SLV.Global Reviews

Telephone
Read SLV.Global Reviews

02070961718

info@slv.global

Tell us how SLV.Global made you happy
Would you like to add photos or videos?
SLV.Global 5 star review on 28th February 2019
SLV.Global 5 star review on 21st July 2017
Sioned rhys
SLV.Global 5 star review on 17th July 2017
More Photos & Videos
I was so glad to have found this this organisation when I did! After graduating and being unable to achieve what I wanted due to lack of experience, I found what I needed and more in the placements in both Sri Lanka for 6 weeks and Bali for 4 weeks. It's not about shadowing a professional in the field, but being involved in activities which can be deemed therapeutic. There is also a lot of teaching which I did not necessarily expect but ended up enjoying more than I initially thought. I was able to learn so much about myself and it managed to gradually open up windows of opportunity for me which I am grateful for. I'm pretty sure I would not have been accepted to study my Master's course without the experience and support from everyone involved. For anyone who cares about Psychology, especially mental health, I would recommend getting involved to boost the experience on your CV.
Hi Shanice, thank you for sharing your experience. It was a pleasure to have you join our teams twice and congratulations on being accepted for your course. Please do keep in touch and best of luck in your future career.
I have been lucky enough to participate in both SLV Sri Lanka and SLV Bali (yes it's that good I went twice!!!) The work this organisation enables its volunteers to achieve is amazing! Not only was I able to gain invaluable mental health experience, I was able to learn, develop and apply new skills which I know will stay with me. I felt supported and empowered by the SLV.Global staff and reassured by the passion they have for the work done. I would highly recommend these placements to anyone and encourage anyone thinking about applying to go for it!
Hi Harriette, thank you so much for being a part of the team twice. You have been amazing and we loved having you. Please keep in touch and all the best for the future.
I took part in a 6 week mental health placement in Sri Lanka and was able to not only gain extremely valuable hands on experience within the field of psychology and mental health but was also able to experience mental health and social care from a completely different cultural perspective. Being totally immersed in the culture was a huge highlight for me and I enjoyed working within a team of volunteers where I was able to share my skills and knowledge as well as learn from the team. I would highly recommend this organisation and experience for anyone looking to acquire meaning experience in the field of psychology. Thank you SLV.Global 😊
Thank you for your commitment to the team, Alice. You were a great addition to the team. Please do stay in touch and best of luck for the future.
I participated in the Ancient & Clinical Psychology Placement with SLV.Global in India. I have always had an interest in alternative approaches to Mental Health and I really enjoyed the sessions with the clinical psychologist about how she uses yoga and meditation to treat her clients! NIMHANS psychiatric hospital was an eye-opening experience and I learnt a great deal about psychiatric care in India. Our weekend in Mysore was a great way to spend the end of the trip.
Hi Marie-Anne, thank you for the review. It's great to hear about how much you've learned from the India placement. All the best for the future and keep in touch!
I did the Graduate Mental Health placement in Sri Lanka with SLV.Global and I would really recommend it. The team in the country were really supportive and helpful, especially as it was my first time travelling on my own! I also loved living with the family and getting a real taste of the culture. The projects were really interesting and varied and I had the opportunity to work with such a range of different individuals from the community. I found it really valuable to gain hands on experience and since I got back I got accepted to study a masters in psychology, which was definitely because of the experience I had in Sri Lanka.
Hi Hannah, thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations! It was a pleasure to have you on the team. Please keep in touch and all the best in your future career.
Probably the best decision I ever made! I travelled to Sri Lanka and completed the 12 week Mental Health Placement just after I graduated. I'd never been away from home for so long before but time just flew by! You experience so many different settings and projects and everything is really hands-on so you get first hand experience of working directly with service users. I took so many new skills away from my placement and have been able to apply them to my career and work in the UK since getting back. Thank you to everyone at SLV for making it possible!
Thank you for the review. We're pleased to hear that you were able to gain so much from your placement. Please do keep in touch and we wish you all the best in your future career.
I was a volunteer on the Graduate Mental Health Program late last year and had such an amazing time!! I had travelled a few times before this but after being there for three months I feel like it it was like a second home!! My homestay family was so friendly and the Slv team really made me feel at home with all the training and support :D I am planning on going to India this summer too as I really want to stand out from the crowd with my MSc Psych applications!
Hi Kara, thank you so much for your commitment to the team. You were a great addition to the team! We would love to have you back on the team for India so get in touch.
I would highly recommend SLV Global, the support before and during my placement was very good and I felt comfortable as soon as I landed in Bali. I gained experience working in different environments in the community, schools and hospitals which has been a great benefit to my CV. I have used what I have learnt during my placement and examples in interviews since I have returned home. The week is challenging but so rewarding! And this makes your weekends very important, and within a few hours travel from the village you can get to explore so many beautiful beaches in Bali!
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It's great to hear about how much you've gained from the placement. Please keep in touch and good luck for the future.
SLV was one of the best decisions I have ever made! The work was really worthwhile and definitely aided my career thinking since returning from Sri Lanka!

You work with such a diverse range of projects on a weekly basis, I was working in psychiatric facilities, residential centres for children and adults who suffer from various special needs. You also are able to take part in various organised workshops and field trips that are run by local professionals. My favourite was shadowing a local psychiatrist as he completed his homestay visits around the community, it was a real insight into the different approaches and challenges towards mental health in Sri Lanka!

The absolute highlight was the guys I shared my homestay with, we didn't know each other in the beginning and we've all stayed in touch since leaving. At the weekends you get to travel and witness the beauty of Sri Lanka. We all want to go again!

I'd recommend the SLV placement to anyone who wants to gain experience working directly with people and to learn different approaches to mental health. The placement is well organised, the staff are really friendly and supportive and you will probably make friends for life!
Thank you for being a part of the team and sharing your review. We're glad to hear you had a positive experience. Please do stay in touch and all the best for the future.
I would recommend this to any person that had studied psychology and wanted to get more experience. I had never been to Asia before and I loved Sri Lanka so much. The projects were each so different and loved each one differently. Being at the psychiatric hospital was challenging but it was a really valuable experience. My homestay family could not have been more welcoming and though I did not like spicy food when I arrived I got used to it and actually started to enjoy it. The SLV team were great before I left and I enjoyed getting to know my supervisors and national team when I was there. Also since I have been back the team have acted as a referee for me for two healthcare positions which was really use. If you are thinking about doing this - you should.
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your placement. Please do keep in touch and good luck for the future!
Changed my life! Best decision I ever made! I did the Mental Health Placement in Sri Lanka earlier this year and I am so glad I did. I was nervous before I left as I did not know anyone but after arriving I felt instantly at ease. The SLV team could not have been more accommodating and they did everything they could to ensure we were well supported. I loved all of the projects, especially the projects working with people with special needs, I did not have my experience initially but my coordinators and national team helped me out. It was great having weekends off to explore Sri Lanka and finally I got the opporunity to learn to surf! Could not recommend this enough!
Thank you so much for taking to time to write this, Jonny. Please stay in touch and all the best for the future.
I spent 12 weeks in Sri Lanka on the Graduate Mental Health Placement. We spent our weeks working on various projects; a psychiatric facility, special needs centres, and teaching english at a temple and at a youth centre. Everyone I met whilst in Sri Lanka was friendly and helpful. I was in a homestay with 8 other girls and our homestay family was lovely and always had advice for our weekend travels. Getting to explore Sri Lanka at the weekends was great, it's a beautiful country with plenty to see! I would definitely recommend SLV to anyone looking to gain hands on experience in mental health.
Thanks for being a part of the team and sharing your experience. Please do keep in touch and we wish you all the best for the future.
I had such an amazing time volunteering with SLV in Sri Lanka for 3 months!! It is such a beautiful country and I have made friends for life there, in the other volunteers but also in the homestay family too. I couldn't find the same type of experience here in the UK that allowed me to teach, and work with people with mental health issues and also special needs - I began my MSc shortly after I came back from Sri Lanka and having had that first-hand experience with Global Mental Health was invaluable! I would highly recommend to everyone thinking about applying.
Thank you so much for all your hard work and your feedback! It's great to hear how your placement helped. Please do keep in touch and we wish you all the best for the future.
I did a 5 week Mental Health Placement in Sri Lanka. I felt like I was really immersed in the culture by living with a homestay family and I gained some valuable experience from my time in the country. I also really enjoyed the fact that I could go and travel with other volunteers on the weekends, there's so much to do in Sri Lanka and everyone is so friendly.

I volunteered in a number of different wards in the psychiatric facilities and I enjoyed teaching English (an experience I hadn't had before). I actually surprised myself and found this the most interesting part of the placement - having to think outside the box and keep people motivated and engaged to learn.

Since returning from Sri Lanka, I have finished my masters. I felt my experience teaching made me a lot more confident standing up in front of a number of people and presenting my dissertation. I have also worked in the NHS where one of the service users I worked with was Sri Lankan. We were able to chat about mental health from a different cultural and spiritual perspective and I felt my professional relationship with him was improved by the fact I had volunteered in mental health in Sri Lanka.
Hi Kit, thank you so much for sharing your experiences and congratulations on finishing your Masters! You were an awesome part of the team! Please keep in touch and we wish you all the best in your future career.
I loved every minute in Sri Lanka!

I will be forever grateful to SL Volunteers for the amazing opportunity they gave me.
Lucy and Yasintha were greatly supportive and my placement was the most enriching experience I have ever had.
I loved the philosophy of SLV which discourages the awful concept of "Volontourism" and I felt privileged to give my little contribution to this fantastic company. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, and, if I could I would definitely go again.
Keep up the fantastic work!
Hi Laura, thank you for your commitment to the team and taking the time to write this. We enjoyed having you on the team. Please do keep in touch and all the best for the future!
A sheer delightful bunch of people to work with. Very well organised and an invaluable experience! Visiting people in the community who were very generous especially in their warmth in welcoming the SlV team. Highly recommend it!
Hi Zarah, thank you so much for taking the time to share your views. We loved having you on the team! Please do keep in touch and we wish you all the best for the future.
This experience taught me a lot of useful skills.

This experience helped me to rediscover the beautiful country as being a Sri Lankan myself, I did not think that I would have new things to discover about Sri Lanka. However, I learnt a lot about Sri Lanka and the people of Sri Lanka whilst volunteering with SLV. During the weekend travels, you get to discover beautiful places that differ from one to the other, around the country.

The staff are very friendly, helpful and understanding. They will help you through the placement journey. Furthermore, though you receive a lot of help and guidance, the placement teaches you about the importance of teamwork as you plan all of your sessions together. This helps you to observe and learn at first, from the volunteers who have already been there for a while.

Moreover, the homestay families are very caring, attentive and kean to learn a lot about you! The families love to share their way of life and culture with you and are eager to do so.

After spending 12 weeks as a Special Needs volunteer/coordinator, I learnt a lot about myself and lots of new skills as to how it is important to be responsible, friendly and how important it is to really care about others. Furthermore, being on this placement taught me a lot about, how helpful therapy is as I do not come from a psychology background.

All in all, SLV really cares about YOUR experience and it also values teamwork, which combined together provides you a great platform to gain an absolutely great and useful experience in Sri Lanka.
I spent 8 weeks in Sri Lanka on the Psychology placement and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. I gained so much from working at the projects and also met some friends for life in other volunteers. I had never been to Asia before but I felt so well supported by both the National and International staff at SLV, it was such an incredible experience I wish it wasn't over!
I did a 6 week placement in Sri Lanka and was so sad to come home! I wish I had extended now. It's such great fun to do something completely out of your comfort zone. It was truly a great experience, the people, the homestay, the projects and of course - the weekends! Initially it can be quite daunting and overwhelming, but you soon get so wrapped up in the Sri Lankan way of life, you forget about all these worries. You are constantly on the move, which is great as it keeps you busy. The projects are fun - some more enjoyable than others. I was on a Psychology Placement and actually found that I enjoyed the teaching projects the most - even though that was what I was most nervous about. Have made some life-long friends and some great memories - thanks SLV :)
The best experience of my life! I got to explore Sri Lanka and all of its wonderful culture, whilst teaching some of the most amazing kids and adults I have ever met. I got to see how the other side of the world copes and treats mental illness and it was an unforgettable eye-opening experience, definitely one of a kind. I would happily volunteer with SLV again and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a memorable opportunity. I couldn't have asked for anything more.
SLV.Global is rated 4.58 based on 180 reviews