and I thought they were terrible. I tried 1 of each and disliked them intensly. What a waste of money?
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the chocolates you received from us and they were not to your taste. We hope that our customers find our products enjoyable, although unfortunately they may not be to everyone's personal taste.
Friars Customer Service
Having bought the luxury coffee egg for my wife she was disappointed to find the egg didn't taste of coffee at all but milk chocolate. The only coffee chocolates were 6 little chocolates. A slight false advertising there to be fair. Will not be buying again!!!!!
The package looks nice but it's smaller then I expected.
Arrived in time for Easter
Unable to comment on the contents, as it hasn't been opened yet. It's an Easter gift for my daughter. But I'm sure she will love it if she can taste the gin.
The vegan chocolates are nice but the filling tastes more like an icing than a chocolate truffle filling. It also has a funny taste to it. I wouldn’t buy them again for the price.
My order was initially sent to the wrong address, to the Billing Address. However, they soon rectified the situation when notified and sent out a further box of chocolates to the correct address.
Can't really comment as this was given as a present - and she's probably saving it for Easter.
Good quality but very over priced. Fruits small but do taste nice. Having said that, had much nicer and bigger for less from well known suppliers. Had hoped these would be a bit more special for Mothers Day gift
Friars.co.uk is rated 4.81 based on 8,779 reviews