OVO Energy Reviews

40% of reviewers recommend OVO Energy

How would you rate OVO Energy ?

Sandra
"Fantastic company so far. Very pleased to have left Scottish power for my energy bills."
"As a customer in receipt of disability benefit my income is quite rightly: the minimum the government has assessed is needed for me to live on. Therein, obtaining maximum value for money on my utility bills is vital. After joining OVO Energy on the recommendation of freinds & family & the 'Which?' Award, I signed up to their lowest tariff. A year later this expired without my knowledge & OVO failed to tell me. My account had switched to the standard rate & subsequently began to accrue a debt. OVO allowed this to continue in this state for nearly 8 months by which time the account became £160 in the red. I only became aware of this when I applied for a Smart Meter to be installed. OVO reviewed the account & without notice, put my monthly direct debit up 60%!! So that is twice they breached regulations & thirdly, they lied to me on the phone by telling me the new amount reflected my increased usage. In fact, their computer had factored the debt into the equation aswell. I explained to them that I was unable to afford the new payments & that I had applied for the 'Warm Home Discount' - (the Winter Fuel Allowance equivalent) for people on low incomes & that this would help pay off the majority of the debt. They then threatened me with installing a pre-paid meter & referred me to a scheme they run in conjunction with the Citizens Advice Bureau, which checks your eligibility before awarding their charitable funds to clear the debt. I duly applied & was told OVO were taking longer than usual to approve applications. Unbelievably, the government approved my Warm Home Discount in the meantime & OVO illegally applied it to the debt! 2 months later & surprise, surprise - there is still no word of their fund award & I now have nothing to help me with my winter fuel costs. AVOID OVO AT ALL COSTS!!"
Lois Nippard
"So far so good, very efficient set up and clear, transparent notifications on account usage. Recommended."
Beverley Crosby
Unverified Reviewer
"The customer service was excellent until about 4 months ago and they fitted the smart meter which actually gives wrong readings by as much as £60"
"Be warned - Ovo were excellent on prices but not on service. I had a smart meter fitted which upset my Burglar Alarm [and neighbours] I complained to Ovo that the meter had caused it.. had a very nice responce - don't worry - get an electrician to confirm it is the meter and we will refund you... paid £72.. electrician confirmed meter was causing it and managed to get alarm working for a very short time by by-passing it - told ovo reply was we won't be paying you as your alarm is now working and wanted another letter from electrician who was disgusted and refused to do one ..even though it was only working with the meter off. Changed suppliers - [this was 3 years ago] but didn't expect being a lady pensioner I would still be having to climb a ladder to read my electric meter because the Ovo smart meter is still there turned off so can't read it!!"
OVO Energy is rated 2.60 based on 5 reviews