RAC Reviews

17% of reviewers recommend RAC

How would you rate RAC?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

119 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
D

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about RAC in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
"Rang RAC @ 6 mins to mid day to be told they are busy it could be 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours but we would be kept informed. @ 13:44 no news so rang them back said they would get someone to ring us back still nothing so 30 mins later rang them back and got cut off @ 14:30 a guy called Kane from Bescot rang back and said it would be another 1 1/2 at that point I wanted to make a formal complaint so he kept me on hold for about 10 mins to get a form. When he got back to the phone he said somebody would ring me back.... still waiting for call out and callback. 4hr wait is ridiculous maybe if we had been kept informed as they said but no."
"DISGRACEFUL RENEWAL FEE AND CUSTOMER DISLOYALTY I have been an RAC member for 20 years and during that time only called them out twice over 10 years ago. I have just received my renewal notice for this year's basic cover for two vehicles (not home start etc etc) at £174.99!! On inspecting the schedule I found an administration fee of £49 was included in this renewal with no explanation other than "improving services". I can only assume that they have a totally disgusting disregard for any loyal customers and assume that they can charge what they like and you won't notice. I telephoned RAC to cancel my membership and was immediately given "offers" of well below this price but too late RAC, you've lost an easy customer with no calls outs for good. BEWARE renewal prices with RAC and price shop every year!!"
"Never using RAC again, recovery membership - 40minutes waiting with no answer, got through in morning then told my car is just within 1/4 mile of house so need to pay more for home recovery upgrade. £15 upgrade but because you are upgrading on a breakdown there is a £25 fee on top. Engineer was good but call centre staff may require some empathy workshops. Customer service - that’s just policy sir - polite but pointless"
"Now been waiting on recovery vehicle/home start for 28hours 40mins. Was told at 12.30pm yesterday it would be here in 4-5 hours. No show. Phoned several times, got a call at 8.20pm last night to say it would pick up vehicle at 11.00am today. Needless to say I am still waiting. Been told various things such as recovery vehicle despatched at 9.15 today! Then at 1.00pm was told it was dropping off in area and would be with me within the hour! 2 days lost work and vehicle still needs to be transported to garage, which I will need to arrange and pay for. I have been with RAC for a number of years and this is the first time I have had to use them. Service non existent and will NOT renew again! I have one star only becauseit wont allow me not to rate at all."
"Absolute disgrace of a company / service. Broke down just after 9am this morning, called RAC as was estimated 2hours, 2 hours passed no phone call or show. Called back to be told RAC patrol would call me in 20 mins with ETA. No call, called back to be told 1hour plus + at this point my call was escalated to a manager..whom would call me right back with an update, did he? Nope! Still here 5hrs 45mins later sitting in my vehicle, freezing cold (no power) in car, obstructing other vehicles. I have heard nothing. Shocking way to treat paying customers for a service meant to help!!"
CSC Despatcher
Unverified Reviewer
"The best social media to complain about your RAC experience is Twitter and Facebook. See if James Knight (Operations Director} will explain why RAC service has taken a drastic downturn since he took over. He will tell you that you want to wait for as long as it takes so that you see an Orange patrol."
"I'd put no stars if there were any. Worst ever experience. Broke down at just after 6pm yesterday and someone finally turned up at nearly midnight. They'd originally said that recovery was coming out at 8-8:35pm. Had to pay taxi fares (£20 each way) to return home with my son who was still in his uniform to dress up warmly. It was freezing! Returned to the vehicle only to get a phone call to say that the Recovery wasnt going to come out till 10-10:35pm. They didn't turn up till 11:40pm. On a cold school night in an empty carpark, a single Mother and her son were left to feel restless, cold, tired and frightened. They have no thoughts or sympathy whatsoever for the likes of us. So easy to take our money but yet can't dish out the service when needed. Cheers for nothing. STAY WELL CLEAR PEOPLE!!"
"Car broke down (overheated) on m8, police phoned rac for me! took over 4 hours to arrive! blamed a change of shift! couldn't fix car and left, another hour for a tow truck, and 40 min to get home,not good rac!"
Mrs M. Wilkes
Unverified Reviewer
"I broke down in my car on Sunday morning in Telford Shropshire, I contacted the rac as I'm a member along with my husband, the person on the phone was very helpful and assured me they would get someone out to me Asap and call me back with an estimated time of arrival. I received a call about 3 minutes later to say someone was on their way and within 10 minutes My knight in shining armour arrived, by the name of Neil ! He was truly amazing, he checked my car over, told me what the problem was and fixed it there and then !!! Can't praise him enough. Thank you R. A. C. And Neil too. Mrs M. Wilkes, grateful member"
"Home call out early morning, car would not start so used our home start that we had, Breakdown arrived checked battery he told me it was totally flat, did more diagnostic testing, informed me we needed a new battery, we took our car to the garage where the trained mechanics did exactly the same diagnostic tests on the battery nothing wrong!!. we did what we were advised purchase a new battery or RAC would charge us £85 for a second call out on said same issue!! RAC were going to charge me £134 for a new battery, they never picked up on the fault, when I refused to buy from him and he got quite bad tempered and irritable, as a woman I felt intimidated by him At the garage we said put a new battery in as this is what were advised to do, garage mechanic did same tests and went to start the car, car would not start, and found out it never was the battery it was the started motor. Customer services took over their allotted time to get back to me, and they went on to explain that they were right and not me or the garage we took it too, and we had even sent them copies of the battery reading of our old battery which showed a 100% power on. so with the replacing of the battery new starter motor and labour we were about £350 lighter in the pocket. Needless to say the garage took it too were not impressed when we were advised by RAC mechanics to replace something that was never needed. Rubbish customer service and I think next time I will look at shopping else where for breakdown, they let us down they're a disgrace"
"Debris on M25 blew out tyre so pulled onto hard shoulder. Truck behind me carrying loose large stones must have also hit as my car was then showered with large stones (which have dented back of car). Called mercedes assist at 3.40. (Covered by them) Called back at 4.10 to say with Rac as priority (woman on own, m25) rac say be there in half hour. 5.30 call from rac to say v close but not sure where exactly I am. Despite being given info from road signs which exactly pinpoints location. By this point it is dark and am frozen! 6.10 get call from someone to say just been passed job and will be therein half hour! Which he was - from mercedes assistance. Reckon rac person gave up. No update about this from them. V dangerous and scary on M25 in dark plus cold and drizzling and phone running out. only got to mercedes as husband kept phoning rac and couldnt get through so rang mercedes."
"Took them 40 minutes to answer then was informed that it would take over 4 hours before anyone could get to me as they were very busy in my area. Luckily I was just a few miles from my home and as it was getting late and a new battery was all that was needed I abandoned my car overnight to return and replace the following day. Would have been very different if I were miles away. Absolutely scandalous, have been with them for years and this was the first time I have contacted them. Totally unreliable, they are gone when the subscription is up."
"Have breakdown cover with them. After 4 hours of waiting for someone to come out and after calling for updates 2 Times. No one come out to me was left dealing with it myself. Very not happy.. was just left with no call back .. What the point in paying for something then not being able to use it."
"I would not recommend anyone taking out a breakdown cover through RAC, after what I had been through. RAC informed a contractor would be meeting me at the car park at a certain time. furthermore to this, every time I called to chase up, I was told I will have to wait another 20mins and so on. Had I been told at the start, that I won't able to guaranteed a time then, I could have made my own arrangements. I paid for a service which I never received, I also paid extra £195.00 for the contractor to drop us off home. As mentioned had I knew this would take over 2hrs wait in the cold, I could have easily made my own arrangements. I had a 2 year child in the car, as you can imagine waiting in the car and in the cold as the car would not turn on. Furthermore, we were dumped in a car park where there was nothing opened, only the fuel station. I know due to Christmas day everything was closed, so I am not blaming them for this. It's only due to the fact that, we were left starving since this all happened, hoping we can get home as soon as, so we can be at peace. We didn't eat everything since 9 am, and we didn't get home till 9:30 pm. Secondly, the team handled the whole process very poor - I cannot recall the gentlemen I spoke to, who i found very unhelpful and kept rushing me off the phone, and stating the contractor will be there in 20mins? The contractor did not turn up till 2 hours and 20 mins after! I kept ringing RAC after every 20 mins for updates and they kept misleading me saying the contractor is on his way. Poor service not worth the money."
"Piaggio Scooter cut out in -6 temp. It took them over 30 minutes to pick up the phone. This is more than incompetence. It is criminal negligence."
"the rac were phoned at 9am 2nd January 2018 for a breakdown and phoned back to say busy bit will be with you 4pm and it is now 6pm and they have simply failed to turn up and no one can be accused on the phone and the one time we managed to speak with a man being they said they had lost our call deposit the fact they called back to message delays."
Caffion Hamilton
Unverified Reviewer
"They don't call when there are late u ofto call and ask I can't wait till my year up with them worse company I am going back to AA"
"I'll give you red heart on your reviews! Partner broken down at 1pm. Now 7.45pm and still not home. You are rubbish! Will ring you in the morning to complain!"
Juliettefox@hotmail.co.uk
Unverified Reviewer
"Membership money paid for nothing! My partner has been stranded on the A3 for 4 hours. Absolute joke. Been paying for YEARS and never called them out. Cancel you're membership now everyone!"
"I appreciate the weather is bad but my son was left stranded on a busy dual carriageway way. He rang at around 6.30pm and was told there would be a recovery vehicle within 1hr 30.. At around 9pm the traffic police turned up because he was in a dangerous position..after several repeat phone calls the recovery turned up at MIDNIGHT!!!!! There was no shelter and it was too dangerous to sit in the vehicle.. . Can't fault the recovery driver he got the car to a garage then got him to work (night shift )where he will now loose 6 hrs pay!!."
RAC is rated 1.75 based on 119 reviews