Speed Screed Limited. Reviews

of reviewers recommend Speed Screed Limited.
Read Speed Screed Limited. Reviews

About Speed Screed Limited.:

We are a Multi Award Winning Floor Screeding Company. We offer our services across the UK and we offer our Clients with a 10 Year Guarantee.
We are CHAS, SMAS and Constructionline Accredited. All our work meets or exceeds The British Standards.
ISO 9001:2015 (Quality) & ISO 14001:2015 (Environmental)

+448002425589

andy@speed-screed.com

5 Ebor Court
Trinity Park
Retford

Tell us how Speed Screed Limited. made you happy
AVOID SPEED SCREED LIMITED - CANCEL WORK AND HOLD YOUR MONEY

We have just had a complete nightmare dealing with this company. We first made contact in October and asked them to quote for a specific screed type floor. After 6 weeks of detailed communication they finally booked us in on Tuesday 11th December and delivered their materials to site on the morning of 10th December. They then cancelled the work on the evening of the 10th.

We have incurred other third party costs and our project has been delayed by a number of weeks due to their negligence and delays in finding that the materials were not suitable to be laid on our site. Further to this they insisted on us paying their invoice in full and up front. We negotiated to pay 50% before and the rest on completion. Speed Screed still currently have our money.

Their materials are still currently on site impeding a fire escape route for our neighbours nightclub.
We have been promised our money back and the materials to be removed today. I shall update if this happens.

Here are some detailed points on our experience:

*A speed screed employee visited site in October to measure our property. They used mapping technology on their phone and we discussed our requirements at length. We discussed the fact that the floor was made up of tiles and discussed the two different surface areas of concrete and wood beneath these tiles. We were impressed with the persons knowledge and how in depth he appeared to be with his checks and measurements. Immediately this put Speed Screed ahead of the other companies that quoted.

*We agreed that Speed Screed would likely be able to use our preferred flooring choice of Mapei Ultratop but that they would also quote for their preferred material as well.
We received our first quote on 7th November for TX50. We then received a quote for Mapei Screed on 15th November and finally a quote for the surface we actually requested - Mapei Ultratop on the 20th November.
After several telephone conversations between Joe (estimator) and one of our Directors, we agreed to use Mapei Screed at the price quoted.

*We were told that the tiles needed to clean of dirt, dust and grease etc so instructed professional cleaners to attend site last week in order to make sure the property was in an acceptable state. The cleaners were on site all day Thursday 6th at a cost of £286.67
All work on site was totally halted on the 4th December to avoid any further mess. Work was arranged to carry on from Friday 14th after the floor would have been clear to walk on.

*One of our Directors was informed that we needed to add expansion joints within the property. Following advice from Joe and a recommended company in Rotherham we had some wooden joints fitted at 10 points within the building in preparation.

*Nicola contacted me last week with an invoice for the payment of their works and initially insisted that we pay the full costs up front. I wasn't too comfortable about paying for work before completion from a company we have never used but was assured they were trustworthy and being a limited company that had been trading for 12 years we had nothing to worry about..
We managed to agree a 50% deposit which was paid on the 7th December with the intention of paying the balance on completion.

*Our Directors were informed last week that someone would contact us to arrange access to carry out the work. There were plenty of opportunities to arrange this communication in the weeks leading upto this.

*Matthew (logistics) emailed on the 7th with a checklist and informed us to expect a delivery on the 10th - We should really have been contacted by phone as I didn't see this email until the 10th. Materials arrived to site on the 10th that we had been unaware of. I had to drive 30 miles to site to receive these - 5 x ton bags of sand which remain outside the venue impeding a direct fire escape route for our neighbours nightclub. Something that would not have been a problem had the floor been laid as the nightclub is not open again until Friday 14th.

*Dyan (Operations Manager) called on the evening of the 10th to discuss the site and check all was prepared. He asked about the current surface which I discussed with him. I then passed him on to speak to our other Director regarding this. Dyan cancelled the works as it became apparent it wasn't appropriate to use Mapei Screed on our floor. Something we feel could quite easily have been identified by them many weeks ago.

*Dyan and Joe organised for a Mapei Agent to visit site on the 11th to discuss alternatives. I was very surprised and extremely annoyed that given the scenario they didn't deem it necessary to have a Speed Screed employee on site at the same time to make sure a solution could be quickly found. The Mapei agent was very helpful and couldn't do enough for us.

I really dont understand why at no point it was deemed necessary for anyone to visit site previous to today? Why after the tiles were discussed numerous times was it not picked up that this wasn't the appropriate flooring for us? The mapei agent even told us that a number of alternatives wouldn't be appropriate as some of the floor underneath the tiles is made of wood. Why was this not checked?

We have paid for professional cleaners that it turns out weren't necessary at all as the tiles likely need some grinding so never needed cleaning to the level we paid them to be cleaned!

SO following all of the above we wrote a complaint email to which we have not received a detailed response other than a insincere "sorry for the inconvenience caused" email today.
I have made numerous calls to the company, lots of which were either dodged or "messages taken" that were not responded to. Nobody at the company actually seemed to care and the complaint was never handled properly or escalated to management. All in all a really shocking experience which has caused us financial issues and delayed our project massively. Appalling treatment which should not be expected from an established limited company like this.

I wanted to leave a similar review on Facebook but its not surprising that they have disabled reviews on their page.
When I see a genuine review of this nature my heart sinks. I totally agree with Matthew's sentiment.

Speed Screed failed to account for the wooden substrate in one area of the project when pricing, and ordering materials. This led to a recommendation for a screeding system that was unsuitable for this application.

Speed Screed are the only screeding company in the UK that is ISO9001 Quality Management System accredited. All our systems are managed and measured by this accreditation. On this occasion information was missing from our initial decision making, and whilst this was an isolated occurrence, we must ensure that the system picks it up at an earlier stage in the future.

As part of our quality system Dyan makes his final checks to ensure that everything is suitable and ready to go. The issue of the substrate was identified, and Dyan informed Matthew immediately.

Whilst Speed Screed never want to put a project on hold, it was the right thing to do in this case. To be totally thorough the screed manufacture was called to site the very next day and agreed with Dyan’s assessment of the situation.

Speed Screed have the interests of the client first and foremost in what we do, and we would never take a risk with a project.

The screed manufactures report was received on Wednesday and a full refund issued the next day.

In relation to the removal of sand from the site, the remaining bag was removed on the following Monday by the materials supplier, which was later than Matthew and Speed Screed would have liked. This delay caused Matthew issues as the material blocked his neighbour’s property.

After personally speaking to Matthew today, I was pleased to hear that he had found a suitable alternative matting solution for the floor.

I would like to wish Matthew all the best with his new venture, and wholeheartedly like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Andy Parkin
Managing Director
Professionals;

The site team have done a great job today. Very professional arriving on time and cracked on with the work.

I was busy will calls and work while they were busy to my great pleasure when I checked to see how they were doing the site was laid out they were neatly working away.

Later I checked again and they were washing down
The site and making it look as if they had never been there.

Great job from quote, survey to competition.
Speed Screed Limited. 5 star review on 11th December 2019 Speed Screed Limited. 5 star review on 11th December 2019 Speed Screed Limited. 5 star review on 11th December 2019
Good communication, arrived when they said, helpful Screeder’s on site. No problems 👍
Disgusting !
Quoted a price for not a large area quoted approx £1,400 .,arrived today to do it didn’t have enough materials as had been measured incorrectly .
Luckily I had only paid the 50% last week instead of the 100% they had wanted .
They started to pack up the job and it was way off finished !
It should have been about one hours job but they were here for 5 hours due to all the cock ups !
They only did a small area and not as deep as required and only half the room .
Said they needed to requote for the extra materials ,
Sent quote for over very quickly for now £2,700 , This was double the original quote.
They then called me to ask for full payment before they come back to do the job ,but also on top of all the hassle they expected me to pay the £2,700 on top of the £1,400 plus !! so over £4,000 .
They were insisting on full payment on the lot !
As if !
Nightmare .
I have since called 2 more companies in this business this afternoon who could not believe the story and the prices .
As for the staff !! So unprofessional .
No one in charge as the M.D. in the USA until September ! How helpful and how worrying to leave your company in poor hands !
The men who came to do the job did it well so wasn’t their fault just poor organisation .
Made a lucky escape
Timeline:

Friday 3rd August 2018
Speed Screed operatives attended Mrs Hawe's project in Harrogate to find the correct area, however the depth of screed required was greater than reported on our original survey. The team proceeded to lay the materials available onsite.

Assurances made to Mrs Hawe;s that the issue would be investigated, and a solution offered.

Monday 6th August
Speed Screed's original survey of the required depth of screed was incorrect, and we apologised for this error.

To make amends for this error, Speed Screed offered to complete the work at no extra cost (the material required had more than doubled). We also offered to refund all of Mrs Hawe's money, and not charge for any of the work completed.

Mrs Hawe's requested the refund.

Tuesday 7th August
Money refunded to Mrs Hawe's via bank transfer.

There was a human error with the survey, and once we had established the full details (the very next working day) solution to complete the job for no extra cost was offered, and also a full refunded.

Speed Screed acted quickly. When wrong we hold our hands up and take responsibility, always good to know how a company acts when things do go wrong.
Cooperative men who listened to our requirements and did as requested. Good communication with company before screeding day.
Excellent customer care - high quality product & service provided.
Screed was laid well, guys were great. Waited 17 days to be sure the fast drying screed was dry as we had plastering completed before having the moisture test completed by Speed Screed which cost me £550+VAT. the guys who arrived didn't know the product and advised another 7 weeks as they said the moisture content was too high. Spoke to speed Screed on numerous occasions and they very rarely returned my calls. finally after 8 days the operations manager said he would confirm via e-mail that the moisture content was fine as the moisture testing technicians had given the wrong information but then finished off by stating that the floor covering contractor needs to complete a moisture test. now considering i'm the contractor who paid their bill in good faith and that i'm the one laying the floor, what the hell did I pay them £550 VAT for? I've used this company many times before and experienced a problem before. when there is an issue they want to not be culpable in anyway. the operations manager hasn't replied to my e-mail or returned my calls. I will definitely NEVER use them again. Awful customer service for such an important part of your building project.
Hello Chris,

We are glad that the screed was laid well, and you had no issues with the quality of the workmanship.

I'm sorry to hear that there has been confusion with regards to the moisture reading; the test was conducted and gave a reading of 2.6-3.0% (as per the report sent to you). The moisture reading was carried out by an independent moisture contractor, and not Speed Screed (all technical information was passed to the contractor).

This information should then be used in conjunction with data supplied by your flooring contractor/flooring manufacturer (the percentage moisture from the test against the required percentage moisture from the flooring manufacturer). The test result was within the guidelines of 95% of floor coverings; however, how moisture tolerant a floor covering is should be determined by the floor manufacturer. There should a target moisture content from the manufacture of the floor covering, and then the test is to see if the moisture meets the required reading.

It should be noted that how quickly a screed dries is dependent on the environment in which it is placed, and it was noted that plastering works took place after the screed was laid, which would have introduced large volumes of moisture into the said environment. Notwithstanding the additional of extra moisture the screed still performed to expected guidelines.

Kind Regards,

Speed Screed Ltd
Andy Parkin was extremely helpful with advice, information and follow up.
i sent a technical query to speed screed and within hours I had a video from their managing director incorporating the photos I had sent and offering a well reasoned out solution. Brilliant service from a technical enquiry and I am not even a customer of theirs!
both visits went smoothly, very happy with the service, and will definitely use on future projects.
everything is fine, will recommend and will use again
Really grateful to receive some detailed advice and guidance from Andy and the team. Friendly, prompt and in no way pushy. Once we're ready to do the works we'll definitely be contacting Speed Screed Ltd.
I contacted them regarding recent problems with another firm's screed installation and they were very helpful, maybe I wouldn't have had these issues if I'd used them, who knows..
Very happy with the service, everything went well, will use again
excellent job, very happy, will definitely use us again and would recommend.
I had a return phone call as requested from speed screed, andy answered my question very informatively and he was very knowledgeable also saying i could phone again any time if i was unsure about any problems concerning flooring solutions, excellent service
Andy was great
Great service always on time and very clean. Also do a great job.
Great job, impressed with the work, all waste was cleared and skipped, will use for future projects and will definitely recommend to others
went great! Really happy with the service. Mario couldn’t have been more helpful, polite, fantastic attitude and workmanship. Really am very pleased
Speed Screed Limited. is rated 4.76 based on 177 reviews