RAC Reviews

RAC have a Customer Happiness Grade of B-. Customers love their prices but are unhappy with their refunds. Full Insights

11% of reviewers recommend RAC

Motoring
Motoring

Over a week

How would you rate RAC ?

"Broke down with my family took 5 hours to get recovery truck to us! then comes time to renew the policy which we decided we didn’t need so tried to cancel & I felt like a criminal under caution having to explain why I didn’t want to renew & pushy sales person trying to push you into renewing wouldn’t take no for an answer first time I gave up & just hung up then second time I called up I finally managed to cancel after again explaining again I didn’t want to renew it indefinitely would not recommend the Rac"
"They steal money from customers as i have been charged twice and did not have refund! Avoid them!!!"
"Terrible, terrible service. My horsebox broke down with 2 horses on board on Sunday 7th October at 15.00 in Norfolk. The horsebox was towed back to a local garage, which took 7 hours, but the worse thing was that there was no consideration for the animals! It took 7 hours to get the horses back home too. It really is an animal welfare case!"
"Absolutley the most terrible service! I was trapped in my car on the A316 in the evening. I was all alone ( a woman) car lights and hazzard warning lights would not work i was locked in and the windows would not open either. I have an automatic land rover discovery and everything shut down. i explained this to them when i called and even though they new this it took them 6 hours to get to me. Appauling disgusting service!"
"Trying to cancel my renewal via post and email. (Unable to speak at present). 4 emails, 3 letters and a Facebook post. No response after 1 month. Took 18 hours to attend a home start call out. Poor service all around. Avoid like the plague."
"Terrible service - recovery (not sales side), I broke down in Sevenoaks a failed clutch hose at 4pm on a Saturday and it took the RAC 6.5 hours to get a recovery truck to me. Today I was with a friend whos car hit a pothole hole an burst the tyre (no spare available in his car). He had RAC membership an called them at 8am on a Sunday morning and it took them 5 hours to get a recovery truck to pick up his car. Such bad service I'm cancelling my subscription an going with either the AA or Britania Rescue"
"A four and a half hour wait for a flat tyre. Initially told would be up to three hours. Not acceptable at all. No update from the company until I phoned them after three hours to then be told could be another two hours. Shocking customer service. Have been with the RAC for a number of years and this was my first ever call out. I chose the RAC as believed they were superior to some of the cheaper alternatives. Will not be renewing with them. Will not be recommending them.."
"After over 35years continuous membership for breakdown the service over the last few years is disgraceful. Have tonight waited 5 1/2 hours to get home, only 7 miles away, after being told we would wait only 90mins!!! Several years ago broke down, towing a caravan, on Bodmin Moor in the early hours, took the RAC 4 hours to get to us on that occasion as they sent the recovery vehicle to Somerset!!! Even after telling the call centre I was disabled and needed to get home they still gave us the run around! My advice avoid at all cost and go with another company as thee do not give value for money at all."
"Been a member for 27 years. Lies, promises and failure to deliver service. Took three recovery trucks 27 hours to take us on a 3 hour journey.. It would have taken longer if I had not continued to keep calling at every service station we were stranded at. They used every excuse in the book including driving hours and tacographs fitted to the recovery vehicles. Fact of the matter is they don,t have a clue. Will not be renewing membership and advise people to use them at their peril. Their own complaints procedure is a farce. Insure with anybody except the RAC!"
"I broke down at 23:05 on the hard shoulder of the M25 in the middle of 4 lanes of traffic and a 2 lane slip road. I was 45 minutes from home. The RAC mechanic arrived 3 hours later, tried to get me started (because mechanics are targeted on getting your vehicle started only) and as a result of trying 5 or 6 times and overheating my engine 5 or 6 times my car is now a WRITE OFF. After paying £135 to be towed home, the RAC conveniently told me there were no vehicles available! So I had to wait for a taxi. When the taxi arrived an hour and half later I was then forced to argue with the driver who was demanding £100 cash from me, resulting in another 30 minutes until the taxi got going. I arrived home at 6am. At least I beat my car home, because that arrived at 11am. I was repeatedly told by RAC workers that they would call me back, they would keep me updated, the mechanic is on his way, the tow truck is 5 minutes away, and the taxi is 25 minutes away maximum. Of course this was all fabrication through shoddy customer service and genuinely not caring. £80 for my membership, £135 for a tow truck that didn't come, a £2000 car written off .... but not to worry because the RAC have given me a £25 cheque compensation!!! Oh no, this hasn't arrived in the post either!!!!! Judging by the service experienced so far, I will look forward to cashing that in at Christmas! Needless to say, I wouldn't touch the RAC with a barge pole and if you value your car and being recovered from extremely dangerous situations then look elsewhere!"
"lying scumbag unhelpful smug bastards, 40 minutes on hold at a busy road with abreakdown and another 2 hours before a patrol appeared!!!!! Then left at the roadside, avoid these cowboys and BTW that was my first call after paying monthly for 7 years!!!!!!"
"I have also had a terrible experience with RAC. They really don't care at all. My tyre punctured on a Friday night. On average 30 mins to get someone to pick up the phone and then waited 3 hrs into the early hours. I phoned several times for an update and although they said someone will call, nobody did. Gave up and ended up trying to change the tyre myself. Then, on my way home, the spare tyre also had issues. When I called, they said it could take 4 hours to come to me. Not sure what I'm paying them for. I also got a parking ticket waiting for them (another story). When I phoned to ask for proof of call out, the lady on the phone was telling me that my spare tyre should have been usable. It WAS usable, but punctured when I drove it again. Terrible blaming the motorist rather than trying to help you through it. Really unacceptable."
"For the 2nd time using them I have had to wait over 4 hours. Completely unacceptable"
"Member of RAC for 15yrs. Had problem with starting the car after holiday, waited 1/2 hrs on the phone and 3hrs later RAC turned up, lost/stole the battery cover, damaged the diagnostic socket, tried to sell RAC battery agreed to buy, installed new battery car did not start, put the old battery back, faked an electrical fault by pulling a start relay out from the fuse box and left after refusing a recovery. After leaving Emailed me a faked report ticking the customer box himself, signing in the customer space himself and typed I agreed the car was damaged and I refused to purchase a new battery from him. Phoned again and again after 8.5hrs another patrolman called and started the car with pushing the relay back in and spraying the engine with some moisture repellant. Complained formally by recorded letter to RAC CEO, did not respond for 3 weeks, wrote again by recorded delivery post, complain was passed to customer care who refused to investigate, take any action, or tell me what he has done to prevent a reoccurrence, offered me £50. compensation as an apology, I refused as the damage alone was in excess of £400. and fraud had been committed, just applied to Financial Ombudsman Services. Will never renew membership or use this company again. It is simply poorly managed and has gone down the hill recently."
"Called Rac as my wife's car would not start. A different garage was sent as an agent of Rac. He sat in the drivers seat tried to start the car. Nothing. Got out handed me the keys back and said it needs to goto BMW!!! Never plugged a machine in never opened to bonnet never looked at anything. In fact he did less than I had done. Do not be fooled by good reviews this is by far the worse service I have ever had and will not be continuing to pay for this any more. He literally could not have done anything less."
"Tried to cancel breakdown cover because my husband has beenot diagnosed with cancer and so we sold his car. Waited 35 mins to get through and then was browse beaten by a man who would not cancel it. Kept insisting we left it running...tried to get us to swap it to a different car. Anything but allowing me to cancel. Just bullied into submission. However a super young man at sales sorted it out for me the next morning and he cancelled it with no problem. The worst rudest service ever and this all came on top of my husbands cancer diagnosis."
"I'm sat here reading all of the RAC reviews, and I don't know what to say. Many people are saying that the customer service is bad. I've been a customer for more than 30 years and had to call then 6 times, not once have they been anything less than helpful. And the issue regarding wait times, how many people are going to assume that they can get to you in less than 2 hours, and the end of the day, they are one of the biggest breakdown companies with only 3 offices in the U.K. So imagine how many people in those 3 offices have to constantly be on the phones to care for the whole of the uk! And yes, you may say "I'm going the AA" or "I'm going to green flag" but at the end of the day, they are also going to have times where they are delayed by 3-5 hours. All in all, I think people need to be more respectful to the workers of companies like this. The patrols work all year round in all different kinds of weather to get you back on the road, and the people in the offices, they are there to keep you informed and help you if you have any queries, they do not deserve the disrespect they get when they call you to tell you an update. They are not the reason you are delayed, they are simply there to keep you informed. I've said my peace..."
"Impossible to get a refund for breakdown cover. Told them 2 years ago to cancel and yet they are still taking payments from my account! Spent an hour on the phone to be promised a callback and still nothing 9 days later. Told the bank and they said contact RAC! No wonder this country is on its knees."
"Yesterday I arrived by train late having started the day at 5am. I had been sick in the morning and arrived back feeling dizzy and Ill. I had a 30 minute drive home. My car had a flat and I rang the RAC. I have a top of the range policy with then. I was told there was a 5 hour wait! I told them my circumstances and was told I would be contacted shortly. I waited an hour and rang again. I was upset, cold, Ill, tired, and by that time the drunks were passing in droves, and I felt pretty vulnerable on my own. After begging and cajoling eventually they sent a non RAC van. Apparently he is used by the RAC as the RAC only have 3 vans for the whole of Carmarthenshire! The man was located 10 minutes from me and had had no call outs all night! To save a couple of bob the RAC were going to let me wait 5 hours! 4th emergency service? Yes like the two year NHS wait for a routine operation. AA here I come."
RAC is rated 1.48 based on 264 reviews