Natwest Reviews

19% of reviewers recommend Natwest

Tell us how Natwest made you happy

Telephone, Live Chat
Over a week
"Worst customer service ever. I have been on the phone to the customer service to try and sort out an issue because their online banking and online credit card banking systems aren't unified (so inconvenient). No support, understanding or even the slightest attempt to help. Their personnel need training on the fact that expats who live half way around the world cannot pop into their branches as easily as that. Next time I'm in the UK, I'll definitely be popping into a branch, not for support but to close this account! Learn to treat customers right!"
Are you Natwest? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"A joke from start to finish. They have done nothing but made every possible interaction with them the most frustrating, infuriating and needless obstacle. Online banking is total chaos, their customer support service (when the system is actually functional) is about as pleasant as being fed human excrement. Nobody seems to have the slightest clue what is actually going on, who you are, and how they could even begin to be of assistance. Steer clear if you value your sanity."
"Absolutely shocking. They locked my internet banking and told me they would send me an activation code by text, asked if they had my correct number - no. Would not take the number from me as I may not be who I say I am, hang on, how many security questions have you just asked me and then you discuss my banking details with me but then won't accept my new number as I may not be who I say I am, absolutely ludicrous. Later I sent in some paperwork and I rang to see if they had it as I hadn't heard from them. We can't help you, you need to speak to your branch, put me through then, no can't do that you need why not pop into your branch - you mean the one you closed, nearest one 15 miles away and only open office hours????? My argument was, why have a central number for customers to ring if you can't help only a branch can yet you can't be put through or get into a branch. Only option was to speak to complaints, why to be told the same thing? After 30 years, I'm now switching my banks! Can't help but wonder, who is working for whom here? Also you manage to email me every month to say my statement is ready and also emailed me today to say you are switching my accounts so you can get hold of me when YOU want - where is security here as after 30 years are you even sure you are emailing the correct person?"
"I spoke to someone in mortgages who had a nasty belittling attitude. I have been with Natwest for years and have found them to be the worst bank, very unhelpful and arrogant. This attitude runs throughout the bank. If you want piece of mind DO NOT have an account at Natwest!!!"
"No transparency with unarranged overdraft fees. A £6 transaction became a £260 charge because the bank failed to alert me I was overdrawn. Despite asking for text alerts as well as email as the primary contact method, I received no emails or texts (but I did get a letter 2 weeks after the transaction - useful when you're not in the country). Just phoned an operator to confirm text alerts for unarranged overdraft usage - he put me on hold for 20 minutes then picked up again and accidentally (?) hung up on me. Don't waste your time with this awful, deceptive and sh*t customer service excuse for a bank."
"Customer service over the phone falsified that I had failed to pass security, when actually they never asked me any security question. So they refused to serve me. Next day I closed my account... I deserve better as a customer."
"Horrible customer service. Wouldn't recommend to anyone."
"The customer service was horrible. For no reason, my card was blocked for online purchases, and after chatting on the Webchat service and on the phone 6 times over three days, my issue wasn't sorted even though I was told, repeatedly, that my card was okay to be used again. The worst part is that all the teams at NatWest had zero communication so I had to continuously explain my issue to person after person. Worst service, and worst bank. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, look for a better bank."
"They aren't helpful at all if you're robbed and lose your cash cards. I cancelled my card after answering security questions and they told me that it was fine so they would send me out my new card. Then they said my online banking had been closed and put me through to the security department who said they didn't know why I had been put through to them, but my card had definitely been ordered, and if I answer more security questions they would set up the online banking again. Then they asked me a stupid question about transactions that I couldn't remember, so I said I can't remember and could they ask another one, but he said the computer says I have to answer a multiple choice question and they have no control on what the questions are, so I said I'm not sure and would only be guessing and I don't want to guess as I have no money for food or petrol, and he was quite rude and said I had to answer it but I got the question wrong and then he said computer says so, but my card would definitely be sent out, so I said it was a stupid question and I can't believe he was so unhelpful. So I wait days for the card only eating cereal with no milk wondering why it was taking so long, and after 5 days I phone up again and they told me that there's no record of me ordering the card, so the last person i spoke to must have cancelled my card without telling me, and I'm told that I have to go into my branch which is now only open a couple of days a week. I said my petrol has nearly ran out and it's not open again for days, and I was told I should beg people for money and food until i can get to a branch. It's obvious the one who was unhelpful cancelled the ordering my card on purpose to be nasty. They made a stressful time even worse"
"I have been with this bank for close to 6 years. I transferred money from one account to the next and they ceased my account for fraud. The fraud team has the worst customer service ever. They are incredibly rude no service skills and very vague. I have had most services cancelled subsequently they don't care. I have had larger sum into my account before . But the dealt with me like a criminal for transferring money between accounts. My money. Really gutted I left Barclays for them. Never use this bank they don't care when things go the other way. I spent a total of 21hrs on the phone for my money and still unresolved."
"I’ve been banking with them for years and I am truly disgusted and dissatisfied with their service . I’ve been the victim of fraud on various occasions with them but still remained a loyal customer with them. I was recently the victim of another scam this time via telephone and no one seemed to take responsibility for the poor security measures in place or acknowledge the fact that I’ve been subjected to fraud on many occasions . Instead I was told that they would not be refunding my money as it was my fault this happened and was even hung up on by one of their employees . I have not been able to have any form of access to my account nor have I been advised as to how I can access it and have instead been told that I have to wait to receive a new card as my old card has been cancelled so have had to rely on the financial support of others. When informing them that I would be taking my services elsewhere I was more or less told to go ahead . It’s disgraceful that I cannot even rely/ trust my my own bank to take care of my hard earned money . Do not bank with these people !"
"Since May 2017 (it is now December 2019) I have been harassed over my tax residency status. I keep filling in forms telling them that I left Republic of Ireland in 2001 after only having been there a year, and have been back in the UK since then. Eventually, with no satisfaction, I went into a branch. The assistant made a phone call and said that it was due to the bank still having a phone number on my records relating to Ireland. We duly changed this - I had my passport id with me, so that it was possible. We then completed the forms FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, and ALL of the forms were taken by the bank to be posted using the bank post. I expected to hear NOTHING more on this issue. But today, 20th December, I have had YET FURTHER HARRASSMENT, telling me that if I don't reply and complete the forms within 10 days, my details will be passed on to the tax body. NATWEST HAS NO RIGHT TO PASS ON MY DETAILS, AND THIS COULD CAUSE ME NO END OF GRIEF FROM AN OVERSEAS TAX OFFICE. How DARE YOU NATWEST? I have tried phoning the 'Helpline' on the letter - after 20 minutes STILL NO ANSWER, and I am being charged because it is not a free phone number! What a truly disgusting bank! I have banked with the NatWest for years. Once I have my pound of flesh with this bank - I'm off. You disgusting shower!"
"Phoned customer services to report my card lost and for a new one to be sent out. After answering a variety of security questions which included date of birth, home address, full name, account number, list of recent transactions, I was refused a new card as I couldn’t answer the final security question ‘ the exact amount of a recent transaction’ I was then told to go to my nearest branch which is 10 miles away as our town branch has closed. So now I have to take time off work to do so, very inconvenient and just outrageous customer service."
"Am forced to use the high st Bedford branch due to bank closures. Be warned take fold out chair, refreshments and something to entertain you whilst you wait in the horrendous long ques. When you finally reach you cashier don't think for a minute you will receive a 'sorry to keep you waiting' I was served by someone who was just rude and abrupt and needs more training in his job in how to deal with customers who are frankly fed up with all their branches being shut having to travel further for a service they deserve whilst investing money in their local bank. Hang your head in shame Natwest."
"Customer service is shockingly bad. NatWest have refused to allow me to transfer my own money twice in a week. I asked for my branch manager to call me to explain. Nope. Not possible. I'm not allowed to speak to him."
"Garbage company with useless customer … Garbage company with useless customer service. stay away. I have been a natwest customer for a decade or two. I had one current account and four savers. I switched current accounts beginning of year in the misguided delusion that first direct were any good. They aint. I kept my savers at Natwest but decided to go back. Had to open a new current account, which they said they would link......like going back 50 years to pen and paper days with pigeon post. I sent ID requested and now they want proof of income, which is sod all to do with them. I have no credit card or overdraft with them and they have thousands of £££ of mine. Bloody cheek. To cap it all they ring me on a witheld number!! I told them to sod off. Maybe FD aint so bad after all. They wont see any of my money again"
"Where do I start? Last year we opened a joint bank account and a hard credit search was done twice on my credit file. I called the bank straight away and asked them for this to be resolved. I also told my credit reference agency that I would like to dispute the search. Couple of weeks later NatWest refused to take the second search off my file which was done because of their mistake. Made an official complaint which hasn't got resolved FOR OVER A YEAR NOW! A couple of days ago we decided to cancel our account because we were leaving the country. We went to the Twickenham branch in London and got everything some I'm 15 minutes. Finally, I thought to myself they're improving. We cancelled all our direct debits, standing orders, and the account. The next day when we were already outside the country the first direct debit went out...oh joy!!! Contacted their team and they recalled the payment and advised us that the closing of the account will take 5 working days??? Well... We were certainly not told that! I asked again if now all the direct debits were cancelled? I was told, yes and there will be nothing else going out of our account. 2 days later another payment has gone out. Once again I contacted their team and I was told that this is the account fee for the month before...I asked twice while I was in the branch of everything has been some or if there's anything else we need to pay for, I was told it's all done!! How can a bank afford so many mistakes??? It's absolutely ridiculous. This company is a joke and all customers should stay away from them. As nice their customer service people are they also useless of resolving problems! I'm going to pay for the final fee but I'll make sure my review will be everywhere on the internet to warn people."
"I have no bad credit, an excellent credit file after never missing a payment (inc. Natwests mortgage and they actually sent me a letter saying I could remortgage WITHOUT CHECKS!!) and no problems whatsoever but Natwest have declined me a mortgage based on how I conducted my current account. What they mean is, I recently closed my current account with a £200 overdraft facility down and they don't like it. The new mortgage would see my pay them £400 less a month and they don't like that either. It's absolutely disgraceful, and they have now left me with a black mark meaning its going to be very difficult to get another strong rate elsewhere. Stay away from them."
"Staff in Watford branch are rude, bullying and unhelpful. They have no understanding of customer service and are intent on forcing people to use the automated machines, even though this allows no privacy whatsoever."
Natwest is rated 1.89 based on 132 reviews