Speed Screed Limited Reviews

94% of reviewers recommend Speed Screed Limited

Eaton House, 3 Amelia CourtTrinity Park

Tell us how Speed Screed Limited made you happy

"AVOID SPEED SCREED LIMITED - CANCEL WORK AND HOLD YOUR MONEY We have just had a complete nightmare dealing with this company. We first made contact in October and asked them to quote for a specific screed type floor. After 6 weeks of detailed communication they finally booked us in on Tuesday 11th December and delivered their materials to site on the morning of 10th December. They then cancelled the work on the evening of the 10th. We have incurred other third party costs and our project has been delayed by a number of weeks due to their negligence and delays in finding that the materials were not suitable to be laid on our site. Further to this they insisted on us paying their invoice in full and up front. We negotiated to pay 50% before and the rest on completion. Speed Screed still currently have our money. Their materials are still currently on site impeding a fire escape route for our neighbours nightclub. We have been promised our money back and the materials to be removed today. I shall update if this happens. Here are some detailed points on our experience: *A speed screed employee visited site in October to measure our property. They used mapping technology on their phone and we discussed our requirements at length. We discussed the fact that the floor was made up of tiles and discussed the two different surface areas of concrete and wood beneath these tiles. We were impressed with the persons knowledge and how in depth he appeared to be with his checks and measurements. Immediately this put Speed Screed ahead of the other companies that quoted. *We agreed that Speed Screed would likely be able to use our preferred flooring choice of Mapei Ultratop but that they would also quote for their preferred material as well. We received our first quote on 7th November for TX50. We then received a quote for Mapei Screed on 15th November and finally a quote for the surface we actually requested - Mapei Ultratop on the 20th November. After several telephone conversations between Joe (estimator) and one of our Directors, we agreed to use Mapei Screed at the price quoted. *We were told that the tiles needed to clean of dirt, dust and grease etc so instructed professional cleaners to attend site last week in order to make sure the property was in an acceptable state. The cleaners were on site all day Thursday 6th at a cost of £286.67 All work on site was totally halted on the 4th December to avoid any further mess. Work was arranged to carry on from Friday 14th after the floor would have been clear to walk on. *One of our Directors was informed that we needed to add expansion joints within the property. Following advice from Joe and a recommended company in Rotherham we had some wooden joints fitted at 10 points within the building in preparation. *Nicola contacted me last week with an invoice for the payment of their works and initially insisted that we pay the full costs up front. I wasn't too comfortable about paying for work before completion from a company we have never used but was assured they were trustworthy and being a limited company that had been trading for 12 years we had nothing to worry about.. We managed to agree a 50% deposit which was paid on the 7th December with the intention of paying the balance on completion. *Our Directors were informed last week that someone would contact us to arrange access to carry out the work. There were plenty of opportunities to arrange this communication in the weeks leading upto this. *Matthew (logistics) emailed on the 7th with a checklist and informed us to expect a delivery on the 10th - We should really have been contacted by phone as I didn't see this email until the 10th. Materials arrived to site on the 10th that we had been unaware of. I had to drive 30 miles to site to receive these - 5 x ton bags of sand which remain outside the venue impeding a direct fire escape route for our neighbours nightclub. Something that would not have been a problem had the floor been laid as the nightclub is not open again until Friday 14th. *Dyan (Operations Manager) called on the evening of the 10th to discuss the site and check all was prepared. He asked about the current surface which I discussed with him. I then passed him on to speak to our other Director regarding this. Dyan cancelled the works as it became apparent it wasn't appropriate to use Mapei Screed on our floor. Something we feel could quite easily have been identified by them many weeks ago. *Dyan and Joe organised for a Mapei Agent to visit site on the 11th to discuss alternatives. I was very surprised and extremely annoyed that given the scenario they didn't deem it necessary to have a Speed Screed employee on site at the same time to make sure a solution could be quickly found. The Mapei agent was very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. I really dont understand why at no point it was deemed necessary for anyone to visit site previous to today? Why after the tiles were discussed numerous times was it not picked up that this wasn't the appropriate flooring for us? The mapei agent even told us that a number of alternatives wouldn't be appropriate as some of the floor underneath the tiles is made of wood. Why was this not checked? We have paid for professional cleaners that it turns out weren't necessary at all as the tiles likely need some grinding so never needed cleaning to the level we paid them to be cleaned! SO following all of the above we wrote a complaint email to which we have not received a detailed response other than a insincere "sorry for the inconvenience caused" email today. I have made numerous calls to the company, lots of which were either dodged or "messages taken" that were not responded to. Nobody at the company actually seemed to care and the complaint was never handled properly or escalated to management. All in all a really shocking experience which has caused us financial issues and delayed our project massively. Appalling treatment which should not be expected from an established limited company like this. I wanted to leave a similar review on Facebook but its not surprising that they have disabled reviews on their page."
"Disgusting ! Quoted a price for not a large area quoted approx £1,400 .,arrived today to do it didn’t have enough materials as had been measured incorrectly . Luckily I had only paid the 50% last week instead of the 100% they had wanted . They started to pack up the job and it was way off finished ! It should have been about one hours job but they were here for 5 hours due to all the cock ups ! They only did a small area and not as deep as required and only half the room . Said they needed to requote for the extra materials , Sent quote for over very quickly for now £2,700 , This was double the original quote. They then called me to ask for full payment before they come back to do the job ,but also on top of all the hassle they expected me to pay the £2,700 on top of the £1,400 plus !! so over £4,000 . They were insisting on full payment on the lot ! As if ! Nightmare . I have since called 2 more companies in this business this afternoon who could not believe the story and the prices . As for the staff !! So unprofessional . No one in charge as the M.D. in the USA until September ! How helpful and how worrying to leave your company in poor hands ! The men who came to do the job did it well so wasn’t their fault just poor organisation . Made a lucky escape"
Timeline:

Friday 3rd August 2018
Speed Screed operatives attended Mrs Hawe's project in Harrogate to find the correct area, however the depth of screed required was greater than reported on our original survey. The team proceeded to lay the materials available onsite.

Assurances made to Mrs Hawe;s that the issue would be investigated, and a solution offered.

Monday 6th August
Speed Screed's original survey of the required depth of screed was incorrect, and we apologised for this error.

To make amends for this error, Speed Screed offered to complete the work at no extra cost (the material required had more than doubled). We also offered to refund all of Mrs Hawe's money, and not charge for any of the work completed.

Mrs Hawe's requested the refund.

Tuesday 7th August
Money refunded to Mrs Hawe's via bank transfer.

There was a human error with the survey, and once we had established the full details (the very next working day) solution to complete the job for no extra cost was offered, and also a full refunded.

Speed Screed acted quickly. When wrong we hold our hands up and take responsibility, always good to know how a company acts when things do go wrong.
"Screed was laid well, guys were great. Waited 17 days to be sure the fast drying screed was dry as we had plastering completed before having the moisture test completed by Speed Screed which cost me £550+VAT. the guys who arrived didn't know the product and advised another 7 weeks as they said the moisture content was too high. Spoke to speed Screed on numerous occasions and they very rarely returned my calls. finally after 8 days the operations manager said he would confirm via e-mail that the moisture content was fine as the moisture testing technicians had given the wrong information but then finished off by stating that the floor covering contractor needs to complete a moisture test. now considering i'm the contractor who paid their bill in good faith and that i'm the one laying the floor, what the hell did I pay them £550 VAT for? I've used this company many times before and experienced a problem before. when there is an issue they want to not be culpable in anyway. the operations manager hasn't replied to my e-mail or returned my calls. I will definitely NEVER use them again. Awful customer service for such an important part of your building project."
Hello Chris,

We are glad that the screed was laid well, and you had no issues with the quality of the workmanship.

I'm sorry to hear that there has been confusion with regards to the moisture reading; the test was conducted and gave a reading of 2.6-3.0% (as per the report sent to you). The moisture reading was carried out by an independent moisture contractor, and not Speed Screed (all technical information was passed to the contractor).

This information should then be used in conjunction with data supplied by your flooring contractor/flooring manufacturer (the percentage moisture from the test against the required percentage moisture from the flooring manufacturer). The test result was within the guidelines of 95% of floor coverings; however, how moisture tolerant a floor covering is should be determined by the floor manufacturer. There should a target moisture content from the manufacture of the floor covering, and then the test is to see if the moisture meets the required reading.

It should be noted that how quickly a screed dries is dependent on the environment in which it is placed, and it was noted that plastering works took place after the screed was laid, which would have introduced large volumes of moisture into the said environment. Notwithstanding the additional of extra moisture the screed still performed to expected guidelines.

Kind Regards,

Speed Screed Ltd
"Very helpful and professional , Thanks again Andy!"
"The guys that did the job were greats however the office and logistics are useless. Didn’t order enough materials. Didn’t give the guys the right info. And this is on two completely separate jobs in different parts of the country. I wouldn’t use this company again if I was paid. I now have two sites with partially different substandard screed because of lack of materials on the day."
Speed Screed are not aware of any ongoing issues with projects, however if you could contact us and supply the information relating to the two site you mention we would be happy to investigate.

Materials ordered are to the clients survey (unless it is requested for Speed Screed to carry it out) based on the volume of screed required. An additional amount of materials to allow for an extra .2m3 is added to every quotation to allow for small changes onsite, however any significant changes may results in a shortage of materials (if the survey is not correct).

Materials calculations are industry standard, and any shortage of materials would be very clear from the delivery tickets. Those material volumes should match exactly to our quotation, all of which is very transparent.

Speed Screed are the only UK screed company that offers a 10 year guarantee, also are ISO 9001:2015 Certified Quality Management System & ISO 14001:2015 Certified Environmental Management System
"Cooperative men who listened to our requirements and did as requested. Good communication with company before screeding day."
"Excellent customer care - high quality product & service provided."
"Fantastic company to work with, great comminucations"
"Outstanding services from start to finish! Friendly and knowledgeable staff. Competitive prices. Attention to detail and excellent completion time. Our conservatory floor was ready for the tiling. The tilers commented on the fantastic quality of the screeding. Thank you Speed Screed! We recommend you without reservation."
"I'm extremely pleased with how quick the guys on the site completed the job and then just left without any fuss or messing around. They were an approachable set of guys that were sent to site. Only thing I can suggest is trying to get suppliers to deliver material on time, my job got delayed because the sand couldn't get delivered on time."
"I would rate Speed Screed a 3. I was scheduled in the calendar for them to do the work on a certain date, when the guys turned up on site at 7:30am they turned around and said the weather conditions were too cold and they couldn't commence in laying the Screed. The job then got put back which put us way behind and I had to pay a cancellation fee. I wish I was made more clear about conditions on site etc. However the Screed looks exactly how I expected and I will use them again if I need any further jobs doing."
"The staff had a few problems and it was a bit of inconvenience for us although everything was fine and the screed looks fine. Winvic Construction"
"Speed Creed Ltd has done a brilliant job and the finished screed looks brilliant. The job was done efficiently and that is important in this industry. Their staff is very polite, friendly and I do not think there's a way to leave their amazing service greater than how it looks, this is why I rate to their service an excellent 5 out of 5 points and I difinitely recommend their service to everyone."
"Great job,fast,tidy,no hassle, will use them on my next project."
"I am very happy with the screed job completed by Speed Screed in London. Site staff were very professional, polite, friendly & cleared up after themselves. They were good value for money. No aspects that need to be improved on, they were very very good indeed."
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the excellent service we received from you recently on one of our projects. The job looks great and I am very pleased with it."
Speed Screed Limited is rated 4.77 based on 83 reviews