SLV.Global Reviews

96% of reviewers recommend SLV.Global

Tell us how SLV.Global made you happy

Maddalena
"I did a month of volunteering with the SLV global in Sri Lanka as mental health advanced placement. It was a unique, strong and intense experience. The team in Sri Lanka has been exceptional, everyone has a strong predisposition for this unique and splendid work. I worked and took part in various creative projects with volunteers and the team in Colombo, working with them and within the psychiatric ward was great. After this my professional and personal experience, something has changed within me and in my life. A month of emotions, a month of relationships, of hugs, of solidarity, of smiles. A unique experience absolutely to be redone. Thanks Slv global for this great opportunity."
Molly
"My experience as part of the 4th July team in Bali last year was invaluable. Not only did I learn so much about mental health, special needs and how to plan and deliver projects but I was completely submerged into a beautiful culture and welcomed into a community and family with open arms and the warmest of smiles. The people I met and the experiences I encountered I will truly never forget. The four weeks were great for opening my eyes to which aspects I do and do not enjoy about working within mental health and special needs, and this has been invaluable in my decisions for my future career plans! The SLVGlobal team were nothing but supportive and helpful and have continued to be since my time with them last year."
Sioned R
"I volunteered in the 4th July placement 2016 and would never look back. Not only did I learn and develop so many new skills including team work, presenting, taking the initiative, project management and planning and resources, I made life long friends in which I've since had reunions with people from all over the world - from England, Ireland, wales Singapore and America! The experience I gained is so valuable and rewarding, and to have shared this experience with such amazing, like-minded people is very special. Thanks SLV for an incredible experience!!!!"
"I would not recommend SLV to anyone. They are highly unorganized and as a volunteer I could see how poorly they treat their staff. Because the staff is treated so badly with little time off and too much responsibility, the volunteers suffer. I was sexually assaulted on a bus going to my homestay from y projects. I was with several other people and "was doing everything right." When I brought it to the attention of my supervisor, she told me "I don't have time for this right now." Later that same week, that same supervisor pulled me aside to schooled me because she said she had heard " I was talking about personal matters with other volunteers. " all in all, I absolutely loved the work that I did there and want to go back! However, I would not recommend this poorly run organization to anyone."
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I was so sorry to read about this experience. This is unacceptable behaviour and, again, I am sorry that you were on the receiving end of this difficult communication when you were already feeling vulnerable.

I would like to highlight that supervisors are also volunteers and that they do work hard, but that is no excuse for this behaviour. I apologise again for this experience, as this is highly unusual and inexcusable. I have been personally investigating this and would love it if you could provide me with more information. I'll message you privately.
"I wish I'd knew where the money goes to volunteers pay. Someone makes a lot of profit, that's for sure. One of the worst things was that I felt like being in a cult, getting brainwashed. The international coordinators seemed to be mostly people who enjoyed their "power", bossing people around. The "homestay" (I would rather say family-run guesthouse) was absolutely overcrowded (19 people), I haven't seen anybody who established a real relationship to a family member other than saying "thank you" and "that's delicious". Breakfast included meant you get bread and some slices of fruits - you bring tea, sugar, honey, butter, jam.. For dinner you bring sth to drink. Calling a placement "psychology" placement when 90% of the time you do not deal with anything psychology related is a joke, or rather a rip-off. "Guided" psychology projects - there were no doctors you could talk to (except one field trip). You just do occupational therapy: crafts, dancing, singing etc. Can be wonderful, but if you sign up under the impression you will learn about psychology ... seems to work for graduate students with no travel and work experience and who like to be treated like elementary school children."
Hi Liz, thanks for taking the time to write this. I'm sorry that your time on placement was not what you were expecting. We believe all of the projects where we work have a mental health benefit for service users. In fact, any question on the clinical psychology doctorate application can be answered using examples form the work carried out on placement and many previous volunteers have gained a place by doing this.

We also totally agree that the lack of mental health professionals in Sri Lanka is an issue, which is why we work there, but is also why we don't advertise any "shadowing" as it's simply impossible to do with the current resources. We're sorry if you were expecting something different.

And as much as we would love to house, feed, train, support and transport volunteer team members for free it's just not possible, which is why there is a cost, but we use our funds incredibly carefully and are constantly reinvesting in the communities where we work.

We really appreciate your feedback and are always working to improve, so we have taken your suggestions on board and appreciate you sharing your experience.
SLV.Global is rated 4.67 based on 169 reviews

Create Free Account Now

Fill the details below & get instant access