Barclays Reviews

11% of reviewers recommend Barclays

Tell us how Barclays made you happy

Over a week
2 minutes
Avg Email Response Time
"On 5th October 2018 at around noon, I went to withdraw £2500 cash from Barclays Bothwell St, Glasgow branch because I was traveling and wanted “Bank of England” notes instead of “Bank of Scotland” notes. I entered the bank, stayed in the queue till it got to my turn and politely gave the teller my request, she seemed okay at first but the next teller immediately jumped in and told me she doesn’t think they had enough “BoE” notes but she will have to check, so I told her it’s okay and that I will wait and have her check. So the teller serving me asked me to confirm my PIN on the PinSentry device which I did, she left for a while, came back and opened the safe and brought out “BoE” notes, kept counting it over and over again whiles whispering to her colleague behind the counter. She left again, came back and this time around noticed she kept looking at the CCTV and kept switching the views. After a while, she asked for my ID card which I provided, I even gave her two ID cards (my driver’s license and BRP), after a few minutes she asked me to confirm recent transactions which I did, then proceeded to ask me about a transfer to my account(from a joint account I hold with my wife). I told her that amount was transferred from my joint account with my wife because it’s more like a savings account for us, to control our spending and also protect against fraud because we only own a debit cards so we cannot get chargebacks for fraudulent payments and once the money is gone, it’s gone. She still kept me there staring at the screen saying nothing, most probably just going through my transactions. So I asked her why I’m being treated differently because there was Caucasian guy on my left who was able to withdraw money claiming his card was missing and even showed an expired passport as proof of identity. I asked to speak to the manager but instead a woman whom I later identified as Angela Bradford came out yelling at me to leave and go sit somewhere. I asked her why she was being rude to me just because I am making a withdrawal but instead she threatened to call the police, so I asked her to go ahead and call the police and that I will wait. That was when I took my phone to record the incident because as a black guy you do not stand a chance at any false allegation, she angrily came back trying to snatch my phone yelling at me not to record but I told her I need to protect myself because I have no idea what she will tell the police so I need some form of evidence. After waiting for almost an hour with no police showing up, I asked her if I should still wait for the police to which she replied “they will come and find me” and started laughing out loud and also told me she will have my account closed. I went to the branch on Argyle St, Glasgow to make the withdrawal only to see that my account has been placed under review and that I cannot withdraw or use my account until the review is over, which usually takes at least 10 business days. It was so clear from the attitude of the staff at Bothwell St that as a black guy, withdrawing just £2500 was such a big deal and labeled me as a criminal. The last place I expected to face racism was in the bank trying to withdraw my own money. Most banks in the UK have very bad reviews but I chose Barclays because I used Barclays back in Ghana. I only transfer money to my Barclays account from “MY” bank account from other EU financial institutions and just because of the bad experiences people shared online. The only reason I chose to even transfer that much money from “MY ACCOUNT” to my Barclays account because I wanted “BoE” notes so I can get a better exchange rate, my biggest regret. This incident has caused me lots of depression and will be visiting my GP tomorrow because the daily racist abuse and stereotype is just too much for me and is just sickening. I have also asked my wife to switch banks because of this incident, I’m just glad we did not accept the mortgage and credit card offers from this fraudulent and racist institution. This attitude is totally unacceptable, being a black person does not mean you should be poor. I save and invest a lot because I want to have a better future. #RacistBarclays #BoycottBarclays #BarclaysDiscrimination #BarclaysRacism #BarclaysStereotype #AngelaBradford #BarclaysBothwellSt"
Are you Barclays? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Avoid Barclays bank as much as possible! Have been waiting for a business account for over three weeks while having to deal with rude and incompetent staff. They do not care about their customers and have no concept of the term "customer service". Save yourself the stress of having to deal with them."
"I took a 20 mile trip and an hour in the branch to open two help to buy ISA accounts, we deposited money in cash.. a week later, I get a letter stating my account has been closed for no reason whatsoever. I called Barclays to complain and the complaint department called me back and stated the reason was they did a review and that the bank decided they didn't want us as a customer. That was the only reason given. This is discrimination and appalling for any bank to do!! They can close your account without any reason whatsoever!!"
"My father dies in December 2017 - had a Barclaycard debt of some £2500, but £1250 left in his Barclays bank account. Was given to understand that credit card debt died with my Father and funds remaining in his bank account would be released to pay for the old buggers funeral... oh no, not Barclays - 'it is our policy to retain the bank account funds to clear his credit card'. Not enough that they robbed him of £40 per month for some spurious insurance policy that was - after reading the small print - completely worthless, so that's 8 years at £40 per month = £3840... Hope the f*ckers choke on the £1250. Banks/Bankers - first they f*ck us in 2008, keep their bonuses then keep on f*cking us and get away with it. I told my Father not to bank with them, but he knew best.... looking at the 79.28% 1 star rating it seems many other folk are not too happy with Barclays either. hope their chief exec chokes on his Latte one morning. ... also had the unfortunate task of visiting a branch (Frodsham)- whilst sorting my fathers affairs - queued for 45 minutes to be met by a completely disinterested young chap who seemed to have not one clue. What a shower they are."
"Worst service poor communication"
"The worst, and getting worse as time goes by."
"Customer services is beyond a joke. after being given in-accurate an misleading information regarding mobile banking app which failed to install. i spent over 1.5 hours talking to various representative including so called managers, all of them totally useless and clueless, couldn't understand what they were saying as the speed and heavy accent became too much in the end they blocked my account without telling me and of course for no genuine reason in order to prevent me from making a complaint.been a customer for over 20 years . I made an application to switch both my accounts to another institution today. I hope i will never have to contact barclays ever again."
"Worst bank you can choose. Highest level of incompetence ! Avoid !!! Extremely unprofessional"
"Honestly I’ve got bad experience with Barclays Bank. I opened current account but after 7days closed my account without any reason. I called customer service but nobody and manager not responded. I wonder about they opened credit cards account about 2 years I got it. But they couldn’t open the current account. Ridiculous, weak management."
"I opened my bank account with Barclays more than 3 years ago without any problem and really I was happy with them, yesterday without any notice they blocked my account and neither the phone customer service nor the bank branch in Liverpool could explain why did that happen! They just said that my account is under reviewing and they can’t tell me the reason! I’m really disappointed"
"Disgusting vile bank"
"One star is being over generous"
"I pay a monthly fee for a package that includes use of Dragon Pass for Airport lounges. I was shocked when I tried to use the pass at Gatwick to be told that I could not use the lounge because it was too busy. However, I could pay £15 to be upgraded and would be allowed to enter. I subsequently spoke to 4 people I did not know and surprise, surprise, they had on different occasions had the same problem. How can Barclays get away with charging a fee for something that customers cannot access."
"For the past two months. I am disgusted with the service I received. I received an international payment and by default the senders bank made an error and transferred the funds twice. I received a confirmation from Barclays stating I received two payments which I accepted and spent. Without informing myself Barclays removed funds from my savings account. As a premiere customer I made a complaint as I believe in this situation I should of been informed. The person dealing with my complaint had the audacity to search me on LinkedIn rather than dealing with my complaint. Which I believe is below the belt and breaches my data protection rights. I made a complaint twice to Barclays and once I was told that I should chase up the bank who made an error. The person searching me up on social media I would be compensated for £100.00 if I remain silent. I escalated this complaint once again and it was referred to Clarie Pennington who said due to the work load Barclays has we cannot notify all customers if we withdraw money. Secondly the person can look me up on LinkedIn as it is a public domain and we have a mutual connection. This is just beyond dishonesty, I sent a screenshot to the Barclays team showing how the person has looked me up and I received a notification. Not sure where my data has been used and why I was looked up on LinkedIn. Barclays needs to review their process in place as this is in Breach of my privacy."
"Went with my daughter to open her first bank account. First tried to phone call centre to make appointment, could not make the lady in India understand. So I hung up. Went on live chat to make the appointment, it took close to 30mins to sort the appointment . I was told 3.30 on Monday. Went to the bank at 3.30 and was told the appointment was scheduled for 2.30. I had a screen shot of the appointment. Then they told myself and my daughter that her provisional driving license , birth certificate , NHS card , National insurance number letter. A recent utility bill and my passport was not enough for identification purposes . And they could not open her a 16-19 yr old account. Wonderful how stupid. So I walked down to lloyds bank asked if they could squeeze us in. Pleasant chatty people said yes . They asked for identification I showed in the selection of things we had and they said provisional driving license is just perfect photo ID. So anyone thinking about Barclays Bank just don't bother go to Lloyds ."
"I would like to express my unpleasant appointment with one relationship manager. It was a waste time and she was not really professional indeed she was not paid attention at all to my request, query she was busy to greet some others customers! It is not acceptable and Friday te D to treat like that. In addition this appointment does not give a privacy as less than a meter you have another desk where you could over hear tge conversation. Barclay's really need to improve the branches and give a huge training to staff."
"Worst bank I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. I have visited the moorgate branch 4 times at different times of the day to try and close my account but there is always a "20-25 minute wait". Even though I was told come back at 4pm "we are always really quiet then". Nope. Also there were several desks and only 2 occupied with customer service reps. You can't make an appointment becuase the book is full for 2 weeks as well and have to see someone in person in order to close an account. Exasperating. Avoid them at all costs"
"Poor service and no counter staff at Wakefield trinity walk branch"
"Barclays Banks have to be one of the most difficult banks to deal with and for no reason. Luckily, my accounts are with Nat West but my parents and sister's accounts are with Barclays and it would appear they have such a desire to keep other people's money that they made it extremely difficult to even pay the funeral expenses of my father. Vanessa Tobin"
Barclays is rated 1.50 based on 183 reviews