Trainline Reviews

16% of reviewers recommend Trainline
1 New Reviews Written
10AM
10AM

Tell us how Trainline made you happy

Live Chat, Telephone, Email
"Booked an anytime open return ticket from Nottingham to Lincoln and everything was fine for the journey to lincoln, I had no problems with the ticket or Trainline but when I got to the train station the next day to return to Nottingham, my ticket got declined and I was told that my ticket was a day return and so it had expired. I checked my emails and even the app and they both said that it was a day return even though I know i booked an open return. I called the Trainline company and asked for a refund and they were unhelpful and told me that I should have checked my email properly when I received it even though they admitted it may have been a glitch in the app, I told them that I didn’t think that I would have to look for mistakes on their part because I know what I booked and they just said that they couldn’t give me a refund. By that time I had missed my train, I was panicking and had to call someone to come get me from the train station because the next train wasn’t for another 2 hours. So overall, I wouldn’t recommend Trainline to ANYONE because they are completely useless and expect you to check for not only your possible mistakes but theirs too."
Are you Trainline? Gain access to your dashboard so you can reply to this review. Free Access
"Thought I booked a train...only after I paid did it advise return was a bus. If I wanted a bus I would have booked a bus"
"Daylight Robbery | What a joke The train service is unreliable and costs a fortune! Without a doubt, everyday my train is 15-30 minutes delayed. The train hasn't come on time for weeks. Approximately 3-4 times a month it is cancelled, the consequences of this is being late for work and having to pay additional money for taxis or other services. The worst part about this is that the rail service provide absolutely no refund when the train is cancelled. I have to pay for a service that I do not receive. Last week I bought a 16-25 railcard for the price of £30. Only to find out that it wont save me any money on season tickets and only knocks off £1 on daily tickets, (definently not 1/3 as advertised). You cant use it anytime before 10:00 AM in the morning, this is pointless because everyone tends to start work before this time. The ticket was refused a refund, despite the card not actually being used yet. It's a pure scam to get more money out of you. I'm a student on minimum apprenticeship wage. It takes 16 hours of work to pay the train for the week. An expensive £47 for 4 small journeys! The rail service is an absolute joke and their only purpose is to provide you with a terrible on-train experience for an absolute ridiculous price. I do not recommend to anyone - they are stealing from me daily."
"All good , highly recommend , thank you"
"Do not buy train insurance it is a scam...They dont pay out for cancelled train, delayed trains illness...when I asked them what the insurance is for the told me read the small print....Please dont waste your money..it is disgusting to advertise this insurance and be so rude to me when I asked what I paid for. I always buy the train insurance..what an idiot I am."
"My online purchase from Trainline was for my wife travelling from Worcester to Ipswich, which involves London Underground travel between the Paddington and Liverpool Street stations. Neither the booking confirmation nor the printed ticket showed that the fare for that Underground travel was already paid. My wife paid for the journey at the turnstile, so we paid twice for the Underground travel. Later, I emailed Trainline Customer Support suggesting that the rail ticket and booking confirmation make it clear that the Underground travel is already paid for, and the ticket can be used at the Underground turnstiles. Simples? Apparently not. The booking confirmation did include mention of the Underground journey, was the reply, as the word ‘Tube’ appeared on the route. Perhaps posting this review will alert others to this lack of customer helpfulness. Who knows, Trainline might still do something about it."
"I bought some family train tickets via the Trainline App but there were many problems with the electronic booking I was attempting to make. After a phone call I was assured my booking had been made correctly. When I picked the tickets up, just prior to travel, they were incorrect. I was forced into a hefty surcharge, refused a refund and this was despite my account ultimately showing the correct details for the journey. Customer service was appalling and only resulted in generic answers that showed they neither listened or cared. Consequently I cannot recommend this company."
"I have never been treated so disgustingly by a customer service team. It has been nearly two years since my incident has occurred, I have wasted time and money calling and emailing their customer service team to be called a liar on the phone, which they refuse to find the recording of and now I am ignored all together. I have been a loyal customer since being a student 5 years ago and I am heartbroken to have lost my hard-earned money to a company just because they refuse to listen to my story or look at the evidence in front of them. I am continuing to fight my corner today, despite the cold shoulder I am constantly given. If you shop with the Trainline you risk, if any problems occur with your journey such as cancellations, losing your money for good. Never to be trusted."
"Train line sells you more tickets than there are spaces to make more money. Took a 4.5 hour train from London to Edinburgh with something like 20 people more per carriage than there are seats. In every carriage. Avoid this company and book directly with the train operator."
"Not letting me to use the 33% discount from my railcard. There are cheaper alternatives"
"These jokers use every tactic to strip you of cash, including mis-leading ticket class info, huge 'admin' fees, with support either via a chatbot robot that's useless or an Indian call centre. I booked First Class to Sheffield return £199. I changed the outbound date: they refunded £105 towards the new ticket but kept the rest. AND they took £60 'admin fee' off the £105. AND the changed ticket turned out to be in Standard class both directions yet cost the same (£199). Worse still they DELIBERATELY don't show the class of the changed ticket when you make changes (they just show fare name eg super saver, not class of travel). You have to find a small link saying 'other fares and 1st class' to even work out they've downgraded you, so it's not clear at all. The new fare amount exactly matched the old fare to help with the swindle - in reality I could have booked a standard return for much much less. I found if you go directly to the rail company it's cheaper, clearer, and they don't rip you off on changes. AVOID THESE RIPOFF CLOWNS."
"A big scam first they dont tell you witch train you have to take i have to google it. Second fee everywhere 1€ for booking 3,5€ for using a credir card and the best of all 10€ for a refund! Its a refund you should not keepong money scammers"
"Bought a ticket for my daughter with trainline. She got to the station 20 minutes early and checked the platform at the station and on the trainline app and all was correct. Walked to the bottom of the platform where they did not have screens relying on the trainline information. As it happens, the platform was changed and trainline did not updated the information in the app, by the time she realised it was too late, with 2 minutes spare to get to the new platform she missed her train. I called trainline and they were very rude and unhelpful. The manager was too busy apparently doing paperwork to answer the phone and I was told to buy another ticket if I wanted my daughter home. Mavia, I believe it was the name given by the operator promised me a call back from the manager and refused to give me his name. Goes without saying that the call never happened. Don't waste your time booking with trainline, book directly with the train company, you are not saving nothig, if anything when comparing prices it is more expensive."
"I booked advance tickets via Trainline. I paid for them to be posted, but they didn't arrive. I phoned Trainline and was put on hold twice for lengthy periods while the staff apparently tried to find out what their procedure was. Trainline staff refused to re send the tickets, though I explained that I'd opted for this delivery method, because I have very little time and no transport and live some distance from my local station, with no direct bus route. (I never like to risk collection on the day, in case something goes wrong). I emailed and met the same refusal. No one has even offered to refund the postage. Very unhelpful attitude. I won't be using Trainline again."
"Terrible - they switched my destination from Paris Orly Airport to Montparnasse (one hour away by car) without telling me and after checkout I see this and send them an email (they have no phone contact support). After two days they replied, "Paris Orly was not available so we provided a ticket to an alternative location. The ticket is non-refundable so there is nothing we can do." They said it was my fault because I should have checked before checkout. I could understand if they told me that my original destination was not available but they didn't and they changed the destination without confirmation from me. Only a scam outfit would resort to these tactics. DO NOT USE!"
"Do not trust Trainline! Neither the UK nor the EU branch is any good, and they go to considerable lengths to avoid enabling you to contact the EU branch in particular (it's email only, with a response "in 2 days"!). If anything goes wrong with your journey (a delayed train meaning you miss your connection, for instance), they will deny all responsibility for arranging replacement journeys, even though they're the ones who have taken your money. My specific case: travelling via 4 trains from Halle (Germany) to London, with the first train delayed by 25 minutes, meaning I missed all my connections, including the Eurostar. DeutscheBahn was very good (despite the delay, for which they're now notorious): they issued me with replacement tickets on different trains to get me as far as Brussels for my Eurostar. Of course, I still missed the Eurostar connection, but was advised by Eurostar, DeutscheBahn and Trainline UK to contact the Trainline EU office (by email!). Their response? "It's not our fault you've missed the Eurostar: DeutscheBahn have to refund you because they caused the delay." No acknowledgement of the fact that Trainline were the ones who took the money. This was the first time I used their "service", and it will be the last."
"OMG this is the tightest-crowedest/expensiest train I have ever travelled in. Rubbish service Edinburgh-London, they really need to update their game, we will definetly take a flight next time wow"
"I booked the wrong tickets for one day and meant to book them for the following day. This was admittedly my own fault, so I rang customer services in an attempt to change them. His efforts to get my refund and rebook the tickets for the right day were appreciated, however, the lack of decent communication, be it down to the phone lines or just general understanding, meant I ended up assuming I was paying £35 and ended up paying more. I was also extremely confused on when I would get refunded and how much I would be getting back. All very stressful and could have easily been avoided if the workers could have been far more clearer and simpler about what the situation was with my tickets."
Trainline is rated 1.66 based on 64 reviews