Direct Choice Reviews

31% of reviewers recommend Direct Choice

How would you rate Direct Choice?

We need a working email address to verify that your review is genuine.

26 reviews
Review and raise up to £2.00
Donald T Rees

You've raised
£1.26 for charity!

Read & write reviews about Direct Choice in our app We'll donate to charity for every review written
Donald T Rees
Unverified Reviewer
"A totally unreliable firm, it as taken them two months and counting for someone with them to give me a quote on a insurance job. My conclusion they do not want work."
"Just had a letter stating they cannot renew our policy but suggesting another company who could offer a discount. Got no problem with that at all. They've never given us any cause to complain in the several years we've been with them. Reasonable price, polite and helpful customer service team and no charge for changing number plates."
MRS Jones Ferndale
Verified Reviewer
"I was very pleased with the service from start to finish.Had the back of the house fitted with new Windows and a door a big thank you to Nick and Nose for a fab job they were friendly and polite kept me entertained all day keep up the good work."
"After many years of being a loyal customer, Direct choice telephoned me to say they were no longer providing motor insurance and that I would have to find a different insurer. They stated that they had sent me a letter regarding this, but in truth had just sent me a copy of the renewal from the previous year. They also stated that they would send me a letter showing my no-claims discount. This morning I received a letter with the wrong policy number on it, which stated I had 0 years no-claims discount. On trying to telephone them, all of their telephone lines are either dead or no longer in service."
"Refused to renew my insurance without an explanation!!!"
""" Nothing has gone wrong i would never entertain these crooks at all im writting this to warn potential customers of what this company is all about put into the computer direct choice fines and you will see why here is a list 1 Fined £5400 plus cost at MERTHYR court for misleading customer that she was getting A rated Plus when they were C rating DISHONEST 2 Fined £50,000 pounds by the ICO which is information commisioners office for making nuisance calls 168 PEOPLE COMPLAINED 3 FINED £10,000 THIS YEAR FOR REFUSING TO LEAVE a house of a 61 YEAR OLD DISSABLED WIDOW FROM FERNDALE asked her for £10,000 for a bay and finnishing off at £2.000 disgusting also, 4 They have been on BBC X ray this year on the 6th of Feb 2017 NOW DO YOU GET THE PICTURE WHAT THIS ROGUES ARE ALL ABOUT DONT TOUGH AT ANY COST YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"
"Had been with Direct Choice for a number of years without claiming. Renewal this year was £846.21 compared (like for like excepting 50% increase in policy miles) to £388.47 last year! When I contacted at renewal to ask why there was such a hike I was advised there was an outstanding claim and that the policy would go down when the claim was removed. Finally (after several attempts) got the claim removed (we paid outside the policy), only to find the basic policy was still c. £750. The reason - new policy terms! Have cancelled and got a renewal for £320 with the same group (Saga)!!!"
"Quoted £740, they took £1200 out of my bank. Cancelled under the 14 day cooling off period. Still wating for refund! I totally feel I've been scammed by Direct Choice."
"Raised my premium on renewals by 300% because of an accident, no fatalities and then cancelled policy after I indicated disgust. I have been with Direct Choice for c.15 years, accumulated a good NCB with performance cars and since the SAGA move they have deteriorated as a business and my recommendation is DO NOT TOUCH THEM. As an ex Director of Risk for a global multinat. they have lost my trust and respect as have the SAGA . Appalling."
"They cancelled insurance with out giving a reason left me driving around for a week with no insurance till a letter informing me of a refund was being processed. totally disgusting when the policy had been paid in full"
"Charged me and extra £63 to cancel a policy that had run for 3 weeks despite continuous contact to try and rectify a problem with my no claims proof. Asked about cancellation fees and wasn't told about it. Not happy at all!"
"Still waiting after 6 months to get money for a total loss van"
"Over the last thirty years I have had experience insuring my car with many many companies, some good , some not so good but never have I had such a terrible experience as I have had with this company , "direct choice"have literally lied and written letters full of lies and nonsense to cover up the scam company they are they literally took a full years car insurance plus cover for legal fees plus a fee for admin straight out of bank account then made up some lies about me not providing them with information when the information they requested had legally been sent to them both by post and email The companwas asked to provide letters about the car insurance in full writing they never did provide the letter or policy they just took the money"
"I have changed my registration to my private plate and they have charged me £25 plus £4.43 additional cost (what for??). I had rang SAGA who I had insured with to ask if there would be a cost before I completed the DVLA paperwork and they said there would be no cost. (just wanted to get it changed over making it simpler possibly on any data base checks) I had only one month to run on the insurance so just wanted to check. Direct Choice said they were the insurance company and SAGA was their sister company. I told them the time and date I called SAGA and they would not look into it. I would have happily sorted this out with my new insurance which would not cost me anything. They only told me on the phone it was £25 but have slapped the extra cost on via email. Poor communication and clearly not transparent company. Will not use them again no matter whether they are cheaper or not on principle."
Kevin William
Verified Buyer
"Changed cars & private number plates staff were very helpfull & all changes went through with no issues."
(Car Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
"Horrendous company to deal with as they are underwritten by AXA. Policy states changes will incur £25 admin fee - fair enough. No one could really explain why I was charged an additional £34.93 on top! Total shambles!"
"Pretty much useless from the off. informed them of my 10 years no claims,to be informed that it was for me toshow that was valid & if not would void my insurance with no review and gave me a time period to provide it. Then had a cancellation notice through before the time period had expired. Chased up details & e-mailed it to them, a few days later a letter came through informing me they had voided my insurance. Rang to find out why & was told it was an admin error. Rubbish"
(Motorbike Insurance) - Posted 1 year ago
"Spoke to advisor to cancel my insurance with 3 months to go, to be told that cancellation fee (£75) was more expensive than letting the insurance run. but apparently now Ive declared the car is no-longer mine that I have to pay it. Bank details given to me not recognised as a company by my bank for some reason.."
"I cannot believe it has taken you 9 months to ask me to send in a review. If my review is that important why didn't you contact me a month after I bought the insurance which I negotiated February/March 2015? Unfortunately right at the time of buying Direct Choice Car Insurance I moved but MY CAR STAYED WHERE IT WAS. Trying to convince an operative of this was worse than hard work. I explained that my car was staying next to where I was moving from, therefore it had the SAME POST CODE but I was moving about the country until I found a home to live in. I was on the phone for ages! Having tried to buy 'on line' at a certain price (I think it was about £170) I then had to phone the company and explain my situation. I ended up paying £195 for my insurance BECAUSE I DID THE TRANSACTION ON THE PHONE! I was not pleased! I do hope you relay this message to Direct Choice and that if I stay with them next year they will compensate me for the time I wasted with them earlier in the year!"
(Car Insurance) - Posted 2 years ago
"So from the word go this comapny was awful - they kept telling me i had no evidence for my no claims so i obtained the relevant 3 years evidence from my previous insurer and sent it through to them. They then told me it wasnt valid as apparently i had claimed 9 years cover for my no claims - impossible as this would meant i would have been trying to claim that i was 15 at the time i begun my no claims. So obviously an error at their head office which they never admitted to but swiftly sorted it out when i threatened them to go to trading standards and explained all this over the phone and never charged me any extra - i would have not paid it as this wasn't my fault. Then i had a minor incident with another car - the parson hesitated at the point of going and then let someone out of her car so i rolled into the back of her at about 10 miles an hour - minor crack in her bumper. I call my insurance company and they tell me i will get a call next week for an update - this call never happened. I then go to renew my car insurance with a new company as I would never go with direct choice and then the new company email me to say there is a claim against my name on the CUE. Joy - this company never told me anything to do with this claim so I assumed nothing ever happened with it. Absolutely terrible service and I would avoid completely - they have never been any good and regret using them ever since. So now I have to probably pay a higher premium for an accident that wasn't my fault and for a stupid insurance company that cant even update their customers about things going on with their policies."
Direct Choice is rated 2.31 based on 26 reviews