SLV.Global Reviews

Telephone
Read SLV.Global Reviews

02070961718

info@slv.global

Tell us how SLV.Global made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
SLV.Global 5 star review on 28th February 2019
SLV.Global 5 star review on 21st July 2017
Sioned rhys
SLV.Global 5 star review on 17th July 2017
More Photos & Videos
An incredible experience! I worked on the mental health project and loved every second of it! SLV staff were always helpful and there to talk and answer any questions. Wonderfully professional people and a joy to work with. I would recommend this organisation to anyone looking for experience in mental health, I couldn't fault it.
A great way to broaden your horizons and consider different perspectives whilst knowing your contributing to part of something bigger.
I volunteered with SLV from June to September 2014, originally I was supposed to stay in Sri Lanka for just 5 weeks but loved it so much I asked to extend and completed a total of 10 weeks. I was promoted while out there to a volunteer coordinator and psychology manager. I loved every minute of my time with SLV, and fell in love with every single project I was a part of especially the special needs projects. The SLV staff are fantastic and are there for you from start to finish of the placement. It is also such a lovely touch getting to stay with families in Sri Lanka as it was so nice to get fully immersed in the culture and feel even more a part of the Sri Lankan culture. I had the opportunity to meet some fantastic people, who will definitely be my friends for life and it was such a great opportunity to meet people who had so much in commen as me. I would definitely recommend being part of SLV to anyone who is considering taking part, it is such an amazing experience I could not recommend more. Sri Lanka is such a beautiful county you will love discovering on your weekend adventures. I would definitely love to go back if opportunity allows, I love it all so much!!
I absolutely loved my time in Sri Lanka, the slv team were so supportive and helpful through out the whole time, and made the experience so much easier. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, and would definitely go again!
I have recently returned from the 5 week psychology placement with SLV and can truly say it was the best experience I have ever had. The country, SLV, the culture, the food, the projects and the other volunteers were beyond incredible. I would highly advise anyone to go not just for the invaluable work experience but to live in such a wonderful culture and meet the lovely people. My only regret is not extending for 10- weeks.
The work SLV are doing in Sri Lanka is absolutely incredible and so inspirational. The staff are dedicated to their work and are extremely caring and helpful towards all of the volunteers. They provide a wide range of projects and give volunteers the opportunity to greatly broaden their experience.
The entire experience was incredibly insightful, educational and hands on. It has helped me to decide what sector I would like to work in and is also something I would highly recommend to others to participate in. It can't be faulted.
I had such a great experience with SLV! It was really fun to combine travelling to a new place, meeting new people and gaining mental health and special needs experience altogether. It is so difficult to gain experience within mental health settings in the UK and my experience in Sri Lanka has definitely opened my eyes to what a career in mental health could involve and has also helped me with applications back here in the UK!
If you are thinking about joining SLV you should go for it - definitely worth it for both the challenges and rewards it throws you!
I would say to date, the SL volunteering experience has been one of the most inspiring opportunities that I have come to experience thus far. As a psychology student at the time, that was planning to enter the mental health sector, I gained invaluable knowledge about a non-western approach to mental health, and the differences these convey not only in treatment, but also the communities view which has a very large impact on the individual, within a collectivistic environment.
- I also loved the fact that I remained within the community that we were helping to support, and not far removed, as this would lessen the entire experience.
Overall, I would actually like to thank the organisation for the perspective I was able to gain, whilst appreciating the increased humility from the work and what we were able to achieve.

all the best
Joining the SLV team and heading out to Sri lanka was by far the best decision that I have made so far! I had the most incredible time in Sri lanka and met the most amazing people! I had the pleasure of meeting and working with some inspirational people and got lots of work experience that you would never get the chance of getting back home in the UK. The SLV team were amazing and the work that they do out in sri lanka changes peoples lives for the better and sure puts a smile on a lot of peoples faces.
As well as working with people with mental health issues, special needs and shadowing clinical psychiatrists, you also get to travel at the weekends and see more of beautiful Sri lanka.
I would recommend anyone to join the SLV team!!! You would certainly have an experience to remember. It was my best summer BY FAR! Thank you so much SLV! I miss you all x
Absolutely loved my time in Sri Lanka. The family we stayed with were so lovely and helpful - I had my birthday whilst we were there and they threw me such a sweet little party. The projects were eye opening and hard at times but still enjoyable. An experience that has helped me with working in hospitals in England and one I won't be forgetting any time soon.
I volunteered with SLV for 5 weeks on the Psychology placement and was based in Kotte. I would describe my time in Sri Lanka as a volunteer as one of the best experiences of my life. It was everything I hoped for, for my first time travelling alone and I think this is largely a result of how organised and caring SLV are about their volunteers. Knowing that they are on call 24/7 is very reassuring, however I never experienced any issues whilst out there. The placements that have been set up in Sri Lanka are phenomenal and even in the first week it is clear to see how much impact they are having on the local community and the service users. I was blown away by the solid relationship that had been built with the projects and as a volunteer this is amazing to be a part of. As with everything, there was a slight negative to the psychology projects in the sense that what was implied with the role wasn't necessarily as hands on and psychology orientated as I expected. However, the experience of going into psychiatric wards and working so closely with patients is something that's very hard to come by in the UK which makes the volunteering experience so unique.
When I first saw my timetable I was slightly disappointed at there being two half days a week psychology based projects, however I began to realise that this was necessary as anything more would've been too intense after a number of weeks. The other placements that were offered alongside it were something I thoroughly enjoyed, especially the teaching.
Alongside the placements I'd like to commend SLV on how great their setup in Sri Lanka is, the idea of volunteers living with families is an excellent aspect and was something that made the trip what it was. It is clear to see that the families who have been selected have the volunteers and organisations best interests at heart and are all genuinely lovely people. Living with the families and other volunteers really made me feel at home whilst being in Sri Lanka as well as feeling truly immersed within the culture and customs of the locals.
Overall I would say my time in Sri Lanka was incredible and I'd simply like to thanks SLV for facilitating this amazing experience, I'd recommend people considering it to go in a heart beat.
Honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made! SLV gave me the oppertunity to work in so many different settings and roles, and it really opened my eyes to many specific aspects of psychology in practice. Also I feel SLV developed me a lot as a person and I would most certainly do it all again. The team are really nice and I was always given enough support and training. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for worthwhile expereince abroad.

Habeeb.
Amazing once in a lifetime experience that actually makes a difference. This placement offers so many experiences, there is so much variety. From teaching children and youths in a variety of settings (schools, in the community and orphanages to name a few), running activities in special needs homes, psychiatric facilities and rehabilitation centres. With the oppotunity to gain some skills in workshops and to shadow a clinical psychiatrist on a typical day. I really enjoyed my time in
Sri Lanka, not just because of the travelling at weekends and the heartwarming projects, but for the amazing and accommodating staff and fellow volunteers. I felt safe and looked after with SLV and confident that as a cog in their machine, I was making a difference to the people of Sri Lanka. A huge boost for a cv with little to no previous work experience. I have made so many new friends and unforgettable memories. Thank you SLV.
One of the best experiences I have had! After my third week on this placement I decided that 5 weeks would not be long enough and I therefore extended to a 10 week placement and took on the role of coordinator, which meant I could help new volunteers to have the fulfilling and amazing experience I have had. It has helped me discover what I would be most interested in when considering a career in psychology and enabled me to have a completely new cultural experience. The main thing I have learnt from this experience is that you get out exactly what you put in - I was eager to learn, motivated and open-minded, all of which enabled me to have the best experience I could have possibly had. I made so many life-long friends and really enjoyed my time in Sri Lanka. I highly recommend this placement for psychology students/graduates looking for experience in teaching, mental health or special needs and anyone who wants to make a difference!
Words can't quite describe how amazing this one experience was for me. Not only have I made the best of friends with some people but I was able to immerse mysel into a culture and truly understand their values and way of living. This was definately a shock for myself and many others but a fantastic shock it was. I loved working with the community and less fortunate, it enabled me to thrive. I did the 12 week placement but was lucky Enough to have a week of for Sinhala new year. Sri Lanka as a country is beautiful, if I hadnt of gone for 12 weeks if of missed so many amazing places to visit at the weekend! Loved my placement with SLV. Thank you!!
I was a coordinator in Sri Lanka for 10 weeks this past summer. The experience I gained was absolutely phenomenal. Since my freshman year of university I started saving up money because I knew that I wanted to work abroad. When I started looking into programs in Mental Health a year ago, most opportunities that I found were advocacy internships and not the hands on clinical experience that I was seeking. All of the programs that I found through my school in California and online were extremely unaffordable. When I happened upon SLV, I was so thrilled to see this program was not only affordable but it was all-inclusive giving me a chance to gain experience in teaching children and youths, work with those with special needs, and run therapeutic activities within a psychiatric hospital. Having been there for 10 weeks, I can attest to how well rounded this program is and the unforgettable memories that I have formed. The projects challenged me and gave me great insight to not only mental health in the cultural context of Sri Lanka, but also about myself. Leaving after 10 weeks, I am now absolutely certain that I want to work within the field of mental health for the rest of my life. This program made me more motivated to pursue my passion within the field of mental health. The past 10 weeks were a life changing experience that I will never forget. I absolutely recommend this program to anyone looking for more experience teaching, working with special needs, and in mental health.
Had a phenomenal time!! Lucy and co-ordinatirs were amazing and extremely helpful! Such a rewarding experience from which I learnt and grew as a result of. Life changing experience, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to make even a small enough difference to put a smile on someone's face!
I could not be happier with this placement from the moment I was greeted at colombo airport to the many heart-felt goodbyes on my departure. I have met so many inspiring people and I have learn't an immeasurable amount during the many workshops, field trips and projects making this the most enlightening, insightful and amazing opportunity I have experienced so far. SLV are an immensely organised and supportive organisation, there was no point during my placement that I felt alone or as though there was no one to contact if I had a problem. Overall, I could not recommend this placement more!
SLV.Global is rated 4.58 based on 180 reviews