Chris Bowers Reviews

17% of reviewers recommend Chris Bowers

How would you rate Chris Bowers ?

"I ordered 3 gooseberry bushes and 2 currant bushes, all as bare too plants. The delivery was fine, they arrived in November and planted up into the prepared bed. In the spring, it took a while (with the cold spring) for the plants to shoot. It became evident that one of the five plants was dead, no shoots, leaves or anything. i waited another couple of months, and sent a photo of the bed, also showing the 'live' plants, and stated that that gooseberry in question must have been dead on delivery. I asked for a refund or a replacement. But Chris Bowers said that because I had not reported the faulty plant immediately, they would not do anything! Rather difficult to tell if a bare root plant is live or dead!!"
"I should have checked the companies reviews prior to purchase - Much the same experience as a review I have just read. I spent over £100 on fruit trees and we ordered on the basis of their website describing fast delivery within 2-3 working days. I got a terse confirmation of order. After two weeks I contacted them to check my order status and I was given a one line response telling me my order would not even be process until at least 10 working days. Tried calling them, and they redirect all calls to a dead mobile, they take several days to respond to email, and ignore the majority of the content and just provide an almost automated response. I tried to cancel my order due to the delay and my response was ignored. I would strongly advise that you do not buy from this company, their customer service is diabolical Plants were eventually delivered in either a dead or dying state. Survival rate 0% No response from company and so no choice but to raise a Credit Card Chargeback If you want a conclusive answer try calling the company on the number quoted on their website."
"Nice trees and canes, but you’ll be lucky if you get what you ordered, and you will probably find out a year later. When you contact Chris Bowers, you will be ignored the first few attempts. If you persist, you will get a brusque response, with little sympathy, and no sense whatsoever of customer service, or the basis of a contract of sale. Take your chances, but don’t blame anyone but yourself when your carefully selected fruit orchard turns out to be not at all what you desired. I ordered 5 summer and 5 autumn raspberries. I got 2 summer and 8 Autumn, and a rude response which inferred that I had healthy canes, so what was I complaining about? Having designed my garden and erected support wires, I though this was annoying at best and downright rude at worst. If I were advising the managing director of the firm, I would hire someone who understands the importance of customer satisfaction, and the importance of delivering what is advertised. Put John Bowers out to pasture."
"Ordered some fruit trees in February, due to the snow, they were unable to uplift them. They immediately advised me after I placed my order that there will be a delay, which was completely understandable! They responded to my emails and kept me up to date. Once I received the trees, they were very well packed. I planted them end of March and are now in full blossom, so can not complain at all! Also ordered a fruit bush which was a good size and again good quality. Not sure why so many people complain as I experienced a really friendly service! Even got nice instructions by email on how to care for my purchase."
"The two fan trained apple trees I ordered look more like a couple of weedy sticks. I have never seen such dismal looking specimens, and also they came with no labels to indicate which was which. I shall ditch them and treat this as a lesson not to use this company again."
"Absolutely dreadful service. I ordered as I was assured my vine would be delivered within 3-5 working days. When it was not received I followed this up with chaser email...no response, so emailed again to get a very rude update to which again did not arrive then another update, you get the picture. I have now requested refund but the response emails I have received have been the rudest I have ever received from a company. Avoid this company!!!"
"I placed an order and paid in full online. I followed up with an email to ask where my delivery was. The email received back said "I got there before them, they are very busy and it would take another week." I said this was not convenient due to holiday and other plans and asked for refund and that I would reorder later in the year. I am now another 3 emails in with a lady, who is coming up with every excuse not to refund me my money. The service is appalling. Avoid the company at all costs."
"Absolutely shambolic, with the worst customer service I have come across in ages. They take your money, but don't despatch or update you. When you try to get in touch they ignore emails and don't answer phones. Save yourself a lot of grief and avoid these muppets. I have placed 3 orders and never managed to get a single one delivered, or a reply to an email."
"Trees we very poor quality, we have since replaced them all. Would not respond to any enquiry phone or email. Will never buy anything from them again."
"I placed this first order for two named vines (a black and a white in Autumn 2016 ) and upon delivery both were duly planted in my new greenhouse together with their attached variety tags, however when fruiting in summer 2017 both turned out to be black. I sent them an email to let them know and without my email being acknowledgement the correct White variety turned up soon after, however I've now ended up with two black vines with their questionable labelling which is a shame as I've always wanted a Black Hamburg vine since first seeing it as a child growing In nearby Hampton Court . Despite this I gave them the benefit of doubt and in Autumn 2017 placed a second order via email and acknowledged by them for the strawberry order and assumed that as the order had been placed late in the season I'd receive them in spring 2018 However weeks later I felt rather stupid when my bank statement arrived stating payment had been refunded and after checking my account with them found no sign of my order ever having been placed. Today I decided to reorder the strawberries only to find it will now cost me £10 more for the same thing which has enraged me."
"A COMPANY FROM HELL - AVOID IT! SPARE YOURSELF MISERY! A month ago I ordered recently two super columnar fruit trees from this company, an apple and a plum. I asked the company to ensure that they arrived here by late May because I was due to be away for a few days and rightly I wanted to ensure that they were planted up at my allotment in good time. The two trees duly arrived. I took them up to the allotment, unpacked them there - only to find that one of them had clearly been unceremoniously ripped out of the ground, then more unceremoniously plonked into a floppy small plastic pot sized bag with really miserable looking damaged roots. That was all bad enough as it was, but this small undersized very runty tree was totally infested and over-run with ants - gazillions of the creatures who were clearly making mince-meat of it pdq. I gave this small tragic little tree the full anti-ant treatment and planted it out, watered it, nourished, and had it watered for the few days I was away by my next door allotment holder, (and she is very reliable). It died, it was as dead as a dodo within days. By my return is was beyond death on the far side of eternity. It was just about dead on arrival, definitely in its death throes, shrivelled and horrible. When I wrote to the company the response was that I hadn't planted it immediately, that I hadn't watered it, that it hadn't been watered while I was away. ie - this company has taken no responsibility for sending out a nearly dead ant-infested tree. When I sent a photograph, the same response. Unbelievably unpleasantly written, but clearly written with gusto and determination to talk to a customer in a pretty revolting, actually disgusting, manner. You just have to wonder that they consider this acceptable business practice I hope this will give you, (as a potential customer of this company), a strong warning that if you buy from these people and you take up any issue with them, you may well find that you are given the shove off - this isn't even a brush off, it's clearly a well tested way of making sure you get lost. Spare yourself your grief. - and be under no illusion that you will receive decent respectful customer service. My experience is that you may well not. I didn't and I wouldn't want you to have to waste your money, your effort, your hope and your outrage. It's not a pretty outcome. Go buy your trees from another company. I strongly advise you to leave this one alone."
"Speedy delivery of 2 cordon trained apple trees; 'Limelight' (eating apple) and 'Reverend W Wilks' (cooker). The trees are usually very good quality from this company. Just a couple of times over the years, I received the wrong tree. Once I actually received a what turned out to be a fan trained plum, although I ordered a 'Kestrel;' peach fan trained. This was planted in my polytunnel over 18 months ago, I e-mailed them up on receiving the tree, as I suspected the leaves looked like a plum, not the long pointed leaves of a peach, which I recognise as I already grow peaches on my allotment. They replied to my e-mail and said 'it is a peach!' - sorry, but I am 110 per cent sure after 18 months it is NOT a peach tree, but a plum tree, 'the juvenile leaves can sometimes look like a plum I was told'. in the e-mail from the nursery. On another occasional, I ordered a 'Humboldt' nectarine fan trained tree and it now has fruits on it - not smooth, but with the furry texture of a peach - not a nectarine. A third mistake has been made when I ordered a 'Pineapple' nectarine tree, again fan trained, this time it is again a peach, because it has a furry skin on the fruit and is already has quite large peaches on it in Mid May inside my allotment greenhouse - so is infact an early variety of peach and NOT a 'Pineapple' nectarine. I have a nectarine tree, so I know how tho recognise the smooth skin of the fruit, compared to a peach. Are these genuine mistakes or do they just want to get rid of varities of fruit tree, where they have a surplus and have sold out of the variety I requested? 3 incorrect trees delievered, but do they realise that most people can't be bothered to complain after 18 months by which time it has only become apparent that they have been sent an incorrect type of fruit tree? The quality of the trees is generally good, but they are sending out incorrect trees for some reason; I have had the wrong type of tree sent on 3 occasions. I can't be bothered arguing with them/complaining or the hassle.time of having to dig up the trees I have now planted and had growing for 18 months."
Chris Bowers is rated 1.67 based on 12 reviews