Scottish Power Reviews

6% of reviewers recommend Scottish Power

How would you rate Scottish Power?

"Useless in Energy industry....Incompetent, Unreliable, Dishonest."
"I am paying for the boiler care plus plan and i have been left without heating and hot water for 2 weeks. Customer service useless, signposting from one person to the other, for 5days. Never called back and i every time i was calling saying that i was expecting a phonecall i had to say everything from the beginning. And still no help! In the end, i had to pay someone else to come and sort it out. Why was i paying almost £20 per month? For nothing!"
"To sum up my time with Scottish Power so far (since October 2017): Two failed attempts to set up my account, with no one contacting me on either occasion to rectify the situation. Advised the wrong time on the phone for an electricity related job which resulted in it being missed One missed all-day gas job with no phone call until afterwards by the gas meter installer One gas-related job that didn’t go ahead because it had not actually been booked, despite one person booking it for me and then someone else confirming to me (but with a different timeslot) the day before when I phoned up to check Two promised call-backs that didn’t happen Lots and lots of time spent on hold and a bunch of days taken off work only for me to be stood up repeatedly. I am still waiting for my gas meter installed, and this is severely holding up other works going on with my flat. I just can’t wait for it to be over with, needless to say I will be swapping supplier immediately after!"
Mr John Coates
"Scottish Power's so-called help-line must be the worst experience I have ever had. I have exchanged several e-mails with them to resolve a problem with my billing and it is a frustrating waste of my time. They are the most dysfunctional company it has ever been my displeasure to deal with."
"What went wrong?? What went right more like. Had no heat or hot water for 3 weeks, engineer turns up and tells me he doesn't have the part as we cannot afford it as the sub contractors have lost the contract with Scottish power which means that they have no engineers til the next contract comes into force which will be April. No engineers and then the engineer comes out and slates Scottish power, to the point where he advises me to get compensation and take them for all I can get. Spoke to a rhuri, a Guy with a New Zealand accent. He tells me that they will call me asap when parts are available. Little does he know their engineer has already told me everything! Rhuri then tells me I can't speak to a manager and I can raise a complaint. Something I've still not had a response to, called in everyday for 3 weeks! My advice to everyone would be to get a third party to fix repairs and bill Scottish power as they are outside their 24 hour breakdown promise. Shocking and I'd be surprised if there were no deaths because of their incompetence."
Paul Evans
"Customer service is none existent. If you can get through on the phone which is very difficult they are only interested in their own opinion. Website will only direct you to stock answers. Tried e-mailing but responses were obviously from an automatic system that picked out key words and provided stock answers rather than answering the question. A lot of problems with arranging installation of smart meter. Increased monthly direct debit from £36 to £209 despite the fact that I was already £136 in credit. Will be changing to another supplier as soon as my contract is up."
Mr Nicholas Campbell
"I was with the company before and it was ok. Since I re-joined last year the price keeps going up despite the fact I am on a fixed one year tariff and I am constantly careful with the electricity used in my one bedroom flat. Not happy at all and I can not wait for the year to pass bye to switch supplier. There are plenty to choose from after all. Don't be afraid of a change."
Stuart Bailey
"My contract expires at the end of March but the contract they offered did not compare with one they offered on one day of the comparison sites"
"I am on my 9th night now without my boiler being fixed. I am a single working (12 hour days) father with a 7 year old son. have been paying this a cover for 2 years and am a SP gas/electric customer, although I wont be next week as am switching based upon the way they treat us. I had a engineer come out (sub contractor) the day after I logged the call., i thought this isn't so bad, maybe the negative reviews are just a minority... He said he knew the problem and ordered the part there and then, he showed me on his i-pad. Whiel he was there he boasted about being on at least £500 per day as a subbie to scottish power, it is in their interest to string out jobs to take more of our money. No boiler/gas engineers are employed by Scottish power. Nothing happened until Monday when I called them for an update (they promised they would call me but the failed), they told me the part was order that day, Monday, FOUR days after i was told it was ordered. On the Wednesday an engineer came out....with the wrong part! This is a week now since I originally called them. So Mr "I'm on £500 a day" ordered the wrong part ...... obviously. I called them, because they will NOT call you, remember this, and was told they were 'very sorry' and said they had order the new part and hopefully will be sorted out tomorrow. I called them yesterday (Thursday 22/02) and was told they ordered the NEW part that day, even though the engineer had ordered it the day before but they couldn't confirm it had actually been ordered, and it's not looking likely that it will be sorted this weekend and it's -5C currently. I pay for this service upfront, they act like you are a hindrance and that they are doing us a favour, it's disgusting the way they treat the very people who pay their wages and without us there is no Scottish Power. Yesterday while talking again to their emergency team I could hear the people in the call centre all shouting and laughing and having a great time in the background, while us paying MUGS get the worst service I have ever known. They lie to us, whilst taking our hard earned money and treat us like s**t.. They should not be able to get away with this, OFGEM or some consumer group need to get involved ASAP and shut this shower of s**t down. I will cancel anything I have with Scottish Power, and urge everyone I know, and everyone they know to switch to another provider."
Andrew Turner
Unverified Reviewer
"I have been with Scottish Power for the past 12 months with no complaints about the service but always look to see if there are better deals elsewhere at the end of the contract. Scottish Power wanted to increase my costs from £85/month to £115/month. I found Tonik Energy on a comparison site, 100% green renewable energy with great rates for gas and electricity, saved me £300 by switching to Tonik. Smooth switch and a free £20 Amazon voucher. If you fancy switching and would also like a complimentary £20 Amazon voucher please feel free to copy and paste the link into your browser ... https:// tonikenergy.mention-me.com /m/ol/ch9ox-ec55efa530 Don't forget to take out the two spaces in the link before using it."
"I am an OAP person, Scottish Power are trying to rip me of for £85.00 a month. Unrealistic increase to monthly agreed DD payment for over 100% of the original contract agreement after only approx. 8 weeks. My actual monthly usage of power for both electricity and gas is realistically established at around £40.00 per month. I am a single person living in a small sheltered housing 1 bed flat . Thanks to Scottish Power I have not been able to afford to use my central heating this winter because the charge works out at around £00. 50 pence per hour for gas to basically heat my very small home."
"Scottish power homecare is a joke, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. This company Is s joke, they sell you lies and then have the cheek to take 3 days for sn engineer to come out to assess the problem, even though the customer service advisor said they carry parts for my boiler so should be able to fix it on the day! It is now day 3 with no heating with no confirmation of an expected date of repair. What do these jokers think I am paying for? Substandard service does not work for me, especially when I am cold. Hopefully this service goes out of business real soon"
"Dishonest, unreliable, incompetent. In 6 months they missed 3 appointments, lied about it, and completely failed to follow any of the guidelines. Did not honour their duty to change metering when requested. Their website is designed to prevent anyone from complaining. You have to spend hours waiting on the phone. When I did manage to lodge a complaint they closed it without asking me. And to cap it all, three months after I finally managed to get rid of them they sent me a bill for £60, even though I was on a prepayment meter that was in credit. Apparently demanding money for services that you have not provided is not a criminal offence - it's a "minor customer service issue". If you do go with these cowboys, save yourself some time and contact the Energy Ombudsman beforehand."
"We have boiler and central heating cover with SP. Most years they arrange a boiler service and cancel at the last minute due to emergency call outs. Why not employ more staff then? We have not had our boiler serviced since December 2016. They arranged to come out in Dec 2017 but cancelled the night before due to emergencies. We now have an appointment for this week (Feb 2018). I argue that I am paying for an annual service but it is now 14 months since it has been done so they are not fulfilling their contract. They argue that in the terms and conditions it states that they will endeavour to service the boiler annually but if there are emergency call outs they will take preference. We think they are in breach of contract. We will not be surprised if this weeks boiler service is also cancelled. We will be cancelling our contract with them. Avoid at all costs. They are not interested in their customers, only in getting your monthly direct debit payments."
"I feel ashamed to give this company 1 star as this is giving them too much credit. DO NOT throw your money away. If you feel the urge to get rid of your hard earned cash, give it to a charity as it will be put to better use. Just been on hold for 30 minutes to only be told that the booking for the annual inspection of our boiler was cancelled for the third time. Scottish Power didn't have the courtesy to call and let us know nobody was going to come today. I will be cancelling my service and demanding a full refund of money paid to date. Let's see whether Scottish Power will do the right thing. I bet Scottish Power are so complacent, they will not even bother responding to this post."
"No hot water on water only setting on my boiler, but hot water on heating and water setting, so as l am on a service plan called Scottish power up. The engineer came out and said it was a valve that wanted replacing and Scottish power would ring me when they had the part and arrange a date to fit it. I was called on the day of fitting and told that it would not be done as my boiler wanted a power flush, to which I replied my heating is fine its my hot water that's the problem but they were adamant it wanted doing. I am still waiting for a manager to ring me as I have asked two British gas engineers about my problem and they say the valve should be changed and only if that does not cure it a power flush should be done, It seems they are trying to get some extra money out of me for something that might not need doing because how do they know there is sludge in the system if they have not drained it to find out,"
"awful company for the elderly awful company for the elderly. they dont keep open the winter warm front till the 31st jan like they should. For those that have just found out they are entitled to this scheme beacuse of their illness or age. This company couldn't care less about their customers needs. Wether they are elderly or sick. What has happend to the customer is aways right? Very bad customers pratice . Stay away and go elsewhere!!! Useful"
"AVOID*******. If there was a minus on stars would give!!!! Never came out to service boiler in 13 months when broke down refused to fix stipulating not covered as sludge in system as needed power flush and not covered advised pipework needed replacing and most likely new boiler. When complained delightfully told not part of ombudsman scheme and sludge policy quoted advising take us to court if your not happy! Independant engineer fixed in two hours replacing three parts also showing clear water in system and no sludge!!!! Its how they weedle out the contract- BE WARNED!!!!!!"
Donald Murdoch
Verified Reviewer
"I have been waiting for a year for this horrible company to resolve an issue. They allocated a second property to my account and were sending bills for an unknown woman to me. Despite letters to them confirming that she did not live here, the continued to send bills . I did their dirty work and notified them of this woman's proper address whereupon they removed my address and substituted the other. I wrote to their senior directors and was told "don't worry, we'll sort it out" Nothing has happened and every time I remind them, i get "our technical team are still working on it" This has got to be the worst company to be a customer of. They ignore letters and patently do not give a toss about loyal customers. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. They have incompetent staff and management who seem more interested in trousering bonuses."
"Staff are rude, arrogant, do not listen and fail to act upon promises made. Customer Service is clearly NOT a priority for this Service Provider. But the bigger issue is the Management which is clearly also reflected in the high staff turnover. Also what sort of a professional organisation works on guestimates given they have meter readings and facts. Avoid Scottish Power like the plague. Everything mentioned above can be supported by emails and letters we have received / sent."
Scottish Power is rated 1.31 based on 52 reviews