RAC Reviews

801 82 82 82

Categories:
Motoring
Motoring

Tell us how RAC made you happy

Over a week
customer service
"I have been with the RAC now for many years, during which I have rarely had need to call them out. Every year, in recent times, they have written to me to casually inform me that my membership cost is increasing, usually in the region of 20% or more. Each year I have had to call their cancellation team and haggle to get my cover back down to the cost that it was previously. This year, however, I am not going to do this. I have moved my cover to a competitor and intend never to use RAC again. I can only imagine the number of people who, due to lack of time or attention, let them roll over their membership and are paying more than they should. This is wrong!"
Are you RAC? No one is perfect. Reply to this negative review and show your potential customers that you value the feedback RAC receives and that when things do go wrong you do your best to put things right. Reply Free
"Took over six hours to get to me in August with hot summer dry weather. Took 40 minutes to get through to them. Claimed they were busy , paid £105 for 1 callout disgusting company have made so many cutbacks but still the premiums go up and up you have no chance in the snow, make sure you break down near a nice warm bandb. No point in having rac cover"
"What went wrong I signed up with the RAC I broke down after pulling up and getting cupboard beside your vans when I call you you say sorry want more money I say f*** you cancel my membership now I will never ever and I mean that never ever go with you people again your bad"
"Burst tyre on m3 on hard shoulder for 30 minutes could not even get through to speak had my disabled son with me Sat outside freezing gave up and arranged my own recovery cost me £330 been member for 11 years last time never again"
"What has happened to the RAC? I had previously been a member, but when I had a breakdown and agreed to a recovery and new membership I was conned out of £150 and left for 7.5 hours in a service station. When they finally arrived, I was told my car could make it home and didn't need a tow. It juddered and stuttered alarmingly all the way back. Now they won't refund me. When I originally called, there was no mention of how long the maximum wait time could be - but an estimated wait of 2 hours was given. This was pushed back three times, eventually to an unreasonable length of time. I feel this is at best a breach of trust and at worst a breach of contract. Trying to contact the RAC is very difficult - call waiting times for customer services are many minutes (I have just given up on one attempt after half an hour). I have been promised callbacks that haven't happened. Email correspondents have told me that it would be 'unfair to refund me' and then stopped responding. I have asked for information on whether recovery service capacity is reduced on a Sunday relative to typical demand when compared to other days, particularly just outside London. I haven't received any response but I suspect that it is, as originally the RAC was going to send a third-party company to me, until those mechanics clocked off and an RAC van was eventually dispatched. I think the RAC used to have a reputation. Now it seems to be desperately overstretched and willing to take money from beleaguered drivers in exchange for an unacceptable level of service. If you are in any way vulnerable, I would advise that it is not safe to use them because you cannot rely on when they will turn up."
"After several years covering myself with RAC I had to call them for a breakdown for the first time. Quoted 2 hours at first, then a further 90 minutes , then a further hour. After nearly 6 hours on a cold wet December night they finally arrived at 1am. Numerous phone calls and difficulty getting through. Some of their operators were understanding whilst others clearly wanted me to shut up and go away when I started complaining and refused to escalate my concerns. Sadly I have only renewed my membership a couple of weeks back but, will not renew again next year. Shocked at how poor they are."
"Said they'd be there in an hour, they were, really nice chap helped me in my hour of need and dropped me back home well done rac"
"RAC told us they would charge £5 per month to keep our membership ticking over but actually they are charging £37.50 per month. We can’t get hold of them to change this as by the time we finish work, they put us on hold for so long (30 mins plus) that the office closes and they hang up."
"Would like to say a big thank you to the RAC very helpfull. Would also like to thank the chap called 'wayne' who was a very nice helpfully guy. Job well done guys. He's an asset to the company."
"After my accident on Wednesday I called the RAC at 6pm I was told to wait for 3-4 hours which I thought was reasonable because it was rush hour and I appreciate that the RAC is very busy. However I spent an entire evening waiting, with no updates. At 10pm I rang again, and was on hold for 30 mins, thus making me run out of minutes on my mobile and forcing me to pay extra for this. When I did get through the operator on every occasion they were polite but did not make any effort to help me. Instead I was told that they tried to call me with no success, despite having the correct number. I spent the whole evening with my phone and had no missed calls so I thought this was strange. I re-arranged the visit to the following morning between 8-10am. The following morning I was waiting from 7:30am, again with no updates from switchboard. At 10am I asked a relative to call the RAC on my behalf to ask what was going on, so that my phone remained available. Again they said the same thing about them trying to get through to me. However they said they'd call me immediately. Half an hour later we called them yet again to ask for an update and they said the same thing. This was repeated every 30-45 mins. Finally around 11:30 we escalated this to management to get anything done, and there was only a brief verbal apology. Furthermore, they said that there was no record of the patrol drivers trying to contact me at all. Therefore the patronising advice from each preceding call (about how I should keep my phone with me because they had been trying in vain to call me) had been a lie!! There has been no offer to attempt to compensate me for my lost time and productivity, nor the emotional impact of the whole experience. This prevented me from working and I am suffering from the consequences. Previously I trusted the RAC as a well respected company, and they have served me very well in the past. This experience has destroyed that trust and I will no longer be using their services. I would highly recommend against using the shambolic RAC."
"Absolutely useless! Been broke down since 9.15am it's nearly 3pm still ain't been recovered! Everyone cancel rac and go with GREEN FLAG immediately"
"The RAC were very efficient and extremely kind and patient when I found myself with no headlights. They were prompt in reaching me and professional in the way they dealt with, what was a minor problem. 5 🌟"
"Most unprofessional service. RAC did not call me or updated me when reported breakdown for over 9-10 hours. When they attended, refused to take my car after 9 hours waiting to a garage due to many lies and fabricated data entry by RAC dispatch team and their third party supplier. This is the second time I called RAC where my experience has been identical. I have asthma and diabetic, RAC thinks it is OK for me to sit in the roadside in cold and without access to basic health needs for 9 hours to 24 hours. Each time I called RAC, I get the same response, we have a high call volume in the area you called from. Not sure how one can justify high call volume when no response was provided over 9 hours and even the response did not resolve the issue and I am now waiting for another recovery vehicle which I can guaranty would not come anywhere near my car over another 10 hours plus. The date of this call is 01/12/2018. Call No: AD02CA022."
"WOW! AMAZING SERVICE! ignore below 1 stars these are few and far between! Broke down, patrol out in less than 30 minutes back on the road in 5 minutes, absolutely brilliant!"
"Im stuck with burst tyre 10 minutes from Heathrow airport. First they said 2 to 3 hours and 3-4 and now they said 4 to 5 hours and still waiting. I didn't have the patience to wait until they fix it to give the rating. IF THEY CANT EVEN SEND A CAR NEAR HEATHROW IN 5 HOURS THEN GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO GETS EUROPEAN COVER. PREPARE YOHRSELF TO WAIT FOR A WEEK. IM CANCELLING MY COVER ONCE I GET RECOVERY. Dont waste your money"
"A 5 hour wait for a woman on her own with low battery on my phone is best unacceptable."
"My son rang up at 2.30 to say his car wouldn't start was told that a patrol would be there at 3.30, then 6.30 now it 10.00pm before anyone can get out. What a joke this company is. Where do they get the 3 out of 4 cars are fixed within 30 minutes from that they advertise. Seven and a half hours wait......ridiculous"
"I've given 1 star because can't give 0. My son is currently on the A38 with a burst tyre, no spare, as it's a new car. He has platinum cover and rac have refused to attend because they consider going over a pot hole and a burst tyre an rtc. He finished his night shift at 6am, he has to drive for an hour to get to work. He didn't see pot hole, as it was still dark. They said they would attend for a charge. Will be cancelling and going back to the AA, who did attend to me with a burst tyre. Also the lady who he spoke to at the call desk was rude and spoke to him like a piece of dirt. I will be telling everyone I know not to go with with rac!!!"
"Please think before buying rac European cover Myself and my husband purchased this my husband is a paraplegic bottom half of his body coming home from spain in September our car broke down in Madrid we telephoned as pr norm to be told our car was dangerous to drive as we were insured they sent a tow truck to take our car away for dignostic they could not find the fault give us an option to fly home or drive our car had a scooter a manual wheelchair a standing matchine for my husband to transfur from one seat to another an ipad Bose headphones a kindle and lots of personal belongings they give me 10 min to take what i needed which was a nightmare asi needed so muchthey took our car and sent a taxi to take us to the car hire company the taxi was not diabled friendly i struggled to get my husband in the car only to realise that we were being dropped at Madrid airport i had to push my husband in his wheechair and carry an overnight bag that was all i could fisicily carry i an 68 years old and so is my husband i had to leave my husband to find the car hire company they had chosen being Madrid airport they gave us a car that sill was not suitable to get to santander ferry port i then had to RETURN the car to the car hire company which was 10 min away from the port with no taxi to take us pushing my husband in his wheechair and carrying our bag i eas distressed and exhausted eventually arriving home 35 hrs later with no car i constantly rang them to ask when our car was being delivered home after numerous phone calls they told me November 15 and i left spain September the 4th our car came home unprepared although i had paid the extra for repairing as well started to unload my car i was devastated to find itams stollen out of my car an ipad bose headphones and 2 giant tins of tuna (lol) i reported the stollen itams to the rac give them all receipts to be told thee weeks later that they are not going to replace my belongings so very disappointed with the outcome And so dicusted with the way they treated my disabled husband is needs where not thought of at all i am now WRITING to thee ombudsmen regarding this and to disabled rights council i will never ever use the rac again i am very disappointed and discussed with the RAC I HAVE USED AA FOR 20 YEAS PLUS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM MOIRA MARCHESI"
"My car broke down on a at 1740 i rang rac straight away informed them that the car was dead and it would need a recovery vehicle was told that due to the position ie on a bend in the dark and a unlit rode they would not attend unless the police were there with blues on, i told them i would do this was asked to ring back when this had been arranged, this i did the police turned up before the breakdown van despite telling them it needed recovering when he finally did get there he asked what the problem was his reply with out even looking was it needs to be recovered it then took him 15/20 minuets to get through to his call centre on that he was told that it would be 1 /12 to 2 hours to be recovered The police spoke to them and said it would be to long due to the position where it was, the RAC were told that they would get it recovered this took 25 minuets for the truck to turn up they would only take vehicle back to there yard so i would have to get it recovered in the morning or i would have to pay storage until i could get it moved the police took me to the nearest place to get a taxi home (so much for customer service ) the following morning i rang the RAC when i finally got through, to ask them to contact the garage to pay for recovery and also to get the car to a garage that would fix it to be told no we dont pay because we did not recover it even though the police said it could not stop where it was as it was dangerous being a jag you can not put these in to Neutral unless the engine is running so it could not be moved i then asked the RAC if they would move the car from the compound to the garage where its being repaired YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS no we cant as this is an existing fault so I have now had to pay £412.00 for recovery and for the car to be moved to the repair garage and also £25.00 for the Taxi to get me home so what have i paid my membership for i ask my self i wouldn't even give this company 1 star going to be very interested if i get a reply over this and its also being sent to watch Dog Very poor and very dangerous situation even the police were amazed at the attitude of the RAC person ant the call center and also to leave a vehicle where it was thank good I did not have children disabled or senior citizens not that I was ever asked how and who was in the car"
RAC is rated 1.56 based on 320 reviews