BT Reviews

10% of reviewers recommend BT

Tell us how BT made you happy

Own Driver, Postal Service
Telephone, Live Chat, Email
Over a week
customer service
Ad Looking for similar companies? ? Adverts from our client network
"5 Routers Later Connection Still Drops After contacting BT 6 times and 5 Hub5's later enough is enough. The router resets itself many times a day and all BT do is send another router. Clearly it's not the router and after some investigation it appears the BT network is overloaded. According to a professional BT wire everybody onto the same ring and that can not handle the bandwidth of everybody at peak times. I contacted them a few weeks ago and they said they would monitor the connection. 8 router resets later over 4 days they claimed it had not dropped in the 4 days they was monitoring. Clearly they can't admit to the real issue. They also told us that in their T&C's it states that the connection can drop up to 5 times a day so tough luck. I signed up for 2 year contract a year ago and I'm regretting it massively. Any gamers or people that need a solid connection for personal use I cant warn you enough. DON'T GET BT."
Are you BT? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Get Access
"absolutely rubbish, worst customer service ever, poor broadband service! I've been battling with them since I moved into a new property 8 months ago, absolutely useless company!"
"Absolutle not recommended!!!the worse costumers service i ever deal with. They increase my bill by £20 after i rang to resolve the matter i have been told to cancel my contract if i am not happy ,awful! Avoide if you can!"
"the broadband speed is more times slow than fast,and bt mail must be the worst around it keeps going down,most people i know who have bt are fed up with it.Go somewhere else."
"Bad broadband speed and customer service tell lie after lies stay away better then suffer to get away"
"They called me the first day of my business (01/11/2016) and as fast as the sales person can say between the the lines she said 2 years contract which I swear I never heard of it, and now I sold the business after 18 months they charge over 200 pounds for cancellation. During my time with them I had such a difficult time as they created 2 lines instead of one, one for landline and one for broadband (I only asked for one line) and were charging for 2 lines, and when they wanted to close one line (when they find out what they have done) they stopped the service in other line too which that caused line in my business stopped for 5 days and that caused me over 1000 pounds loss. They are the worst company ever existed. never ever will use them and my recommendation is everyone affected complain to OFCOM."
"I moved into a new property on 30th November which already had the Fibre installed and the Openreach box installed, I contacted BT as advised by my developers on 01/12/2017 and was advised that they would be back in contact in 7 days once the connections team had dealt with this. I received no call within the 7 days so contacted BT again, I was advised there was a slight delay but everything would be ready by the latest 2nd January and someone would be in contact. The 2nd January came and went, so I contacted BT again who advised that the developers had not connected me, so I needed to speak to them. So, I contacted the developers who advised this was not the case and that everything has been done their end so it was a BT/Openreach issue. Again, I contacted BT who then proceeded to advise me that the developers had not registered my address with the Royal Mail, which is why I was not able to get any further so I needed to get this done. I again contacted my developer who advised again this was not the case and that the address was registered 48 hours prior to completion. So, I contacted BT yet again, who did apologise and advised that this was not the issue and that they were just waiting for an engineer to say 'yes'. Unfortunately, I am not sure what they are saying yes to, or what the delay was, but I was assured that my case had been raised as a complaint and that someone would be in contact shortly. I waited but didn't get any response yet again, so called BT on 22/01/18 and had a painful conversation and was on the phone for over an hour (the hold times were atrocious), I did speak to a pleasant lady, however, I got absolutely nowhere - she could not give me any information whatsoever on what the holdup was, how long it would take to resolve and why no one had been in contact - I asked to escalate my complaint, to which she replied I could not do, so at this point I was at my wits end on how I could resolve this and who would help me. I found an email address for a senior member of BT, so emailed to make a formal complaint and escalate things, I also contacted Openreach to see if they could assist me. This did seem to move things along, BT emailed me to say my complaint was being looked into and that someone would be in contact – this took some time. In the meantime, Openreach actually moved things along and emailed me to advise all connections had been made on 26/01/2018 so I could make an order. At this point I tried alternative providers but wasn’t able to place an order so I placed one with BT. On 28/01/18 someone from the complaints team contacted me to advise she had contacted everyone to make sure everything was in place – I advised her that I have already done this, so all she had actually done was confirm everything was already done! She was a pleasant lady and was apologetic, and said how they do not like to hear of bad experiences with customer service and kindly offered me £30 towards my bill, which I did appreciate and although I wouldn’t say that I was completely satisfied with continuing with BT, I accepted this to resolve the complaint. As the experience I had so far was not great, and I’d found out one of my neighbours had internet with an alternative provider I decided to search the market – previously when doing this no one came up on comparison sites for my postcode/address. However, this time Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone, plusnet and BT came up – some of the deals for the Fibre were much better than what BT had offered me and I was within my 14 day cancellation period. So, I called Sky as I wanted to try to switch to them as they provide SkyTV to me already and can be quite flexible on discussing prices. I was advised that BT had locked my internet so to call them and they would be able to remove this and I can place an order with Sky. I called BT on 12/02/18 as I had a query with my bill, the gentleman I spoke with was lovely he explained everything clearly and gave fantastic customer service – so far the only person within the organisation that I rated. I mentioned to him that I was planning on cancelling due to the issues I’ve had so far and generally being unhappy, he was very apologetic and explained to cancel within my 14 days to avoid charges, I also mentioned Sky advising my internet was locked – he advised me this was only due to being covered by BT now and that once I cancelled it would be fine. I couldn’t cancel at that point as I had someone at my door so would call back later. I called on 13/02/18 to cancel with BT, this is when I felt terrible after speaking with the advisor, I was advised that I couldn’t cancel and that BT had the ‘monopoly’, as a customer I don’t feel this is an appropriate way to explain me not being able to use another provider, there are much better ways of explaining things. I explained that one of my neighbours were with Sky, to which the reply was no, Sky cannot provide internet on this estate if they’ve lived there less than 12 months, which is the case for all of my neighbours. When I was trying to get my point across I was continuously interrupted and made to feel like I was lying and making things up! Not once during this call did the advisor apologise for the issues I had so far, or try and do anything to resolve my issues – just add to them. Also, I mentioned that there are cheaper prices available – to which I was advised that not for Fibre to the premises, and the advisor explained the differences to me between Fibre and Broadband, usually I’d understand this being explained to a customer, however, in the manner this was being explained to me I felt patronised and felt as though the advisor was treating me like I was stupid. I am not stupid and I know the difference, I am fully aware that it would be fibre that I would need to look for. As you can appreciate after how the advisor had made me feel, I did not want to continue with the conversation, which in the upset I did say on the phone but I was still talking when the line cut off. In my opinion, the advisor terminated the call, although BT will never admit to this, but as I was still talking the conversation was not over, it was coming to an end but I was still speaking and with how the call ended, I expected someone to return the call to explain they did not hang up and somehow the call terminated, but this was not by me. As you can appreciate, after how the call ended I was extremely upset, angry and appalled at how I had been treated by BT, especially with my issues so far. I emailed the complaints team that had been dealing with me previously on 13/02/18. They had managed to resolve my previous issues to an acceptable level so I wanted to speak to someone to explain how I had been made to feel and to try and come to a resolution. I did try to call their complaints number but this goes straight to voicemail, it was not something that I wanted to leave a voicemail about so left it at the email. I received a reply on 14/02/18 advising someone was looking into and would be in touch. I replied to thank them and advised it was an urgent matter as the 14 day cancellation period was very close. On 16/02/18 I spoke with someone after them trying to contact me the previous day, again I tried to call them back but all of the numbers to the complaints team go to voicemail on every occasion I call. Firstly, my email explained why I wished to make a complaint but the gentleman that contacted me said I wasn’t happy with the price, advised this was not the only reason for my dissatisfaction and tried to explain. Unfortunately I was met with another member of BT staff that was not helpful or willing to listen to me! I explained that the person I had spoken to previously made me out to be a liar and stupid – to which his response was ‘no, this is how you felt’. At no point did this representative of BT try to apologise for how I felt or come to any resolution, he had made his decision before he had even called me that he would not be able to do anything for me. He talked over me when I was trying to speak and discuss the situation, I have worked in customer service and in complaints – I am aware of how customers should be treated and how I have been dealt with treated would not be acceptable nor tolerated in the organisation that employ me. Customers have the right to be treated in a fair manner and not feel belittled, made out to be a liar and made to feel upset by speaking to customer services. I completely understand that there are always going to be circumstances where a customer is not going to be happy and that there are situations beyond a company’s control, however, customers should still be treated with respect and I do not feel that this was the case when I have been dealing with BT. Also, as a consumer, I feel that I should have the right to choose who provides my service, not have to go with a specific company because they hold the ‘monopoly’ – I have just purchased a new house, so as you can appreciate I need to obtain the best deal for me financially to ensure that I can pay all bills that I need to pay. My concerns are also that BT could treat other customers in this manner and they get away with it, there are many people that I have spoken with regarding my situation and I have not come across one person that has had a good experience with BT and would recommend them – it is a great shame considering they hold the ‘monopoly’ in telecommunications, yet their communication skills require a lot of improvement. If I could score zero, I would."
"We used to have a BT VOIP Line which worked perfectly well. When we upgraded our Broadband Line (With BT) we were informed the VOIP phone was no longer available & to keep our work Phone Number we were advised to go with BT Cloud Phone. We are having nothing but problems with it. Even when I have a Full 4G Signal and/or WiFi, sometimes it answers the incoming call, sometimes it's dead when I answer sometimes it brings up the End Call & Answer incoming, or send call to Answerphone. Theres no pattern for me to work out why it does certain things. My heart sinks when I hear the BT Cloud Phone ring. Is it a lost Customer!!!!"
"Bt have been so bad, and having read some for the other poor reviews I have nothing to add but all of them ring true and don't really want to waste any more time on them."
"All I can say is do NOT get BT Cloud - I have been in business for 7 years and when I moved was advised I had to get the BT cloud in order to retain my number. Since the day I got it there hasn’t been a week go by that I haven’t had issues. They even ceased my line & broadband in error for 3 days. Prior to that my calls were restricted due to a BT cloud flaw. The service and back up are unbelievably incompetent. Shop around but do not go near BT cloud."
"constant problem"
"Terrible customer service. Appalling communication skills. zero client confidence. Zero responsibility. Terrible product/service knowledge. No follow up. No call backs. No respect for customers. zero ownership. Could not recommend less. Please save yourself the hassle and try another provider. Worst company in UK for customer service. They WILL NOT solve any issues you have and will most likely bill you double and it will probably be your fault."
"Staff had poor attitude and spoke to my fiancée badly. Unacceptable and is not good for a business. Poor customer service. Eventually I got to speak to the complaints team and they are going to get the adviser manager to give them feedback. My fiancée is still mad and upset by the incident."
"Messed up connecting our broadband. We receiving text message to say it was being installed that day by midnight. Nothing. Rang up they'd screwed the order up. No broadband for us over Xmas. I'm so angry, the customer service has been utterly ineffectual. Do yourself a favour avoid BT!!"
"Shocking!!!! Avoid at all costs. Constantly not working. From a business point of view it has cost me thousands. Phone does not ring, or sounds like it's ringing from customers end and no-one answers (as it's not actually ringing). Keep getting fobbed off by BT who say "re-set the settings and it will work" - IT DOES NOT, "Oh you need a new hub, then it will work" IT DOES NOT. They keep bull s****** with excuses. AVOID AVOID AVOID unless you are a billionaire who can afford to loose money"
"Broadband service dire ,just got worse as time whent on ,customer service terrible kept saying it was fixed when it wasn't,Was on line to them signal whent, they then phoned me to ask why i had stopped messaging them.! wish i had read the reviews first.Left them at a cost due to the fact my contract had not finished. small price to pay. will never use them again"
"Terrible service, they cannot seem to get anything right. Customer service staff refuse to give any useful id so you can never get back to the same person. Most of the time calls get routed to Indian call centre whose customer service is even worse. Trying to make an effective complaint gets blocked. I would be ashamed to take my wages if I worked for such a company as BT. The regulator has recently given BT a £340 million pound fine, but who pays for that, we do the customers. I cannot wait to get away from them!"
"avoid, a bunch of liars and shitty support"
"Abysmal 3 Months Currently stuck with BT at the moment. Was unfortunately lulled into a false sense of trust and security by one smooth experience with them in the past. This seems like a distant memory now after 3 months of beyond the worst imaginable customer service. To elaborate on this just a little... our original order for TV and broadband was mysteriously cancelled by one of bt's own staff members and the same individual brazenly called us and suggested we had cancelled it until we were eventually told it was due to a 'supplier issue' and reorderd the package for us. There has been later suggestion that the offshore workers cancel orders and put new ones through in order to earn commission and simulate a sale that they have made... Only they did not put through a replica of the deal that we ordered. It was put through with none of the add ons, with 3 mysterious connection charges adding up to 169.99 (£100 more than the original order), a lower broadband speed than was offered at the time of the original order and at a higher rate of expense. The cancellation meant we had to wait longer for our internet services to be switched on and a lot longer for the TV package to be fixed. Three months down the line we further still don't have the free upgrade to the higher speed broadband package that was on offer when we placed the original order, we have now been declined cashback through a third party because the original order was cancelled and therefore not tracked (this is something that is no fault of our own but sees us £90 down - an incentive behind our choice taken away from us). All this doesn't even take into account the time that my partner and I have had to waste talking to bt representatives, incredibly disruptive to both work and free time. Representatives that call randomly (instead of ant previously agreed times) and make it incredibly difficult to get back in touch with them. I don't think any of them read the notes, we were constantly having to spend time re-explaining the complete mess they had made of it. Very few positives to be said for the process and absolutely no sign of an apology. Our open complaint seems to have now disappeared for a second time and there seems to be no level of accountability being taken - it's as if we are wasting their time. To top this off, our broadband stopped working 6 days ago. We logged the issue with them and there was supposed to be a three day turnaround. What actually appears to have happened is they have closed the initial log as complete (pretending they met their SLA) and then re-logged the issue themselves at a later date... 6 days on we are still waiting with no internet and no contact from BT. This really is only the key points and I think I could now spend weeks writing a book on the failings of BT. I can't recommend due to their inability to provide a reliable service or react with any level of problem solving ability and customer care when things do go wrong. We still live in hope that they show us some respect and somehow turn it around."
"When changing service providers BT gave me a new phone number but I wanted to keep my existing number. For 3 weeks now they have been saying I will get the old number back and I still haven't. They just tell you what you want to hear and they don't care . CUstomer service is awful and I can't believe It has still not been changed and have no hope of it now going back to the original number. BT is a terrible company and don't care about their customers"
BT is rated 1.48 based on 286 reviews